World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Jub »

Being slow isn't much fun, but their guns are fast and have decent pen so you'll be able to rain fire on people as you crawl slowly towards them. I do get the feeling that they're going to take patience to get past though.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

So what are the differences with the Churchil from the Uk tree, and the premium soviet one? Does the premium one get better matchmaking or are their stock equipment different?
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

If I'm recalling right, for one thing, the tier V UK version has less armor (it doesn't get the 152mm MG block), but gets a gun with fire rate comparable to, but penetration better than, the M1A1 as its top gun. Tier VI Churchill VII gets a similar armor layout as the current premium one. Can't recall on the guns, not currently near my comp with the test server client on it.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

xthetenth wrote:The HESH rounds are very interesting because they're actually more skill dependent than normal shells rather than regular gold shells being something to help out folks who don't know weaknesses and basically easy mode for the gun to some degree. 212 pen that gets ruined by tracks and skirts and spaced armor is very gunnery dependent and very interesting. What they do to batchats and other frenchies borders on the scatological, but other than that they aren't an end all be all thing to run instead of normal AP like gold usually is, instead it's an interesting extra choice and something that requires active thought. I wonder how the balance effects will be though.
Wait, Augur rounds are finally in the game? YAY!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Vejut wrote:If I'm recalling right, for one thing, the tier V UK version has less armor (it doesn't get the 152mm MG block), but gets a gun with fire rate comparable to, but penetration better than, the M1A1 as its top gun. Tier VI Churchill VII gets a similar armor layout as the current premium one. Can't recall on the guns, not currently near my comp with the test server client on it.
The Churchill I has 89 frontal armour, and upgrades to the USSR Churchill III's turret. As well as the ever-popular 6pdr, the upgraded turret allows it to carry the HV 75mm cannon, which is on a par with the 75 L/70. Marginally less accurate, marginally less pen, but with the traditional UK fire rate advantage.

It's also got 24 less horsepower than the Churchill III, and a lower top speed. Fully upgraded though, it tops out at 720HP, meaning it's closing in on T6 levels of health.

All in all, it's a pretty fun tank. The Heavy Churchill that follows it has the same engine, cripplingly low accelleration but a fairly monstrous 152 frontal armour at T6.

Basically, the Churchills exist not to play peekaboo (and with those tread assemblies, best not to), but to grind ponderously towards the enemy abusing their accuracy on the move to pummel things down.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, the 3002DB is proving surprisingly fun. But I'm a bit out of practice with the speedy mediums since the last one I had was the III/IV, which doesn't play the same way...does anyone who's played the DB have any advice?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, the 3002DB is proving surprisingly fun. But I'm a bit out of practice with the speedy mediums since the last one I had was the III/IV, which doesn't play the same way...does anyone who's played the DB have any advice?
I played it as a combination sniper/flanker using the pre-buff L/70. You face up to tier 9s regularly, and while you won't pen them from the front you can reliably pen them from the side, so I tried to hang back a bit from the main push firing at weakspots, and once they were occupied with your bigger tanks rush in and get behind them. Worked well for me, and with the buffed L/70 it should be even better.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So, after a long grind in my Lee, I finally got the T1 HT.

I like it so far, it's a nice, solid tank. Also appealing to the eye, for whatever that's worth. Need to learn the weak spots, and I also find my crew being killed more often.

But so far, a much better playing experience than the Lee ever was.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, the 3002DB is proving surprisingly fun. But I'm a bit out of practice with the speedy mediums since the last one I had was the III/IV, which doesn't play the same way...does anyone who's played the DB have any advice?
I played it as a combination sniper/flanker using the pre-buff L/70. You face up to tier 9s regularly, and while you won't pen them from the front you can reliably pen them from the side, so I tried to hang back a bit from the main push firing at weakspots, and once they were occupied with your bigger tanks rush in and get behind them. Worked well for me, and with the buffed L/70 it should be even better.

The buffed L/70 is awesome. So very awesome. Especially on my StuG. I love the little guy. So much so I can't be bothered to get the JgPzIV :P

The only weakness of the DB I can think off is that the gun depression is worthless, as would be expected from a non-US tank. Your armor is thin but sloped so you can get lucky a couple of times if you get hit.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

God... The M3 Lee is being murdered going up against Panzer III/IV, KV 1, Stug III and etc.... God, even the rapid fire cannon sucks. The Panzer III can fire and move much faster than I can aim and lie down gun fire at it..... once it got its first hit in, it wins a battle of maneveur....

Fire at a Stug, or a Hetzer and I find my shots bouncing off their sloped armour while they fire back at me. I'm so huge so cover is hard, and without a turret, I have no idea how to maneveur my tank in combat. Positioning itself is a pain since the size made reaching cover more difficult than a smaller TD. I can't scout because the tank is slower and doesn't have the turret to suppress the enemy.........

Imperial528, teach me master. Just how did you survive the grind? Just what is this hull left I keep hearing players talk about? I don't understand how to aim with most of the cover on my left.........
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

So, while i was puttering around on the test server yesterday, I saw something wonderful. It's the TOG II*, UK premium tank, being supertested.

