World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't deny that the Tiger is a good tank Zinegata. Just that the stock Tiger sucks. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Zinegata wrote:The Tiger doesn't actually suck anymore. It's an average Tier 7.

The problem is that too many players think it is an "I win!" tank, when it is really a machine that requires a fair bit of skill and tactical thinking to maximize (*gasp* So maybe the Tiger's success was due to the fact it was driven by top Panzer aces! Who knew crew skill could be so important? /sarcasm).
Well the fact that most of the tanks it faced wouldn't be ranked higher than tier 5 by the game doesn't hurt either. Deriving the "real war" performance of tanks from a game that includes never made miracle tanks, post WW 2 tanks, and game mechanics based on creating a fun game rather than an ultra-precise simulation of reality might be somewhat troublesome. :wink:
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Zinegata wrote:The Tiger doesn't actually suck anymore. It's an average Tier 7.

The problem is that too many players think it is an "I win!" tank, when it is really a machine that requires a fair bit of skill and tactical thinking to maximize (*gasp* So maybe the Tiger's success was due to the fact it was driven by top Panzer aces! Who knew crew skill could be so important? /sarcasm).
Well the fact that most of the tanks it faced wouldn't be ranked higher than tier 5 by the game doesn't hurt either. Deriving the "real war" performance of tanks from a game that includes never made miracle tanks, post WW 2 tanks, and game mechanics based on creating a fun game rather than an ultra-precise simulation of reality might be somewhat troublesome. :wink:
Wait, you mean open top tank destroyers and arty vehicles can't be piloted and fired by invisible people?! :lol:

But seriously I gave a chuckle when I saw a mobile arty firing it's gun without a gunner, reminded me of a commercial I saw once where a car was driving it's self and there was a dog sitting in the passenger seat wearing sun glasses :)
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I don't deny that the Tiger is a good tank Zinegata. Just that the stock Tiger sucks. :P
Honestly even the stock grind wasn't that bad. It's a slower 3601H with more HP.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

People keep telling me that the M37 is a bad arty. I think it's pretty decent, and since I got that shell rammer its performance has only increased.

Heck, in one match I was among the few left, and one of those heavies who'd been dissing my tank just destroyed the only other guy alive on my side of the map. I had sped up to full in hopes to reach him in time to help, but alas, I couldn't. So I took a pot-shot at the guy, doing 10% damage, and then rammed him for another 20% He was left with 20-30% of his health at the end.

First thing he says is "JESUS CHRIST YOU SCARED ME!" and I just go "This is why I love this arty. 58kph bitch."
Lictuel
Redshirt

Post by Lictuel »

Stock tigers are indeed not that bad, though not really good either. Once upgraded its a beast and a lot of fun. Only drawback for me was the high repair cost ( I don't use prem. accounts ).

I got the Tiger II now and i must say it hurts to play it with stock equipment. The long 88 is nice on the tiger but against Tier IX and X I find it really lacking. Getting the next Gun though cost ~70k exp.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Tigers are pretty dangerous, but the whininess of the average Tiger driver is a class in and of itself.

OH MY GOD HOW DID YOU DAMAGE ME REPORTED YOU FUCKING CHEATER!!!!!
Zinegata wrote: The problem is that too many players think it is an "I win!" tank, when it is really a machine that requires a fair bit of skill and tactical thinking to maximize (*gasp* So maybe the Tiger's success was due to the fact it was driven by top Panzer aces! Who knew crew skill could be so important? /sarcasm).
It was also far superior, technically, to anything it routinely faced, which is small wonder seeing that it was a heavy tank which routinely had to face mediums. The M26 though was perfectly capable of fighting Tigers on an equal footing thanks to its 90mm gun, high mobility and better armor when compared to the Sherman.

Of course, STRATEGICALLY the Tiger was one of the worst German mistakes they ever made, but hey :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PeZook wrote: It was also far superior, technically, to anything it routinely faced
No amount of technical superiority will save a tank driver who decides to march out in the open to get shot at by the whole enemy team. (or a whole enemy tank company in real life) :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Zinegata wrote: No amount of technical superiority will save a tank driver who decides to march out in the open to get shot at by the whole enemy team. (or a whole enemy tank company in real life) :P
True, but you don't need a tank ace to realize that. It's just Tigers were so hyped that lots of WoT players think they were actually OMG INVULNERABLE.

Forgetting Russkies had plenty of AT guns which could wreck Tigers. After all, only what, 100 Tigers out of the 1350 produced survived the war?

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

PeZook wrote:
Zinegata wrote: No amount of technical superiority will save a tank driver who decides to march out in the open to get shot at by the whole enemy team. (or a whole enemy tank company in real life) :P
True, but you don't need a tank ace to realize that. It's just Tigers were so hyped that lots of WoT players think they were actually OMG INVULNERABLE.

Forgetting Russkies had plenty of AT guns which could wreck Tigers. After all, only what, 100 Tigers out of the 1350 produced survived the war?
I remember when I got my Tiger. "Finally! My first heavy tank! I'm gonna wreck havoc!" The first fights, I was always at the bottom and was among the first to die, so I learned quickly that the Tiger doesn't take a lot of beating. I love it's 88 and it can be fun to play when among the top.

BTW, did they nerf the T18? I had 70% win rate with it, but now it's dropping. Have only 68% now. What happend? Did I turn bad overnight?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They made the M18 Hellcat way less agile, reduced the rate of fire of it's gun, and made the thing more visible. It's now an average vehicle, instead of a godlike one.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

People go "OOH! A Tiger!" and they expect basically to be driving a Tiger in 1942 with the opposition that entails. Driving a Tiger in basically 1946 is a very different experience.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

xthetenth wrote:People go "OOH! A Tiger!" and they expect basically to be driving a Tiger in 1942 with the opposition that entails. Driving a Tiger in basically 1946 is a very different experience.
Yeah, it being the least well armored tier 7 heavy surprised me when I first got it. That's what it gets for being a literal box on treads though, barely a slope on the damn thing.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It has very nice, very flat armor over its ammo rack which is also penetrable by the Easy 8, which I like very much.

It helps that a lot of Tiger drivers just ignore me and expose their flanks.

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Tiger also has the hilarious property of having it's gun mantlet be a weak spot. There's holes on the mantlet for periscopes or something, that create the edge effect of weakening the already thin mantlet even further.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The stats of the T18 seems the same, maybe the MM now places it among higher tiers?

At least I can still rock with my SU-26:
Victory!
Battle: Serene Coast 26. oktober 2012 14:42:48
Vehicle: SU-26
Experience received: 2 028 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 22 350
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

Got 6, damaged 3 more.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I wish that some arty would realize that if there is one enemy heavy left on their team that's in low health, then the two arty left on our team can easily flank it and win.

I was in a match on Karelia sitting behind a rock with a KV-1 on the other side of it, and it took forever to convince the Tier IV arty on the other side of our base to drive up behind the guy and shoot him, since even if he kills one of us the other can get him. Fortunately, he did it, came right up behind the guy and fired, then we have a dead KV-1.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Imperial528 wrote:I wish that some arty would realize that if there is one enemy heavy left on their team that's in low health, then the two arty left on our team can easily flank it and win.
I have used my SU-26 as a TD with great success. I usually move as needed. The SU-26 is a bit slow, but if there is only one left on the enemy team, I know I can move around without getting shot, and I do. As the battle progresses, I must move forward anyway because of the limited range. When I have battles as the one above, I don't have to move much and don't have time. Too much to shoot at. I only have to advance at the end to get the campers :)
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Nephtys wrote:The Tiger also has the hilarious property of having it's gun mantlet be a weak spot. There's holes on the mantlet for periscopes or something, that create the edge effect of weakening the already thin mantlet even further.
Which is funnier because it should be the Tiger P that has that effect. Note that the Tiger P's fully upgraded turret has the binocular sights, while the Tiger has a single sight set in an area of double-thick armour. That was the workaround they used for the edge weakness of the binocular sight.

Which is logical, because the Tiger P has an older model of turret, and that feature might actually make the Tiger vaguely armored.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My friends and I frequently play TD arty when it's endgame. Often get 3-5 kills out of doing so.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville Friday, October 26, 2012 3:30:57 PM
Vehicle: M7 Priest
Experience received: 1,344 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 27,658
Battle Achievements: Confederate, Kamikaze

Odd combination of medals on this one, eh?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Lictuel
Redshirt

Post by Lictuel »

Battle: Live Oaks Samstag, 27. Oktober 2012 10:36:25
Vehicle: PzKpfw VIB Tiger II
Experience received: 3.212 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 58.425
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Finally a game worth showing, Killed an IS and an Obj. 704 damaged another Obj. 704, IS-3 and a Panther, survived with 51 Hp and killed the last IS 20 sec before the timer ran out. That was after the killcount read 11:13 against us after 10 minutes.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'll miss my KV1-Sport but I needed to money to get an IS. Good tank to take things close and personal
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

KV Sport forever, man! 57% victory rate and just plain FUN.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Yes, Lictuel: I love my TigerII, too.
Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka 27. oktober 2012 14:24:52
Vehicle: PzKpfw VIB Tiger II
Experience received: 2 562 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 56 491
Battle Achievements: Sniper

The 105 is so damn accurate. Love it! With binocs, my view range is 480 (well, 445, I guess), and I can hit parts of tanks at that distance! I also usually get xp for spotting tanks other shoot at. I can buy an E-75 now, but am not sure if I want to. Its 128 is less accurate, and the germans in general aren't the best brawlers.

I'm really starting to like my IS-3 as well and I'm slowly learning the different ways of driving the two. I usually have binocs on my german tanks, so I bought binocs for my IS-3 as well, but think I'm gonna buy enhanced gun laying drive there instead. Maybe getting rid of improved ventilation and getting vertical stabilizer? I already have the tank gun rammer on it. Should, or should I not get rid of improved ventilation? Hm...

Oh, well, here's my last battle with IS-3:
Victory!
Battle: Lakeville 27. oktober 2012 13:43:03
Vehicle: IS-3
Experience received: 2 424 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 39 976
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner

We were playing top team and I was at the top. I was leading a spearhead trough the city, and went on the far right of the map while 3 other heavies and some mediums were a little bit to my right.When they met resistance, I was able to flank them and the battle was glorious! We steamrolled the other team and had lost only 4 tanks when we won. I love it when things like this happen.