World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Vendetta »

Vanas wrote:Well, the Achilles is a US TD (variant) and the Archer's probably making the design team weep and squint. Turn the tank around, guys.
Yeah, and the German tech tree has three Czech tanks in it. I know they're planning a Lend Lease tree in the future with the Sherman Firefly and M3 Grant in, but really, would it have been too difficult to have more than one vehicle that existed in anything but paper or single digit prototypes in the entire damn tree?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

There is a point there. Can you imagine having to adjust tactics to where you HAVE to keep your rear-end towards the enemy? The Archer would certainly take some getting used to, that's for sure.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

It's based off a Valentine's hull, which is pretty uniformly armoured even at the back, so the only real difference I can think of would be that reverses faster than it goes forward.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*shrug*

I'm more talking about what the dev's are likely thinking. It wouldn't be to hard for us, but most WoT players would whine up and down the forums about having to adjust to it. At least in my experience.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Redshire Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:17:07 PM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 3,544 (fine for causing damage to allies: 4; x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 26,077 (fine for causing damage to allies: 300)
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

Seven kills, 1.3k damage, was one of two tier V tanks on our team. I killed a PzIV, M4, Hetzer, Chi-Ha, D2, Leopard and Luchs. Funny thing about the Hetzer was that it tried to ram me, and the Leopard was the last one on the enemy team, and as our A-20 was chasing it our T49 kept saying "Run Forrest run!". Fine was due to a simple ramming incident early in the match.

Very good match.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Vendetta wrote:Have to say, the British TD line looks pretty disappointing. Basically nothing historical, ignoring the Archer and Achilles, and half the tree is prototypes for the Tortoise, so they're all going to be dead similar.

Edit: Also, all the stock configurations look horrifically undergunned. The AT-7, a tier 6 tank destroyer that weighs 57 tons and will almost certainly move like a dead slug in winter comes with a 6pdr as standard.
That only matters if they don't have anything better already unlocked, which they probably do.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Vanas wrote:Other than that, the tree looks amusing. The proto-Tortoises are gloriously bizzare to look at and we finally get our hands on the most produced armoured vehicle of the war. Face the fury of the Bren Carrier!
You sure about that? The UC was certainly the most produced of all time, but it was also manufactured well after 1945. How do the wartime numbers compare to the T-34?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I understand everything every said about the VK 3601 now...

Battle: Himmelsdorf Friday, February 08, 2013 10:30:13 AM
Vehicle: VK 3601 (H)
Experience received: 5,583 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 42,031
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sniper, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

There was a reason I stuck with the thing for so long you know :P

What gun are you running though?
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Oh look, an arty weekend special with bonus xp for first wins. The perfect combination of lemmings and bullshit. Guess I won't bother logging in this weekend.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:There was a reason I stuck with the thing for so long you know :P

The best one. I upgraded guns before engines... the battle I posted was especially fun because my 6th kill, the Top Gun one, was a T-150 at 2% and my at 3 or 4% health killing each other simultaneously. I love it when that happens. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The 88mm? Never used it myself, I preferred the L/70. That being said, I like that gun more on the DB now, which helped in the choice to sell the 3601 and stick with the T-150.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

What didn't you like about it?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

What I didn't like about the 88? I found that it bounced shells too much compared to the L/70. I also preferred the faster reload on the L/70. And they aren't that different overall damage wise. The 88 has more alpha, but the L/70 has better pen/firing rate.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:There was a reason I stuck with the thing for so long you know :P

Konisch loaded entirely with APCR. Is it blatantly overpowered? Yes. Is it unfair? Yes. Is it insanely expensive? Yes. Does it get results? Oh god, yes.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Vendetta wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote: The hill is key in those map, best way to win is to send about 2/3 of your team up the hill with the rest heading to the cap just to reset them if they try to cap. Charging cap will just get you outflanked and picked apart from both sides. Where pubbies go wrong is that they get to the top of the hill and play peek-and-boom rather than pushing, but that's something pubbies do in all situations.
Yeah, that's why Lemmingtrains always fail. Because they stop at the first sign of resistance and try to fit 14 tanks into 5 pieces of cover, whereas if the whole train just keeps going, only pausing to occasionally fire, and keeps its momentum it will smash the opposition to pieces. I've been in a successful lemmingtrain (actually charging out in front spotting because I was in a PzIII at tier 6), and it was glorious, enemy team didn't know what hit it, cleaned up one flank with hardly any losses then cleaned up the rest of the map.
Won't pushing through organised defence leave you stuck between two enemy lines and the like?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Man, I finally got the second turret on the KV-3, and it looks...well...odd. I got so used to the stock turret between it and the T-150 (which was pretty much the same) that this sloped turret just looks weird. I'll get used to the bounciness though :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PainRack wrote: Yeah, that's why Lemmingtrains always fail. Because they stop at the first sign of resistance and try to fit 14 tanks into 5 pieces of cover, whereas if the whole train just keeps going, only pausing to occasionally fire, and keeps its momentum it will smash the opposition to pieces. I've been in a successful lemmingtrain (actually charging out in front spotting because I was in a PzIII at tier 6), and it was glorious, enemy team didn't know what hit it, cleaned up one flank with hardly any losses then cleaned up the rest of the map.
Won't pushing through organised defence leave you stuck between two enemy lines and the like?[/quote]

Depends on the map and the enemy's split. A good train going down the south lane on Karelia, for instance, has half the enemy team in front of it and can't be flanked by the other half because of the hill, so it overwhelms the enemy that went south with relatively few losses (because outnumbering an enemy in this game is very powerful). It only needs a couple of tanks dug in watching the north with arty support to stop a rush cap in return. The train can then split with a few going to the hill to support the north defence and a few to wipe the arty.

Open maps like Steppes it won't work because the enemies on the uncontested lane can quickly move to flank.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Glob, but I fucking hate AMX 40s. The number of times my Lee's rounds just bounce off is annoying. Still, they look quite cool.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Man, I just had a match that illustrates just how bad Russkie guns are accuracy wise. I was in my KV-3 aiming at a JagdPz IV (since it was the only thing I could see), and fired a shell at it. The shell sailed behind the TD, and I was thinking 'darn, I missed a perfect shot!'. But then I see the yellow text that says I destroyed something. The TD was still intact...so as it turns out, the shell that I thought missed hit a VK 2801, and one-shot it. Talk about luck :P

(especially considering I had no idea that guy was there)
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Glob, but I fucking hate AMX 40s. The number of times my Lee's rounds just bounce off is annoying. Still, they look quite cool.
Just wait until you meet Matildas and Valentines. They're AMX 40s who remembered to load live ammunition.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote: Just wait until you meet Matildas and Valentines. They're AMX 40s who remembered to load live ammunition.
Hilariously, I had a Matilda covering my flank while I duked it out with the AMX. She got taken out by an arty shell just before I bought it. I don't think the AMX got me, more like I saw it fire and a friend (probably a bastard Hetzer) popped me. The threat warning came from a different direction.

It was pretty funny watching this guy with 4% health in a Cruiser IV try to take out our last guy (an M37) only to get blow to hell in the last round fired by him at point blank. To rub salt in that wound, he lost the other 96% of his hit points to a Lorraine 39 surprise popping him in the side.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Glob, but I fucking hate AMX 40s. The number of times my Lee's rounds just bounce off is annoying. Still, they look quite cool.
Just wait until you meet Matildas and Valentines. They're AMX 40s who remembered to load live ammunition.
In the Lee I'd almost rather meet either of them than an AMX-40. They have tough armour and good weapons, but they've not got great sloping. The AMX has reasonable sloping as well due to its unconventional shape, which can make it bouncy to the Lee's 92 penetration.

(although, hilariously given what everyone says are the broken tanks, the Matilda is actually statistically one of the most OP in the game at the moment when you compare its winrate with the average winrate of the players using it)
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Man, I just had a match that illustrates just how bad Russkie guns are accuracy wise. I was in my KV-3 aiming at a JagdPz IV (since it was the only thing I could see), and fired a shell at it. The shell sailed behind the TD, and I was thinking 'darn, I missed a perfect shot!'. But then I see the yellow text that says I destroyed something. The TD was still intact...so as it turns out, the shell that I thought missed hit a VK 2801, and one-shot it. Talk about luck
I've done that and gotten a kill on an invisible tank in front of the one I was shooting at. Romulan cloaking fields can make you invisible, but the shells still hit...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

OK, just tried to use my SU-26 as a TD on a level surface for the first time after the nerf. It's ruined! Can't aim level with it anymore, so I can't hit anything close to me. :( Nooooo!
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Man, I just had a match that illustrates just how bad Russkie guns are accuracy wise. I was in my KV-3 aiming at a JagdPz IV (since it was the only thing I could see), and fired a shell at it. The shell sailed behind the TD, and I was thinking 'darn, I missed a perfect shot!'. But then I see the yellow text that says I destroyed something. The TD was still intact...so as it turns out, the shell that I thought missed hit a VK 2801, and one-shot it. Talk about luck :P

(especially considering I had no idea that guy was there)

I love it when that happens. I had a good one in the KV-2, back when it was just the KV. Fired a derp shot across the the curve in the low road on Abbey, missed the M6 I was aiming at, and one-shotted a SU-85 lurking out of sight behind him.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.