World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Zinegata »

xthetenth wrote:However, I'd say that until you get to tier five the second time, you're going to be suffering under a resource (both credits and crew) and knowledge deficit that mean you really shouldn't get too worried about being below average till you get there, where you actually know what that tier is like and have a decently trained crew you can stick with for a while.
Yeah, an experienced crew and being able to afford the expensive modules (i.e. gun rammer) makes a big difference. See my Panzer III stats for what happens before you get over the "Tier 5 hump".

Anyone who plays at Tier 5 for an extended period of time should - at the minimum - get a gun rammer. Tier 5s are nice credit earners anyway and the rammer will rapidly pay itself back as long as you keep hitting.

Also, on a personal level, I got over the Tier 5 hump by focusing on using one particular type of gun - the 105mm Derp. I used to run the Sherman with the 105mm, the Panzer IV with the 105mm, the KV-1 with the 122mm and the Hetzer with the 105mm. While the handling characteristics of each tank was different, having the same firing characteristics for all four of my tanks (well, the KV had a slightly longer reload, but it's very similar to the 105mm HE shooters) gave me a pretty good hit rate for what is traditionally an inaccurate gun.

Alternatively, get a Tier 8 heavy for credit grinding. Things got very easy for me money-wise once I got the Type 59, followed by the T34 heavy. The Bank of Lowe is even better in this respect.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Here's me

Win rate, damage per match, "efficiency", etc are all indicators of how good a person is. Ultimately though, all of those can be misleading. I prefer looking at average xp, number of battles in the tank, and win rate, modified by how good the tank in question is.

Incidentally, I'm grinding an AMX40 right now. The damn thing is painful, but surprisingly I've got a positive win rate in it. When it's top of the heap it's semi-decent (gotta watch out for marders!) but anywhere else it's just a case of getting lucky or not. The gun is decent and can actually do some damage to thin-skinned tanks (so any American tanks basically) but it's jsut too slow to move around. You need to just drive forward and commit.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Well I was thinking instead of Arty you have a spotter tank(s) that instead of actually killing stuff just keep enemies in view long enough for the arty to zero in, but I suppose that would be too limited a role and not particularly gamey. Well, actually isn't that what scouts are supposed to do?

Anyway, I gave up on my panther for a while (still the only tank I have that has a <50% win rate :( ) to get a T20 and it's fun - oddly the mobility and the firepower of the 90mm gives me more opportunities to hurt the enemy so even if i die horribly, I still manage to eke a profit, while my poor panther kind of just dies after plinking the enemy and leading to a net loss. I suspect it would be more enjoyable to get the Panther II and enjoy 88mm death dealing, but why would I do that when I already have a Tiger w/L71...

THe grind to M26 still looks painful though! almost 100000k exp to go...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zinegata wrote:Kill rate is not that relevant honestly, particularly since there are many situations like a Tier 8 heavy killing a Tier 5 medium that is kinda meaningless. A better benchmark is to calculate average damage (total damage divided by the number of matches) with the ideal goal being to equal or even exceed the HP of your tank.
At the crudest level, you could probably be safe in assuming you take 100% damage in every losing battle and something like 50% damage in every battle you survive, which on your M103 would probably tip you back to a 1:1 ratio.

Anyway, my theory behind using kill:death ratios is that it should more or less average out, especially for someone who mostly plays Tier 7±1 tanks. On the one hand, I am often that M26 Pershing killing a KV-1 or a Panzer IV, which is not very meaningful. On the other hand, I have so many many times been that M4 Sherman being killed by that T29 or Tiger, which is not very meaningful but still counts as "you died and took eighteen quadrillion points of damage lol."

I would have to go digging to find damage ratios. It's not as heartening in my case, I'll admit, although I wonder how artillery kills should be factored in (easy to one-shot for little damage, very important targets). Also the ability of tracks to act as ablative armor for flanking shots and just absorb hits; I don't know how that's counted but I suppose it affects everything across the board.

Artillery players in general would have very favorable damage ratios if they ever manage to hit anything at all, because they often have so much raw damage output that they can do than their own HP in damage with one shot. They die easily when they die at all, so getting killed in an SPG only counts as "taking" 400 or 500 HP, whereas the same SPG can deal twice that amount of damage in about two shots without even killing anything.

Which also usually means that everyone else has a lower ratio, because the artillery are dishing out a big share of all damage, but aren't taking very much of it.

