World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: World of Tanks

Post by AniThyng »

Random RL tank question here: We all know modern tanks can fire on the move, but how easy or hard is it to reload on the move? I know that an M1's stated ROF is 6 rnds/minute, but in theory a fresh loader can load the gun faster still, but is he able to reload the gun while the tank is moving at combat speed over rough terrain? I suppose for WWII tanks with much less modern suspensions and that do not fire on the move, the loader waits till the tank stops to prepare to fire and reloads only then?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I actually agree on the Battlestations thing...I'm somewhat hoping that WoWS (whereas WoWP for Warplanes) would have a similar combat system. But, I have faith that Wargaming could come up with a new one if needed.

And on the WoT front...I love the T8 76mm on the 3601. It is nice to pen Lowe's from the front every once in a while, even if the damage sucks. The big problem is lack of HE and not doing much damage to lighter targets.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

AniThyng wrote:
xthetenth wrote:So Wargaming bought Bigworld...

Now that they own their engine, it should be a lot easier for them to build on it like they have been and bigworld should become a much more appealing engine.
I have to admit I am looking forward to grinding world of warships to get a des Moines and a Tone.

While I would love a historical Des Moines, they can't have one for balance reasons, otherwise the Des Moines would murder everything its size or smaller in a hail of radar-directed auto-loading 8 inch shell fire :lol:
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Nothing would stop having torpedoes on US cruisers, aside from Atlanta class which carried them in the war on some hulls, several US heavy cruisers had torpedo tubes but removed prior to the war. Given how not historically accurate world of tanks is, I can't see details like that becoming a serious problem for warships. I'd be kind of disappointed though if they have carriers, it would be better I think if they limit people to catapult float planes only. That'd work out better anyway since only the US-Japan-UK had serious numbers of carrier designs plus carrier capable aircraft, while otherwise Italy, Germany and the USSR have more then enough real and reasonable paper ships to flesh out elaborate surface warfare fleet. Depends though on how many sides are present, if its only the first three then this doesn't matter, or if they keep the number of ship designs more low ball then world of tanks.

Though I kind of think world of warships would make a lot more sense if it started more like 1914, allowing for near unlimited tiers, as well as more upgrade options, before reaching missiles and such, but doubt that will happen either.
World of Warplanes currently has different lines between nations, with all three having fighters, the US having carrier fighters, the Germans having heavy fighters, and the USSR having ground attack planes, so with what I've seen I don't think they'll shy away from releasing nation trees even if they can't find carrier designs because there's a good battleship, carrier and destroyer line to add. I personally like carriers, because unlike arty there is defense to be had from them, they'll be much more able to counter each other, and they offer a lot of flexibility in how to engage the enemy and with fleet composition, but I'll see when it hits alpha.

I believe they will be starting around 1914 or so by the way, seeing as the screenshots here include a Fuso and what I believe is a Queen Elizabeth (I can't get the larger version of the pictures to load so I'm working from memory here).
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Aaaand my losses continue to pile up. I think I'm now merely 30 away from a 50-50 ratio. And that's really depressing. I play to the best I can, look at the map and the entire other flank has gone from 8 tanks to 0 in literally a minute. I seem to melt my own team, just by being there.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

That happens to me a lot too Vanas. I don't know what my win/loss rate is myself...should probably check that eh?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Broken wrote:
AniThyng wrote:
xthetenth wrote:So Wargaming bought Bigworld...

Now that they own their engine, it should be a lot easier for them to build on it like they have been and bigworld should become a much more appealing engine.
I have to admit I am looking forward to grinding world of warships to get a des Moines and a Tone.

