World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks

Post by The Vortex Empire »

So after about 15 awful rounds with my A-20, I ended up with a round on that map with the huge gorge in the middle. I'm on one side, and I spot a Sherman on the other side of the map, which is about 300 yards distant. I open fire with my 45 mm, and the very first shot ignites the Sherman's fuel tank, bringing it down to around 60%, when I lose sight of it. Later in the match I run into the same tank, and just circle around it pouring shots in and dodging the Sherman's fire, and manage to kill it. Then I get one-shot by a Hetzer. I hate this damn thing.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Vortex Empire wrote:So after about 15 awful rounds with my A-20, I ended up with a round on that map with the huge gorge in the middle. I'm on one side, and I spot a Sherman on the other side of the map, which is about 300 yards distant. I open fire with my 45 mm, and the very first shot ignites the Sherman's fuel tank, bringing it down to around 60%, when I lose sight of it. Later in the match I run into the same tank, and just circle around it pouring shots in and dodging the Sherman's fire, and manage to kill it. Then I get one-shot by a Hetzer. I hate this damn thing.
It's alright. Eventually, the A-20 will stop hurting once you get that shiny new T-34. I hated the living shit out of the A-20, and will easilly call it the worst tank in the whole damn game.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The A-20 is a strong contender for worst overall tank in the game. It's right up there with the M5 Stuart, although the HE change hit that hard. Stock, the T34 gives it a run for its money, as does the VK 3001 P, but those get better. The A-20 doesn't really get better.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I can't wait for those dumb T-59s to get nerfed too. Tier 7 matchmaking, on a tank with Tier 9 frontal armor, Tier 8 hitpoints? and it's sole weakness is that it uses a 'T6' russian gun (read: T8 everyone else damage output). Whole being blazing fast.

Herrrp.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

New hate for type 59 drivers, my IS-3 bounced two shots from a JagdTiger. One front and one rear. Then after killing an E75 with a shot on the rear of the turret a type 59 pens with every shot no matter which direction of armor I put towards him.

Gold rounds really make that thing a reaper. And I have come to the opinion that outside of CW gold rounds are retarded to use in pubs.

EDIT: Fucking 8 59s on the oposing team for the next battle.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

I enjoy the gameplay, but the grinding tends to make me not want to play instead of encouraging me to keep pushing. The test servers and their fast exp gain and people actually moving instead of camping also makes the real game hard to play.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Nephtys wrote:I can't wait for those dumb T-59s to get nerfed too. Tier 7 matchmaking, on a tank with Tier 9 frontal armor, Tier 8 hitpoints? and it's sole weakness is that it uses a 'T6' russian gun (read: T8 everyone else damage output). Whole being blazing fast.

Herrrp.
Actually it has more like tier 7.5 HP, 1300 is piss poor at tier 8, 1400 or so is far more normal. Also, I take it you haven't had to drive a high tier Russian medium. The D10T is very good at tier 6, even at tier 7, and sucks donkey balls at tier 8. The Pershing's 90 is better in every single way. That's not a figure of speech, it's literal unvarnished truth. It accelerates noticeably worse than the Pershing and PII, let alone the T-44, can't pivot turn, has a gun only comparable in alpha (not DPS), and has thin sides and seems to be made out of fuel tank and ammo rack. The entire tank apart from the front armor is a weakness.

Come to think of it, the most similar tier 8 in terms of driving characteristics is the 4502 ausf A. Lower top speed, but turns a lot better because it turns in place. Similar acceleration. I've actually just about hunted a 59 down in one moving cross country. The armor's similar too but the gun difference is more of a yawning chasm.

If a Jagdtiger can't pen an IS-3, the driver fucking sucks, it's that simple. The 59 driver either spent a buck on that round of pubbing or you never pointed your nose right at him. You're an in tier fast heavy, being near invulnerable from one angle isn't bad.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I have a T34-85, a KV-13 as Russian Mediums, and the US Medium tree up to Easy8/T20. I haven't bought a T20 yet, but I have also a Slugger and T-29.

I love the 90mm cannon so much, yet it comes on weaker platforms, later than that damn idiot cannon. Yes, the Idiot gun has bad soft-stats like aim, but it's got such great pen! I really miss the stupid thing on my KV-13, as the 85mm isn't strong enough vs some tougher heavies and T-59s.

True, the Pershing seems like a better tank, and that long 90mm the Persh gets is a superior gun. However, the Pershing can be penetrated by the 76mm gun frontally, and the speed difference is in the T-59's favor, even if actual effective maneuverability is for the M26.

