The Anime Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

3rd Impact wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote:Someone recommend to me then the most PERVERTED hentai then!
'Return of the Overfiend'. Watch it, and you will die of disgust.
La Blue Girl. Fucked. Up.
By His Word...
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Trigun
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats (Hell even anime haters would like that one, though the Manga is much better)
Dominion Tank Police (There's nothing like the Viscarial Pleasure of watching the Puma Sisters in action)
Bastard!!
Ninja Scroll (Like the original Heavy Metal it must be viewed at least once a year, if not more often)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote: La Blue Girl. Fucked. Up.
Bible Black. Starts out normal enough, but then about half way through the second episode, it's just like Image. That's as far as I've seen , but I can imagine what it's like further down.
「かかっ―」
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote:Someone recommend to me then the most PERVERTED hentai then!
'Return of the Overfiend'. Watch it, and you will die of disgust.
La Blue Girl. Fucked. Up.
Kizuna hardcore gay anime
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Old Gainax recommendations:
- Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water
- Otaku no Video

Old Miyazaki recommendations
- Future Boy Conan
- Porco Rosso (The Crimson Pig)

Other anime recommendations:
Read or Die
Gatekeepers
Vandread 1st and 2nd Stages
Onegai Sensei
Turn A Gundam
Oh My Goddess
Boys Be
Patlabor movies
Astroboy (classic!)
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Rob Wilson wrote:The Series. It's called Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex. (by far the best 'characters' are the Tachikoma's, or as I call them Tamagochi's :P , the end of the game of Go had me in stitches).
A friend of mine has it, apparently, but on the night we were supposed to see it we wound up watching Romper Stomper.

Next anime night I'll have to force him to show it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

generator_g1 wrote:Old Gainax recommendations:
- Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water
- Otaku no Video
I remember this one. The funniest bit was when what the American fan was saying didn't match up with the subtitles :D
To Absent Friends

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Datana wrote:XaLEv, I overlooked that post, thanks.

Oh, and as an addendum to the list of recent series, Witch Hunter Robin is also pretty good, once one gets past the episodic first half of the series and into the main plot.
Any sort of themic details? Non-spoiler plot summary?
Datana wrote:Exonerate -- Saikano is probably not for everyone. It spends a great deal of time setting up characters, plots, and situations only to bring everything crashing down piece by piece, kind of like in a classic tragedy. The best way to describe it, I guess, is take the overused "mechanical girl" and shoujo genres and turn events and cliches on their head. It's unrealistic and at the same time surreal, and most people I know who've seen it have either loved it or absolutely hated it for that.
Sounds interesting, I'll have to look it up.
Datana wrote:Rob -- I think that the series you're talking about is Onegai Teacher. (EDIT: Reading your description again, probably not; sorry.)
It's ok, I remembered the title, Happy Lesson. Basically, plot-light fanboy pleaser with nice character designs and not much else. Funny, twisted in segments but not absolutely essential viewing.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

generator_g1 wrote: Read or Die
I must get around to watching that sometime.
generator_g1 wrote: Oh My Goddess
I've seen the Mini-goddess movies, but not the main series. Any good (I.E. funny)?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Damn, how could I forget Oh My Goddess ? *Whap* I've got both volumes, the movie, and the whole friggin' manga series, after all.

I hear FLCL is really good, and His and Her circumstances, as well.
By His Word...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dalton wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:The Series. It's called Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex. (by far the best 'characters' are the Tachikoma's, or as I call them Tamagochi's :P , the end of the game of Go had me in stitches).
A friend of mine has it, apparently, but on the night we were supposed to see it we wound up watching Romper Stomper.

Next anime night I'll have to force him to show it.
Well there are 10 episodes that I've seen, with the last 6 being an arc, so set aside a good 4.5 hours to watch them.

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:Damn, how could I forget Oh My Goddess ? *Whap* I've got both volumes, the movie, and the whole friggin' manga series, after all.

I hear FLCL is really good, and His and Her circumstances, as well.
FLCL is great, but I'd recommend that Shinova gets somemore Anime under his belt before watching it, as the pace can get a little bit on the manic side. :D

Image Image
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Rob Wilson wrote:Well there are 10 episodes that I've seen, with the last 6 being an arc, so set aside a good 4.5 hours to watch them.
Same characters? As in, the Major in a little girl body?
To Absent Friends

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

It's hard to find a good title that hasn't already been suggested after those three pages, but you might also want to check out Boogiepop Phantom (Licensed) and Jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu (Fansub only).
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

How about you fast forward a year or 5 and bring me back the Trigun Sequel Game?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Probably already mentioned, my Big 3 fave animé are Macross Plus, NGE and Cowboy Bebop.

Others I firmly enjoyed were Dominion Tank Police, Tenchi series except Tokyo which was a bag of wank, Full Metal Panic, GitS: SAC, most Gundam series and numerous others I can't be arsed mentioning due to me currently eating lunch,
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Dalton wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:Well there are 10 episodes that I've seen, with the last 6 being an arc, so set aside a good 4.5 hours to watch them.
Technically, this has nothing to do with the film, it is based off Masamune Shirow's Manga and so features Fuchikoma like robots (these ones called Tachikomas but still sentient somewhat and comedy relief).

Character designs aren't as realistic as the film due to budget, but the 3-D effects and music done by the one and only Yoko Kanno are excellent (as always). The opening theme "Inner Universe" is great mix of techno and a Russian opera singer using Latin.

The plots are all great so far and typical 2029 cyber crime, at the moment there is no real arc going bar one instance with the case of the "Laughing Man" which ran a couple of eps. Out of the 10 episodes so far, I'd say they were all top notch, my only qualm was the changing of the opening credits sequence at episode 4 I think which doesn't look as good (it's all 3-D).

Production I.G. Website on GitS: SAC:

http://www.productionig.com/Ghost_TV.html

P.S.

Forgot to say, the great guy who did the voices of a certain suave NGE agent named Kaji and a loveable bounty hunter named Spike is in it to do the voice over of the purely human Togusa.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Sounds great.

Also saw on IMDb that there's another GitS project in the works called Innocence...
To Absent Friends

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Tekkaman's great. Or Teknoman in the West. I love that show. Have the entire series on vcd.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Vympel wrote:Tekkaman's great. Or Teknoman in the West. I love that show. Have the entire series on vcd.
Ah, Tekkaman Bureido. Too bad UPN canceled it before I got to see much of it. Love to get my hands on the whole thing.
「かかっ―」
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

XaLEv wrote:
Ah, Tekkaman Bureido. Too bad UPN canceled it before I got to see much of it. Love to get my hands on the whole thing.
Bureido?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Vympel wrote: Bureido?
Blade in Romaji.
「かかっ―」
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dalton wrote:
Nah, it's the same universe, but as the title suggests it's stand alone from the Film(s).

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Character designs aren't as realistic as the film due to budget, but the 3-D effects and music done by the one and only Yoko Kanno are excellent (as always). The opening theme "Inner Universe" is great mix of techno and a Russian opera singer using Latin.
Actually it's another one of Yoko's made up languages with words either invented or taken at random from real world languages to fit in with the rythm. Still sounds brilliant.

And the Budget on this was the highest per episode in Anime history to date, and it shows in the usual little detail effects you expect from the director.
Admiral Valdemar wrote:The plots are all great so far and typical 2029 cyber crime, at the moment there is no real arc going bar one instance with the case of the "Laughing Man" which ran a couple of eps. Out of the 10 episodes so far, I'd say they were all top notch, my only qualm was the changing of the opening credits sequence at episode 4 I think which doesn't look as good (it's all 3-D).
'Laughing Man' runs from ep4 to ep10, that's 6 eps. And your right about the opening credit change, it sucks after a while. Have you noticed that the title screen has a text script of the opening animation teaser of each episode scrolling in the sidebar?

Image Image
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

Hmm... I liked Yu Yu Hakusho and Those Who Hunt Elves... just to add something original....
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League