World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by weemadando »

Tonight sucked for me.

BOOM *ping* BOOM *ping* BOOM *ping* mutter mutter BOOM *ping* /gets assploded by enemy.

Or alternately, load up the JgPzIV 88 w/HE and fire it into the flank of a T-20 for five (5) damage. And then get assploded.

Fucking game.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have 75k XP locked in all my elite tanks. It adds up, especially if a tank is fun.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I know...how do you think I have so much for my ELC? :wink:
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Do you guys not accelerate crew training? Why build up so much xp...

Anyway, I'm saving up on the 3002db in hopes of easy leopard when and if
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I keep forgetting to do it really. And the only tanks its good for are my ELC and Stuart. The VK still needs some more grinding until I can get the 3002db, since like you I want the Leo whenever it comes in (T10 or no T10)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Heh.

So, camo... Worth it? I only put them on my TDs. I figure there's no point camo on a tiger 2 or m26 since they'll always be up front. True or false?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Medium and fast heavy wolfpack replay. You can briefly see me throughout this, I was the fast heavy. Not a personal best, but this is how speed usually wins the day. Exactly 5min 0s of gameplay until we win. And yeah I went lazy at the end, then again I had the least % health at the end of the battle since I played TD bait early in the match.
I saw that and it was awesome! That's how mediums should be driven, not camping behind the heavies. The true meaning of a wolf pack. It reminds me of a time where I was in a platoon with 3 Type 59. We surprised a Löwe all by himself. The poor bastard didn't stand a chance. We circled him and there was always two of us behind him while the last one tried to get his attention. Never seen a lion die that fast before. :)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

AniThyng wrote:Heh.

So, camo... Worth it? I only put them on my TDs. I figure there's no point camo on a tiger 2 or m26 since they'll always be up front. True or false?

Probably not, to be honest. 5% to base camo doesn't actually amount to a hill of beans. Maybe 30m off your maximum spot distance, but you're still pretty big and obvious. Especially if you're all getting up in people's faces.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:
AniThyng wrote:Heh.

Probably not, to be honest. 5% to base camo doesn't actually amount to a hill of beans. Maybe 30m off your maximum spot distance, but you're still pretty big and obvious. Especially if you're all getting up in people's faces.
But it looks good. I have camo on some of my tanks because of the look, but I guess I'm not gonna have as much camo as I used prior to .8 because of the price.. If you want propper camo, use a camonet, but that's pretty useless on a TigerII anyway.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I camo my tanks if they have pleased me.

T29! You have done well! I doth bestow upon thee some paint and maybe a name!

Camo exists to make your tank stand out (in one sense), as opposed to actually being useful.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Because the ELC has such a tiny crew, "crew retraining" to its XP stacks up really fast; the crew advances 150% faster than normal instead of the 120% you'd normally get with a five-man crew.

I recommend it; it's the main reason my ELC crew is near to 100% camo.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Its official... I LOVE THE T18!! Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker, and a Top-gun with 7 kills! Only my second TG ever!

And that was after my team fell apart leaving just me and a T2 MT left to defend our base.

I killed:

A Luchs
An M2 LT
Another T18
A BS
Tetrarch
A Pz38t
and a PzII.

Good times...and I wish I had record on...
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vanas wrote:I camo my tanks if they have pleased me.

T29! You have done well! I doth bestow upon thee some paint and maybe a name!

Camo exists to make your tank stand out (in one sense), as opposed to actually being useful.
Yeah used to be I camo-ed my elite tanks as a mark of eliteness :D

I like the names, too bad it can't be customized.

I named my Tiger II "Brunhild" (I would have happily named it "Valkryie", but that isn't an option :( ) ,my StuG "Jager" and the M26 "Warlock".

