World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ryacko
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by ryacko »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
Broken wrote:Arty as it currently is, should not be in this game at all. It is a horrible mechanic and just makes the camo and spotting problems even worse to promote even more camping. The only real solutions are a no arty option or removal from the game, but WG will likely never do either. As for arty being helpless up close, that's a laugh at high tiers. Most arty seems to enjoy high camo values + sit in/behind a bush meaning they have a damn good shot at seeing and hitting anything that slips through the lines and killing it if it took any damage to get there, which again punishes aggressive play. Hell, back ages ago when I did play arty, my Hummel was almost as good a TD as an arty.
I really do not understand people who want arty removed entirely rather than tweaked for improvement, and I've played all of four matches with the things so it's not from a love of the vehicles. Unless I'm the most heavily armoured thing on the map and want to bask in invulnerability, I really prefer if there's an arty or two on each side (though more starts getting annoying) because if not it seems really easy for things to get out of hand or bog down without the ability to call in artillery where needed.

Also, Anithyng, if a win rate stays low over a decently large period of battles I don't quite think it's fair to blame fail teams :P
Artillery is the only reason why friendly fire is in the game, to prevent artillery from firing on tanks in a brawl. And technically artillery isn't tanks. Although Jogurt, I largely agree with you, although I wish artillery would be better distributed between games.
The hellcat line is pretty much better than or equal to the other tree's equivalent except at tier seven.
All tank lines have that one high-tier tank they want you to spend free exp to skip. Except maybe Soviet heavies.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

ryacko wrote: Artillery is the only reason why friendly fire is in the game, to prevent artillery from firing on tanks in a brawl.
Not that that stops them. Most pubbie arty I see never mark the guy they're shooting at and don't hesitate to take shots when allies are close.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'll admit that I often forget to mark targets when I'm in arty. But I never fire when a teammate is too close. The only time one of my shells will hit someone is if its an idiot in a fast tank who rams my target while the shell is still going down range (when I'm on the other end of the map, and thus the shell has a loooonnnggg travel time).
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Honestly I still can't figure out which button does the "attacking" chat.

However, whenever I am artillery, I do the "attention" thing and say I am attacking tanks in that area if a team mate is getting close to it.
PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:That said, the absolute limit on arty should be 3 to a team. Even as an arty player, I think it starts to get really silly with any more than that.
I consider more than two arty per match, myself as one of them, as too much competition. :P
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

F2 marks the target. It used to be T, but they changed it.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Ah.

I can't find it in the controls setup. I'd prefer to change it since my F keys require holding Fn.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Imperial528 wrote:Ah.

I can't find it in the controls setup. I'd prefer to change it since my F keys require holding Fn.
It's "Requesting Fire" in the settings, under the messages category. I remapped it to E since that's more convenient and nobody in their right mind uses auto-aim.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally got a BL-9 gun on my IS-3 and oh my, it's a whole different beast now :D
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:30:23 AM
Vehicle: Churchill I
Experience received: 1,053
Credits received: 22,300
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

I had three tanks come up behind me and try to kill me. They all died with only one actually damaging me. An SU-85 almost killed me, but I got a shot off and our KV-1 finished it.

I do love the rear armor on this thing. It's better than the front armor in a sense, as it doesn't have any holes. One time my ass held off a whole group of Type T-34s and T-34s (there were three or four of them) because they were in the "kill the heavy!" mindset and just kept trying to kill me, each shot going "plink! plink! plonk!" I had enough time to spin my turret around and kill a few of them, lol.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Vortex Empire wrote: It's "Requesting Fire" in the settings, under the messages category. I remapped it to E since that's more convenient and nobody in their right mind uses auto-aim.
There's auto-aim for arty? Anyway, auto-aim is useful for fast tanks that run the ol' circle routine, or figure of eight evasion manoeuvre. Otherwise, pfft.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Auto-aim also had a good use for long range fire against mobile targets back in the day before they improved the coding. Adequately leading a target that teleports at random instead of moving is an exercise in madness.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Imperial528 wrote:Honestly I still can't figure out which button does the "attacking" chat.