While I would love a historical Des Moines, they can't have one for balance reasons, otherwise the Des Moines would murder everything its size or smaller in a hail of radar-directed auto-loading 8 inch shell fire :lol:
And the Iowa won't? :D

I guess well just have to invent a fantasy guided long lance to compensate lol
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*fanboy response*

No of course not! The Yamato will OWN the Iowa with teh 18 INCH FURY!! :lol:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You shouldn't give a shit about W/L if you're playing pub games. You do what you can do and then you wait and see if the rest of your team is a pack of fucking muppets eager to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't really care about it actually, I just got curious for a second there. Honestly, I don't care if I win or loose, just how much fun the match is. I've had some great matches where the team looses in the end, but it didn't matter since I had fun in it.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Last minute losing is so common in this game too. I've seen 7 > 0 games turn 7 < 15 and lose because people get over confident fast after a few kills.
Best care anywhere.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

AniThyng wrote:
And the Iowa won't? :D

Fantasy? Its called a Kaiten. Best guidance system Japan can breed!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:lol:
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

System also compatible with Ohka bombers!

The US actually developed a system of pigeon steered bombs. Supposedly they worked too, but the project was cancelled because you're guiding bombs with fucking pigeons.
Best care anywhere.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It still worked better than the bat bombs or the soviet Anti-Tank Dog Bombs.

Protip: Train them to run under *GERMAN* tanks.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

AniThyng wrote: And the Iowa won't? :D

While the Iowa class was a great set of battleships, they did not have such a huge leap as the Des Moines over its preceding class the South Dakota's. The Dei Moines had a new auto-loader system that let them spit out 12 rounds per barrel per minute, roughly twice the rate of fire of the manual loading Oregon City class. That's why I said it would be a hail of fire :wink:
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Wow.

The M46 Patton is astonishing. That cannon's pen is just enough to penetrate any tank in the game frontally with good aiming, while maintaining an astonishing RoF 50 percent faster than a heavy. While being fast, light, able to deflect freak hits, and capable of spotting things in bushes with X-Ray vision.

I cannot possibly imagine how insane the M48A1 is. Somehow, the Patton with Optics spotted a stationary Obj704 in a bush from 200 meters away. o_o
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And on the WoT front...I love the T8 76mm on the 3601. It is nice to pen Lowe's from the front every once in a while, even if the damage sucks. The big problem is lack of HE and not doing much damage to lighter targets.
Are you using gold rounds?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Nope, I don't have premium remember? And its only like every 30-40 or so rounds that gets through a Lowe from the front. The damage still sucks though...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You don't need premium to buy gold rounds, you just need to be willing to spend a few bucks. I do it sometimes when the ammo's on sale during a special.

For my VK3601, I bought something like 100 gold rounds (on sale, it cost a dollar or two of real money), so I could use the squeeze-bore 75mm for a while. That was just to get me through to where I could unlock the long 75mm/L70 for the upgraded turret, though; I didn't keep paying for more of the ammo despite the joy of being able to drill holes in damn near anything.

Without gold ammo, the conical gun is... I can't imagine really wanting to play it. The damage output is so low (lower even than normal 75mm guns). Against most targets tough enough for the extra armor penetration to matter, the 65 points of damage you do is practically irrelevant. Unless you luck out with module damage, I guess...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I just got the long 107 on my KV-4, played one match, and well, this happened

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay Wednesday, August 08, 2012 10:25:25 PM
Vehicle: KV-4
Experience received: 3,818 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 57,694
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, I really wrecked my win ratio in the Sherman yesterday. Grinding those final 3% of crew skill has been a PAIN.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Mwahahaha, I finally got a game where I got to unleash the full potential of a high rof, high pen gun. On the new Serene Coast map, possibly because no one is famaliar with it or the players were noobs, I scored like 4 long range kills with my panther, all thanks to being able to rapidly pump rounds before they could trundle to cover. I think the refire helped, if it were a 88 I would only be able to hit them once or twice instead of 4-6 times, and with Deadeye and a few choice crits... :D

2 more on the remaining and top gun was mine.
I do know how to spell
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Honestly, I've done some pretty decent damage with that gun. And I'm not planning on keeping it past when I can get the next 75/76 in line...its just taking a while to reach said gun.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have been inspired, after rewatching "Four Tanksmen And a Dog" for the zillionth time, to grind a T-34-85 again.

It shall be painful (A20 here I come...), but glorious! Too bad I don't get to have a dog in my crew, or I'd be undefeatable.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.