Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

Post by bilateralrope »

ray245 wrote:Watch ROTS, there is a shot of one Republic ship slicing an enemy ship with some sort of beam. Additionally, Star Trek is also another prominent show whereby laser beam slicing through each other is quite common.
I don't remember the scene you're talking about. I don't own a copy of ROTS. Even if I didn't, I don't have time to watch it for one thing I missed the first time round.

You claim that the slicing happened. Prove it. All you need to do is find a youtube clip of that battle, then tell me where in that video the slicing happened.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Skip to the 1:05 mark.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote:Skip to the 1:05 mark.

That was not slicing. Just the beam firing at a single point on the separatist ship, followed by an explosion.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FWIW, the first example of "laser slicing" that pops into my head is not from B5 or SW, it's from ST2TWOK when the Reliant attacks the Enterprise for the first time and cuts a swath through the torpedo bay and the engineering section with its phasers.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You could split hairs because it clearly wasn't slicing and it was rapid fire rather than sustained, but yeah. Turns out things that aren't Star Wars had their own ideas?? TWOK's nebula battle had pretty interesting direction too (and not just ripped off a WW2 film).

I rewatched the CW cartoon, and the scene where Jedi Master Horns goes into space (and sees seriously hundreds of cap ships fighting), boards a crippled ship and leads a spacebourne leap onto an enemy ship and captures it is waaaay more interesting (content wise and style) than the ROTS opening.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote:FWIW, the first example of "laser slicing" that pops into my head is not from B5 or SW, it's from ST2TWOK when the Reliant attacks the Enterprise for the first time and cuts a swath through the torpedo bay and the engineering section with its phasers.
I could try and argue it, but all my arguments are splitting it a bit too finely for my liking. So I'll just concede that Trek did slicing before B5. Which does nothing about the fact that SW has never done slicing.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The "slicing" and missiles all felt out of the place when I saw them in ROTS. All the pew-pew in SW is supposed to be either laser "bolts" or "torpedoes" that LOOK like laser bolts.

I hope JJ brings back the OT style pew-pew.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote:The "slicing" and missiles all felt out of the place when I saw them in ROTS.
What slicing in ROTS ?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Notice the quotes. I don't have a dog in this fight.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Stark wrote: I rewatched the CW cartoon, and the scene where Jedi Master Horns goes into space (and sees seriously hundreds of cap ships fighting), boards a crippled ship and leads a spacebourne leap onto an enemy ship and captures it is waaaay more interesting (content wise and style) than the ROTS opening.
I actually enjoyed the opening scenes of ROTS, because hey it's Obi-Wan and Anakin being awesome heroes and making quips and stuff, but an actual dogfight like the one he had against Ventress would've gone a long way towards showing how awesome of a pilot Anakin was supposed to be. In the OT Obi-Wan calls him "the best star pilot in the galaxy," and the one time we see him in a fighter, all he does is outwit the two dumbest missiles in the galaxy, and blow the wing off Obi-Wan's fighter.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TBH the battle probably sucked because there was so much ground to cover dramatically, and so much exposition needed around the Anakin/Obi wan relationship. They had to sit there like goons for 10m with wooden banter the actors phoned in to let people know where the characters were at and sell AC-170 toys. The Lego Star Wars representation of the scene was actually more interesting, which is pretty alarming since all it did was chase your fighter.

But yeah, 'better' SW battles don't have to be 'like the OT'. The cartoon (and I believe the CGI show) have exciting battles that actually show pilots doing outrageous things and defeating huge odds rather than driving to Grievous' ship and crashing.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I don't know why they didn't just cut out the first fight with Grevious entirely. He's essentially a plot device used by Lucas (and Palpatine) to get Obi-wan off of Coruscant so that Sidious can get his hooks into Anakin. Wedging an initial encounter with him into those opening scenes just fucking destroyed the pacing which had been frantic and entertaining up to that point. Everything from the dynamic duo getting caught in the ray shields to the crash feels like padding.

They should've kept Dooku as the villain for Revenge's first act, and actually given him some characterization which he really doesn't get outside of the EU.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

It was important to give Grievous enough screen time as well, unless you think they should have cut him altogether. But I agree that Dooku should have had more screen time.

Revenge of the Sith should have been longer.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If Grievous had died in the cartoon, before ROTS started, I'm not sure it would have hurt the movie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably not, but since was going to be included, it would have made little sense to minimize his role to expand Dooku's role.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

That's a classic example of messing up a good idea. Do something in the tie-in that features in the film, great. Grievous is choking because be was force-crushed in the chest. Only 95% of the test of the audience who didn't see the toons were completely confused about what was going on. They could have accomplished the same thing simply by giving him battle damage that's visible and hasn't been repaired. The audience might not know what it's from, can easily surmise a prior battle, and the fans who saw the toons can geek out over the continuity nod.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Whatever 'geek out' means I'm pretty sure I'm too old to do it.

I'm not sure what the intent for the character was, but he sure wasted a lot of screen time. Since there was so far to go character wise (and the character stuff wasn't really great) choosing screen priorities better would have helped the film. Its just sad that a show with five minute episodes can sell Anakins state of mind better than a feature length film.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Am I alone in thinking that Han and Leia should be divorced in Episode VII? It might actually give him back some of the edge he lost in ROTJ when he started acting all lovey-dovey and whipped. Hell, we might even get a Star Wars version of this scene:

Spare me the EU's Brady Bunch Family Man Han. That's not Han. Never was. Ford knew Han and he thought Han should die in ROTJ. That didn't happen so gimme Grizzled Old Scoundrel Han instead. :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I dunno. Early EU Han (even excluding the pre-OT trilogy by Daley) wasn't so bad. TTT Han was fine, as was HOT Han, because the damn kids got virtually never mentioned and played absolutely no role in the story (WRT HOT).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Married Han makes about much sense to me as Married Batman.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually, while married Batman admittedly didn't work out so hot, it has happened, and I do think me and Han are slightly different characters. I'm an obsessed psychopath on a mission he devoted his life to despite knowing he can never truly succeed. Han is a guy down on his luck who just wants to make a living and, just maybe, found there's more to life than that. Plus there's him using guns and no matter what current canon policy says, Han shot first. And it wasn't set on stun either.
That reminds me-does Han's blaster even have a stun setting?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Galvatron wrote:Married Han makes about much sense to me as Married Batman.
You think Han's supposed to be gay?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rolling back character development is just admitting you don't know where to go forward. I know a lot of people just want 'Star Wars, again', but you'd hope they'd get some interesting drama out of it rather than just fulfilling some nerds idea of gender roles.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Grievous might have been a better villain if he didn't have that irritating cough and voice. The audio book had better Grievous voice.

I don't think married Han is weird - married Luke seems stranger. ROTJ Luke seems more like he'll turn into Obi- Wan Mk.II.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

C'mon, Luke had a little love coming. The first woman he fell in love with turned out to be his sister, the next told him 'Yeah no thanks, politics', and it goes downhill from there. Besides, compared to my relationship with Talia the Luke/Mara marriage looks positively pedestrian.