However the T-59's issue remains that although it has many weaknesses (the entire right side being a giant pile of ammo), it's superior matchmaking means that what it's against often can't take advantage of those weaknesses. The bloody thing can win a head to head fight against my T29 every time, unless i can hull down. Even then, it'll just disengage, or wait for it's 3 T-59 buddies to come up.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

I've never found the T-59 to be as bad as everybody always claims. Sure it's annoying to see games full of nothing but T-59's and Lowes, and they do get soft matchmaking, but even in lower level vehicles I don't find them any worse than other tanks that are a few tiers higher than I am.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Oh dear god I love the AMX 13. I killed an IS-7 (who was already at low health) and then an AMX 50 120 down from full health. Got a good hit or two on his buddy before going down.

Pity we lost that game, but this thing can do wild amounts of damage before it goes down - even if it goes down very quickly.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Nephtys wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:So after about 15 awful rounds with my A-20, I ended up with a round on that map with the huge gorge in the middle. I'm on one side, and I spot a Sherman on the other side of the map, which is about 300 yards distant. I open fire with my 45 mm, and the very first shot ignites the Sherman's fuel tank, bringing it down to around 60%, when I lose sight of it. Later in the match I run into the same tank, and just circle around it pouring shots in and dodging the Sherman's fire, and manage to kill it. Then I get one-shot by a Hetzer. I hate this damn thing.
It's alright. Eventually, the A-20 will stop hurting once you get that shiny new T-34. I hated the living shit out of the A-20, and will easilly call it the worst tank in the whole damn game.
Eh, not really. I'd honestly rather go through the KV-13 to pick up the high-tier Russian mediums. The T-34's gun is pretty underpowered.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Nephtys wrote:I have a T34-85, a KV-13 as Russian Mediums, and the US Medium tree up to Easy8/T20. I haven't bought a T20 yet, but I have also a Slugger and T-29.
The KV-13 is the only one of those I haven't driven, but the T20 is a great tank if you use it to its advantages, since it has a tiny silhouette and great speed, so you can easily snipe from cover and only expose a tiny bit of your tank.
I love the 90mm cannon so much, yet it comes on weaker platforms, later than that damn idiot cannon. Yes, the Idiot gun has bad soft-stats like aim, but it's got such great pen! I really miss the stupid thing on my KV-13, as the 85mm isn't strong enough vs some tougher heavies and T-59s.
Weaker platforms? The T29 is drastically superior to the IS, with equal maneuverability, pivot turning and better armor, the T20 sacrifices a near meaningless amount of armor to the T-43 in return for the 90mm, a much smaller silhouette, better gun depression, and better speed. The Pershing gets an enhanced 90mm, but the T-44 now gets an enhanced 100mm, both of them are good guns. It's just that the Pershing is a better tank. The only reason the T-34-85 is decent is the 100mm, the tank is slow, sluggish and poorly armored. The pen is good, but slow aim time is a killer on mediums, especially those with poor gun depression, because it makes them expose themselves for so much longer to take potshots.
True, the Pershing seems like a better tank, and that long 90mm the Persh gets is a superior gun. However, the Pershing can be penetrated by the 76mm gun frontally, and the speed difference is in the T-59's favor, even if actual effective maneuverability is for the M26.
Can be. Won't if the Pershing driver is good. It's really the US 90mm and Russian 100mm that fall in the penetration range the 59 bounces and the Pershing doesn't. The US 76, best Russian 85s and German short 88 are marginal against the Pershing but not the Type. However, with its effective 300mm turret face and great depression, the Pershing is absolutely devastating from behind a hill, and can use terrain as cover very effectively. In my experience, terrain is far more effective at dealing with the huge threats like Jagdtiger rounds, Object 704 rounds, and other 500+ damage shells that will promptly and immediately take a chunk out of your combat effectiveness. The Type also needs a hill to hit much higher speeds than the Pershing can.
However the T-59's issue remains that although it has many weaknesses (the entire right side being a giant pile of ammo), it's superior matchmaking means that what it's against often can't take advantage of those weaknesses. The bloody thing can win a head to head fight against my T29 every time, unless i can hull down. Even then, it'll just disengage, or wait for it's 3 T-59 buddies to come up.
Stay with other tanks and angle your hull armor and you should be able to deal with them.
Zinegata wrote:
Nephtys wrote: It's alright. Eventually, the A-20 will stop hurting once you get that shiny new T-34. I hated the living shit out of the A-20, and will easilly call it the worst tank in the whole damn game.
Eh, not really. I'd honestly rather go through the KV-13 to pick up the high-tier Russian mediums. The T-34's gun is pretty underpowered.
The T-34's got a really good gun. That 57mm cranks out damage stupidly fast. Sure it doesn't hit hard the first time but it fires so quickly. The T-34 is a really good tank and fast enough to get on flanks and that sort of thing.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The problem I am having with the type 59 is it is the best scout tank, not for speed, but for it's ability to ignore most equal heavies if they are nearly equal in numbers. The IS series especially since if they decide to just run past you to find easier targets you have only time for one or two shots, and your first shot would be against their front and just worthless, while your accuracy sucks enough that as they are disappearing past you have only a small chance to hit. Then they blow away arty, any tanks in base and any TD's nearby.

The Tiger 2 can kill 59's far easier than any of the other T8 heavies, while the T32 can challenge them they have the speed and maneuver (and organization) to just rape any US heavy in the game if a T30 or T34 are shooting badly. And the Type rarely sees any of that, so I'll be happy to see them get proper match maker.

Hell my clan has brought 59s to War before and they ain't shit up there either. Saw one soloing a T54 for a little bit, though it took a Maus to finish the 54.

Face it the type 59 does not need Match maker to be as generous as it is.

And most Pershing drivers suck badly. Shit I've circle strafed one to death in my KV. (probably can't do that now in 7.0 thanks to HE nerf.)
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Agent Sorchus wrote:The problem I am having with the type 59 is it is the best scout tank, not for speed, but for it's ability to ignore most equal heavies if they are nearly equal in numbers. The IS series especially since if they decide to just run past you to find easier targets you have only time for one or two shots, and your first shot would be against their front and just worthless, while your accuracy sucks enough that as they are disappearing past you have only a small chance to hit. Then they blow away arty, any tanks in base and any TD's nearby.
The IS can wait for side shots, while if you can't punch through a Type 59 from any angle with a BL-9 I'd have to recommend remedial gunnery lessons. The Type 59's hull is marginal against 200 mm pen guns. That means the IS-3 and King Tiger can penetrate the Type 59 with ease. They do that in practice, I can barely ever bounce their shots. With decent aim, the IS-3 can get those two shots off and take over half the health off that Type 59. That's hardly escaping unscathed. Try it twice and you're dead. It's got a decent chance of meaning that a Ferdi can one shot you. Trust me, the preferred prey of a Type 59 is mediums and smaller tanks, trying to ignore equal tier heavies is freaking stupid and liable to get you shot to bits. We've run Tier 8 companies of heavies primarily against a Type 59, and even a perfectly organized swarm gets utterly shot to bits without major loss.
The Tiger 2 can kill 59's far easier than any of the other T8 heavies, while the T32 can challenge them they have the speed and maneuver (and organization) to just rape any US heavy in the game if a T30 or T34 are shooting badly. And the Type rarely sees any of that, so I'll be happy to see them get proper match maker.
They bounce on the front of a T32 dead on. If a T32 doesn't make mincemeat of them, the T32 is being driven poorly. Going merrily off unsupported is driving badly unless you have a compelling reason. You're also dead wrong about how they do against the T30 and T34. Both turn significantly better than the Type 59 and have huge guns that can utterly wreck them.
Hell my clan has brought 59s to War before and they ain't shit up there either. Saw one soloing a T54 for a little bit, though it took a Maus to finish the 54.
Considering T-54s are barely ever used in Clan Wars between proper clans, yeah the Type 59 is shit for that.
Face it the type 59 does not need Match maker to be as generous as it is.
That might be why I haven't argued that. It's a tier 8 that's reasonably competent there, it should get tier 8 matchmaking.
And most Pershing drivers suck badly. Shit I've circle strafed one to death in my KV. (probably can't do that now in 7.0 thanks to HE nerf.)
Most Type 59 drivers suck badly too, you'd think the things had well armored sides given how often they get shown off.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well, I've achieved my objective of the year: Get a JagdPanther. And it's actually refreshing after the JagdPanzer to have a TD that can actually hurt things. With the gun rammer, I'm putting about near-on 14 88mm rounds a minute. Should get the 105 shortly, and even that'll be throwing 10k money downrange a minute.
In matches where I actually get to use it as a TD, it's pretty fun. Matches where people expect it to be a tank, somewhat less so.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

xthetenth wrote: The T-34's got a really good gun. That 57mm cranks out damage stupidly fast. Sure it doesn't hit hard the first time but it fires so quickly. The T-34 is a really good tank and fast enough to get on flanks and that sort of thing.
The 57mm is only average in my book compared to the Sherman 105mm and the Panzer IV 75mm/L70, which is why it doesn't perform as well as either of those two tanks. It just doesn't have the power to deal with bigger threats.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Zinegata wrote:
xthetenth wrote: The T-34's got a really good gun. That 57mm cranks out damage stupidly fast. Sure it doesn't hit hard the first time but it fires so quickly. The T-34 is a really good tank and fast enough to get on flanks and that sort of thing.
The 57mm is only average in my book compared to the Sherman 105mm and the Panzer IV 75mm/L70, which is why it doesn't perform as well as either of those two tanks. It just doesn't have the power to deal with bigger threats.
No way, the 57mm Zis-4 is a great gun. It compares favorably with the 6pdr, which is it's closest equivilent, and it's very similar to the M1A1 76mm.

