World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah...the A-20 is a painful tank to grind. Its better than it used to be since they fixed (more or less) the MM...but still painful. I should know, I'm only half-way through grinding it myself.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I ground through it once in the beta, but went American for the release. But nostalgia hit me, and so I shall try to do it again.

BTW, grinding up to tier IV is totally trivial. It used to be much harder.

Maybe I just suck less.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Simon_Jester wrote: So I'm sure that in World of Battleships, the designers will be happy to include unique features or non-features for certain nations' ships.
I know, I did play this game some before concluding that it takes up far too much time, but none of that stuff matters remotely to the unbeatable degree the way one side being able to fly off one hundred aircraft, and the other side fifty or less would, unless they make planes so useless they might as well not be in the game. The unique features are based on reality as generally are the features of the vehicles and guns. Go that avenue on warships, and umm, yeah the sides with better carriers also had better carrier planes, and better anti aircraft batteries and better deck armor. Navyfield dealt with this by being generally pretty retarded and completely based on pay to win as noted before. Too bad though, as those screen shots do show a Queen Elizabeth in a WW1 configuration, the Fuso is 1930s rebuild, but they also show Ark Royal.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

PeZook wrote:I have been inspired, after rewatching "Four Tanksmen And a Dog" for the zillionth time, to grind a T-34-85 again.

It shall be painful (A20 here I come...), but glorious! Too bad I don't get to have a dog in my crew, or I'd be undefeatable.
Well, with some modding, you might be able to get a dog as your radioman. That's the best job to give a dog, right? All it'd take is a custom crew portrait, and a custom name entry. You may want to put in a request on the forums.
PeZook wrote:I ground through it once in the beta, but went American for the release. But nostalgia hit me, and so I shall try to do it again.

BTW, grinding up to tier IV is totally trivial. It used to be much harder.

Maybe I just suck less.
That's usually the case.
Sea Skimmer wrote:I know, I did play this game some before concluding that it takes up far too much time, but none of that stuff matters remotely to the unbeatable degree the way one side being able to fly off one hundred aircraft, and the other side fifty or less would, unless they make planes so useless they might as well not be in the game. The unique features are based on reality as generally are the features of the vehicles and guns. Go that avenue on warships, and umm, yeah the sides with better carriers also had better carrier planes, and better anti aircraft batteries and better deck armor. Navyfield dealt with this by being generally pretty retarded and completely based on pay to win as noted before. Too bad though, as those screen shots do show a Queen Elizabeth in a WW1 configuration, the Fuso is 1930s rebuild, but they also show Ark Royal.
They can do what tanks did to some degree and not always tier contemporaries together like the panther being a tier higher than the late model Shermans and T-34-85s that they usually fought. They've also said that instead of what they were thinking earlier about having groups of ships under one person's control, there'd be slots which can be filled with different combinations of ships, so they do have a way to take subpar carriers and make them more useful because even if two British carriers can't equal the firepower of one US one, two of them are going to be a bunch more resilient to damage and you can get a lot of flexibility from splitting them.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, I just noticed Wargaming wants 50 gold to CHANGE MY CREWMEMBER'S NAME.

I mean, holy crap :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Or just write down his name and change the text file if I remember how to do it.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

xthetenth wrote:Or just write down his name and change the text file if I remember how to do it.
Hm. I thought it was stored on the server?

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hah! Thanks a lot, man :D

On to grind the T-34! :D

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

The developers mentioned having Pre Dreadnoughts in Warships which I simply have to get in on. The developers in WoW aren't planning on player controlled AA though which makes me kind of sad. It's also nitpicking on my part too but no auxiliaries or submarines either. :( At least not on release. To be fair those ships have little role in the kinds of fleet engagements which are basically going to be the crux of the game. You could make them more useful by featuring other kinds of mission scenarios, not just Team Deathmatch.
Best care anywhere.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Pre-Dreds? Now that would be fun to play.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Fuck yeah!
I ("Berntsen") played the T18 with two friends at Malinokva. We talked over Skype and had a great time. When the game was won, we found out that the 3 of us had killed every single enemy tank. That was great fun! :) "Arnemann" made a video of it. Guess that's why his window is bigger... :wink:

Hm, maybe I'll ask him to fix the music...
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

xthetenth wrote:
They can do what tanks did to some degree and not always tier contemporaries together like the panther being a tier higher than the late model Shermans and T-34-85s that they usually fought. They've also said that instead of what they were thinking earlier about having groups of ships under one person's control, there'd be slots which can be filled with different combinations of ships, so they do have a way to take subpar carriers and make them more useful because even if two British carriers can't equal the firepower of one US one, two of them are going to be a bunch more resilient to damage and you can get a lot of flexibility from splitting them.
So both those carriers will be controlled by me? How does this work? So if I have instead say, a Tone CA and a Fletcher DD, I can take them both into battle at the same time with both under my control? Sort of like a sort of self-platooning? So this will be more of a "RTS"*control rather then direct control of the ships?

*I would actually enjoy RTS control, then making decisions about firecontrol and damage control and tactics rather then literally firing the main battery with autoaim. Tanks are one thing, warships another altogether.

Yay, 5x experience weekend in SEA server (Due to Singapore and Malaysia's independence days this month). M26, here I come!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I can't remember the last time the US server had a 5x XP event.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Other things that you don't see so much on NA anymore, either- reduced module costs (though we just had that again now), reduced training costs.

And I feel like the reduced tank cost specials are usually affecting fewer vehicles, though that could just be me.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Just got the M4 Sherman, and am loving the 105 Derp. I can kill/damage anything, and once I get hull down, the tank's damn hard to kill with an incredible gun depression. can't believe I didnt go down this line sooner. (effin' Lee). Having fun with and being frustrated by the T-34-85 (Wondering how best to play it) Almost have my PzIV crew at 100% and am about done with all research the t-49 except the super advanced radio. is Radio research worth it at all? i usually stick pretty close to teammates if I'm not Arty.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Simon_Jester wrote:Other things that you don't see so much on NA anymore, either- reduced module costs (though we just had that again now), reduced training costs.

And I feel like the reduced tank cost specials are usually affecting fewer vehicles, though that could just be me.
We had a half price module event a while back. I think that was all servers though. Kicking myself because I wasn't paying attention and missed a chance to get all the VertStabs I needed, lol.

On that note, reviewing my paypal bills, I think now is a good point to stop buying gold and spend the gold I do have with a bit more thought. >_> <_<
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The NA server is having an arty party this weekend, but it comes with increased crew exp gain (huzzah, training up the lat 3% of my Sherman crew was taking me FOREVER), 3x exp bonus and some other stuff that actually affects arty :P

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

AniThyng wrote:
xthetenth wrote:
So both those carriers will be controlled by me? How does this work? So if I have instead say, a Tone CA and a Fletcher DD, I can take them both into battle at the same time with both under my control? Sort of like a sort of self-platooning? So this will be more of a "RTS"*control rather then direct control of the ships?

*I would actually enjoy RTS control, then making decisions about firecontrol and damage control and tactics rather then literally firing the main battery with autoaim. Tanks are one thing, warships another altogether.
Q: Can you explain how players will manage their groups of ships? What will the leveling system look like for these groups?

A: Actually, we’ve decided to go in a different direction. Players will not be controlling small groups of ships; every ship will be controlled by a player. Instead, each team will have 10 slots, where each slot can be filled by multiple combinations of ships. We’re still testing this structure, and we’ll be able to share more details about it after we’ve done some rebalancing.

Q: What about the scale of battles? How many players will be able to participate in the battle?

A: The battles in this game will be much bigger than World of Tanks. We’re looking at a number somewhere between 30-36 players per match. There are technical limitations that keep us from going much higher than that.

The implication I'm getting is that you're going to be running your ship, but some smaller ships will take less room on your team's roster. Also, I saw mention of carriers having a lot of RTS in their control scheme.

source
PeZook wrote:The NA server is having an arty party this weekend, but it comes with increased crew exp gain (huzzah, training up the lat 3% of my Sherman crew was taking me FOREVER), 3x exp bonus and some other stuff that actually affects arty :P
I'm very happy to see a 3x crew weekend, getting crew skills on my tanks is like pulling teeth when a good tier ten crew has at least two secondaries.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

ANybody has an idea whether the 7.4 low-res textures also work for 7.5? the game has become unplayable for me...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

They might. I don't know how the packaging works, but it should just replace the skins for all the non-new tanks.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hah. One evening, before I became bored I managed to finally get a 100% Shermang crew with 34% of the first secondary qualification.

And that's despite sucking ass today! :D

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

3x and being at the low end of a skill progression should make things crazy fast. Skill progression is faster the less of that skill you have so the first bit of secondaries are easy as hell to pick up. Unfortunately I should be playing one of my CW tanks but I'm playing all of the warplanes because something I probably can't say.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I just realized that WOT 7.5 acts like a virus. Even after a reboot, (not starting the game) it instantly starts reading the disk (all its *.pkg files) over and over again - puts me on 100% disk activity. No wonder the game lags and crashes...

Even killing the processes (svchost.exe - so good luck finding the right ones) is useless, because after a reboot, it instantly starts again...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

LaCroix wrote:I just realized that WOT 7.5 acts like a virus. Even after a reboot, (not starting the game) it instantly starts reading the disk (all its *.pkg files) over and over again - puts me on 100% disk activity. No wonder the game lags and crashes...

Even killing the processes (svchost.exe - so good luck finding the right ones) is useless, because after a reboot, it instantly starts again...
Ok, seems to be a known problem. Admins told me to uninstall and reinstall... Currently trying.