SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by OmegaChief »

Train? Nah, it's how they keep thier super soldiers occupied when they're not at war with someone.

And test out new tactics and technology! They've only been around for three hundred eyars after all, so don't have the experiance everyone else does at waging war, so they do this to compensate!

Also, film the most realistic war movies ever.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...War movies? I could see some ancient history buff making them film a new Saving Private Ryan, just for the heck of it. Or reenact other battles, like Pearl Harbor or Stalingrad. Now that I think about it, that would be a hilarious thing to see, wouldn't it?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

That is totally a thing they'd do too, new fiction ideas!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Man, if that is how the Capellans train, people should be worried about getting on their bad sides. Good thing I don't have to worry about that...right?
It depends. Keeping this up on a large scale would but a really heavy burden on their economy, by way of the military-industrial complex; blowing up hardware and having to replace troops randomly killed fighting other members of their own army costs.

If the Arcadians fight the Capellans, they will likely find that the Capellans are better prepared for war in terms of mindset and veterancy. But the Capellans will likely find that the Arcadians were able to equip their forces with gear and long-duration training that would be impossible, unsustainable extravagance for the Capellan military, because the Capellan economy can't support providing such equipment and constantly having it get blown to bits in massive live fire exercises.

In other words, points are points are points. See how easy that was? :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Exactly Simon!

It all balances out, and I'm note xactly making claims about how awesome the Authorities miltiary is here, considering I spent an entire two part story having it blow itself up and having myr egulart roops kill my super soldiers :P
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

OmegaChief wrote:myr egulart roops
And now, because of this, I am now declaring most Bastians deathly allergic to yogurt.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Like the Furlings being deathly allergic to cat hair? :P

EDIT: Okay then, I might have another story post done soon, because this is the only thing my muse is cooperating on.
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-06-08 06:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Gosh darn double post!! :evil:

Can a passing mod delete this?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

My muse is not being cooperative with me at all. I can't even finish typing up part two of the Talon War in User Fiction. I have it done and written on paper, too.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ah, very good.

Now, ECR, just to check, did I lose track of any sectors while mapping?

I have some ideas from my own side of the line, still working up.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Tell me Umerian scientists aren't working on yogurt bullets.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Okay: Umerian scientists aren't working on yogurt bullets. Whether it's true... :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

We shall start collecting our shed fur to drop on the furlings. Yay, bioweapons.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hey, what did the blue people do to you?! :P

Seriously though, bio-weaponing your trade partners doesn't seem like a very sound financial strategy.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Now, now. Shed fur is chemical weaponing; it doesn't reproduce on its own unless Bastian dust-bunnies have evolved into tribbles.

And yogurt bullets? What are those?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Dried yogurt in hollow-point rounds, I guess.

@Skywalker
Yes, consider it another white elephant. In fact, I think I should start writing a story post about that.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sometimes, the best "stories" are a few paragraphs of "what do you mean you did X? That was stupid!" or something of that order.

Don't let my penchant for three thousand word bricks intimidate you; I've been doing this for a while and it makes it easier to produce big stuff. Small stuff keeps the game vibrant, though.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

It's just a short newspaper clip, like I usually do for the Nexus. I'm using Latin names for the emperor and months because the Bastian words are unpronounceable.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Yes- I decided to have three core, four mid- range and six colony sectors, thirteen in total, and there are eleven on the map.

Run with it; turn the two stray colony sectors into a splinter group that can interact with outsiders as a separate entity- the People's Front of Incirrinea or something. They decided to go their own way, and cut themselves off from the nation- internal hyperspace route loop to think about things.

At the moment I'm basically just expanding to contact; this could accelerate things, and be fun.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You might want to send PMs to the people you're contacting, to get their attention. Except for Akhlut, none of them are among our frequent posters, and the disruption of the forum lately makes them even less likely than usual to be paying attention.

Where shall I drop the splinter sectors? Or do you have a preference?
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

PMs, roj.

Nearby but not directly adjacent; one square away, in some determined-by-dart-thrown-at-map direction.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Gah, real life sapping my time, energy and muse, my first story post is likly going to be delayed until next week, sorry guys.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

With any luck, I can hopefully connect that post with the next one I have planned. Yay.

Also say hi to the New Guys. I suspect they won't be around for long.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...suddenly I am wanting to have the VIKINGS attack someones shipping...ah well. Also, I know I said I almost had another post ready...but I got sidetracked writing a new Stargate fic. Should have my next story post up sometime before the weeks out though (hopefully).
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Funnily enough I had an idea for a short amusing pirate raid fic too, maybe I'll write that first to refresh myself.