World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by The Infidel »

New record, lads. TEN FUCKING KILLS! :lol:
Victory!
Battle: Mines 6. august 2012 19:20:37
Vehicle: T18
Experience received: 943
Credits received: 14 496
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

I'm gonna put this one on Youtube, but need some software a friend have, so be patient.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

God, I just had one of these games which turned out awesome/hilarious...and that despite being AFK for a good four minutes.

I was in a KV-1, the map was Fisherman's Bay. South spawn.

So...I came back to the game to see an ELC rushing our arty...couldn't hit the damn thing, but a lucky arty shot blew it up. So I begin to trundle towards the village, where I see our guys getting schooled. I spy a T1 Heavy and an M4, but can't line up a shot. I fire a few rounds at a Jumbo running around the hilltop road, but can't pen. Then I miss a T-50 THREE TIMES despite it providing a clear profile and not moving fast.

Cursing everything, I roll back to base, since it started getting capped by said T1 and an M4. And whoa, man.

First, another T1 rolls out of bushes. I snapshot him, he blows up. I trundle forwards. The M4 dies to arty, but then our arty dies, too. Turns out there's a previously unseen M7 med and T1 Heavy at our spawn, they have a Lorraine arty and I'm the sole remaining tank on my team.

So I roll into the spawn ; The T1 tries to go straight for the cap, and we trade shots. No contest: he shows his ass to me in an attempt to flank, so I make quick work of him with about three shots. All his shells bounce.

But then something slams into me, I think its their arty. Nope...the M7 tried to go behind me, but didn't see where I was due to bushes ; He slammed into me at full speed and killed himself. Then I casually rolled up the hill where the Lorraine was skulking, ate a shell and nailed it with my return shot. 1300 exp :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I should be playing tonight, so that might work. I will probably start around 6:00 (CST).

As for the III/IV...its an aquired taste. Most people hate them, but it remains my personal favorite tank. To put it in perspective...it has better rear/side armor than the IV (not by much, but still better) and while it has slightly thinner frontal armor it has a nice slope to it. Plus, unlike the IV you start out with a good length 75, though the second gun isn't much better than the basic one.

My best advice would be play it like the L/70 IV, just with less range on your gun. I'm not sure how it compares speed wise, so that's how I played it...just make sure to aim for the sides of larger tanks...even a KV-1 can be penned by the second gun from the side reliably, and occasionally from the front.

EDIT: Ten kills! :shock: Isn't that almost the entire enemy team?

EDIT Zwei: Nice game there PeZook. I might have to go for the KV-1 now. :)

EDIT The Third: Meh, I was going off memory from something I read years ago...I might have gotten the Tiger 1 mixed up with the Tiger 2. At least I was right about Ferdi's breaking down, even if I slipped into WoT mode thought process wise.

Need to be more careful when posting off memories of something I read years ago evidently.
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-08-06 02:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, I'm still a noob player (if a few months is a noob...) so I wasn't around for the earlier discussions. And really, while those Soviet problems were gotten rid of for gameplay, the same could be said about the BCT's (Big Cat Tanks) problems. Like the Tiger being a slow moving monster that could get stuck in the lightest mud. Or how the Panther broke down every other battle.

Or for extra hilarity, look at the Ferdi...the only time they were used in large-ish numbers (Kursk) they were wiped out beacuse they couldn't turn quick enough to get a shot off, and broke down worse than the BCT's did.
Uh, Tigers could handle mud acceptably. There are accounts of M4s bogging down in muddy fields that Tigers had just crossed. Wider tracks help, and the two vehicles have very similar ground pressures. The Panther is lower as one might expect. No one is saying the Tiger has stellar mobility, but it got around just fine. Off-road speeds for WWII AFVs did not differ all that drastically.