I don't know why, but 8.0 has been kind to my Tiger II. I've had some defeats, but they were all with at least 500 xp gained, and when I win, it's awesome. Just the other day me and a Type 59 pushed over the bottom crossing in prokhorovka (he went over first to draw their fire while I crested the hill), took out the two T29's guarding it, then charged the town while the rest of surviving team cowering behind the other crossings miraculously found the balls to charge over as well to support us, and we actually won. I got confederate out of it because I just shot and shot and shot.
I do know how to spell
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

:idea: Hey, it seems like it is 50% discount on gold ammo now, at least on the EU server. Don't know about the others.
Go to the shop and pile up, if you feel like it and can afford it. These discounts don't come too often.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They come up more often than I shoot enough gold ammo to need them, that's for sure... ;)
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

AniThyng wrote:
Vanas wrote:I camo my tanks if they have pleased me.
Yeah used to be I camo-ed my elite tanks as a mark of eliteness :D
This used to be me back when I got stupid amounts of gold for very little actual work.

I'd get a tier ten, and I'd buy it a camo so it'd be all pretty when I went to clan wars.

I am not buying three camos for each of my ten clan wars tanks though. That isn't happening. Now I'm pretty much just using gold for shells and playing dragon till warplanes and warships.

I just can't wait till warplanes comes out so I can do my credit grinding in that. I'm gonna make stupid bank. Until then I'm sick of my Type 59, my T34 sucks and makes me cry, and I'm five million credits short of buying my freshly unlocked T-62A.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

xthetenth wrote:I just can't wait till warplanes comes out so I can do my credit grinding in that. I'm gonna make stupid bank. Until then I'm sick of my Type 59, my T34 sucks and makes me cry, and I'm five million credits short of buying my freshly unlocked T-62A.
Eh? What's wrong with the T34? I usually get 50K out of it per match (not yet counting expenses).
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I just had a game wherein I vastly overperformed relative to my usual. I was in my Ram-II (Go Canada! Canada Allons-y!) and I managed to kill a Czech tank, then got past a KV and a T-34 and chased down a M2 MT, turned around and shot the KV from the rear 8 times to kill it, and then killed the T-34 that was looking at me before he could finish me off, down to my last 80hp I helped cap the flat when the enemy was trying to cap ours, we managed to edge out a draw then, I had 4 kills, next highest my team had 1.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Blayne wrote:I just had a game wherein I vastly overperformed relative to my usual. I was in my Ram-II (Go Canada! Canada Allons-y!) and I managed to kill a Czech tank, then got past a KV and a T-34 and chased down a M2 MT, turned around and shot the KV from the rear 8 times to kill it, and then killed the T-34 that was looking at me before he could finish me off, down to my last 80hp I helped cap the flat when the enemy was trying to cap ours, we managed to edge out a draw then, I had 4 kills, next highest my team had 1.
Congrats!:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

People who say "There shouldn't be arty in the game" need to fuck off and die.

Or you know, just move between shots. Or just move.

Idiots.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It would be kind of nice if you could fight effectively in the game by playing more or less real tank tactics from the period- having to move between each shot kind of wasn't expected, because artillery couldn't track in on a parked tank within thirty seconds of its being spotted by forward observers. A lot of hull-down and covered firing positions in the game are less valuable than they should be because of this, while tactics like peeking around a corner are given exaggerated effect.

On the other hand, in a lot of terrain this would make the game very defense-oriented, as only artillery really has the firepower to break the deadlocks in certain maps. So I guess you're right, though I understand why an intelligent person might get annoyed at the way artillery is represented in-game.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

At the same time, artillery in this game has a range of ~600-800m, with is about a tenth (if that) of it's actually abilities at the time.

It's a game, there's always going to be balance, but I think that arty serves a valuable purpose - and that heavy tanks would become disproportionately powerful if it were removed.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

SuperPershings are fucking hax. Or maybe it was just that one guy, but I dropped five rounds from my M12 onto one for a total of zero damage. Fucking irritating.

On another note, some maroon in a 6 ton ELC tried to ram my 108 ton KV-4. Drove full speed right under my left track, crunch. Fucking amusing.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I've managed to do that to an arty in my AMX-12t. Charged in to get close and didn't quite stop in time.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Man, last night I just couldn't win a match with my T-49, despite making 3 to 4 kills per match on average.