The 105Derp and 75mm/l70 are different kinds of gun entirely. The Derp is a low velocity HE lobber that's trash on flankers and has extremely low RoF. The 57mm Zis-4 tears apart medium tanks on the move or at range, and has an incredible rate of fire. The T-34's far faster and maneuverable to both the Sherman and Pz4, and is superior to the Pz3/4 and M7 in my book.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I gotta say, that was a pretty good round. None of the idiots could flank the T29 on the southern slopes. I stayed hull down, and with no arty to dig me out, I collapsed that whole enemy flank.

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Monday, December 26, 2011 2:34:29 PM
Vehicle: T29
Experience received: 2,457
Credits received: 66,079
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Boelter's Medal, Reaper, Master Gunner

The T29 is truly an awesome tank. It's not even fully upgraded yet. I only have the treads and bunny-ear turret. No gun or engine.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I <3 the Tier 7 American kit so much.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Fellow American medium drivers, I need you advice. I'm grinding the M4 at the moment, and will in about 10,000 xp need to decide if I want the easy 8 or the jumbo sherman next. I'm leaning toward the jumbo at the moment, but I have some concerns that the weakish gun, low speed and weird turret will just mean I get run around and shot up by other mediums, cos thats how I deal with them now, but the easy 8 just seems so soft and breakable in comparison. Thoughts?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Armed with the 105mm howitzer, the Jumbo performs quite well- the gun is not 'weak' by the standards of Tier 6 vehicles, or at any rate not unusually weak. And I think you can keep the strong turret on the Jumbo while using the 105, which is a plus.

The 76mm gun family used by the E8, the Jumbo, the M4, and so on is a good gun but not a great gun. It's got solid damage per second, but it can underperform against the bigger, meaner heavies you start seeing at Tier 6- just as the Sherman's 75mm baseline gun is good for most things of its own tier but runs into trouble when anything meaner than a KV comes at you.

I would argue in favor of the Jumbo-105 combination, if you feel like being a tough bruiser of a tank. I went for the E8 myself, but then I was kind of honor-bound to do so by my screenname in the game.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I've done better with the Jumbo, personally - ie win rate is higher; I'm still stuck around 40% in the Easy 8, as much as I really want to love it.

Good thing about the 105 on the Jumbo is that it lets you keep the first turret with better all-round armor, though at the cost of some view range and traverse speed. The 105 though can be disappointing by Tier 6 - it's not a weapon that is capable of really destroying enemies, between the relatively limited damage and rate of fire comparable to better high tier guns, but it can be useful in slowly whittling down heavier foes in support of someone else; good example was on El Halluf, I took the hill at A1 and starting going up the hill into the enemy base behind an E-75, and laid out repeated hits on a IS-4, King Tiger and a couple of others. However we were totally unsupported and ended up getting flanked from behind, combined with a charge from the front. Lost that game but I think it's a decent example of how the 105 can be moderately effective. Just can't expect as much from it as you can at Tier 5 (or 3, for that matter, if you're driving the T82).
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I've a jumbo, and I've given up on the 105 since the slight nerf to HE, which is not great enough to really spoil it but still.

I'm rocking the M1A2 and it is still a good gun even if you are slow. For instance because your top speed is slow it is accurate even on the move (oh and you can mount a stabilizer for more craziness) so you can pull of support better. IE keep flankers off of the bigger tanks, drop accurate HE onto an enemy and allot of other things. And even though you are slower your have basically the same maneuverability as the E8 and really good acceleration for such an armored tank.

I have found the armor is sufficient, though the front is easily enough penned from higher enemies you are rarely the prime target. And you still bounce enough to make the armor work.

The top turret doesn't have the all around armor, but since your giant side body is unarmored I find that loosing that doesn't matter any. Rather with the M1A2 you are accurate and have enough view to not wander into TD's that often.

The E8 is good and all (had it during the beta) but the thing gets wrecked so easily and with T5 lights and type 59s you can't say you are fast enough to get places before them or out gun them if you tie the race. Rather it seems to play like a Panther, out ranging the opposition or charging in at the most opportune time to flank, and I think the Jumbo can do the sniping just as well and it brawls better if you find yourself alone.

The T34-85 is better either way as an all comers tank.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Plus, most things the 105 can't beat up reliably, the 76mm guns can't beat either. The big advantage of the 76mm is the accuracy, high rate of fire and cheap ammo, in my opinion.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

As someone who sees these vehicles from the other side, I tend to be somewhat more nervous of the Jumbo, whether for it's tendency to rattle some of my bone china subsystems out of their housing or it's tendency to not take damage when shot. Like the KV-3, it's a bit of a full stop when you attempt to attack it with a lower tier tank. Higher tier... hm. I'm still a little more nervous of the Jumbo, really. It's not your father's Sherman, that's for sure. (Unless your father happened to drive a Jumbo, in which case, fair enough.)
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.