GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Aaron MkII »

Yeah, I have a Ranch Hand, no issues. What have you heard about the revolvers? Because the Judge interests me as a novelty but I still want my novelty to actually work.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Lonestar wrote:Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
Ouch. Actually I have zero issues with the Taurus, no misfeeds, failed ejections, ect.. The SIG however, well it can be temperamental to say the least. I've tried several different brands of ammo, and it will only fire every time with CCI mini-mags. Every thing else will misfeed of get stuck in the chamber and not extract.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

How old is your Taurus, if I might ask. And you don't store all your firearms in cases do you?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Aaron MkII wrote:Yeah, I have a Ranch Hand, no issues. What have you heard about the revolvers? Because the Judge interests me as a novelty but I still want my novelty to actually work.

Then get a Governor.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Aaron MkII wrote:How old is your Taurus, if I might ask. And you don't store all your firearms in cases do you?

The Taurus is coming up on 18 months or so. Picked it up summer of 2011, had to get a 1911 on the hundredth year. I do keep them in the cases, however, each case has multiple pad locks on them. I keep the keys well hidden and up away from any little hands. Plus any ammo I might have is locked away in a different room.

Unfortunately the house is on the small side and there isn't any where to put a decent safe.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Aaron MkII wrote:Yeah, I have a Ranch Hand, no issues. What have you heard about the revolvers? Because the Judge interests me as a novelty but I still want my novelty to actually work.
Well it's just that with revolvers there's no reason to buy one thats' not a ruger or a smith for 99% of purposes. The savings of a cheaper gun are not that great but the real kicker is ther the large market of used smiths/rugers out there that you can get for peanuts. In guns there is a lot to be said for buying used quality over new and cheaply made stuff.

I have heard nothing bad on the Judge other than it's lack of purpose beyond being a novelty, if it wasn't rifled it'd be a lot more useful as a shot revolver though. But legal issues...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Azazal wrote:
Ouch. Actually I have zero issues with the Taurus, no misfeeds, failed ejections, ect.. The SIG however, well it can be temperamental to say the least. I've tried several different brands of ammo, and it will only fire every time with CCI mini-mags. Every thing else will misfeed of get stuck in the chamber and not extract.
Yeah, I've heard that about the Mosquito as well, doesn't help that rimfire ammo is unreliable as well.

Which is why I picked up a SR22 on Friday

DSCF3469 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

I also got a bayonet for my M1 for Xmas.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:
Why?
The Taurus ideal of quality control is "put it together, then send it out. If the customer complains repair for free". Some of the QC issues are things like parts not fitting(THE DAMN THING COMES APART WHEN FIRED), which indicates that they didn't even put a practice round through it at the factory before shipping it out.
His Divine Shadow

Also if it's like in Finland where you have to fill out paperwork every single time you want to buy a firearm and have to pay like 70-100 euros or whatever the cost is nowadays for just handling the application (add to that the uncertainty factor that it can be rejected just because whoever is handling it might have a bad day). Well let's just say you're not going be doing that kind of work for a Taurus.

Also, it's not just a matter of sending it back to have it replaced if it's broken either. We have too many laws and red tape to prevent doing that effectively. Once you get the gun the paperwork is already done and it can't be replaced if it's too broken to be fixed by the local service because of the serial nr. You might just have to end up returning it to the store, and eating the loss for the cost of the paper work, you would have to start all over again if you wanted a replacement. Also the finnish post now even refuses to handle gun parts now, supposedly sends back stuff people ordered abroad, so good luck if you didn't buy it locally or can't use an alternative shipping service.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Azazal wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:How old is your Taurus, if I might ask. And you don't store all your firearms in cases do you?

The Taurus is coming up on 18 months or so. Picked it up summer of 2011, had to get a 1911 on the hundredth year. I do keep them in the cases, however, each case has multiple pad locks on them. I keep the keys well hidden and up away from any little hands. Plus any ammo I might have is locked away in a different room.

Unfortunately the house is on the small side and there isn't any where to put a decent safe.
Oh, I've always been told that it traps moisture and causes rust. You've got them locked, that's fine with me.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lonestar wrote:

Then get a Governor.
Thanks man, I had no idea that existed. And in .45 Colt/.45 ACP/.410! That should be interesting.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Aaron MkII wrote:
Azazal wrote:

Oh, I've always been told that it traps moisture and causes rust. You've got them locked, that's fine with me.
No rust issues, but I thoroughly clean and oil after use, plus the basement is cool and dry year round
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Has anyone had a chance to shoot the Ruger SR22? I looked at once over the summer and was impressed. But the design is so new that I didn't know if it still had teething problems.

But damn it was a comfortable little 22 pistol. Even more so than the Walther P22.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'll shoot mine on Thursday and let you know.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Apparently Diane Feinstein is pushing name specific bans on guns. 150+ guns to be named.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Glock 19 will be on that list. And I've wanted one for a while. Gonna have to keep my options open.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Alyeska wrote:Apparently Diane Feinstein is pushing name specific bans on guns. 150+ guns to be named.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Glock 19 will be on that list. And I've wanted one for a while. Gonna have to keep my options open.
I'm done some Googling, but have not see a draft list of what guns she wants to ban. Does anyone have a link by chance? Being the cynical bastard the I am, I should buy stock in the companies that make anything on her list, the value will soar the more she talks.
His Divine Shadow

Banning things like glocks and handguns, man looks like you can worry a lot less, no way such an insane proposition will pass. Feinstein even has a history of making unpassable proposals that never get anywhere.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SR22 range report. Went through about a hundred rounds of mix Remington "Golden Bullet" and bulk Winchester Super-X, with no problems. I saw some videos(well, Hickok45s) where the slide didn't recoil all the way on some rounds, causing failures to feed, but it didn't happen with mine.

I'm rather enamored with the built in notch that turns the mags into their own speedloaders.

Also, Ruger announced a factory threaded barrel version of the SR22 today, as well as a threaded barrel version of the Takedown 10/22.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The SR22 sounds real sweet. And a factory threaded version? Damn. I am gonna have to get a silencer afterall. Gemtech makes some nice 22 silencers and I could swap them from SR22 to Walther P22.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You can legally buy silencers in the USA? What for?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thanas wrote:You can legally buy silencers in the USA? What for?
Strictly regulated. Have to go through a background check.

Why not? How about the fact that it makes the gun quieter. So less hearing damage. The weight on the barrel decreases recoil making it more accurate.

Silencers aren't used in crime. They make a pistol large and heavy. Criminals want small and concealable. I also think the law against silencers is a joke. I can build one for less than 20 bucks using expanding foam and plastic pipe if I so desired.

*Edit*

Silencers are regulated by the ATF. You don't go through a small check. This is a thorough background check.

Finger printed in addition to a background check. Registered. And a $200 fee for every silencer.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

It's also worth noting that silencers don't work like they do in the movies and video games. You can't screw a silencer on a 9mm and shoot it in a room full of people without being noticed. There's no "fwop fwop, dead, easy getaway." It really just makes most rounds sound like loud .22s. The video comments are hilarious:
Dumbass: those are some real shitty silencers, because good silencers will give you little soft clicks.
Guy heckling Dumbass: Source:Call of duty

The problem is you can't suppress the round when it breaks the sound barrier. You can silence a .22 and load up some subsonic rounds, but I've been told it's still audible enough to be recognized as gunfire. It's just nice because you don't even need earplugs to shoot it because it's barely louder than a pump air rifle.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mythbusters compared Hollywood sound effects to real silencers. They were surprised. The Hollywood sound is surprisingly similar.

The key difference is sound level. The technical term for silencers is Sound Suppressors. You cannot silence a pistol. That much energy being moved that quickly is going to make noise. The key is altering the noise. An un-suppressed 9mm is about 160 decibels. A suppressed 9mm is about 120 decibels. A sub-sonic suppressed 9mm is even quieter.

But 120 decebels. Well, here is a comparison.

A busy city street is 85
Hair Dryers are 90
Rock Concerts are 105
Chainsaws are 110
Max volume iPod in your ear is 115
Jackhammers are 120

A "silenced" 9mm has the same sound level as a jackhammer.

His Divine Shadow

Thanas wrote:You can legally buy silencers in the USA? What for?
¨
Gosh! How evil.

Edit: but seriously, I thin it's obvious what perfectly "non-evil" advantages there are to making a gun less loud after some consideration. It reduces noise pollution, reduces recoil, for hunters using dogs it also protects the dogs hearing (an otherwise common problem, dogs going deaf). Having a very loud device be quieter is just really useful on so many fronts that it's ridiculous how hollywood has managed to put this assassin bullshit (the one area where it's overblown) so firmly in peoples minds.

Suppressors are legal in Norway, Sweden, Finland, France and the UK in europe at least. New Zealand too.
Last edited by His Divine Shadow on 2013-01-06 03:35am, edited 3 times in total.
His Divine Shadow

Alyeska wrote:Silencers aren't used in crime.
You know in Finland and Norway the only law we have on silencers is that you need to own a gun to buy one. It's been like this for ever pretty much, I can't recall a single time a suppressor has ever been used in a crime.