Chinese Philosophy

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Chinese Philosophy

Post by UltraViolence83 »

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/CHPHIL/YINYANG.HTM

Well, that only helps prove (for myself, anyway) what I already knew: the Yin-Yang is the single most perfect philosophy of universal balance that man ever made. :)

Perhaps I will finally get that Yin-Yang symbol tattoo... :roll:
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Anyone else find ancient China fascinating?
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
The_Nice_Guy
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Nice_Guy »

Because I grew up with it, I know it can all be boiled down to one thing: Balance.

Even in Western thought, this concept exists as the "Golden Mean". It's not exclusive to the chinese.

And Confucianism can be attributed as one of the main reasons why chinese culture was as stagnant as it was before the 20h century. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

The Nice Guy
The Laughing Man
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: Chinese Philosophy

Post by salm »

UltraViolence83 wrote:http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/CHPHIL/YINYANG.HTM

Well, that only helps prove (for myself, anyway) what I already knew: the Yin-Yang is the single most perfect philosophy of universal balance that man ever made. :)

NOOOOOOO! don´t get one of these stupid yin-yang tatoos. too many people already have one.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

salm wrote:

NOOOOOOO! don´t get one of these stupid yin-yang tatoos. too many people already have one.
Cliche....

If I was to get a tattoo I'd get the chinese character for "courage" done, probably on my arm. I had it done in henna for a while and it looked pretty good. Plus the definition of courage in the chinese language is fucking wicked.
Ravencrow
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravencrow »

I find Taoism is more flexible than Confusianism though. Taoism talks about getting used to change, to "flow like water", and just be; while Confusianism appears like a set of fixed rules on how one should behave.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Ravencrow wrote:I find Taoism is more flexible than Confusianism though. Taoism talks about getting used to change, to "flow like water", and just be; while Confusianism appears like a set of fixed rules on how one should behave.
Confucianism has some pretty strict rules of how to function in society. I believe it also talks about a series of duties that people have to each other that govern interaction. I thinks it's like, father/son, husband/wife, friend/friend, and some other ones.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

weemadando wrote:
salm wrote:

Cliche....

If I was to get a tattoo I'd get the chinese character for "courage" done, probably on my arm. I had it done in henna for a while and it looked pretty good. Plus the definition of courage in the chinese language is fucking wicked.
chinese letters are also old. everything that is or has been a trend i find a bit increative to get as tatoo. same with these tribal rings around people´s upper arms. they look nice, but they´re a trend.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

You guys wouldn't believe how ridiculous Chinese character tattoos look to people who can read them... You might as well put "Courage" in English on your shoulder :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yes, which is why I got a good friend to do it. A friend who happens to be Chinese.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

I am Chinese, and have had a lot of expirience with Chinese culture.

That being said, while some aspects of Chinese culture is good, the emphasis on obidience to seniority over all else, mysogony to a level that the most conservative western nation has yet to come close to matching, and a conformist attitute almost custom made to crush all innovation puts Chinese Culture up there with Fundie Christian and The Sambians in competetion for the Dumbest Culture Ever award.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Exonerate wrote:You guys wouldn't believe how ridiculous Chinese character tattoos look to people who can read them... You might as well put "Courage" in English on your shoulder :P
Y'know, I've never actually seen anyone with a Chinese character tattoo. Or if I have, I've successfully blocked out the memory. But it does sound rather silly.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Aside from the entropy involved, I don't know what's so bad about a static society. Sometimes I wonder why we even bothered to come down from the trees...
Marcus
Padawan Learner

Post by Marcus »

The trouble with a Static Society (beyond the Entropy, Stasis=Death issue) is what happens when Static cultures run into Dynamic cultures.
The_Nice_Guy
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Nice_Guy »

The West slapped China silly. That about says it all.

The Nice Guy
The Laughing Man
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Exonerate wrote:You guys wouldn't believe how ridiculous Chinese character tattoos look to people who can read them... You might as well put "Courage" in English on your shoulder :P
Y'know, I've never actually seen anyone with a Chinese character tattoo. Or if I have, I've successfully blocked out the memory. But it does sound rather silly.
Its very popular here in CA. Yesterday, I saw a girl at Costco with the character for Horse tatooed on the small of her back. She was a gwailo ( white ) and I had to really wonder if she knew what character she had. I pointed it out to my buddy, who is Chinese but cant read, and we had a good laugh.

When I worked at Circuit City a couple of the mexican girls got chinese tattoes that supposedly said "Fear No Man". Im not sure why that is supposed to be cool, the only character I could read was Man but who knows what the other part said.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

UltraViolence83 wrote:Anyone else find ancient China fascinating?
I found a book in one of the libraries at San Jose State University that chronicled ancient Chinese cultural. I found it fascinating at the time and decided to check it out. That was 8 years ago so Ive forgotten most of it.

One thing that still stand out, was how Chinese hero's almost never get the girl like a Hero in the West does.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

TrailerParkJawa wrote: Its very popular here in CA. Yesterday, I saw a girl at Costco with the character for Horse tatooed on the small of her back. She was a gwailo ( white ) and I had to really wonder if she knew what character she had. I pointed it out to my buddy, who is Chinese but cant read, and we had a good laugh.
You should have asked her.
「かかっ―」
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

UltraViolence83 wrote:Aside from the entropy involved, I don't know what's so bad about a static society. Sometimes I wonder why we even bothered to come down from the trees...
1 word: Starcraft :D
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

TrailerParkJawa wrote: Its very popular here in CA. Yesterday, I saw a girl at Costco with the character for Horse tatooed on the small of her back. She was a gwailo ( white ) and I had to really wonder if she knew what character she had. I pointed it out to my buddy, who is Chinese but cant read, and we had a good laugh.
Could have been her sign.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
UltraViolence83 wrote:Anyone else find ancient China fascinating?
I found a book in one of the libraries at San Jose State University that chronicled ancient Chinese cultural. I found it fascinating at the time and decided to check it out. That was 8 years ago so Ive forgotten most of it.

One thing that still stand out, was how Chinese hero's almost never get the girl like a Hero in the West does.
Probably something like duty and obedience before the self and all that. So the hero doesn't get the girl at the end.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

neoolong wrote:
Could have been her sign.
Thats true, I didnt think about that. Lets see 1978 would make her...counts fingers....25 this year. Yeah she might have been that old.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Well if everyone is gonna make a fuss about Chinese tattoos, then I'll get mine in rune script ( http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/ ). So there!
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Zoink wrote:Well if everyone is gonna make a fuss about Chinese tattoos, then I'll get mine in rune script ( http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/ ). So there!
That's why my illegible ancient script tattoos are Maya. Who in the hell can sight read Mayan? :wink:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.