World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

PeZook wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote: And its deceptively easy to fall to your death now...especially in a T-50 or ELC...their so fast that if you forget about the new physics...well, you'll quickly find out tanks can't fly. :P
But of course they can!

Once

Maxim 11: Everything is air-droppable, at least once.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Maxim 11: Everything is air-droppable, at least once.
Yeah well I am not digging how vehicles are dropping from the top of the hill in Himmelsdorf and are somehow surviving.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Are they catching air? I know my first time out with the real server and new physics, I took my hellcat over the edge of the cliffs by the town on Halluf by accident, and blew the treads out. Didn't die, because I saw it coming just too late, and was applying back throttle, keeping me sliding sideways down along against the cliff, and staying lower speed. Might be related to how they're doing it, especially if its an accidental sniper-ridge poke induced fall.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Anyone has experience with the German T-25 premium tank? Looks like fun on paper
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

wautd wrote:Anyone has experience with the German T-25 premium tank? Looks like fun on paper
I have fun with it. It's fast in a straight line (can't turn worth a damn), a decent rapid fire gun with nice gun depression (on par with american tanks), and a fair HP pool for its tier.

My Tiger II still plays well at 8.0. I guess I'll just stop reading the forums, hurts the brain.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have a serious problem believing all the bitching about German tanks when I read the pre-match lineup in my Easy 8, see a PZIV and go "Hmm, yeah, that guy's gonna be a problem"
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Vejut wrote:Are they catching air? I know my first time out with the real server and new physics, I took my hellcat over the edge of the cliffs by the town on Halluf by accident, and blew the treads out. Didn't die, because I saw it coming just too late, and was applying back throttle, keeping me sliding sideways down along against the cliff, and staying lower speed. Might be related to how they're doing it, especially if its an accidental sniper-ridge poke induced fall.
Not sure. It seems like a near-vertical drop below the opening in the wall there, so they aren't exactly rolling down a slope. I never paid close attention to it before. I do know you can suffer tread damage by going over the edge of a sharp drop-off and landing on even some sloping ground below, but the drop from the top of the hill sure seems like it should kill the crew. I didn't get a clear look when it happened. There were buildings between me and them blocking the view at the bottom but they sure seemed to drop fast enough to splat. Who knows.

I wish there were a way to test the maps solo so I could try out the dangers of the new physics without messing up my survival rate. All in all, it's great though. The fact that you can slip over an edge means there are a lot more potential escape routes in the various maps in case things get bad. I still haven't been able to push anyone over an edge into water or off a bridge, though someone did kill himself rushing at me and ending up in some water in the Fjord map when I dodged aside.

Light tanks also to be careful and be aware that they can be shoved aside a lot more easily by the heavier vehicles now, too.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Heh, I've seen an A-20 get his own length in airtime charging along one of the bridges over the railway on Port.

Shot him in mid air as well.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't get the complaining either. I LOVE the new PzIV. After all...it can't pen my VK very well anymore :twisted:

( :P )
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Vendetta wrote:Which server are you on, cause I get occasional teams of tards, but I just as often end up on the dominating side. Win rate is 53% now.
US Server.

And it's just fucking hilarious. I don't mind losing, if I lose well. But 90% of the time my team just fucking melts the second it sees an enemy tank. Or hide behind a single fucking rock because the big scary enemy might hurt them.

Case in point: Westfield in my Sherman. I'm pootling along the train tracks in the west, got a couple of kills, blunt their scouting and eventually get tracked and caught by their heavies. Fair enough. I got 3 kills, and we know where their heavies are. Look at the killboard. We're losing 11-4. Literally the only people surviving on my team are the guys behind me. In the opening 3-4 minutes, the others had met the enemy and, at the cost of 10 of their lives, took out one of them.

And this happens over and over again. It's now at the degree I'm in a negative feedback loop, because I end up quitting in disgust, so I never actually win. Not that it matters, over the last 5x XP weekend, I wasn't on a single winning team, which was fucking awesome.