And most Ferdinands were lost to mechanical failure, not because they could not turn. Real AFVs do not circle strafe each other. When you have a cannon that can reach out several kilometers, even a 28 degree traverse lets you cover a large area and get in quite a few shots before something can close the range. Charging works in WoT because the ranges are artificially low and the durability of tanks and off-road speeds artificially high. In real life charging gets you a lot of dead tanks, as evidenced by Russian losses.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

As a German driver I think one of the problems with the panther in particular, and the tiger to a lesser extent is that normally it is hard to play to their strengths by keeping the enemy at arms length...you can't retreat as that normally exposes you too much, and most maps on the advance force you to close in and knife fight.

Anyway any notion of realism must go away when you see tanks dash from rock to rock like this was a game of counter strike anyway lol

Phew..just had a close one. I used my tiger ii to face hug a t34 and keep his buddy tiger ii attention on me while two other heavies flanked around. I killed the t34 and barely avoided being killed in return by my team taking out the tiger...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:EDIT: Ten kills! :shock: Isn't that almost the entire enemy team?
A good 2/3 of it. Yes! Amazing. So much fun! Have T18 with 75mm howitzer (can one shot a lot), binocs, camonet and improved ventilation. All crew at 100%. It can be a beast! For a year, I never had the top gun medal and thought I was cursed. Then suddenly I got it and my record was 7 kills for a long time. Had many games with 7 kills, but 10 kills is nice. It feels nice to be in the double digit killzone. :wink:
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote: EDIT Zwei: Nice game there PeZook. I might have to go for the KV-1 now. :)
The reaction of that M7 was priceless.

"Well, at least you hit him HARD!" (I lost 60 HP :P)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Simon_Jester wrote:The traditional means of killing Lowes without knowing how the hell it happened is by shooting the turret mantlet just below the gun barrel and having it ricochet down into the thin top armor covering the hull just in front of the turret.

Shot traps are fun!
Is that actually modeled ingame? It would certainly explain how I managed to finish off that one my 3601 ran into head-on while trying to flank the other day.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It is, but I'm damned if I can actually make it work.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Rekkon wrote:
And most Ferdinands were lost to mechanical failure, not because they could not turn. Real AFVs do not circle strafe each other. When you have a cannon that can reach out several kilometers, even a 28 degree traverse lets you cover a large area and get in quite a few shots before something can close the range. Charging works in WoT because the ranges are artificially low and the durability of tanks and off-road speeds artificially high. In real life charging gets you a lot of dead tanks, as evidenced by Russian losses.
It leads to lots of dead tanks, but it also leads to victory if your the Russian tank hordes. The Russians in particular were fond of tactics that involved charging a Tiger with a pair of T-34s at a time, so the Tiger was stuck fighting one while the other ran up to it and pumped 76mm rounds into its side at point blank.

Course referring to history and WW2 when it comes to this game makes my head hurt. WoT is not a tank sim, it's not meant to be one either. Anyone who plays the game and then whines on the forums about irrelevant historical statistics over his pet tank needs his head checked.

If anything WoT reminds me of Mechwarrior and Chromehounds. Minus the legs.
Best care anywhere.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

CaptHawkeye wrote:It leads to lots of dead tanks, but it also leads to victory if your the Russian tank hordes. The Russians in particular were fond of tactics that involved charging a Tiger with a pair of T-34s at a time, so the Tiger was stuck fighting one while the other ran up to it and pumped 76mm rounds into its side at point blank.
Ya, assuming you have enough tanks to pay the price, which the Russians did.

Two T-34s would generally not be enough, but that is just an issue of numbers that is subject to the terrain, the Tiger's alertness, gunner skill and how well the Tiger is supported. Shermans did similar things. It is not like you have a lot of choice when forced to tackle a Tiger head on. You see a lot of literature say "needed 5 Shermans to take out 1 Tiger", but I do not know if that was a valid rule of thumb in the field or just an after the fact aggregation of statistics.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Obviously my knowledge is somewhat flawed (going to College to fix that) but it seems like that would be a reasonable average number. Say if the Tiger is in a good defensive position...it would take five or more Shermans to take it down. If its in a bad place, it might take less. So I would guess that the '5 Shermans for 1 Tiger' thing is an average number from after the war.