However, whenever I am artillery, I do the "attention" thing and say I am attacking tanks in that area if a team mate is getting close to it.
PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:That said, the absolute limit on arty should be 3 to a team. Even as an arty player, I think it starts to get really silly with any more than that.
I consider more than two arty per match, myself as one of them, as too much competition. :P

I say three, because that allows a full platoon.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I don't think the limit should be two, I just don't like having more than two. Three is okay, but it's also the number where wasted shells become common because the other guy shot your target first. Your target that was in the area you called out and waited ages until said target was in just the right spot.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:31:46 PM
Experience received: 1,322
Credits received: 27,345

Killed 5 tanks, in order: Churchill I, T-28, T14, KV-1s, and their other Churchill I. Damaged 9 tanks and detected 2.

1.3k exp closer to Churchill VII.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka 13 February 2013 21:08:59
Experience received: 2,378 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 27,711
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

You're right. I should use this tank more. Ended up leading a charge down the forest road. Luckily the enemy arty decided to bomb the Valentine next to me. The fools.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Abbey Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:17:52 PM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 1,800 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 25,383

Absolutely love it when the T14 pulls this off. Used a broken wall to prop up my front hull at a slightly better angle, and suddenly I am invincible!

I literally rolled up through the wall on the center's east passage and sat there firing and taking hits.

Old battle is old because I didn't want to pull a triple post.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

test server is up and the tier 10 british TD is the new king of tanks you don't want to be in front of when it fires, the rest of the line are sniper tanks. the existing german lights got nerfed by being moved up a tier while not getting any improvements, the 2801 even got it's speed cut and armor reduced while getting heavier for some reason.

the new low tier germanss are fun, one has a listed top speed of 79kph, making it statistically the fastest tank in the game.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:26:42 PM
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 3,513 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 44,265

I'm loving the free premium. Without it I would've made 5k. I made 20k. Top of the team with 781 exp, upped to 1171 by the premium and then of course the sweet x3 multiplier. Only killed an IS-3 but I brought a Lowe down to 1% by myself and did most of the damage the IS-3 had taken, also took a shot at a T69. Team won via base capture only two minutes after I died. 2.8k damage from 8 shots fired and 8 penetrations.

Also just had this nice one in my T14:

Victory!
Battle: Cliff Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:56:01 PM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 3,216 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 31,125
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:54:45 PM
Vehicle: Ram II
Experience received: 1,696
Credits received: 55,435
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Patrol Duty, Confederate, Sniper
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Marko Dash wrote:the existing german lights got nerfed by being moved up a tier while not getting any improvements, the 2801 even got it's speed cut and armor reduced while getting heavier for some.
Seriously? It's only advantage compared to the other tier 5 lights was the 105 derp. That was the only nerf it needed. I'll be next to useless now, never mind how screwed the luchs and leopard will be.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The WoT forums are having a bitchfest over the German lights now.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Blah. So they'll give the new Light 78kph, but won't give the Hellcat it's actual 92kph... :P
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Marko Dash wrote:the existing german lights got nerfed by being moved up a tier while not getting any improvements, the 2801 even got it's speed cut and armor reduced while getting heavier for some.
Seriously? It's only advantage compared to the other tier 5 lights was the 105 derp. That was the only nerf it needed. I'll be next to useless now, never mind how screwed the luchs and leopard will be.

The 2801 quite literally was tier 5-6 tournament teams. As far as tiering goes, the actual tier of the tank matters only to tournaments and tank companies, for all the rest matchmaker tier is what matters. And the 2801 is OP as shit for tournaments and companies while hucking heat. Also, it beats the Chaffee by a good amount in speed, it only loses to the 50-2 which loses a lot of speed in turns and is a fixed purpose scout run tank that just isn't that survivable doing that.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Oh it absolutely needed a nerf, this just seems like a bit of an excessive one to me. Can't be sure till I try it myself of course.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, this was unexpected.

Wargaming buys Gas Powered Games
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.