World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks

Post by wautd »

xthetenth wrote: What are your main tank lines? Some have good premiums to match, some don't.
I'm thinking about French lights, American tank destroyers and Soviet or German heavies. Based on your comment I might take to Churchill for the Soviet line then. If I got money to spare, I got fond memories of the Ram II.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Sounds good. The French light/medium tree has a bar to entry till tier five and then it rapidly becomes derptastically hilarious and awesome. The American TDs, especially the turreted TD line are some of the best tanks in the game and may very well be my pick for the best tree in the entire game. The T18, T82, M8A1, T49, T30 (It can take two or three more nerf patches) and T110E4 are outstanding tanks in my book, and the M18 and T28 Prototype are excellent. Be warned, if you ever plan on making it to tier 8 in that line, no matter how much you want to get out of the T25/2, make sure you have the free xp to get the 105mm gun on the T28 proto. The T25/2 is the only bad tank in the entire line, but the T28 Proto just can't survive with a 90mm gun, it needs better penetration. I'd say the US turreted TD line is probably the second best line overall in the game though, only behind the US Medium line going through the M4. The Soviet heavies are a real good pick for pubbing, they aren't hard to drive and they have a good premium to train the crew in and don't have many bad tanks. I'd recommend running both in parallel or going with the IS-7 line, the KV-4 doesn't give you any of what the ST-I needs to become a good tank.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

What is pubbing?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Random matches. (I think it's short for pick up battles or something.)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I thought that pubbing was short for 'public battles' myself.

As for the French tanks...once you get to the ELC, you will find all the work with the AMX 38/40 to be worth it. That thing is hilarious and a fun drive. I can't say anything on the other trees though since I'm only doing the American Heavy, German Med, and Soviet Med trees.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

:mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Woo VK3002DB - it's like a T20 that can bounce shots off the hull! :D

Turret or Engine first? Already got the tracks. I'm leaning on the turret so I can use the 88 to get more exp by virtue of more damage per shot, but it's a big heavy thing that might compromise my mobility. What do I do??? D:
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Is there a SDN squad thingy on the euro servers?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To me the VK3002 feels like a blasted nuisance. I have to retrain my crew twice to go from the lovely 3601 to the Panther; it's not worth the hassle since the VK3002 basically doesn't unlock anything I can use later and all its modules are either already on the 3601 or unique to itself. I think I'll just save enough free XP to buy straight to the Panther.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Noooo, don't go Panther. Never go Panther!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Huh, I remember the (sufficiently upgraded) VK3002 be one of my favorites. Unless it's been nerfed in the mean time.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I already have a panther and a tiger, so I'm really just getting it to be ready for whenever the
Leo 1is released lol.

Also because grinding tier 8 is a pain, though I really do want to get my m46.

I do miss running my tiger I. Should pull it out of retirement and playing for fun
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

You know, sometimes, I don't mind losing.

Just had an Encounter match on the Siegfriend Line, in the Katy. Myself and a Type 59 headed for the bunkers to stave off the enemy, while most of the team headed for the town. I see a SuperP in the distance, line up a shot...

And when hearing and vision return, I've got 66HP and seem to have had about 30 tonnes of armour shaved off of my tank. Pretty much every gun the enemy had managed to open up on me in a near perfect salvo. Well, balls. Especially when the Type reported an E-75 on the field before the Jagdpanther II blew him up. However, for the next few minutes, something terrifying and bizzare happened. Gunfire from three sides pelted my poor defenceless King Tiger and achieved... nothing. I must have been at the perfect angle.

A T29 far to the side managed to do nothing but tread me a few times. The E-75 came out of cover and tried relocating to pen my armour to no avail. Sadly didn't kill him, but I dealt at least 60% to him. A King Tiger and a Panther engaged from head on and recieved nothing for their efforts save my return fire. All good things come to an end though, and I was *eventually* flanked by the SuperP. I didn't stop laughing for a good while afterwards.

Sometimes, everything is made better.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Playing low tier last night I was in a LolTraktor doing an encounter on Himmelsdorf. I rolled up the hill with a bunch of others to try and take the zone only to have a shot from a BT-2 blast straight through me, tracking me, setting my engine and ammo on fire. My crew manage to save the tank but for the next minute I'm nothing but a pillbox. Then I become a marginally mobile pillbox as components come online. The enemy gets up to 99% on the zone before a group valiantly rush in and interrupt the cap and sacrifice themselves.

As soon as I get moving again, I become some angel of vengeance. Nothing could touch me and I was laying out damages everywhere and got the two final kills of the match. The large group from the hilltop battle finish our sweep and roll down to the railyards destroying everything in our path. It was quite good.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

AniThyng wrote:Woo VK3002DB - it's like a T20 that can bounce shots off the hull! :D

Turret or Engine first? Already got the tracks. I'm leaning on the turret so I can use the 88 to get more exp by virtue of more damage per shot, but it's a big heavy thing that might compromise my mobility. What do I do??? D:
I'd recommend the 75mm L/70 over the 88mm. The 3002DB is a good sniper, and the 75mm is better suited to the sort of fighting the 3002 is good at than the 88mm.
Zinegata wrote:Noooo, don't go Panther. Never go Panther!
Why not go Panther? The Panther is one of the best tanks I've ever had the pleasure of driving.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Er wait what?

