The (totally) Phantom Menace

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Skgoa
Jedi Master

The (totally) Phantom Menace

Post by Skgoa »

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Re: The (totally) Phantom Menace

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Ah, the silliness. quite funny, and makes a few good points, that are the result of the fights being 'obviously choreographed'.

don't forget, jump like an idiot.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Naly
Redshirt

Post by Naly »

I don't know why the Darth Maul stare makes me laugh so much, but it does
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I love how it's become the "trendy" thing in SW fandom to nitpick the movies down to individual frames, or call out little things for being *gasp* unrealistic. The part where he complains about Darth Maul ducking Qui-Gon's swing (which would've missed anyway) seems to ignore the fact that Obi-Wan is simultaneously attacking him from behind, hence the duck. Also, he points out the missed swings as if that's some kind of horrible thing.

Are there holes in the TPM duel? Oh yeah. I would never argue that it's realistic. But movie fights generally aren't, including the fights in the Original Trilogy. This is like somebody picking apart the breaching tactics of the Stormtroopers, or the lousy gunplay from both sides (not aiming down sights, no taking cover, no serious suppression).

Real fights look like crap. The UFC is real, and those fights are slow and boring compared to the movies...yet they include missed swings and mistakes on the part of the fighters as well.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims