World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oooohhh...my first Top-Gun was in the BT-2...might have to revisit it too... :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is that the 2pdr pom-pom gun you guys are using?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The 40mm Pom Pom and other QF 40mm are very similar. I'm using the QF right now. It does a teeny bit more damage and has more pen and accuracy, at the cost of a slightly longer aimtime. I figure higher accuracy evens out with aimtime, so I'll take the damage/pen advantage.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What about the rate of fire question? Isn't the pom-pom a semi-auto?
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Both the QF40mm and Pom Pom fire a 2 round burst, with another 2 rounds available immediately. Effectively, a 4 round staggered burst. Then a 5-6 second reload on the A13 Covenanter
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

So, the weakness of British tanks is that they are armoured out of cardboard? That sounds counter to my stereotype vision of British tank design, which I taught meant slow and ponderous but tough.

Just going off a glance at the stats, the guns for the Brit tanks seem to outclass the equivalent US and German guns in ROF AND accuracy, while being only marginally less damaging. How is that going to work out in practice?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

AniThyng wrote:So, the weakness of British tanks is that they are armoured out of cardboard? That sounds counter to my stereotype vision of British tank design, which I taught meant slow and ponderous but tough.
British tank design in the inter and early war was split between Cruiser Tanks (fast, lightly armoured, designed to exploit holes in enemy lines) and Infantry Tanks (slow, well armoured, designed to advance with infantry and support them against entrenched positions).

The Vickers Medium doesn't really fit either though, it's big, slow, and lightly armoured but has very high firepower. They're only really called "Medium" because of the number of crew.

Most of the other early tier British tanks are cruiser tanks, whereas at tier 5+ they tend to switch over to infantry tanks for a bit before moving to the earliest "universal tank" prototypes at about tier 8/9.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I suspect Wargaming deliberately started by making British tanks too powerful, and will make them less overwhelming in later patches. If they want to balance the tank, there are really only two options: start them too weak and make them gradually stronger, or start them too strong and make them gradually weaker. The first option would mean people would learn to ignore the British tanks pretty fast, which isn't what Wargaming wants.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The British MK I - III are pretty bad though. Really slow, no armor, and the slightly bigger guns don't make up for it.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It's hard to say at the moment, given that they're exclusively being matched against each other because low tiers are all British all the time.

The other thing the Vickers Mediums have is lots of HP, so even if they're super easy to damage some things may not be able to chew through them before the huge guns which are capable of one shotting some tier 1s have flattened them.

And, to be honest, basically everything not French at low tiers is easy to penetrate regularly, it's the nature of low end combat that all hits pen.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The BESA Machine Gun is the funniest weapon possible in Tier1 and Tier2 though. You fire something like 200 rounds within 4 seconds, the need to reload.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oddly, I find my PzII chewing through the low-tier Brits rather well. I can handle a good number of Tier II tanks, and even a couple III's at once. Just got to be careful not to get swarmed.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The low tier brits are pretty much the definition of a glass cannon. They're dangerous but definitely have enough flaws to balance them out. Fighting against british tanks highlights their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses to some extent, but I have gotten instapopped by enough howitzers do drive home their fragility.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Don't forget to log into your account and activate the code for the Golden Joystick bonuses: GGWP
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Where do we activate said code?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

On the website. They've even got a handy guide.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, I found it :P

Now to enjoy three days of premium :D
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Sorry, I should have put that link in my last post. In any case, for those who are still wondering, here are the bonuses:
UPDATED! We've added a few British Tanks to the list of tanks getting a discount, and we've extended the bonus codes longevity from the 9th to the 12th.

The level of competition in our category was sky-high, but our incredible community came out in full force to support us.

To show our gratitude for the support our community has brought to World of Tanks we’re inviting all of our players to partake in the Golden Joystick Celebration!

To kick it all off, we’re supplying a promo code that grants each player three free days of Premium Account time and some very useful consumables. Here it is, your promo code:

GGWP

(Use caps only). If you need more information on how to activate the promo code, please read the instructions.

The rest of the Celebration starts November 2nd at 04:30 PDT (11:30 UTC) and runs through November 5th at 04:00 PDT (11:00 UTC). Curious what time this is in your region? Use this handy Time Zone Converter to help you out.

Golden Joystick Celebration details:

Bonus for first victory: 5x experience

Discount on Equipment: 50%

Discount on Garage Slots: 50%

Discount on crew tank training and retraining: 50%

Discount on crew skill retraining: 50%

The following vehicles will be offered at the credit price of the previous tier:

IS-8: 2,568,500 credits
T-54: 2,390,000 credits
ST-1: 2,430,000 credits
E-50: 2,390,000 credits
E-75: 2,450,000 credits
VK 4502 (P): 2,435,000 credits
M46 Patton: 2,403,000 credits
M103: 2,610,000 credits
Lorraine 40t: 2,370,000 credits
AMX 50 120: 2,552,500 credits
Cent.Mk7/1: 2,350,000 credits

Object 212: 1,460,000 credits
GW Tiger: 1,500,000 credits
M40/M43: 1,400,000 credits
Lorraine 155/51: 1,480,000 credits
AMX 50 Foch: 2,570,000 credtis
T95: 2,580,000 credits
T30: 2,650,000 credits
Jagdtiger: 2,570,000 credits
SU-122-54T: 2,560,000 credits
Object 704: 2,520,000 credits
Conqueror: 2,520,000 credits

The following premium tanks will be available for the listed price:

T34: 10,200
Lowe: 10,625
IS-6: 10,030
T26E4 Super Pershing: 6,120
8.8 cm Pak 43 JagdTiger: 8,500

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to vote World of Tanks the best MMO for the 2012 Golden Joystick Awards, enjoy!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Anyone who likes autocannons but finds them frustratingly ineffective, this is your hour. All the Tier 1 and 2 matches are full of very lightly armored British tanks that have basically no protection against 20mm fire.
Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Friday, November 02, 2012 5:37:54 PM
Vehicle: T1 Cunningham
Experience received: 5,055 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 13,533
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

:D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Oh British light tanks, I friggin' love you. climbed to tier IV in 2 days. First match out with my stock Covenanter and a Pom-pom:

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka Friday, November 02, 2012 3:28:21 PM
Vehicle: A13 Covenanter
Experience received: 4,215 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 16,020
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "3rd Class"
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've been lumbering around in the Heavy Churchill today. Gotten it fully upgraded and I am enjoying the inert lump of tea-filled metal.

You really have to just drive at things and weather the storm, firing relentlessly. If you don't, the battle's over by the time you've gotten there. The fact it's hilariously well armoured does help there. You can't play peekaboo with it because of the long, long tread overhang and the fact that there's no point. The turret's in the middle and the tank is long. Best just to face them and fire away. The Matilda's suprisingly good training for it.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I am really, really trying to like my A13, but it's hard. Not that it's a bad tank, by no means. I prefer the 2 pounder over the autocannons, but thats not the problem. The problem is being a light tank at tier 4. At that point Wargaming's dumbassed combat model takes over, at which point the A13 becomes fodder for the NA server Heavy Wall.

It's goddamed annoying. Any hope of a fast paced battle of tactics and maneuver is negated completely by the bog standard stupidity of "duurrr, I got armur and big gun. I camp now."

Add to that most maps being little more than variations of corridor fighting, with neither the size nor terrain for light or medium tanks to really make use of their mobility advantage, and it's just infuriating.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Never let it be said that the Mk. III doesn't have its good days...

Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf Friday, November 02, 2012 9:47:19 PM
Vehicle: Vickers Medium Mk. III
Experience received: 5,375 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 15,324
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Here's some highlights from my night platooning with Skywalker_T65:

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line Friday, November 02, 2012 8:09:50 PM
Vehicle: T1 Heavy
Experience received: 4,280 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 22,185
Battle Achievements: Sniper

Victory!
Battle: Erlenberg Friday, November 02, 2012 8:55:49 PM
Experience received: 1,366
Credits received: 33,013
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Victory!
Battle: Dragon Ridge Friday, November 02, 2012 9:05:04 PM
Experience received: 1,219
Credits received: 32,961
Battle Achievements: Sniper

We did pretty well with him using his KV-1 and I using my T1 HT. Though one weird moment of the night was when some A13 Mk.II was blocking me, and when I told him to stop he shot both of my tracks and damaged them, as if I wasn't slow enough already. Then when I got around him he kept firing into my rear, fortunately doing no damage. Reported the little bastard for team damage, though.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Speaking of weird stuff...in the same match as the A13, I rammed a PzIII/IV and after killing him got stuck on his corpse (because I was hanging off a hill, and I didn't have the power to push it away). By the time I had finally wriggled free, the enemy had nearly finished capping our base. I managed to damage a couple of them, but it wasn't enough. Imp and I were the only survivors of that match though. :P