I've been deliberately cultivating a decision to go down the German medium tree; what would you have me do?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
AniThyng wrote:Woo VK3002DB - it's like a T20 that can bounce shots off the hull! :D

I'd recommend the 75mm L/70 over the 88mm. The 3002DB is a good sniper, and the 75mm is better suited to the sort of fighting the 3002 is good at than the 88mm.
Why not go Panther? The Panther is one of the best tanks I've ever had the pleasure of driving.
Maybe he's sick of having to hammer the point of how obese the panther is on the forums :D I never did pull my winrate in the Panther past 47% but it's a fun tank in the end, with that gun that penetrates everything. I'd get the PII, but I'm already grinding a KT and an M26 and I don't feel yet like getting another T8.

I thought the VK3002 was more of a brawler than a sniper? At least compared to the Panther. In any case, I've survived many hairy close in fights thanks to the bouncy hull. It's like the inverse of the T20 in that sense.
but I had a run of bad matches before I called it a night, I must say the gun depression is horrid, even by German tank standards :\

In other tank news, somehow the stars aligned and I managed to top gun in both my M26 AND my King Tiger in consecutive matches :D It was awesome, my KT dealt the finishing blows to 5 other T7/8 heavies in city fighting, took out a TD covering the tigerP capping my base, then killed the tigerP.

I can't quite remember how the M26 match went, that was more of a because I went on a flank arty slaughter rampage.
I do know how to spell
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I meant it in the context of how Simon hates the VK3002DB to the point of considering to use precious Free XP to buy the Panther outright. If you can't stand the VK3002DB, you really shouldn't go down the Panther line at all because it locks you further into the snipe mode the 3002DB excels in (hence why people go 75mm L70 with it).

In more general terms, the German medium line is inferior to many other lines; especially if you plan to go Tier 10 for clan play. It's not bad that people can't enjoy it, but I generally don't hear people wanting to include E-50Ms in Clan play.

Also, yes, the forum is full of idiots who cannot understand the simple concept that a 45 ton tank requires more engine power and more material strength than a 30 ton tank, which is why the Panther has a catastrophic reliability rate (virtually guaranteed to breakdown at the 150km mark), and a lighter design ala the 3002DB made more sense.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zinegata wrote:I meant it in the context of how Simon hates the VK3002DB to the point of considering to use precious Free XP to buy the Panther outright. If you can't stand the VK3002DB, you really shouldn't go down the Panther line at all because it locks you further into the snipe mode the 3002DB excels in (hence why people go 75mm L70 with it).
I don't hate it, I've never driven it. My concerns are strategic- if I take the Panther I have to retrain my German medium crew twice, instead of once. That means more time spent getting them back up to 100% skill, or spending at least five bucks' worth of gold. And grinding the 3002 won't earn me any new modules that make the Panther experience better.

I have nothing at all against it as a tank. I'd probably enjoy driving it as much as anything else I have except my ELC and Matilda. It's just that I view the double-retrain as an inconvenience. That would be partly offset if, say, I could unlock a better engine or gun for the Panther by grinding the 3002. But the guns and engines for the Panther are already available from the 3601 (my current German medium). And the 3002's other parts are all unique, so I don't get a long-term benefit from researching them (except a really badass 3002).

Since I have plenty of tanks to drive, far more than I can even get doubles on these days in my very limited free time, I'm putting advancement on the German medium line on hold, and slowly accumulating enough free XP to jump straight to the Panther- I'm not going to be moving up any lines any time soon, so it's not much of a loss for me.

Also, I am not in a clan and doubt I will be in the foreseeable future. If I am, it's more likely that I'll be driving an American medium or Soviet heavy, though I do not excel in either of those vehicles. Artillery is also at least possible.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Going completely mad and continuing my attempts to learn to drive things that aren't Ye Lumbering Behemoth of Yore, I picked up the Leopard again. Still the most adorable tank in the game and one that I am having a battle of wits with. Had a nice match on himmelsdorf where I managed to get behind and destroy the enemy arty and spot half their team. Which made up for the two previous matches.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm in the middle of blitzing the Russian Heavy Lline. I am determined to get that half-price KV-1 this weekend darn it! Thankfully I've already hit Tier 3 in that line, and the T-28 (T4) only takes 13,000 to get to the KV-1.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

T-28 with the 57mm gun is delightful; it can penetrate most things it encounters, fires very fast, and has excellent accuracy. The only drawback is that it's placed on a big, fragile target.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I had a few great games platooning Vejut (I don't recall his SDN name), got a Top Gun in my T1 heavy which was absolutely fantastic. I then got killed quickly in my ELC but saw Vejut get a kill streak of 4 in his that was quite epic. Had a great match of coordinated arty, team lost but it was the best I've done in Hummel in ages.

It reminded me of how fun this game can be.
Image[
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...I have a new pet peeve...SU-26's. They keep killing my poor T-46... :(
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:...I have a new pet peeve...SU-26's. They keep killing my poor T-46... :(
Get a BT-7 and show them what for. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician