World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

And of course, my VERY next battle with the thing was one of the very rare top-tier (as in I was the biggest tank on our team...yeah, I know), and I got freakin derped. I HATE DERP GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :finger: :evil:
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

On the other hand, I love to pop Tier V tanks like zits with my KV-2 in those rare matches where I get to be top dog.

I feel kinda guilty afterwards, though, since the guys that go *pop* are probably less amused :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Reminds me of the time I was forced to take on an KV-2 while driving an AMX 40. Even though the guy derped me, I was still able to track him first, and he remained crippled long enough for the rest of my team to finish him off. My team eventually won, so the sacrifice was certainly worth it.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I usually play bad when I'm top dog. Makes me overconfident and sloppy.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And of course, my VERY next battle with the thing was one of the very rare top-tier (as in I was the biggest tank on our team...yeah, I know), and I got freakin derped. I HATE DERP GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :finger: :evil:
This is really priceless. Some things really do not ever change.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote::shock: :shock:

I think I'm in love with the Crusader...it doesn't always do well...but when it does...just look:

Victory!
Battle: Port Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:47:16 PM
Vehicle: Crusader
Experience received: 1,880 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 20,086
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

:shock:
I don't love the Crusader but it's growing on me. Maybe it's simply because its gun can penetrate pretty much every tank it shoots at (even though the damage is puny).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And of course, my VERY next battle with the thing was one of the very rare top-tier (as in I was the biggest tank on our team...yeah, I know), and I got freakin derped. I HATE DERP GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :finger: :evil:
Hetzers gonna hetz.

And, y'know, playing at lower tiers in paper tanks their 10.5mm will easily penetrate you need to be aware of that.

On the other hand, I didn't like the Crusader, it's fragile, slow, and has poor agility and only 3 crew, making it vulnerable to significant performance loss. It's really a medium rather than a light, but it can't really play with the tier 5 mediums because it gets blowed up too easily.

On the other hand, I am enjoying the Cromwell, which it leads to, because it's far more agile and a better platform for basically the same gun (Though I don't have the 75mm HV yet, so I can't comment on that, it looks like a solid performer).
rapidsquirrel
Youngling

Post by rapidsquirrel »

I managed to have an excellent match in my A13 last night. Ran to the rocks in the middle of Serene Coast, and spent the entire match popping of cover just long enough to toss the entire cartridge of 40mm into the nearest heavy's tracks. Manage to track a KV-2, KV-1S and a Churchill VII out in the open. The KV-1S managed to move before he died in the open, but didn't have much health left. Once those three were dead, our team swept through to victory with minimal losses.

Not the highest experience earning match but managed to not take single hit and spent the entire giggling.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Vendetta wrote:
Hetzers gonna hetz.

And, y'know, playing at lower tiers in paper tanks their 10.5mm will easily penetrate you need to be aware of that.

On the other hand, I didn't like the Crusader, it's fragile, slow, and has poor agility and only 3 crew, making it vulnerable to significant performance loss. It's really a medium rather than a light, but it can't really play with the tier 5 mediums because it gets blowed up too easily.

On the other hand, I am enjoying the Cromwell, which it leads to, because it's far more agile and a better platform for basically the same gun (Though I don't have the 75mm HV yet, so I can't comment on that, it looks like a solid performer).

That's the thing...I am well aware of the problems with the armor. I tend to avoid frontal fights, and avoid derpers like the plague. The main reason I got derped in that match (and why it annoyed me to the point of losing my temper, which is rare), is the fact that I got snipe-derped. I didn't even see the jerk who shot me. Which was doubly annoying since I was driving with my team (not far out front) and was top-tier...just to get one-shot by some idiot with a derp gun.

Thus, highly annoyed. Thankfully the Crusader is still fun for me, since I've got another 15k or so XP till I get the Cromwell, which everyone says is awesome.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

At least players with derp guns have to be somewhere near you to kill you as opposed to getting one-shot by arty from across the map.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote: That's the thing...I am well aware of the problems with the armor. I tend to avoid frontal fights, and avoid derpers like the plague. The main reason I got derped in that match (and why it annoyed me to the point of losing my temper, which is rare), is the fact that I got snipe-derped. I didn't even see the jerk who shot me. Which was doubly annoying since I was driving with my team (not far out front) and was top-tier...just to get one-shot by some idiot with a derp gun.
You were out in front in a tank that top tier or not is not a good frontline fighter.

And if you're out in front of course you're going to get shot, they're going to see you first, and even from the point of view of many of the HE chuckers that you'll meet at tier 5 your armour is swiss cheese. They'll penetrate you anywhere from pretty much any angle, and even if they don't kill you straight away they'll usually do something distressing (tank loses crew fast, and only has three)

So, you did a thing you shouldn't have been doing in the Crusader and you got punished for it. It's no good crying "derp", you would have been just as badly off if it was pretty much anything else shooting you when you couldn't shoot back because you couldn't see them.

Consistent success in the Crusader is pretty hard to achieve, it can't fight solo and it's weak and squishy so is likely to get picked on even in a pack if you can't find a hill to peek over, I disliked it intensely and was only just getting a handle on how to play it for consistent success when I'd unlocked the Cromwell and didn't have to bother any more.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I only cried 'Derp!!' because the thing one-shot me. That being said, I was not having a good day, and probably over-reacted. :oops:

Oh well, I've had nothing but good battles for once today, and I can't complain about that. Though it is fairly safe to say I play better with true heavies considering the T-150 is fast approaching my VK level of fun now that I have the 107.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I only cried 'Derp!!' because the thing one-shot me.
Really? I thought you cried 'derp' because you needed something to blame for your mistake.

That people can complain about such things where the entire game is built on penetration spreadsheets is perverse to me. Its like... we love the super tanks with megaguns so we can win... but we hate those guys with their guns that kill us.

Counterstrike, 1999. Do we have to go back to this hell again?
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

No. At least counterstrike had smoke.
Somehow wargaming can't add smoke grenades to the WoT.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you referring to the smoke nades everyone constantly whined about? :V

Honestly I should have expected it I guess; when people crow so much over their (stat driven) victories, of course they're going to cry over their (stat driven) losses. That there's a whole game around knowing whats happening and position etc isn't important when you can just cry 'derp' and suddenly it wasn't your fault.

It was THEIR FAULT.

For using a GOOD GUN. :lol:
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I do know the difference between getting killed normally, and being derped. The fact that I was one-shot by a Hetzer implies the latter, since it is rare someone uses something other than the derp gun.

Like I said, I probably over-reacted. But I dislike Derps on the best of days, which I wasn't having. I don't even use the things on principle (and I've had tanks that would benefit from that...the KV-1, the 3601(pre-L/70), the T-150 (pre-85)). Namely since I have been on the receiving end far too often.

EDIT: Not to mention, you don't need a Derp to have a good gun. Most good guns aren't actually.

EDIT Mark 2: And I would rather put this behind me. I admit I overreacted, but I don't want to get into a debate here.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its a mistake to think people are talking about you. You're just a recent and amusing example of a broad trend, one as old as multiplayer gaming itself.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

High damage inconsistent weapons are intrinsically annoying, and in my personal experience on the average unfun unless individual combats involve enough hits that the law of averages comes into play on them. It's usually a brief laugh that the derp's funny when it works for you but when you get derped it's RAEG time. It's part of the reason I laugh at people who go realism = superior.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Which is partly why I refuse to use the things.

Also, on a different note...I am finding the DB to be surprisingly fun. Don't see why so many people hate it. You just can't expect to be the one with the most kills, even if you end up top-tier. Since even other T7 tanks are likely to be better armed/armored than you are.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The so called derp guns aren't anything bad or anything cheap, they're powerful (especially with the premium ammo) but, for all the tanks that I've one shotted I've had shots bounce or fail to do enough damage to stop another player getting two or three rounds pumped into me. On top of that, I'm earning no money with my E2 and Easy 8;l in fact, even on a round where I'm top of my team I lose money. It's annoying to be one hit, but it's equally annoying to get in really close, eat a pair of hits, and watch your shot sail high and wide.

In the end it's a trade, would you rather be tracked and chewed up by invisible tanks, or one hit by a HEAT round?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

ryacko wrote:No. At least counterstrike had smoke.
Somehow wargaming can't add smoke grenades to the WoT.
Due to how game mechanics are structured right now, all they would really do is reveal your general position to enemy artillery and TDs to have free reign sniping into your cloud, even if they can't technically detect your tank.

Once you do get detected though, your cloud is useless, since it highlights enemy tanks when your gun has a clear shot to them.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I would impliment smoke as invisibility spray. It basically acts as if you're behind a bush for a set amount of time or until you move. It won't be fool proof, but it would help with certain things.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Jub wrote:I would impliment smoke as invisibility spray. It basically acts as if you're behind a bush for a set amount of time or until you move. It won't be fool proof, but it would help with certain things.
Better than engine deck smoke what about smoke shells? They existed and in large and diverse calibers. Want a way to dig someone out of a dip in the land? Tag the section in front of them with a smoke shell and their invisibility drops to shit. Smoke shells would do no damage and have no penetration but whever they hit would have a five to thirty meter cloud of smoke that lasts twenty to thirty seconds and drops the visibility of any unit inside it to nothing, but drops their vision range to a handful of meters.

I would love to have it in my Priest in those higher tier matches where I'm doing nothing for penetration to be able to hit that IS-4 with a smoke round and suddenly that strech of land he's watching vanishes beyond the smoke line and the friendly King Tiger gets the drop on him because he went from seeing 300 meters to seeing 30 meters.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Mr Bean wrote:
Jub wrote:I would impliment smoke as invisibility spray. It basically acts as if you're behind a bush for a set amount of time or until you move. It won't be fool proof, but it would help with certain things.
Better than engine deck smoke what about smoke shells? They existed and in large and diverse calibers. Want a way to dig someone out of a dip in the land? Tag the section in front of them with a smoke shell and their invisibility drops to shit. Smoke shells would do no damage and have no penetration but whever they hit would have a five to thirty meter cloud of smoke that lasts twenty to thirty seconds and drops the visibility of any unit inside it to nothing, but drops their vision range to a handful of meters.

I would love to have it in my Priest in those higher tier matches where I'm doing nothing for penetration to be able to hit that IS-4 with a smoke round and suddenly that strech of land he's watching vanishes beyond the smoke line and the friendly King Tiger gets the drop on him because he went from seeing 300 meters to seeing 30 meters.
That would also be very nice and I could see that really helping with the pain of tier 4 arty. Though it might be hard to give a tank experience for dropping smoke and that could be an issue.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:High damage inconsistent weapons are intrinsically annoying, and in my personal experience on the average unfun unless individual combats involve enough hits that the law of averages comes into play on them. It's usually a brief laugh that the derp's funny when it works for you but when you get derped it's RAEG time. It's part of the reason I laugh at people who go realism = superior.
Like everything else though, they're a gameplay tradeoff. HE chuckers are a gamble because if you run, say, that 10.5cm Hetzer and you roll tier 6 you'll have a bad time, because you're suddenly running into regular enemies that you can barely hurt at all, because you can't accurately hit weakspots with their high dispersion and you're not rolling your dice very often because the fire rate on the derpguns aren't usually high.

So suddenly you're fucked.

So, y'know, next time you get Sudden Explosive Death Syndrome, remember that next time the same guy is crying because he can't do anything.

Also:

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay 07 December 2012 00:05:35
Vehicle: Cromwell
Experience received: 2,142 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 24,250
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Man, what do you have to do to get Ace in the Cromwell? Still, shows that it's a good performer, consistent winning is occurring.