Joys of police raid

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

Joys of police raid

Post by dragon »

Well I had a nice wake up call this morning. I just fallen back asleep after a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night when all of a sudden I get woken back up to a pounding on the door and a person yelling police we a have a warrant. Thinking ohh shit I yell out I'am coming an move to the door. Standing in the hall outside is a police entry team with vests, shields, battering ram and pointing guns at the door across from me. Jeesh must been a dozen cops. The cop sees me and tells me to go back inside. I go back inside with me heart beating a mile a minute.

All of a sudden I hear the pounding of the batering ram and the yells of cops going the front room clear etc and them yeiing at people to get on the floor and at a kid, who is only 8 or so to come out of the apartment. The yelling goes on a few minutes.

It's not like on TV were they hit the door once or twice with the battering ram. They hit the door 6 times before it finally gave. Turns out the apartments have reinforced fiber security doors depsite looking keep flimsy they are not.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Joys of police raid

Post by General Zod »

At least they were smart enough to realize they got the wrong apartment before they trashed your home and shot your dog.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Uh, from what he said, they didn't get the wrong apartment. They weren't raiding Dragon's apartment, but the one across from his.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Is this sort of thing a regular occurrence in your neighborhood? I ask because this story reminds me a lot of what buddy of mine in Virginia Beach goes through at work. Usually its just chasing off bums and addicts who want free stuff but occasionally there is more "action."
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

First time here at least but Lawton has a high crime rate
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, you're lucky to be alive.

I'm amazed they didn't pepper spray you, pin you down, plant drugs on you, throw a rescue shelter dog into your apartment just to shoot it , laugh about it and then haul you off to Gitmo.

I mean, that's what happens right?

That's why you should have just started shooting through your door, because people always says that you can't trust the po po and CASTLE DOCTRINE! CASTLE DOCTRINE!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

dragon wrote:First time here at least but Lawton has a high crime rate
Lawton, OK? Yeah, you can keep that shithole. :lol:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Reminds me of the time I was woken up by ringing and yells of "Police". Wasn't a full tactical team outside, just two detectives; they needed a civilian witness for the execution of a search warrant (around here police need two civilian non-resident witnesses as a theoretical neutral party to execute a search warrant - usually the person who is being served calls some friends, but in this case they couldn't/wouldn't).

Turns out they had already ringed bells on two floors in the building with no response despite the "Police" yelling; I was the first to actually respond. Always was a sucker for doing my civic duty.

Was a bit shocked at how an invasive a procedure a search warrant execution is, not just by the searches of EVERYTHING but also how invasive the questioning about the items is. Much worse in person then the perception you get in various procedurals, and that is with the police being extremely professional, courteous, and trying to make the situation less tense as possible. Made me determined to never do something stupid and illegal to be a subject of one.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Netko wrote:Reminds me of the time I was woken up by ringing and yells of "Police". Wasn't a full tactical team outside, just two detectives; they needed a civilian witness for the execution of a search warrant (around here police need two civilian non-resident witnesses as a theoretical neutral party to execute a search warrant - usually the person who is being served calls some friends, but in this case they couldn't/wouldn't).

Turns out they had already ringed bells on two floors in the building with no response despite the "Police" yelling; I was the first to actually respond. Always was a sucker for doing my civic duty.

Was a bit shocked at how an invasive a procedure a search warrant execution is, not just by the searches of EVERYTHING but also how invasive the questioning about the items is. Much worse in person then the perception you get in various procedurals, and that is with the police being extremely professional, courteous, and trying to make the situation less tense as possible. Made me determined to never do something stupid and illegal to be a subject of one.
That's the great part about search warrants. You don't have to be named in it at all if the police get the wrong address.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Netko wrote:Reminds me of the time I was woken up by ringing and yells of "Police". Wasn't a full tactical team outside, just two detectives; they needed a civilian witness for the execution of a search warrant (around here police need two civilian non-resident witnesses as a theoretical neutral party to execute a search warrant - usually the person who is being served calls some friends, but in this case they couldn't/wouldn't).

That's an interesting system. Is that in all of Croatia or just your locality?
XXXI
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

General Croatian law. As I said, most of the time, the neutral parties are some friends the person who is getting served calls over (the witnesses must not be closely related to the person being served and must not be residents of the same apartment/house), so the neutrality is a bit questionable, but its a nice additional check and balance I think. Certainly stops the police acting arbitrarily about evidence collection (there were a few ECHR cases where they didn't properly get witnesses that were partially or fully thrown out on that basis).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

dragon wrote:It's not like on TV were they hit the door once or twice with the battering ram. They hit the door 6 times before it finally gave. Turns out the apartments have reinforced fiber security doors depsite looking keep flimsy they are not.
Even a cheap steel/wood door will hold up to loads of punishment. The actual weak spot is the door frame. More specifically, the deadbolt/door knob "shields." Even though they're hard to break, the basic screws that come with them don't go all that deep into the doorframe studs. What happens is the screws or the ends of the 2x4s just give way (by cutting the gap for the deadbolt or knob, you're weakening the hell out of the wood), usually only bending the door a bit. Many apartments, like the one I lived in years ago, install "door jamb shields" before they put up the frame molding and all the other finishing work. This basically makes the 2-3 2x4 studs that comprise the door frame into one-piece and make trying to shear off the jamb plate pointless (as there's another solid piece of steel right under it). You aren't getting through that without waking up half the neighborhood.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

sounds like a chainsaw would be faster than battering ram after all....
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

someone_else wrote:sounds like a chainsaw would be faster than battering ram after all....
Unless the chainsaw hit metal. That'd be a great way to ruin some police officer's shit.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

I wasn't serious :P. Seeing a police officer running around with a fucking heavy-duty chainsaw would not be good PR. None has (yet) used battering rams to kill people in horror movies afaik. Would be hilarious though. :lol:

Besides, for slightly more serious use there are heavy-duty angle grinders. Firefighters last year blew through the metal door (not the safe-like antitheft kind that forces you to tear down the fucking wall around it, but it was one that would have laughed at battering rams) of a house near my home like it was cardboad in a few minutes. Yes there was a fire that had to be put out and the owners were not around. No, I didn't started it. :mrgreen:
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

General Zod wrote:
someone_else wrote:sounds like a chainsaw would be faster than battering ram after all....
Unless the chainsaw hit metal. That'd be a great way to ruin some police officer's shit.
They do use them on occasion though - usually against crappy plastic doors that happen to open outwards and are therefore immune to their usual big red door-knockers.