Fed Weapons

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

David
Moderator Emeritus

Fed Weapons

Post by David »

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I recently looked through the Fed Technical Manual and it does give the actual weapon strength of Fed weapons. I bring this up because I see a lot of vs. topics that have to do with SW weapons, but not ST.

Anyways:

Fed hand phasers, type 1 and 2 : .01 megawatts

Fed starship phasers, type 10 : 5.1 megawatts

Fed photon torpedos : caipable of carring 1.5 kilograms of antimatter
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

At the time of the books publishing, type 10 was what was mounted on Galaxy class starships and was the largest the Feds put on it ships. The only phaser type more powerful is the kind that is planet based, and the book say that it's type and strength was classified :roll: .

Anyways, the book also says that maximum range of a photon torpedo is 3, 500, 000 kilometers.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

At the time of the books publishing, type 10 was what was mounted on Galaxy class starships and was the largest the Feds put on it ships. The only phaser type more powerful is the kind that is planet based, and the book say that it's type and strength was classified :roll: .

Anyways, the book also says that maximum range of a photon torpedo is 3, 500, 000 kilometers.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yeah but Tm arent canon so...... :?:
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

TheDarkling wrote:Yeah but Tm arent canon so...... :?:
So Trek is saved the horror of being left with only a few MW of Phaser power.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Trek weapons are all over the place ranging from a 100 kilotons for torps from pegasus to 250 Gigatons for the Romulan Plasma torp frmo balance of terror (someone used those torps to get a shield calc for the ent-nil it came out at around 3000 gigatons).

We also have people using the pegasus incident to prove gigaton level torps where others prove kiloton weapons.

The tm clocks in at about 42 MT right? hmmm I wonder if you use the uber anti matter in torps what that comes out as.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

How in blazes does one get gigaton-range yields from Pegasus?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Howedar wrote:How in blazes does one get gigaton-range yields from Pegasus?
Smoking pot.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I have never seen the calcs but it has something to do with Data mentioning that the gravity in the asteriod could effect a shuttle and since a shuttle is ok on a planet they get a minium gravity for the asteriod thus they get a mass which means the asteroid is super dense.

Thats the basics of it however I never saw the actual calcs just someone mentioned these calcs in passing and I asked for details - thats basically what I was told.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

TheDarkling wrote:I have never seen the calcs but it has something to do with Data mentioning that the gravity in the asteriod could effect a shuttle and since a shuttle is ok on a planet they get a minium gravity for the asteriod thus they get a mass which means the asteroid is super dense.
Whoever told you that clearly suffers from an uncritical mindset. Every object in the universe would be affected, to some infinitesimal degree, by the asteroid's gravity. Unless we know how much, we cannot calculate it. Furthermore, if this was in a fluctuating gravity field (which I seem to recall being true), then it cannot be compared to the constant pull of a planet.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well I just looked it up at ASVS and the final result was that the pro wars guy(s) agreed not to use the Pegasus situation for weapons calcs since there are too many unknowns (the pro trek guys made no such statement however but I think the situation was decided to be null and void for calc purposes).

The actual statement was that the gravity of the asteroid may overwhelm a shuttles engines and thats how they worked out the mass and so on.
Yes it was varying (probably due to the pegasus and its subspace field).
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

It is nice to throw in idiot Trekkie's faces, though. :lol: I personally tend to stick to the TM's torpedo figures, despite their questionable accuracy. C'mon, when it would take a few thousand fired in one second to drop a 30 year old transport's shields, I think I can allow them that figure. :twisted: