World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by xthetenth »

French tanks are really fun if you know what you're doing. That autoloader is a great tool or an open invitation to die uselessly depending on your skill or your enemies' skill.

The rewards can be great though:

...Yeah, that's a tier 7 light tank with a kill on a tier 6 heavy, a tier 9(!) heavy, a tier 7 light, tier 8 heavy, and a tier 8 heavy.

I sniped the ARL at the start of the round, rained fire on that 59 and other ARL and AMX, then I went for a run in which I bagged the AMX 13 with a miss and a hit, swung round a building and popped the Löwe with two shots while a friend slipped a round in, then slewed around to hit the T32 in the rear for three kills in a mag. Then I went up that camping hill near the I spawn and killed the AMX 50 from about 40% while dodging two of his shells and then got within one shot of killing that KV-5 before it killed me.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Could you trim or shrink that image?

Also, what's the autoloader like? How fast do you fire before the autoloader runs out of rounds?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Fair enough on that image, it'll take a little bit I'm grinding with friends so I can't spare the time for image editing right now, but I'll get it later.

The autoloader is nice and terrible. It can crank out shots like little else. I think the reload on the 100mm cannon is something on the order of 4 or so seconds, but it takes well over 30 seconds to reload. The 75 is fast to empty but very fast to reload. The 90 is somewhere in between. It's real nice on the attack but it takes so long to reload that it's a real decision whether or not to top off after an engagement.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, so how many rounds are there in the autoloader? Four?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Six till you get the 120, then four. A lot of hurt but little enough a decent fight means reloading.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Heads up we have another x5 event incoming. Also all tanks tier 5 and bellow (including premium tanks are half off). There are a couple other small deals, but that is the majority of it.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanks for the heads-up, Sorchus. This might be a good time for me to try a new line a bit, maybe snag that Hetzer or do something completely different...

Hell, maybe even spring for a small premium tank, tier 2-5.

I'm strongly tempted to get a Matilda purely because I'm sentimental about Matildas. Any comments on that, or other suggestions?
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Matildas are decent, and give some practice at heavy tanks, but are frustrating because they basically can't hurt a T6 most of the time. And so very slow. I can't think of a slower tank that I have ever driven. Still fun enough. Like most premium tanks it has it's good aspects and some really bad parts.

Personally I think I am picking up a Ram and a T25. The Ram has a reputation as a good strong tank and the T25 is basically a baby panther so what is not to love about it. Although I will have to get rid of my T127 to fit both in my garage, I really think I am done with the fun but low tier tank. And the only other I was seriously considering was the T14. But I have a KV sitting in my garage so I shouldn't need a T5 heavy to run.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I'm currently playing Tier 6 on my main trees- it's not player experience I want to build, as a decent credit-maker.

If Matildas can do that acceptably I'll take one.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Matildas are decent, and give some practice at heavy tanks, but are frustrating because they basically can't hurt a T6 most of the time. And so very slow. I can't think of a slower tank that I have ever driven. Still fun enough. Like most premium tanks it has it's good aspects and some really bad parts.

Personally I think I am picking up a Ram and a T25. The Ram has a reputation as a good strong tank and the T25 is basically a baby panther so what is not to love about it. Although I will have to get rid of my T127 to fit both in my garage, I really think I am done with the fun but low tier tank. And the only other I was seriously considering was the T14. But I have a KV sitting in my garage so I shouldn't need a T5 heavy to run.

My roommate has a T-14 and likes it, he usually runs it along side my Churchill, which is a lot of fun if we're at or near the top of the bracket.

I've been thinking about getting a Matilda myself, but christ its slow.

I did just get an AT-1 back, I hated it the first time I had it, but I got a new graphics card since then, and its a lot nicer now that I can actually aim.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Love my AT-1 (helps I'm still building up the credits for my first tier III), but yeah, the new patch giving me 9 fps until I get hit and 3 when I do, vs. 3 and 1 made things much, much more fun.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Sounds like you need a graphics card too
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

It is somewhat annoying to have several matches in a row where you kill more 4 or more enemy tanks while in a KV and yet your team still loses because the base team doesn't defend properly ~_~.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

As you can see from this table, many, but not all, premium tanks get pretty dirty matchmaking, so the Tilly gets many opportunities to perform well, while the T-25 and Ram II can be expected to face heavier foes.

Note that the Char B2 (as it is the only Tier 4 heavy, so does not get it's own line) and Valentine should be expected to never face a Tier 5 or above. I don't know that I can really say that the Matilda is a better buy than the Churchill - it's slower and less heavily armored, has fewer hitpoints - but it's more maneuverable and lower profile, which may give it better stealth qualities.

Still, it's the Tilly. :)
Zinegata wrote:It is somewhat annoying to have several matches in a row where you kill more 4 or more enemy tanks while in a KV and yet your team still loses because the base team doesn't defend properly ~_~.
Err, I may have been responsible for a case like that - driving the beta Sherman on Ruinberg, the two enemy KVs (we had no heavies) went town, destroying everything in their path. One got seven kills.

I got nine.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Nah, for me the problem isn't an enemy tanker who went insane and killed 9 tanks. My problem is that after cleaning up all enemy tanks in the enemy base (often with a Top Gun achievement), I find that our own base defense has collapsed and I'm the only one still alive in my team to cap the enemy base.

It's like the game is telling me "Yes, you're pretty good. But you still fail because of your team!"

Still, nine kills on the beta Sherman? Impressive!
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Agent Sorchus wrote: And the only other I was seriously considering was the T14.
The T-14 is the worst tank in the game - 92 penetration on a tier 5 heavy. The churchill gets more penetration and deals more damage/minute. Get a Type59 for money or a tier 2/3 tank for experience.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Thunderfire wrote:
Agent Sorchus wrote: And the only other I was seriously considering was the T14.
The T-14 is the worst tank in the game - 92 penetration on a tier 5 heavy. The churchill gets more penetration and deals more damage/minute. Get a Type59 for money or a tier 2/3 tank for experience.
The T-14 is considerably more mobile though.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

Zinegata wrote:
Thunderfire wrote:
The T-14 is considerably more mobile though.

It also has better armor, at least on the turret.

I had nice match on my KV-1S tonight, top gun with seven kills, steel wall, reaper and a Boelter's Medal, I brutalized around half of the other team.

Power to the Peaceful

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The T-14 is a medium broom.

Driving a medium of a similar tier and seeing this thing always puts the fear of God in me.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I'd strongly consider the German premium version of the char B. As it stands now, it can't fight most if not all tier fives, and if it's at all like the French version it's got good armor and drives pretty well. For a tier four that's a pretty good deal.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I picked up the T-25 and Ram. The char B2 was not on my list because I already have a valentine, I do not need another.

So far the T25 is more fun, and if might get a french style autoloader. One can hope anyway. The Ram has been hit harder by the silly Type59, whereas I can at least HE spam them in the T25.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I still think I'm going for the Matilda. While other premiums may work better for other people, I'm OK with it being a sort of slow plodding medium/heavy tank, and the German!Char doesn't appeal much to me because of the lack of armor penetration.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The T-25 is a really genuinely good tank from what I can tell. Also, trust me, Type 59 drivers fucking hate HE. I don't think that's changed much with the new HE mechanics.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Type 59 has no real staying power with its tiny HP pool, so even a couple of HE shots can take away a good chunk of its life.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Zinegata wrote:The Type 59 has no real staying power with its tiny HP pool, so even a couple of HE shots can take away a good chunk of its life.
That's why when I drive my Type 59 I take half-load HE. Keeps all the other Type 59s on their toes. I still love the Type 59, even if it does have easy matchmaking and all those other faults people keep talking about.
Image[