World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Camp at the back? Because that's what it was doing. :P

EDIT: I know what you meant, and I realize that most of this was my own fault for not getting support. But it is horrendously annoying to be called an idiot because I'm the only one who isn't afraid to have my precocious paint scratched.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

What is it with idiot pubbie teams and Himmelsdorf/Sand River Encounter maps??

Start of game, you see everybody pinging the crap out of "The Hill", then 90% of the team will bum-rush the hill. Then so as long as the other team sends a heavy or two towards the cap and just sit there, it's over. :banghead: Great work winning The Hill, now what're you going to do?

*sigh* it's worse when I'm in a close to stock DB and can't really carry. Then I get called coward because I can't beat 3x Tier IX heavies by myself to reset the cap. Yeeeaaahh.
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Hill is kinda important in Encounter. It's the fastest way to engage the enemy team, and gives you a really major advantage if you win it. You can get behind almost any defensive position from the hill very quickly.

Personally though, I see it as where you send 10-12 people on your team. The others, mostly Mediums, go to the cap and defend it, while your guys hopefully win hill and roll in on them.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Dendrobius wrote:What is it with idiot pubbie teams and Himmelsdorf/Sand River Encounter maps??

Start of game, you see everybody pinging the crap out of "The Hill", then 90% of the team will bum-rush the hill. Then so as long as the other team sends a heavy or two towards the cap and just sit there, it's over. :banghead: Great work winning The Hill, now what're you going to do?

*sigh* it's worse when I'm in a close to stock DB and can't really carry. Then I get called coward because I can't beat 3x Tier IX heavies by myself to reset the cap. Yeeeaaahh.
The hill is key in those maps, best way to win is to send about 2/3 of your team up the hill with the rest heading to the cap just to reset them if they try to cap. Charging cap will just get you outflanked and picked apart from both sides. Where pubbies go wrong is that they get to the top of the hill and play peek-and-boom rather than pushing, but that's something pubbies do in all situations.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Hero AMX-40 in a game on Karelia. I was fighting the south hill in my PzIII/IV, took three down, but we were eventually outdone, irritatingly leaving a T-34 and Type T-34 on single digit hitpoints each, our north flank was basically done, and we had KV-1s coming down both routes. They took out the arties and our remaining M-7 and KV-1 (the M-7 just fed himself to them), but all that time one dogged little AMX-40 had been trundling to their base, got into the cap zone just as they were polishing off the last of our team leaving it 1v6, and the StuG that had gone back to reset just crested the hill as the cap completed.

Invader and Kolobanovs in an AMX-40. The boy done good.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Vortex Empire wrote: The hill is key in those map, best way to win is to send about 2/3 of your team up the hill with the rest heading to the cap just to reset them if they try to cap. Charging cap will just get you outflanked and picked apart from both sides. Where pubbies go wrong is that they get to the top of the hill and play peek-and-boom rather than pushing, but that's something pubbies do in all situations.
Yeah, that's why Lemmingtrains always fail. Because they stop at the first sign of resistance and try to fit 14 tanks into 5 pieces of cover, whereas if the whole train just keeps going, only pausing to occasionally fire, and keeps its momentum it will smash the opposition to pieces. I've been in a successful lemmingtrain (actually charging out in front spotting because I was in a PzIII at tier 6), and it was glorious, enemy team didn't know what hit it, cleaned up one flank with hardly any losses then cleaned up the rest of the map.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

It seems that's one of the most consistent signs of pub behavior. Pubs are just fine doing thoughtless things like sniping from a hill, but god help you if you're ever in a situation where an aggressive push will guarenteed win. It's every case when 4 of them cower behind a building and won't rush a single tank of their tier or below, or when they don't realize the TD just fired and is now vulnerable, or simply that some tanks can afford to take a hit, and will kill the enemy during the reload, etc.

It's almost funny how superior numbers is a liability when pubs are involved.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Vendetta wrote:
OmegaChief wrote: In other news I recently unlocked the T29 from my Jumo, I'm not sure if I should actually get it though, as I've never played on Tier 7 before, also I don't have the carry over stuff from the M6, opinions on it's it's worth it or should I just grind up free XP for a while?
You should probably go back and do the M6 for at least the 90mm. The stock 76mm on the T29 is basically a joke at tier 7.
The only issue is I'd have to actually unlock the M6 to do that XD

I havn't even got the T1 HT! I mean it's unlocked I think, but never bought.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Try to save Free XP for the 90mm on the T29 then. That tank is truly an abomination of failure with the 76mm.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Actually, I just loaded up now, seems I never researched the T1 HT when I had the Lee, but the M6 is apparently now buyable? Well I guess I can just pick up the M6 for grindint towards the 90mm then.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It would still be quicker going through that and the M6 than earning 14k in free experience unless you're willing to farm it on an elite and pay gold to convert it.

The T1 and M6 share their guns with the shermans, and their top engines with each other, so you'd have relatively little to do. Plus you could work on some crew skill, I wouldn't go into tier 7 with a gimpy crew.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

So how does this artillery thing work? Got the 122mm for the SU-26 today, but it just plinks away, nothing like the instant doom-from-above that happens to me every few matches.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Depends a lot on the Arty. Bigger ones are the laser-guided BOMB O' DOOM (tm). Lower tier won't do that. At least not in my experience, though granted I've only reached the Priest.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

SU-26 is my favorite arty in the game. The turret means less scatter, and with camo netting, the thing's damn near invisible. The trick with the 122 is to buy high explosive shells (the slightly more expensive kind) and maybe a couple of gold rounds (with credits) if you can afford them for the tier VI's you're sure to run into.

The SU-26 fires at a high arc, so try to drop it on their tracks or engine decking if you're not making an impression. I can't tell you how many Tier III-IV's I've instakilled with that.

Learn which spots of a tank's armor are weak, and remember that a crippled enemy tank can get taken out by tanks on your team more easily. Waiting for the aiming circle to close helps too.

Good luck!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Artillery is about patience. Lower-tier arty less so though. If your RoF is high enough you can spam shots, but as you go up don't take low-percentage shots. Always wait for the reticle to shrink down to its smallest - that extra half second is worth the increased accuracy.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Nephtys wrote:It seems that's one of the most consistent signs of pub behavior. Pubs are just fine doing thoughtless things like sniping from a hill, but god help you if you're ever in a situation where an aggressive push will guarenteed win. It's every case when 4 of them cower behind a building and won't rush a single tank of their tier or below, or when they don't realize the TD just fired and is now vulnerable, or simply that some tanks can afford to take a hit, and will kill the enemy during the reload, etc.

It's almost funny how superior numbers is a liability when pubs are involved.
Fuck, the amount of times that I went assault gun in my arty as a last ditch attempt to take out the remaining enemy or other high risk end-game manoeuvres.

It drives me mental when there's a game that is ours to win, but one stubborn fucking idiot just will not read the chat thread of everyone screaming: "GO GO GO! GO TO THEIR FLAG. GO TO THEIR FLAG. GO TO THEIR FLAG! FUUUUUCK! THEY HAVE ONE HEAVY AND IT'S WAAAAY OUT OF POSITION. TAKE YOUR FAST TD AND GET TO THEIR FLAG AND CAP." or some variation on that theme.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I had a funny one last night where we had practically stormed and capped their base, only for us to see they'd gone round to outs and done likewise. We were about to seal the deal when, suddenly, from nowhere, some doofus has his tracks blown off. Seems a lone Cruiser IV was left behind and taking pot shots at someone sitting in the cap fully exposed. Their damage cost us the winning cap by seconds.