Tanks like the Easy Eight, on the other hand, have to hit about seven times to do their own HP in combat, which is rather more difficult. Even given the E8's ruinous rate of fire and accuracy, which give it excellent DPS against targets it can penetrate, you have to do a good deal of scoot-and-shoot to get seven shots in before someone with a 100mm+ gun tracks on and obliterates you. It's very much possible, but... hell, this is a Star Wars forum, I can say it. For average players, the Force has to be with you. :D

A lot of other things are in the middle; an IS-2 (IS with 122mm) does about 400 points of damage and has about 1200 HP, so it can break even if it scores three penetrating hits in a single match. And it's tough enough to survive a shot from just about anything, usually without crippling module damage (or such is my feeling), which makes getting those three shots off a lot easier.
I would also look at hit rate as an indicator of overall skill - for bigger tanks (Tier 7 +) there is no excuse to not have a hit rate of 80% unless you're a fast medium in which case 70% is the minimum. Even at lower tiers I'd say people should aim for 60-70%. It makes a big difference in upping the damage value.
Personally, in most of my tanks (except my IS-2 with its thousand-credit 122mm shells), I take quite a lot of 'off-chance' shots: at targets that just vanished from the radar but that I figure are still probably where I last saw them, at light tanks that present crossing targets, and so on. I know damn well they won't hit most of the time, but sometimes I get lucky and score an extreme-range kill. Or, hell, at least give that bastard AMX 13-90 something to worry about while I relocate, for the price of a 76mm round for my Sherman.

So a significant fraction of all shots I fire are shots that I know will probably miss, at lower tiers: even looking at my T20 and Pershing I do that some of the time with the 90mm gun. Which is 250 credits/shell, not that bad if you don't do it several times a match. If you're not immediately threatened the reload is relatively short and the payoff of getting a penetrating hit at a soft target from long range is totally worth it in my opinion.

Again, about the only exception I can think of is my IS-2, where the rounds are so expensive and the gun so inaccurate that I usually don't fire shots I don't seriously expect to hit. I miss a fair amount there too, but it's mostly because I haven't gotten around to installing ventilation or a vertical stabilizer (600k credits per), which for a tank that plays peekaboo with a 122mm gun means unhappy big aiming reticles.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Efficiency is what most people use to determine skill in WoT and I'd say it's fairly accurate. I just broke 1200 a few days ago by forcing myself to play smart and it's starting to become a habit.

I use the xvm with player statistics and win chance and it'd be interesting to see how accurate xvm is at win chances over a large set of games.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Your link is in Russian.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Not the efficiency calculator at the bottom of the page. Looks English to me.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I'm not very fond of efficiency because it overemphasizes capturing the base, which is usually only done when the battle's won. This also seriously penalizes artillery, which doesn't cap. There are also some folks who whore efficiency by playing for cap points and up with an efficiency rating equal with people obviously better.

Damage Dealt/Damage Recieved is nice, but Tank Destroyers are intended to do more damage than they take, since they don't have many HP. If you look at my DD:DR ratios, you'll note the top is pretty much tank destroyers and the very few artillery pieces out there. When you remember that TDs and Artillery usually do more damage than they put HP into the pool in a game, heavy tanks and medium tanks, especially heavies, don't need to necessarily do their full HP in damage to break even for the team. This goes double when survival is factored in. For example, I only do 2400 hp a game in my T110E5, but get a DD:DR of 1.4 because I only take 1700 damage or so on average. Getting that ratio over 1 seems like a perfectly reasonable goal for heavy tanks, since they're the ones with less dpm but a lot of HP, so doing more damage than they take is already pretty good. For TDs I'd say something in the 1.5 range because that's about how much is needed to hit parity with the heavies. Mediums I'm not that sure about, probably 1.2, and Arty I'd guess 3 or so.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, sorry, I meant Damage versus Damake Taken ratio to apply mainly to mediums and heavies. For TDs and Arty (and maybe the Frenchies) you need a higher ratio. The ratios you mentioned are almost the exact same ones Garbad uses, which I generally follow too.
Tanks like the Easy Eight, on the other hand, have to hit about seven times to do their own HP in combat, which is rather more difficult
That's part of the process of learning the game: Knowing how to survive long enough to get off seven good shots that actually do damage. My M103 play is almost always excellent (match-winning) if I get off at least 9 shots that did damage on tanks that mattered.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2012-07-30 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Even though I really don't care about my stats...the best judge of skill I've seen tends to be how many kills they can get before dying...when they aren't the top tank.

If someone can get a lot of kills in a medium when everyone else is heavys, then that speaks a lot for their skill level in my opinion. But I didn't even know about the profile thing till yeasterday...so...yeah.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Even though I really don't care about my stats...the best judge of skill I've seen tends to be how many kills they can get before dying...when they aren't the top tank.
True to some extent. Tanks that aren't top tier should indeed focus on picking off those 1-15% HP tanks that they can take out with some work, to free up the big guns of the top tanks for other threats that still have a lot of HP. It's simply a waste for an Object 704 to try and shoot an enemy at 1% when there are other targets with more HP still available.
If someone can get a lot of kills in a medium when everyone else is heavys, then that speaks a lot for their skill level in my opinion. But I didn't even know about the profile thing till yeasterday...so...yeah.
I really don't feel that there's a huge difference between mediums and heavies of the same tier. The KV used to be an overpowered monster at Tier 5, but even then I never found it an issue facing a KV using a Sherman.

