World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Vortex Empire »

xthetenth wrote:About arty I'd like longer flight times to make hitting moving targets harder, except on a few lighter pieces so mediums aren't quite as vulnerable (although the clan wars game with popping scouts with arty is one of the more amusing bits because it's such a game of cat and mouse). The artillery nerfs this time are pretty much intended to make them more vulnerable when spotted.
The Vortex Empire wrote:Well then, Clan Wars is going down for a week while they wipe the map and replace Europe with North America. The first few weeks while every clan scrambles to grab land should be interesting.
This is going to be fun. Looking forward to staying up till 4 AM beating bad pubbies in a landing tourney. I wonder where we'll pick to settle.
I imagine the eastern seaboard and California will be the most valuable areas that the major clans dominate, while Canada and Greenland are the new Africa.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Depending on the province profit amount, Canada looks tempting because of the big provinces, which mean less in the way of borders to guard. We'll see. All I know is that it'll be more of the same clans running the show as usual.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

How are the Chinese tanks? Did they fix the balance issues? I'm going to reinstall the game over the weekend, and am somewhat curious about the new tree (since Arty being nerfed means I'll probably put that on the backburner)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:03:07 PM
Vehicle: AMX 12t
Experience received: 1,750 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 16,456
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Master Gunner, Lavrinenko's Medal III Class

I used to hate my AMX 12t, but I'm definitely starting to grow some respect for it now. I don't always play intelligently, but on the few occasions when I do, it can be a sight to behold. Took out a Ferdinand and a T28 by emptying the whole contents of a cylinder into their rears, helped reset the cap by taking out an enemy M7 parked on it, then sat on the cap with the surviving members of my team (a Tiger II and a T26E4; there was also a Tiger, but he didn't get there until after the capture was complete) when the enemy was just down to a lone Type 59.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Friday, January 18, 2013 7:36:33 AM
Vehicle: M6
Experience received: 4,074 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 32,421
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Could've sworn I'd aced this before. Great match. Almost 3k damage + spotted a good amount of tanks.

Only two shots actually damaged me the whole game, lol.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Victory!
Battle: Steppes Friday, January 18, 2013 9:20:33 AM
Vehicle: T1 Heavy Tank
Experience received: 3,513 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 29,748
Got a Panzer IV, all their artillery and shot up two KV's because the arty stayed behind in mainbase and everyone rushed the flag. Good for me, bad for them.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Wow, Clan Wars sounds cool. Makes me actually wants to do the trouble to join one.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Not me. Too competitive... :(
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

wautd wrote:Wow, Clan Wars sounds cool. Makes me actually wants to do the trouble to join one.
It can be pretty fun on the high end if you're in a good clan. It can also suck tremendously if you aren't. It's still a very different experience playing one battle with tanks chosen for the battle where everyone has a place and pretty awesome.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm a fairly decent player, and I wouldn't mind jumping in CW. Problem being I still have yet to pass Tier 7 :P
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I'd want to do Clan Wars, but I know it's a Tier 10 only affair. Anybody who can't manage that, well. Your clan is probably crap if they can't field a team of entirely or nearly entirely endgame tanks.

My poor T110E5. So good, yet so limited by how Tier10 Vehicles rely on teamwork more than anybody else in the game. Going to need to get a T57 for solopub crushing :/
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I'm a fairly decent player, and I wouldn't mind jumping in CW. Problem being I still have yet to pass Tier 7 :P

Eh, CW sounds too much like work, and too much like a place where people would get really mad if I suck and fail. I don't even like TCs that much, for that very reason, I'm expected not to suck, and I can't guarantee that.

I never feel like I'm more than "ok" at this game.

As for 8.3, the arty nerf seems pretty meaningless from where I stand. Mainly I'm just even more fucked if someone gets up on me, but I was pretty fucked in that case anyway. Five arty on a team is still too many, it really should be three, that'd allow people who were so inclined to run a full platoon of arty, without being excessive. If nothing else was changed, and arty was just capped to 3 per team, I think 95% of the complaints about it would have disappeared. I know it would make MM take longer, but I'd be willing to wait a few minutes to get better matches.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My problem is I can't spend gold. So while I'm good enough to GET to T10, it takes a long time. Note that the only T7 tanks I have are the DB and Tiger...one of which sucks so much stock I gave up, and the other one doesn't have its Tier 8 yet :P

Either way, CW is probably too much for me...I'm decent, but not good enough for it. Even if I hit Tier 10 I'd probably be kicked out quickly :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Just picked up a T32, and man, even with stock gun, stock turret, and stock suspension I love this thing. It's a T29 that's better in every way.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Stock turret is BAD. It's got no armor, and do not pretend it does.

Upgraded turret however, is virtually invincible. Even moreso than a T29's.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Nephtys wrote:Stock turret is BAD. It's got no armor, and do not pretend it does.

Upgraded turret however, is virtually invincible. Even moreso than a T29's.
I've been bouncing plenty of shots when hull down with it, the turret itself is weak but the mantlet is still large and pretty strong. Nothing compared to that upgraded one though, 298mm frontal armor, damn.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Based on the reviews of a friend, I have been grinding the M18 Hellcat a bit. I just got the 90mm gun for it and holy hell, does it turn into a little murder machine. Threw a camo net and a rammer I had in stock from something or other in, combined with its naturally, absurdly high camo-rating and I'm nearly invisible. I don't even have 100% crew yet and don't often keep lower tier tanks, but this is staying in my lineup. Next permanent paint sale I'll splurge some gold on it too.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Now I can no longer reach the server, which is a first for me. I'm holding out hope that the issue is on the other end, but still, gah.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Eleas wrote:Now I can no longer reach the server, which is a first for me. I'm holding out hope that the issue is on the other end, but still, gah.
Same here, but yeah, gah.

Oh well, good time to sort my Dominion cards
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I can't reach the server either. Though that's because it is currently reinstalling after conking out on me back when 8.2 launched :P

(yes, I haven't played since before 8.2, since I was waiting on 8.3 to try again...hopefully it works once the client is reinstalled and I don't have to do this again...)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

EU servers appear to have exploded. Forums and website are barely working either.

Conspiracy theory is that it's a DDOS, more likely explanation is that the EU server has fallen over under the weight of everyone trying to farm their KV-1S at the same time on a saturday night.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Broken wrote:Based on the reviews of a friend, I have been grinding the M18 Hellcat a bit. I just got the 90mm gun for it and holy hell, does it turn into a little murder machine. Threw a camo net and a rammer I had in stock from something or other in, combined with its naturally, absurdly high camo-rating and I'm nearly invisible. I don't even have 100% crew yet and don't often keep lower tier tanks, but this is staying in my lineup. Next permanent paint sale I'll splurge some gold on it too.
Just hope nobody shoots HE at you. 13mm of hull armor and an open-topped turret isn't a great combination for that situation. Other than that, it's indeed a fantastic machine.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I have enough XP to get the Hellcat (or close to enough) but right now I'm concentrating on the T-150. Assuming of course the game starts working for me again :P
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Not able to connect either. And hi.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh joy...now I'm worried the thing won't work even when it finishes installing...darn it...