Then again, it may have been the case during the war...too bad my Grandfather died, since he was actually there...that would have been a good question for me to ask him.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The thing about the new matchmaker is that for everyone but Tier 10 tanks, it means you get the experience of being in the top tier a lot more often. I like that; it's a good deal all around, now that the game has a big stable player base so we aren't waiting around too long to find matches.
Broken wrote:Ahh, the much delayed 8.0 physics engine. I eagerly await the youtubes of Maus driving off cliffs to smash puny tanks below them.
Driving off of cliffs should so hurt big tanks more than small ones...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Broken wrote:Ahh, the much delayed 8.0 physics engine. I eagerly await the youtubes of Maus driving off cliffs to smash puny tanks below them.
Driving off of cliffs should so hurt big tanks more than small ones...
Piff nothing, I want to Voltron my tanks. I want my Tiger to have a Hellcat on my roof to protect it from artillery. I want to mount my Jagpanther on two Stuarts so it can turn faster. I want my KV2 to be carried on the backs of two T-50s so it can zoom across the map.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

According to the thread in the WoT forums, driving off cliffs does hurt your tank. And one could assume that it would hurt something like a Maus, much more than a Stuart.

EDIT: :lol:

Nice one Bean.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Quick question...how fast does a KV-1 shoot? Beacuse I got killed by one in 3601...and I swear, the thing got a shell off every 2-3 seconds...
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I've been looking at getting into this game for a while, but for various reasons I haven't. Is it worth getting into if you're just a casual gamer and don't have much time to play?
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The KV-1 can mount the 57mm ZIS-4 cannon. That thing fires about every two seconds.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ah...that explains things. I was thinking for a second there the guy was hacking the game or something since I've never seen a KV use that gun.

And while I'm asking Russian tank questions...I'm back to the A-20 (trying to get the T-34) and I was wondering...which gun is the best? At the moment I'm using the 37mm auto-cannon, but I'm wondering if the 47mm or 76mm are better.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ah...that explains things. I was thinking for a second there the guy was hacking the game or something since I've never seen a KV use that gun.

And while I'm asking Russian tank questions...I'm back to the A-20 (trying to get the T-34) and I was wondering...which gun is the best? At the moment I'm using the 37mm auto-cannon, but I'm wondering if the 47mm or 76mm are better.
With the A-20, I'm sorely tempted to say whichever's lightest, although the 76mm and 47 at least have the pen to be a lot more likely to do some damage. I'd say whichever of those two is on the way to the T-34.

Also, I just had a heck of a game. It's a very weird feeling driving around with 17 hp knowing that if you don't get two damaging shots into an enemy you're probably going to lose. It's a great feeling sinking them despite an unlucky trackshot.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2905546451 ... .wotreplay

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line Monday, August 06, 2012 8:29:00 PM
Vehicle: T-54
Experience received: 2,331
Credits received: 75,609
Battle Achievements: Bölter's Medal, Steel Wall, Top Gun

The worst bit? That wasn't my best T-54 round of the night.
Last edited by xthetenth on 2012-08-06 08:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The 76 is on the way to the T-34 (in fact, its the stock 34 gun). I was just wondering since I thought it might be similar to the T-34 in that you want the autocannon even if it is lighter (since everyone says the 57mm auto is the best T-34 gun).
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Repost because my first post got burried waiting for mod approval.

I've been looking at getting into this game for a while, but for various reasons I haven't. Is it worth getting into if you're just a casual gamer and don't have much time to play?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

If you stay low-tier...yeah it is a very fun game. But unless you buy premium, don't expect to get above T5 or so if you don't play a whole lot.

But, some people (myself included) will tell you that the low tier (1-3) are actually the most fun. So take what you will from that.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The 57 isn't an autoloader, it's a high rate of fire gun, and the 57 aims faster, is more accurate and has much more DPM all with slightly better penetration, while the autocannon is just a spraygun. The main reason you'd want to consider the autocannon is because it'll kill an arty that you get alone much faster than the other choices although the penetration is iffy even for that.

And yeah, you can have some fun with it for sure just casually playing once in a while.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh, I guess I miss-read that then. Either way, the 76 on the A-20 is proving to be much more useful than the autocannon ever was.