World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by xthetenth »

Simon_Jester wrote:Ah, how, exactly? In what way does the T-50-2 gets predictable on hills?

Also, I am somewhat pleased to notice that in my Matilda I've got roughly a 60% win ratio with fifty games played. I have found Tankvana.
The T-50-2 gets predictable on hills because it loses serious speed if it goes uphill, especially if it turns to do so. I've heard it said repeatedly that you do not turn uphill. Basically it is going to weave a little bit as it tries to get downhill as fast as it can. That means that if it's trying to get off a hill contested by mediums it's going to want to waggle as it goes downhill. This means you can likely guess the driver's next turn and makes it much easier for the contesting mediums to wing it twice and get the kill. Since you can only run uphill or downhill, you don't want to directly show your rear, and you can't go up, that leaves a very small range of directions to drive to get off the hill. I've seen a bunch of -50-2s getting killed trying to get off a hill contested by mediums. Hills seem much more dangerous to scouts than other places for this reason.

I'd tend to recommend the French heavies, the lights take a good few tiers to get good, while the tier V heavy is solid and the whole line after it. The 12t is painful to drive in combat because its gun elevation is so phenomenally bad, and its depression isn't much better. In fact it might be in the running for the worst in the game. It's relatively quick, but dies easily and is hard to get xp in because it gets kinda suck matchmaking. It takes the 13t 75 to be really fun. If you don't like kinda slow tanks though, the heavies 5-7 are not particularly fast.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Got my T-20 now. Should be fun, though it's a bit sluggish without the combination of top-flight engine and highly skilled driver I'm used to on the Easy Eight.

Also, I can sort of see how you come to need to grind for credits with premium tanks- all I've got to work with is my Matilda, but that will do for now.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Simon_Jester wrote:Got my T-20 now. Should be fun, though it's a bit sluggish without the combination of top-flight engine and highly skilled driver I'm used to on the Easy Eight.

Also, I can sort of see how you come to need to grind for credits with premium tanks- all I've got to work with is my Matilda, but that will do for now.
I got my T20 shortly back too. Loved the hell out of the E8, felt like a fighter plane circling poor KV-3s or Tigers and hammering them to death. The T20's a different beast though. It's basically a slightly faster stock M4 with more HP, and a far superior gun. So I'm playing it as a shoot and scoot sniper instead of trying to be cute with maneuvers like an E8 can do. Also unlike the E8, you'll fight more enemies that pose serious 1v1 threats, while the E8's a pretty great bully for anything T6 and lower.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I was able to drop the M1A2 76mm and the advanced radio from my E8 and stick them into the new tank right away. For upgrades, I'm thinking I should go

Suspension -> Turret -> 90mm gun -> Engine

For the upgrade sequence. Because yes, the late-game American mediums do seem to be at their best in long range battles where cover can substitute for armor.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

server is down for 7.1, forecast for tomorrow is low tier ricochet showers and high tier rapid thundercracks.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Server is up and I'm playing the low tier French tanks now. Wonder how long it will take to get to my lovely lovely AMX 13 75 and ARL 44...
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I love how the T-59 owners are crying crocodile tears on the forums. It's so awesome.

'Whaa. It's FRAUD that my T8 Premium now gets T8 Matchmaking!'
'I can't kill a Maus! That sucks!'
'...everything can pen me!'
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Nephtys wrote:I love how the T-59 owners are crying crocodile tears on the forums. It's so awesome.

'Whaa. It's FRAUD that my T8 Premium now gets T8 Matchmaking!'
'I can't kill a Maus! That sucks!'
'...everything can pen me!'
That's hilarious! :lol: As a Type 59 owner, as soon as I see Maus, I haven't yet, I'd run and consider myself lucky if it takes more than 1 shot to kill me. I'd be happy if I could use HE to damage its tracks. Of course I've never been upset at being at the bottom of the rung premium or not.
Image[
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. That's how most Tier X mediums feel about encounters with Tier (X+2) heavies. They're something to be avoided- it is far from guaranteed that your gun will even penetrate their side armor, and their firepower makes yours look like a toy.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

The only real exception to not being able to pen will be the French mediums and their comically high penetration weapons.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Alright. Time to remove some of the blocks of grey from my collection and replace them with ugly teal things.

I'm so happy. An entire new tech tree to fail at. Still, I'm looking at the heavies. Even if they're going to play a *little* differently to the Germans.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure that Tier X mediums will be able to pen X+2 French heavies. Whether they can survive being turned into flying shrapnel on the way in though, is a matter of timing.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

S.L.Acker wrote:The only real exception to not being able to pen will be the French mediums and their comically high penetration weapons.
Yes, but you take my meaning.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

A LolTraktor can Pen a Tier X French Heavy from the sides. That's just hilarious.

If I ever fight a Frenchie, I'll just load HE. That stuff'll go right through the sides.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Vive la France!

I have an AMX 50 100 and it is still the win. Well worth platooning with a clanmate's batmobile, despite it actually getting the matchmaking 59 drivers have been complaining about.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I've had three good Matilda-rampages today already; this is fun!

Although really, I know it's mostly because there are so many people driving Tier 3 and 4 vehicles that my Matilda is getting placed towards the top of matches a lot more often than it normally would...
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I stored up enough free to get to Tier 6, so I picked up a BDR at T5 to share upgrades. Apparently, *one* upgrade is compatible. Oh well. At least I'm liking the Leman Russ despite it's lack of speed and armour.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I am liking what I see with the French tanks, especially the AMX-13 75mm and up.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I stored no free xp and have to work my way up the French tree the old fashioned way, and so far everything but the H35 is awful. Of course, I've only used the Hotchkiss, FT17, D1, and AMX 38. I hope it gets better.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The stock Char B1 is the slowest thing known to man. It's got like a 5 HP/Ton Ratio. The first engine doubles it's horsepower.

Not sure what the purpose of this... thing is. The 75mm hull gun doesn't work, so it's like an M3 Lee that doesn't get it's big cannon. Instead, it gets a tier 2 peashooter. Behold, all the power of a loltraktor, in a heavy tank hull.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

One advantage the B1's held since it came as a German premium is that Tier 4 heavies are matchmade ridiculously generously; IIRC they will only fight tiers 2-4.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Not exactly, seeing as I faced a B1 earlier today with my KV.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

slower than average cpu plus the wot server being fickle has stopped me from going higher than the FT17. with the limited maps available to tier 1-2 means i get the big city map 75% of the time which takes so long to load that the server will drop me and make me start the load all over.

i'm hoping getting some more ram will help, because 1 gig plus the 1 gig graphics card just isn't cutting it.

as for the B1. when in front of it, shoot it in the hull gun.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Has anyone had a play with the multi turreted tanks that were already in the game? Are all the turrets on them working now too?
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Alkaloid wrote:Has anyone had a play with the multi turreted tanks that were already in the game? Are all the turrets on them working now too?
No. Everyone is still stuck with only one gun. Too bad. I bet the Maus' 75mm coax would come in quite handy.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Not exactly, seeing as I faced a B1 earlier today with my KV.
Indeed; the German B2 stays where it was but the B1 has to face enemies a tier higher. That can get really painful with that little 47mm - I stared down four of them pretty much alone in the Matilda and they were just helpless to hurt me.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"