Anyhow, I think I'm going to have to save for the E-50. I did like the Ausf M on test and the sooner I can get it the better. Tempted to sell the E-75 to get halfway there money-wise.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I've successfully drowned a TD. My M103 lost 950 hitpoints from being hit by a mostly fresh T110E3, so I charged and shoved it back down a slope into a lake, then shot the jerk in the treads. Drowned before it could reload.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I almost drowned my ELC after taking it for a short flight off a cliff :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

End of the last game on Arctic there was a type 59 managed to fall in one of the holes and position himself so he didn't drown.

When he was the last one left I persuaded a Tiger to Mario him.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The new physics are beyond awesome fun. Especially in my two favorite tanks, the EZ8 and M7. Much, much more insanity in the M7. Last match in it was a draw, but an epic one. I'm the last one alive on my team, and I'm at 3% health, but have successfully landed four kills. Enemy team has two heavies, a Tiger and a KV1. KV has 2% health left, I spot him as I'm roaring down a road and pop him in the back of the turret with my last HE shell for the kill. I don't have enough ammo to kill the Tiger since he's at near full health, so I shoot him in the tracks (AP) managing to take it out. Then I whip around a corner, dash up a short hill, flip a U-turn, roar up to full throttle and ramp off a cliff, landing ass first on the roof of the Tiger's turret. We both die for the draw and everyone still watching busts out laughing.

The E8 is even more terrifying, as it's got the speed and traction to get to some very strange places, and enough firepower to put hurt on most anything it can face. What were once well known and well covered lanes of advance have suddenly opened up, as fast tanks can now strike from dammed near any direction. It's amazing.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Man, that is just hilarious right there. Makes me wish I still had my fast tanks (sadly all I have is the ELC, which lacks the traction for the really awesome spots, and my VK which isn't fast enough, though it has the traction). I want to climb formerly impassable hills like the trailer showed darn it! :P
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

So I'm at the spawn of Erlenberg and one of our strongerteammates drives himself stuck on the bridge. Immediately I see 2 teammates racing back to help push him in the water. Some people just want to see the world burn :lol:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

RAAAAGE.

I'm getting really sick of being one-shotted of late.

However, if someone could just make a game-type that's tank racing, I'm there.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

That is why there are training rooms.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Man, that is just hilarious right there. Makes me wish I still had my fast tanks (sadly all I have is the ELC, which lacks the traction for the really awesome spots, and my VK which isn't fast enough, though it has the traction). I want to climb formerly impassable hills like the trailer showed darn it! :P
It's really opened up. For example, the southern starting position on Sand River is now completely unsecureable. Why? Directly north of it is a set of cliffs that were impossible to get on top of before 8.0. Now though, it's a hunting ground for Hellcats, Sluggers and Wolverines. They can dash up top of it and end up hull down and overlooking the whole start point, with very few places to hide from them. Found that out the hard way with my T29. One moment I'm drawing a bead on a Tiger II, the next I'm getting lit up. I got one shot off that missed (hit the cliff) before I died.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

On Malinkova I did an awesome powerslide in my ELC along the banks of the river into cover to avoid enemy fire.

The fucking Inspector Tequila of tanks.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The ELC is an awesome tank. I am so glad I got my 12t before the ELC came in...it netted me a free elite ELC with a one-hundred percent crew. :P
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

How interesting. It might actually be worth having the 5cm gun on the Marder II as opposed to the 7.5cm. It allowed me to spam enough AT shells down that I successfully destroyed a T-18 in a face on duel, even though he shot first.

I just earned my first Top Gun in a Marder II... sending lots of fire support downrange on the railway to hit the enemy TD and arty:D The best was when capping the enemy base where I literally blasted away anything that came out of cover.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PainRack wrote:How interesting. It might actually be worth having the 5cm gun on the Marder II as opposed to the 7.5cm. It allowed me to spam enough AT shells down that I successfully destroyed a T-18 in a face on duel, even though he shot first.
OTOH, the best gun on the Marder allows you to reliably penetrate everything you'll ever meet, and has damn good damage. With the 7.6 PaK 36 you'd have a 50/50 chance of one shotting that T18.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, Type 59s can fuck off.

Fuck all the way off.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I like my Type 59. Ni hao! :P

I gave my BT-2 an inscription, and now I want it gone. It there a way of taking the inscription away? Not change it, but remove it completely?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting