World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Nephtys »

Actually, there is a small modifier for damaging a tank higher tier than yours. But the vast majority of XP is from damage dealt.
Credits are independent of tier though.

These mechanics are obscure, and a few of the wikis are sadly out of date on them.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

There's also an overall team bonus based on the total amount of damage dealt by your whole team, which I believe is only applied to the winning team.

Also, higher tier tanks have more HP, so there is more potential XP (and credits) in damaging them.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

So premium tanks, has anyone used the Ram II?

Are any of them worth actual money?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm not sure as I'd pay the crazy prices they offer some of the premiums for, even if I really really wanted a credit farming tank.

That's generally the advantage of them, they're rarely straight up better than equivalent tier vehicles, offering sidegrades if anything, they just get a bonus to credits and XP recieved.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Aaron MkII wrote:So premium tanks, has anyone used the Ram II?

Are any of them worth actual money?
I've had lots of fun with the T-25 and Super Pershing. I've never tried the Ram II but I've tried hte T14 and it sucked royally. I guess don't get a Lowe unless you are burdened with too much real money as it's priced absurdly high ;)

I think insofar as premium tanks are concerned

1) Get a tank that is the same country and class as your favored or planned favored line, so you don't need to give them crews, just use your main tank crews as premium tanks don't give penalties if the crew are the same class, and reduced penalty if not. Must be same nation though. If you get a tank from a totally different line than what you're primarily pursuing I think it's a bit of a minus point.

2) They really do make money much faster, especially the Tier 8's. If saving time on grinding for cash is a concern for you, than I feel it's well worth the investment. At least, it's better then directly converting gold to credits! Also not worth it if you are actually still at T7 or below because it's easy to afford stuff at that level and not lose money from bad matches. If you are running T8's and above then perhaps it is a very valid concern, as it can take ages to make up enough money just to get a new tank..
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Well I'm at Tier III, so...yeah.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Oh come on..... Is it that difficult to work together? I went and scouted the enemy tanks, lured them into your path, while they're focused on trying to hit me, SMASH THEM IN THE FLANK.I'm not even asking you to move about.

Yet, I have had a KV tank just continue lumbering away from the PERFECT ambush point.

I had a tank destroyer who blithely just didn't work together, until the opponent got his own reinforcements come to the crossroads.

Damn it, I'm taking HP hits just to do scouting duties and bait here........

I think I finally learnt how to play a scout, what I need to learn now is how to SHOOT when playing as a light.

Its odd enough, since in my Medium M2 tank, I'm more of a scout than anything, even with that big ass howitzer gun:D Other than inching close enough to the enemy to detect them and then running away, I have no idea how to play the medium tank line.........
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
rapidsquirrel
Youngling

Post by rapidsquirrel »

The Ram II is fun in my opinion. It's pretty much the same as the sherman, just with a less powerful yet faster gun. It's great for hunting down lights but weaker against other medium and heavies due to the low damage, though it can hurt them given that it has decent penetration. It makes a rather good arty guard or flanker.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The Tiger is a nightmare...stock it might as well be a bigger 3601...same gun and everything. I'm suddenly very glad I kept my 3601 for moneymaking...considering the Tiger is losing me creds right now...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:The Tiger is a nightmare...stock it might as well be a bigger 3601...same gun and everything. I'm suddenly very glad I kept my 3601 for moneymaking...considering the Tiger is losing me creds right now...
The Tiger is rough till you get the Long 88. At that point it becomes amazing. It can't brawl like the 3601 can, but it's excellent as a second line sniper.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Aaron MkII wrote:Well I'm at Tier III, so...yeah.
As has been said, it's really not worth it for you just now.

At the low tiers, you are far more limited by exp than by credits. You'll quite often have enough cash on hand to buy the next upgrade or tank that you want, but you can't because you have to grind the exp first. The only way to get that experience is by playing that particular tank (barring free exp).

Yes, the premiums are awesome at grinding both exp and cash, but to make use of that exp that you're grinding, you have to convert the exp into free exp and that costs gold.

Right now, it's a far better use for your time to grind the tanks in the tech tree you plan to go down than buying a premium and only accomplishing grinding cash that you don't really need yet.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Wong wrote:I hate to rain on your parade, but the KV-5 is well-known to have an incredibly weak gun for tier-8. It's a premium tank, and because premium tanks aren't earned, they always handicap them in some way. In the case of the American T34, it has a huge gun but its armour is soft. In the case of the KV-5, its armour is indomitable (apart from the R2D2), but its gun is pitiful for its tier. It's got the exact same gun as the T-150 and KV-2: the 107mm with 167mm penetration and 300hp damage. In other words, it's a tier-8 tank with a tier-6 gun.
The 107mm is pretty darn good for Tier VI; It was rated as Tier VII back in the day and I'm pretty sure it still is. 167mm penetration will crack most Tier VII vehicles at favorable angles, with obvious exceptions like the T29 turret front.