The problem more often than not is that a lot of medium drivers are impatient: They try to get into a circle knife fight with heavies very early thinking that it's the only way to beat them. And what often happens when they attempt this is that the heavy tank's backup crew of other tanks (which hadn't been unmasked yet) gets free potshots at the medium now circling the heavy in the open - resulting in rapid death for the medium tank as it's not meant to take that much fire.

[On a personal note: My most memorable Sherman match involved me taking down two Tiger Is and a Tiger II in a single match - all killed with long-ranged fire to the rear]

A medium driver must learn how he can position himself to be able to deal damage without taking much return fire. Swooping in for 1:1 circle strafe matches is strictly for near the end of the match.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Oh, wow. I forgot about that efficiency calculator.

I desperately need to become marginally less efficient. Currently, it has me at 1234.86. C'mon, can't they just drop it by 0.3 to make me happy?

On an unrealted note, I really should try for 'proper' medium gameplay to actually get my head around it. I think I'm alright with ze German heavies these days and decent with the panthers. But medium mediums...hm. Might have to invest in the Sherman.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

OK, I think one of the reasons I complain about tanks not moving and such, is because I play mostly at the testserver now. It seems to be a much bigger problem there than on the normal server. Maybe it's the russians, maybe it's that some people think they can act like they want, because it's "just a testserver". It's not uncommon to have at least one tank not moving at all. I also came across a teamkiller of first class. On the testserver, it's difficult to get low tiers to play, so often, low tier fights are with only 7-8 tanks on each team. This eminent asshole <cough>wonglon</cough> managed to kill 4 of us with his Churchill, then went ahead and just shot at rocks, the ground and the sky until the other team had captured the base.

Does anybody at Wargaming care about the reports? I reported him as a teamkiller, of course. Will anything at all happen to him?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wow, that's just wrong...I hope they do something, but I've never had to report someone, so I don't know...
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

To be honest, most metrics only show a partial picture, but can be skewed heavilly. Only one does not skew.

The Efficiency Calc is... dubious. It's only accurate for the TRULY bad, and for the very good. For example, a 600 efficiency player can't even land hits properly, and is a liability to their team. It'll show in their damage dealt and win rates. However, it horrifically weighs the effects of Defense Points and Cap Points, even when they may not be doing anything. All you need to do is earn 4 or 5 Defense/cap points per game to be given a godlike efficiency. Neither of which actually reflects helping win the game, as Cap Points are now accumulated even if your team killed all the enemies, and defense points can be meaningless. Likewise, it UNDERvalues the amazing power that precisely killing key opponents or scouting has on winning.

XP per game is dubious because it doesn't take into account Premium XP Boosting, which is recorded in stats.

HIT/Damage/etc are dubious, because Arty has horrific hit rates (which wrecks your stats), TDs will do more damage than they take, and your choice of vehicle skews it immensely.

The only meaningful stat is win ratio, really. Because it takes into account what YOU did over the course of a very large sample set to contribute to your team winning. Even if that means your puny Tier 4 scout in a Tier 7 game hid in the corner, spotted once or twice, then dashed to ninja-cap the point. Or, if you used your body as a shield for flimsier TDs to wreck the enemy. Or if your medium assassinated the enemy arty and one key tank in several of your games.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Per-tank comparison of per-game stats is the best comparison, but it's not really a metric anymore, it is the performance. Win rate is the main other, but that usually wants more games than most people get in a given tank for decent accuracy.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Last night was terrible.

I played about 10 matches and won but once. Just one of those times when you can't pen, and when you do, you don't do anywhere near enough damage. Where somehow, while stationary in shrubbery in a forest you get one shotted by a heavy despite seeing NO tanks yourself. Where matchmaking kills you by constantly making you bottom tier. And worst of all, when there are matches you could easily win (final minutes of assault with a 2 on 1 advantage) your teammate insists on protecting the spawn with their TD leaving you to try and desperately take out a KV-1 using a Grille in a knife fight.

Ugh.

I rage quit after the third time my AMX-12th got one shot without even spotting the enemy who killed me.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

weemadando wrote:Last night was terrible.

