Cutting operations

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

oberon
Padawan Learner

Cutting operations

Post by oberon »

A cutting op is when a ship runs interdiction on another ship by putting a boat in the water and boarding it. So I ask, what would be a more effective boarding party, a squad of ST troops, or a few Coasties/Navy boys?

Also, what if the 2 teams were racing to board a ship and had a
confrontation? Who gets dunked? What if the navy team was a marine detachment?

This would all be at sea, because it provides some more challenge then the usual ground fight. You've got to make the other ship heave to, then put a boat in the water, then haul ass to the ship without capsizing, tie off the boat, get aboard against some hostiles who would most likely be armed with fireaxes and wrenches, or whatever else is lying around (guns not too likely but very possible--this leads to another variation: is it a merchant ship, or a drug smuggler? You get the idea) and secure the ship. Which is the better navy?
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

My 500th post!!! From now on, I am to be referred to as Lord Yoshi. :D Anyway, one question. Will the ST team be using modern equipment, or Fed equipment (e.g. phasers)?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

You're joking, right? The ST force would be lucky to figure out how to direct the boat, considering the lack of touchscreens.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Oh, the feddies use their regular shit. I wonder if they have any heavier equipment, such as body armor, and if so, they can use that too.

Hmmm, good point abt their piloting ability. OK, put them in the care of a navy Ensign and let them have a real coxswain (driver). The rest would have to be up to them. Which means they'd have to follow orders without philosophizing, and somehow get in and out of the boat without getting crushed.

I'm trying not to say too much or show bias, but your questions made it too difficult :)
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

What's the sea state? In any kind of weather the ST 'troops' are going to get themselves killed just climbing from the boat and onto the ship.

As for the effectiveness of the troops post-boarding, ST 'troops' have so little experince in close quarters fighting that one man with a fireaxe could clean their clocks in fairly short order. This is particularly true if the boarding party consists entirely of redshirts, which as we all know can be killed by anything and everything.

The coasties will do much, much better than Starfleet on account of their superior training, tactics, intelligence, and weapons.

The results of any contest between Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and Starfleet 'infantry' are so much of a foregone conclusion that I'm not even going to address the point. :)
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

The weather could be anything that allows 40-ft. boats. Count on no less than 2-foot waves.