Words don't describe it. From guaranteed win to failure in under thirty seconds and one shot.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Laser-guided. Heh. You've got jokes now. As much as artillery is the Finger of God when it hits you at high tiers, playing AS arty in anything above, say, the Priest is an exercise in frustration punctuated by flashes of elation when the random number generator finally rewards you. That's not to say I adore how artillery works in the game, but...please, don't even begin to call that shit laser-guided.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hey, I'm just calling it what I've heard others call it. I haven't actually seen anything bigger than T5 arty myself (though I did play with the GW Type E on the test servers, and it sure ain't laser-guided). *shrug*
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Yeah. The problem is that EVERYONE was camping. And it was on Murovanka (I believe that's the name) where you either have everyone on the enemy side camping hill, or going through the forest. So it is very hard to tell where they are, without someone scouting. Which ended up being me because the rest of the team were cowards.

EDIT: Now note, if they were doing what you said (sitting in the back covering a seemingly empty flank) then it wouldn't have been a problem. The problem was them all sitting in the back without anyone looking for the enemy. So I had no idea where said enemy was.
Unfortunately in a situation like that the best of the unattractive options is typically to continue to sit on overwatch and hope the enemy runs out of patience before you do. Even pub teams usually cover a flank to some degree, so waiting to see what happens is frequently the best thing to do. Of course, if your other flank is folding like wet cardboard, it kind of forces your hand.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

SU-26 is my favorite arty as well, but it needs a few gold rounds for those KV's. I love it, even after the nerf. I have Hummel and GwPanther, but they are not nearly as fun. The high arc of the SU-26 makes it possible to hit behind rocks. Glorious! GwPanther... Um, the flat arc makes it hard to hit stuff and reload and aim takes forever. Nah, SU-26 is funnier, but only use those 150cr shells. I have mine equipped with rammer, gun laying drive and camonet. Crew on 98% on first set of skills. When it reaches 100%, I'm thinking of giving my commander eagle eye. Can be nice to spot damage on enemy tanks and relay that to the team. Besides, I have sixth sense on many other tanks. Nice to try something new. :)

Sometimes, it's not enough to be good. I played on Province with my T18. Got 3 kills in the beginning, including one from spotting shell trace. Then I got killed. The rest of my team combined could not manage to get one more kill among them. Epic fail from noob team, but at least I did my part.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Don't give your SU-26's commander eagle eye. It only works for vehicles you are detecting yourself, and not for ones your allies are detecting for you. Now if you want to scout and arty (at the same time) that is another matter...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Just got another top gun in my SU-26. I have 12 top guns over 286 battles with that lovely thing now. Damaged two others, too. In the end, my team was me and an M3 Lee. The other team was one B2 capping our base and an M3 Lee that I had crippled previously defending their base. Our M3 was too far away, so I had to use my SU-26 as a TD and crawled up to our base. B2 saw me and shot, just to hit the ground before me. I aimed well and got him before he could shoot again. Our M3 had almost full health and had no trouble taking out the enemies crippled M3. It was a good and even battle.

Victory!
Battle: Cliff 5. februar 2013 22:13:38
Vehicle: SU-26
Experience received: 738
Credits received: 14 952
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

@Imperial528: Only those I detect myself? Not the ones I'm shooting myself?
I'm no good at scouting, and not with my SU-26, so... maybe something different.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Question: how does Sixth Sense actually alert you that someone is targeting your tank? I'm currently training my T-150 commander in it, but I don't know what the alert looks like.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Question: how does Sixth Sense actually alert you that someone is targeting your tank? I'm currently training my T-150 commander in it, but I don't know what the alert looks like.
Sixth sense is a perk, so your commander must have 100% skill in it for it to work.
You see it as a light bulb above your aim circle. It lits up 3 seconds after you're spotted (to give enemy at least a chance to shoot you), so when I see it, I move immediately.

Watch this video. 54 seconds into the battle, you'll see the light.

Please tell me that the perk Deadeye works for arty and it's HE shells...