I played about 10 matches and won but once. Just one of those times when you can't pen, and when you do, you don't do anywhere near enough damage. Where somehow, while stationary in shrubbery in a forest you get one shotted by a heavy despite seeing NO tanks yourself. Where matchmaking kills you by constantly making you bottom tier. And worst of all, when there are matches you could easily win (final minutes of assault with a 2 on 1 advantage) your teammate insists on protecting the spawn with their TD leaving you to try and desperately take out a KV-1 using a Grille in a knife fight.
That is bloody annoying! You get shot, but can't shoot back at anything. I've been one shotted from 100% in my IS-4 by GwTyp E. Other times, we play defence on Assault, and half the other team go to the other side of the map to make kills. When our base gets overrun and we who protects gets killed, the fuckers on the other side of the map simply don't have time to come to our rescue and the other team win even though we are stronger.

weemadando wrote:I rage quit after the third time my AMX-12th got one shot without even spotting the enemy who killed me.
How do you rage quit when you're already dead? Calling names before you leave the battle? After playing on the testserver a lot, I notice that my patience with idiots is lacking even more than before. I've seen idiots hide side by side behind own arty so that said arty couldn't turn and shoot at the enemy and I'm very tempted to shoot a round into the next fucker who park their ass just behind me and preventing me from backing into safety when I'm standing on a corner shooting at an enemy. :evil:
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Rage quit when dead = going "fuck this" and alt+F4ing.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I HATE when my team goes charging when we are the defenders on an assault map. Especially when the enemy team lacks arty, which is the only justifable reason other than 'LOLZ I want some free killz!!' at the cost of our team winning the map.

More annoying...that one map with the crossroads and the town? Don't remember the name...but if you are a defender you start on a hill, and it is even more annoying when all your team camps up there and the only non-campers get slaughtered by guys twice your size (because its ALWAYS the heavies who camp) and you loose the map because of it. :banghead:
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

There's good charging on defense and bad. On the good maps, there's some crucial terrain in the middle that you need to contest in order to get a fair fight rather than just camp right at your spawn. El Halluf is a good example, with the traditional spawns and their covered and concealed positions to fire on any camping enemies from. There's also a good chance of catching the attackers in the open en route to the south one, which is really nice. Malinovka, you really want some pickets in the forest so you can do the invisitanking rather than them.

Also, Prok assault is garbage for non-coordinated games because nobody can figure out that the point is to camp the rail crossings, then try to bring up arty and try to cover it while it pummels the enemy camp on a rail crossing. It's one of the maps that worked great on supertest but is terrible live.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I know that charging can be good...just the majority of people who do it in my matches just charge clear to the other end of the map. No strategy there...just charging like morons.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Here's an example of a terrible player, who did 'well' I saw yesterday.

It was that American Map, something Oaks. I was in my US T34, and we were winning in the town. I rushed back as I saw two heavies and a Lorraine break through along the railway. I take out the Lorraine and a tiger. I get the 2nd Tiger down to 120 hit points before I'm taken down.

In town, we have a few players who are taking losses and killing enemies. Finally, it's down to the damaged Tiger that just started to cap our base, and a T32 that has 700 hitpoints. The enemy has 2 Grilles that are out of ammo or something and now racing around town. The T32 has 3 kills from the city.

Instead of going back to base and finishing off the tiger and winning the game as the only tank around really, he chases the grilles. Kills them, at the cost of the Tiger racking up 90 percent of the base capture. Then the game ends and we lose.

So way to go. T32, 5 kills, but still worst player on the whole team.

--

Meanwhile in another game, I'm in my Pershing in Ruinberg. I'm the highest tier left, and have moderate damage. Our arty is dead, but so is the enemy's. Suddenly, a T95 rolls down the street, right at the base, totally fresh. The next best armed thing on our team is an E8 Sherman.

I zoom to the side, trying to flank it. But due to the narrow path, he's going to turn and shoot and kill me in a half second. Suddenly, this little Pz38nA, one of the worst tanks in the game, rolls up and fires HE into his treads, detracking the thing. And he keeps doing it, keeping the T95 perma-tracked. I get to the side and just keep firing into the commander's hatch, and take out the T95 after 15 shots. He WON the game, against a T95.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wow...talk about a lucky 38nA...that was one good player to know how to use his tank against the bigger ones. Now if only more people played like that (on second thought...nevermind, having idiots on the other teams is too good to pass up).
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Things like that are why I hate it when someone just quits because of crappy matchmaking. I had a match in my Valentine, platooned with a friend, where I ended up facing off against tier 7 and 8s, I contributed by shooting the tracks off of a Panther and keeping him still for an M12 to kill. Too many people in matches like that focus on what they can't do, "Woe is me, I can't pen the IS-12" instead of focusing on what they can do, tracking enemies, keeping them spotted arty and tds, and providing distractions if needed.

The other day, I made an M103 driver look retarded with my Jumbo, not by killing him, though I did do some damage, but by kiting his ass into the line of fire of an S-51. He was so fucused on removing the irritating little med, that he never noticed the huge artillary cannon pointed at him. If I thought like most people, I would have been like "Fuck that, he's three tiers and a weight class above me, I can't do anything to him."
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.