World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Nephtys »

I believe Deadeye only works for AP and APCR shells.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The Infidel wrote: Please tell me that the perk Deadeye works for arty and it's HE shells...
Nope, Deadeye works for everything that is not HE. AP, APCR, or HEAT. It's only an increased 3% chance in the first place, so I wouldn't consider it worth it at all.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I knew that Sixth Sense wouldn't work till I got to 100%...I was just curious what it looked like :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Victory!
Battle: Port Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:21:39 PM
Vehicle: ARL V39
Experience received: 3,414 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 23,848
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

hard tank, but with some nice MM and luck it will play well.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Westfield Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:49:15 PM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 1,320 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 16,897

On the surface not a very impressive match. However what I did manage was this:

We were up in the hills north west of the town and the enemy wrapped behind us. All of the team but I pushed forward, and I went back to pursue a Hellcat, T49, and KV-1s. The T49 was my first target but I lost it after bringing it to 11%, arty killed the Hellcat (which I had damaged a lot earlier) and the KV-1s was at 19% when it killed our last arty as I charged down the hill after it. The 1s and I played circle-the-house for a bit before the T49 decided to try and snipe me. I tried to snipe back but missed, and the 1s came out from its hiding spot. However it didn't wait to aim and missed, so I had time to turn around and fire into its side, bringing it to 6%. Then the T49 poked out again, and this time I caught it. Then as the 1s was about to kill me, I finished it off. The two survivors of my team captured the enemy base, just as a surviving T1 Heavy showed up to cap ours. I pinged its front armor in defiance and it missed me by a long shot.

Very fun match.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Thanks for the arty tips, everybody - just had a very successful SU-26 run. Only killed an enemy arty, but I seriously damaged a couple T6 tanks. Got a nice chunk of XP for my troubles. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Bit OT, but does anyone see the appeal of World of Warships, and Warplanes? I can't see them having the depth or fun of WoT, given some of the videos I've seen. Warplanes seems like Sky Gamblers on iOS and Warships I can't even figure. The big game of Risk idea with Clan Wars sounds ambitious and interesting, even so.

On topic, the Lee is entirely underrated. I've been doing quite well after getting the better 75 mm on it, and engine.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I dunno. I quite liked the battleship fighting in the old Battlestations Midway/Pacific, so Warships might be fun.

Planes, not so sure, will depend on whether the core gamemode is fun, will need something beyond just dogfighting I think (though IIRC it has a ground attack component), because whilst that's fun for a bit I don't think it'll have the lasting appeal because it's less varied than what you get in tanks with terrain and cover and the advantages you get from that etc.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Warplanes doesn't interest me too much, since I have IL-2 if I want to play WW2 fighter combat. Warships on the other hand looks very interesting, since like Vendetta, I liked that part of Battlestations.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vendetta wrote:I dunno. I quite liked the battleship fighting in the old Battlestations Midway/Pacific, so Warships might be fun.

Planes, not so sure, will depend on whether the core gamemode is fun, will need something beyond just dogfighting I think (though IIRC it has a ground attack component), because whilst that's fun for a bit I don't think it'll have the lasting appeal because it's less varied than what you get in tanks with terrain and cover and the advantages you get from that etc.
I find battleships in Midway/Pacific to be flat and with not nearly enough OOOMPH, if you know what I mean. I expected them to roar, and feel like massive steel monsters when maneuvering.

Also the simplistic damage model really killed the feeling, to be honest.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It just strikes me as having a tank that isn't nearly as agile or fast, and with various parts of it shooting at will. Then it becomes almost a pure numbers thing. The videos of World of Warplanes just looked kinda dull. Like I say, it's fine in some quick shooter sim like Ace Combat or Sky Gamblers, but I doubt I could care to grind through that.

So, this World of Warcrafts gig will be just tanks for me for the time being. I'd kinda like more stuff in WoT, like armoured cars given the crappy light tanks for Britain, for instance, but that will likely not happen.

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bit OT, but does anyone see the appeal of World of Warships, and Warplanes? I can't see them having the depth or fun of WoT, given some of the videos I've seen. Warplanes seems like Sky Gamblers on iOS and Warships I can't even figure. The big game of Risk idea with Clan Wars sounds ambitious and interesting, even so.

On topic, the Lee is entirely underrated. I've been doing quite well after getting the better 75 mm on it, and engine.

I like WoWP because with the camera views and stuff it's the most strategic air combat game I've played, where it's so much about managing your plane and keeping track of the game. Sky Gamblers doesn't even look like it has a flight model.

Warships looks like an amazing game to play with teams, because it's about positioning your ship relative to enemies and managing stuff like incoming torpedoes. It may be meh in random games but clan wars should be amazing.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

WoWP needs a lot of work, but that's okay - it's still in closed beta. If they make it less grind-y and less identical it should be good, but as it is there's basically two things you can do, those being mount cannons and charge or mount bombs and.., well, bomb. The planes aren't different enough to make it feel like you're achieving anything when you get a new one.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My GOD I hate when the bloody thing lags! I didn't even get to do anything in my last battle with the KV-3 because the game lagged right out of the gate and would not stop :banghead:
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT:

Brit TD's in 8.4

Okay...so Brit's get their TD line in 8.4. Good enough, though I am a bit upset we still aren't getting the Leo line, at least the Germans are getting some new tanks in the form of the Pz1 and a new PzII model.

*goes to read the forum*

Someone linked the German tech tree...

German Tech Tree...WITHOUT the Leo line

WHY??!!!

Did they just remove it because they aren't planning on sticking the second TD/Med lines in any time soon? Or did the devs just say 'who cares about the Germans!!!' :(
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

What's the fuss about the Leo 1? I've never understood it. It's a Centurion MkI at T10! Yaay.

The UK TD line looks amusing enough to look at to take me back to TDs for a while. Sadly no Archer, but many tanks that think that symmetry is over-rated. We can fit more guns on when it's insane!
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Still would like armoured cars since the UK decided against light tanks after a while. After I've finished the American line, I'll probably go through Britain, then Germany and then the rest.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Victory!
Battle: Karelia 07 February 2013 19:20:57
Vehicle: TOG II*
Experience received: 2,054 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 35,022
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Didn't bounce a thing. All glory to the Navy! Spent a while excahnging shots with a Black Prince and a KV-1. Got the kill on the KV and a Tiger swept in for the Prince to my annoyance.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ghetto EDIT:

Brit TD's in 8.4

Okay...so Brit's get their TD line in 8.4. Good enough, though I am a bit upset we still aren't getting the Leo line, at least the Germans are getting some new tanks in the form of the Pz1 and a new PzII model.

*goes to read the forum*

Someone linked the German tech tree...

German Tech Tree...WITHOUT the Leo line

WHY??!!!

Did they just remove it because they aren't planning on sticking the second TD/Med lines in any time soon? Or did the devs just say 'who cares about the Germans!!!' :(
Well lets not get carried away by "OMG GERMAN BIAS" here. I'm sure it's more along the lines of "lets keep the tech tree to current rather than ferment endless "WHENWHENWHEN" questions".
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Vanas wrote:What's the fuss about the Leo 1? I've never understood it. It's a Centurion MkI at T10! Yaay.
Because the current game centers around mobility and dpm, and no German tier 10 has both, rendering them all largely useless in clan wars. The E-100 sees very limited use as a base camper or poor man's E4, but that's it. With the leopard I there will finally be a german tier 10 useful in CW for the first time in a long time.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Ah, right, the rush to T10.

Personally, I find T8's pretty much the optimal point to stop. Good tanks, decent matchmaking, less stupid arty barrages most of the time.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

AniThyng wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:
~Snip~
Well lets not get carried away by "OMG GERMAN BIAS" here. I'm sure it's more along the lines of "lets keep the tech tree to current rather than ferment endless "WHENWHENWHEN" questions".
Probably true...I'll admit I overreacted for a second there. Mostly for the reasons that Vortex pointed out. I have monkeyed around with the E-100 and Maus on the test servers, and did not enjoy the experience. So the Leo is the only German T10 I'm looking forward to, and the one I'm the closest to (since I have the DB already).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Have to say, the British TD line looks pretty disappointing. Basically nothing historical, ignoring the Archer and Achilles, and half the tree is prototypes for the Tortoise, so they're all going to be dead similar.

Edit: Also, all the stock configurations look horrifically undergunned. The AT-7, a tier 6 tank destroyer that weighs 57 tons and will almost certainly move like a dead slug in winter comes with a 6pdr as standard.
Last edited by Vendetta on 2013-02-07 06:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't particularly enjoy TD's so I doubt I'll do any more than monkey around on the test server with them.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well, the Achilles is a US TD (variant) and the Archer's probably making the design team weep and squint. Turn the tank around, guys.

Other than that, the tree looks amusing. The proto-Tortoises are gloriously bizzare to look at and we finally get our hands on the most produced armoured vehicle of the war. Face the fury of the Bren Carrier!