To put it in WoT terms: Size of a Maus, weight of a King Tiger, speed of a T95, firepower of a PzIV S, armour of an M6. (Well, a little better). I crave it. It's so gloriously huge and bizzare.

PainRack: What you want to do with the Lee is keep as much of the hull as possible behind a rock and just expose the sponson if possible... I had problems with that too. Best just to think of the damn thing as a HYOOOGE TD as opposed to the medium they claim it is.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Brilliant - I've been wanting that for a long time. That and the FCM 2C for maximum oversized hilarity.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The M3 Lee actually isn't that bad, since it's gun is pretty good for it's tier. Fast firing, reasonably damaging, okay enough pen for it's tier. The final 75mm is pretty much required though, as are all the upgrades.

If you're fighting a Hetzer head on, well. You're both reasonably evenly matched. Very similar armor. He's got a better gun, but you have more hitpoints.

A Stug is supposed to be superior to you. In fact, the Stug is considered a very good Tier 5 vehicle in general. But you'll feel a lot better once you get in your M4. It's excellent with the 76mm gun.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PainRack wrote:God... The M3 Lee is being murdered going up against Panzer III/IV, KV 1, Stug III and etc.... God, even the rapid fire cannon sucks. The Panzer III can fire and move much faster than I can aim and lie down gun fire at it..... once it got its first hit in, it wins a battle of maneveur....

Fire at a Stug, or a Hetzer and I find my shots bouncing off their sloped armour while they fire back at me. I'm so huge so cover is hard, and without a turret, I have no idea how to maneveur my tank in combat. Positioning itself is a pain since the size made reaching cover more difficult than a smaller TD. I can't scout because the tank is slower and doesn't have the turret to suppress the enemy.........

Imperial528, teach me master. Just how did you survive the grind? Just what is this hull left I keep hearing players talk about? I don't understand how to aim with most of the cover on my left.........
Okay, the basic rule of cover for the Lee is that your gun is on the right side of your tank, so if you stick the sponson out from behind a corner, it and the tread are all that is exposed, and the sponson itself is quite well armored. DO NOT try to fight anyone who is fighting hull-down from behind a hill, you will lose because they will be able to shoot you the instant you start to crest the hill.

Also, since it is the worst TD in the game (that's a half true joke imo) the worst possible situation you can get in is one where you have to maneuver quickly. The gun, however, is quite good, so long as you aim well. On a good day that thing can cruise around killing tanks left and right, though mostly right.

Some other rules of mediums apply as well, namely don't stop moving unless you have to (like to shoot) and that buildings are your friends. The Lee is an arty magnet since it has weak side armor and is a big target for a medium, and it accelerates slowly, so if you stop moving you are dead.

Oh, and I thank my M37 for letting me survive the grind. Whenever my Lee met its expected untimely death, I switched to that tank immediately and had some fun to make up for the soul sucking of the Lee.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The KV-1S is the most fun I ever had in a stock tank (well, not quite stock, I installed the 122 mini-derp right away). I foresee a long and loving relationship, even though few things can match the hilarity of getting top spot in a KV-1 and doing the OMINOUS TRUNDLE OF DOOM as enemies try and fail miserably to kill you. But alas, it is time for a change.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

PeZook wrote:...even though few things can match the hilarity of getting top spot in a KV-1 and doing the OMINOUS TRUNDLE OF DOOM as enemies try and fail miserably to kill you.
Oh you have SO got that right PeZook. The KV-1 is still my second favorite tank after the 3601, for that reason. Nothing quite like chugging forward as the peons try to run away and you casually swat them down with the 85 (or your other preferred gun). :twisted:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It doesn't happen very often though :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

True, which is why the 3601 is still higher. :P
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I can share the love for the KV-1, it's such an awesome tank, wish I'd gotten it sooner.

My average win/survival rate is 50% and 10% respectivly, but in the KV-1? 63% and 30%, I'm clearly a Heavy driver/
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My average win/survival is 50%/11 (or 12, it fluctuates). Evidently I don't live very well. :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:My average win/survival is 50%/11 (or 12, it fluctuates). Evidently I don't live very well. :P
Survival rate really isn't important, somebody who tends to go down fighting and takes multiple tanks with them most times is going to help his team greatly, leading to a higher win rate but still have a low survival rate.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, that's what normally happens. Especially in my 3601 when I get stuck guarding a flank against half the enemy team (it happens A LOT).

Also, to those not in the game right now...I just figured out you can backwards grind the PzIV from the 3601. So I don't have to play the pain that is the 38nA after all!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Wait, how?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I ran into Darth Wong or his son last night, quite literally. Turns out taking blind shots in one direction and driving in another is a bad idea, and that ramming the rear armor of a Tiger 2 has no effect from a T-34-85. Good news is that the T-34 isn't that badly dammaged, and I did try and support him in the following battle. That just brings up more bad news, T34-85's really can't help a tiger2 that much when surrounded by T8 mediums.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Not sure Esquire. All I know is that in the new system where the XP count is green if you can grind it? The PzIV is green on the 3601 now. Hey, I'm not going to complain. :P