On the other hand, lots of tanks have a top gun one tier higher than the tank itself. The IS3 and King Tiger do... but the KV5 has a gun one tier lower than the tank, which is unusual except with low tier French vehicles.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The best gun on the Pz38 is also a tier lower.

And the pain with the Tiger is how LONG its going to take to get the long-88. I have to get 9k XP just to get the short 88...then another 11 for the 'new' turret...then a further 9-plus to get the long 88. This is going to sting so much...

EDIT: Thankfully I have Operation Flashpoint to vent frustrations. Good tankers in that game are the death of everything else excluding helicopters. :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

How did you get to the Tiger without researching the short 88 for another tank?

(Let me guess, you used the long 75mm for all your needs)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yep, I never saw a need for the short 88. Its coming back to bite me in the butt...but meh. I can deal with it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Now that I think about it though, with how painful the Tiger is...I may just go back to grinding my 3601 (since I didn't sell it and its 100 percent crew that I've had since my PzIII) and get the short 88 from it. That way I neatly sidestep having to do the grind in the Tiger.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes.

It's generally more rewarding to do the grind for a component in a lower-tier tank if you can. The lower tier tanks net higher credit profits, get easier matchmaking, and you have the subjective experience of doing all that fighting in an upgraded vehicle, instead of a stock vehicle.

Plus, the short 88 is a good gun, although the VK3601 can perform well either way. It's that or the long 75, and the choice is mostly a question of whether you want high alpha strike damage and good accuracy, or high rate of fire and excellent accuracy.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Got in my first match with tier V's today, my poor little Stuart didn't last long. Going to be doing lots of watching and not much shooting I think.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I prefer the L/70 since I like to be able to snipe when possible. Its a good brawler, but its an EXCELLENT sniper with the L/70. Which is why I used it. :P

And with the 100 percent crew it really is a monster.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's also a monster with the short 88; if you're going to take the German heavies, I suspect you'd do well to learn to fight either way. German tanks are designed for sniping, but don't always get to do that, so being flexible and having the skills for both is good.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Aaron MkII wrote:Got in my first match with tier V's today, my poor little Stuart didn't last long. Going to be doing lots of watching and not much shooting I think.
The jump in capability between Tier 3 and 5 is pretty big, worse than other tier disparities IMHO because of how easily Tier 5s can One-Hit-Kill Tier 3s.

In such a match a Stuart is better off scouting (and not dying), and then doing arty park raids once about half the tanks are down on both sides (by this point it's easy to find a hole in the enemy line to exploit).

====

Regarding the VK3601's gun...

I always used the short 88, but you're not really losing much by taking the long 75mm instead. The 88 gives more alpha, but the 75mm feels more accurate somehow (probably because the 88s have weird shell lag).
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Can someone teach me how to use the M2 Medium Tank? I grinded up to the 75mm howitzer, upgraded everything except for the top tier radio..... and I'm finding the lack of firepower/speed/armour to be irritating.....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Aaron MkII wrote:Got in my first match with tier V's today, my poor little Stuart didn't last long. Going to be doing lots of watching and not much shooting I think.
Yeah, Stuart can be fun, because you make a solid medium in teir III matches, and can actually bounce some stuff, and in tier V, you're still mobile enough to actually make a pretty good scout. I generally use it in the "never stop moving, but don't get too close" school, but I also blow up alot and none of my scouty tanks really have a great win rate, so may not be the best example. Just remember seeing the enemy doesn't really help that much if you've got nobody else around to shoot them for you.
PainRack wrote:Can someone teach me how to use the M2 Medium Tank? I grinded up to the 75mm howitzer, upgraded everything except for the top tier radio..... and I'm finding the lack of firepower/speed/armour to be irritating.....
Dunno, I recall that one being not so good as well, I mostly platooned my way through with a pair of freinds and then got the rest of the way to the Lee with free XP off my higher tier stuff, though they seemed to get it okay.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PainRack wrote:Can someone teach me how to use the M2 Medium Tank? I grinded up to the 75mm howitzer, upgraded everything except for the top tier radio..... and I'm finding the lack of firepower/speed/armour to be irritating.....
You can fight pretty effectively from a hull down position, because that open top turret is quite stumpy and you get good depression. So look for things to lurk behind that you can shoot over.

You can improve your mobility and acceleration by training up your driver.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The M2 is really all about the gun. Focus on staying just behind the frontline and pick off enemies. Despite its classification as a medium it's really more of a TD (that can't hide very well) with a turret than anything.