Math: probability of rolling one of each using 6-sided dice

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Math: probability of rolling one of each using 6-sided dice

Post by Spoonist »

I'm designing a game (non-professionally) and now I need to calculate probabilities to see how the statistics work out.

But this got me a bit stumped.

How do you calculate how many dice you need to roll before the probability threshold of rolling one of each side is reached?
For example, how many 6-sided dice do one need to roll before the probability is >50% of rolling each of 1 through to 6?
Then >75%?

My gut feeling is around 13 and 20 respectively, but for design purposes it would be nice to be able to actually formulate and calculate this.
M
Redshirt

Re: Math: probability of rolling one of each using 6-sided d

Post by M »

Spoonist wrote:How do you calculate how many dice you need to roll before the probability threshold of rolling one of each side is reached?
For example, how many 6-sided dice do one need to roll before the probability is >50% of rolling each of 1 through to 6?
Then >75%?

My gut feeling is around 13 and 20 respectively, but for design purposes it would be nice to be able to actually formulate and calculate this.
This (Warning:PDF) is your friend, specifically the answer to question 5 on page 10. Short summary: 13 for 50% is about right, for 75% you're fine with a bit less, namely 18.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Your example:

Your first roll has a uniqueness probability of [1]
Your second has a uniqueness probability of [1 - 1/6 = 5/36] (there is a 1/6 probability you will roll die 1's result)
Your third roll has a uniqueness probability of [1 - 1/6 - 5/36 = 25/36] (there is a 1/6 probability you will roll die 1's result, a 5/6 probability that die 2's result is unique, and a 1/6 probability of rolling that unique roll, for a combined probability of those two probabilities multiplied together that you will roll die 2's unique result)
your nth roll has a uniqueness probability of [1 - {SUM FROM 1 TO n-1}[(1/6)*P_n]

This summation is probably something that you can turn into an empirical formula, but that sounds an awful lot like work to me, so I'd just use a computer to do it.

To get the probability that you will have six unique results, I'm not sure how to go about it. The probability out of fewer than 6 is 0, obviously. The probability out of six is the product of the uniqueness probabilities from 1 to 6. The probability out of n is the uniqueness probability of the nth, multiplied by the probability that five out of six are unique already. Where do we go from here?
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

M wrote:This (Warning:PDF) is your friend, specifically the answer to question 5 on page 10. Short summary: 13 for 50% is about right, for 75% you're fine with a bit less, namely 18.
Sweeeeeet.
Thanks a million, bookmarked and saved.