World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

OmegaChief wrote:I sometimes feel that the Jumbo Sherman does not get a lot of love, especially when compared with the Easy 8, which is a shame, because when used right it lets you get matches like this.

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg 20 October 2012 15:05:45
Vehicle: M4A3E2
Experience received: 4,158 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 27,339
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Sniper, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

That's 1,386xp if you take away the bonus there, though detailed reports have the annoying habit of showing you "Well if you were Premium you could earn even more!".

Highlights of the battle included a VK3601H who could not land a penetrating hit on me to save his life, and a final showdown in the middle of the base (It was Encounter at Ruinberg) between me and a Tiger, and we'd both managed to track each other with clean shots into vulnerable positions, my gun reloaded faster though.

All in all a good match.

I love my Jumbo, its a beast. I had a match where I sent an M6 and a PZ4 running, got into a slugging match with a VK3002DB who seemed shocked that he couldn't penetrate, then shot up an ARL44. I think people occasionlly mistake it for an Easy 8, then wonder why they can't pen.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I did that a lot, until I discovered the magic of "hold alt to show tank type" :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've been grinding the Merican TD tree...and My God the T49 is fun, even without its top gun. A tiny little murder machine it is... :D
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have tank type as one of the things shown by default, so not a problem for me.

I fixed my laptop's power jack... but I'm pretty sure I broke the DVD player (never use it anyway), and now the keyboard doesn't work. Back to the drawing board!

(Yes, I'm pretty sure what I did wrong, I'm just not going to fix it tonight)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Since the KV-1 (and 1S) are on sale, I've re-bought the former. And I'm falling back in love with the KV-1. Especially when me and Imp platoon. His M37 and my KV are a death team...we won two matches in a row, and did fairly well on the one we did lose. :D
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Why is the M103 awesome? 6,000 damage in one match, that's why :).
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Whoa...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Whoa...
I actually hit eight different tanks and scored 23 hits in total (Only 2 kills but got the Confederate medal), which would have done something like 9,000+ damage if everything penned.

Alas, the E-75 is one tough cookie.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Before I forget...how good is the M18? I'm almost to it, and I'm curious.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Before I forget...how good is the M18? I'm almost to it, and I'm curious.
Very good. High speed and 90mm gun are a great combo.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Don't you just hate it when you kill 7 tanks and maul 2 more and ythe team still loses. Still, goes too show how much if a nasty the 3051 is
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I have come to the conclusion that the M6 is the OD green fist of god. What it can't maul with it's 90mm, it can smash with it's front end.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Zinegata wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Before I forget...how good is the M18? I'm almost to it, and I'm curious.
Very good. High speed and 90mm gun are a great combo.
And superb stealth. And a turret (handy for tank destroyers). You can either use it as a sniper (the 90mm can hurt pretty much anything it's pitted against) or drive around to scout/give support when it's needed. The only weakness it armor (or the lack thereoff). I don't think I'll sell it because it's just a fun tank to use.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

AniThyng wrote:Don't you just hate it when you kill 7 tanks and maul 2 more and ythe team still loses. Still, goes too show how much if a nasty the 3051 is
Yesterday me and another KV-1S brilliantly outflanked the enemy center in Cliffs and destroyed their entire force there, opening up the enemy base and the rear of the enemy left.

At which point the second KV-1S proceeded to drive out and stand around in full view of a Su-85 defending the enemy base, trading shots with a TD in a far superior position (thus getting himself killed), while the rest of the team WITHDREW and went on to trade shots with enemy heavies on the other flank, and we lost the game when the arty-supported heavies won.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I could swear that most players in the game don't understand just how dangerous and powerful a flanking position is. I constantly see people die easily because they panic when one tank gets behind their group, and then in the same match those that had just survived being successfully flanked pass up perfect opportunities to do it to the other team.

It's kind of sad, really.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Imperial528 wrote:I could swear that most players in the game don't understand just how dangerous and powerful a flanking position is. I constantly see people die easily because they panic when one tank gets behind their group, and then in the same match those that had just survived being successfully flanked pass up perfect opportunities to do it to the other team.

It's kind of sad, really.
My 6000-damage game in the M103 had me flanking two groups of enemies: First a T34/T25/Lorraine team that got smashed to bits, followed by me flanking and shooting with impunity an ST-1 and E-75.

But this is a game where most players still think that buying a Tiger gives the a license to point and click their way to victory, and failing to understand that sound tactical judgment is more important.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

So after reading through a significant portion of this thread I have now decided to download and play this game... Can someone please explain to me exactly what have I just done to myself?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

You've killed your free time. Or at least a good portion of it.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Imperial528 wrote:You've killed your free time. Or at least a good portion of it.
Well I had to find something else to do while going through eve online withdrawals.... *curls up in a corner* SO MANY MISSILES...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

If you're going through an online game withdrawal, it's probably a bad decision to get into WoT :P

It's a very different game from EVE, though. Much less persistent (ie. there isn't any persistent, overarching game map, just a series of individual matches). Every bit as grindy, though.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Don't get trapped in the idea, as so many do, that getting higher tier vehicles will make you perform better. It won't.

Don't start seeing grinding to the next tank as the point of your current one, you're playing a 15v15 team deathmatch, always try and do the best you can in the game you're in now, and let the progression of vehicles take care of itself.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah...higher tiers will simply match you with even more powerful tanks, so the overall experience only changes based on the qualities of your new tank. Getting a tier higher can even be LESS fun than a tier lower, with the most notorious example being transferring from the BT-7 (Tier III, lotsa fun) to the A-20 (Tier IV, pure pain) in the Russkie medium tree.

On another note, I have recently managed to finally grind out the T-34...and, quite frankly, American mediums leave it in the dust. Theoretically the Russkie Surprise has a better gun and better armor layout than the Sherman, but the Sherman just fights so much better thanks to its turret traverse, gun depression and overall zippiness.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Actually, I would argue the worst Tier 3 to Tier 4 transfer is the Pz38t to the 38nA. At least the A-20 is marginally useful after all. :P
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

gigabytelord wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:You've killed your free time. Or at least a good portion of it.
Well I had to find something else to do while going through eve online withdrawals.... *curls up in a corner* SO MANY MISSILES...
WoWP(World of Warplanes) might be an option too. Getting a Beta key shouldn't be that hard and the game is more skill based than WoT.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Actually, I would argue the worst Tier 3 to Tier 4 transfer is the Pz38t to the 38nA. At least the A-20 is marginally useful after all. :P
Oh, yeah, the 38nA. I saw one get squashed by my team's arty once.

I double backed my E8 upon seeing a scout get through and got there just in time to see the SPG ram the little guy and blow him up.