World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

So they've bought a licence for the Havok engine (so I recall) and now they've bought Chris Taylor's last sunken company? Huh.

Didn't they also acquire another company lately?

In other news, watching Girls Und Panzer makes me want to paint my tanks very, very bright colours.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:The WoT forums are having a bitchfest

The WoT forums are always having a bitchfest about something or other. Usually gold ammo, to be honest.

Also, 5539 damage in a match in my Black Prince, 76 shots fired, 52 hits, 42 penetrations. (Only one kill, but hit 11 of the enemy)

And we lost because I ran out of AP and only had HE left with 30% health on an enemy Tiger P left, reckon I could have DPMd him down if I had a few more shells left.

Not carrying HE any more, the occasional troll hit on an arty or hellcat isn't worth it.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Black Prince makes grinding through the Heavy Churchill worth it. I've also got good news about the Caernarvon.

I think the only things I keep HE in at the moment are the Churchill I for some reason and a single round in the Type 59. Always keep the last one for yourself. Especially in the Black Price and Caernarvon, AP and a few APCR will get you though most matches. And the Caernarvon doesn't even really need that.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I carry 5 HE shells in each tank, just in case I need to reset a cap and AP or APCR aren't enough to pen them. I haven't had to use a single one. Ever.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

It tends to be an alright idea at low tier in case you come across a KV you just can't penetrate or something, but I tried the tactic with my KV-3 once and while my AP shells couldn't penetrate the front of that tank the HE I lobbed at it did an astounding 0-15 damage per hit. I figure if you need to penetrate something urgently it's better to just bite the bullet and get APCR.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Oh it absolutely needed a nerf, this just seems like a bit of an excessive one to me. Can't be sure till I try it myself of course.
With it getting an MM buff, it's a tier six light. It won't get games with tier nines and tens alone or just tier tens anymore. So compare it to the 13 75 and T21 and it looks awesome.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

xthetenth wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Oh it absolutely needed a nerf, this just seems like a bit of an excessive one to me. Can't be sure till I try it myself of course.
With it getting an MM buff, it's a tier six light. It won't get games with tier nines and tens alone or just tier tens anymore. So compare it to the 13 75 and T21 and it looks awesome.
Hm. Interesting. I'm gonna miss that speed though.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also: The Tier X British tank destroyer has more boom than just about anything. 310 penetration and 1150 damage with AP, or 275pen for 1750 damage firing HESH.

2 rounds a minute though and accuracy is only .4, so missing will be painful.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Vendetta wrote:Also: The Tier X British tank destroyer has more boom than just about anything. 310 penetration and 1150 damage with AP, or 275pen for 1750 damage firing HESH.

2 rounds a minute though and accuracy is only .4, so missing will be painful.
Holy shit.

With that reload though, it'll get one shot off before it gets focused out by any semi-competent team.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Possibly, it's relatively poorly armoured, but it does also have a turret, which means it has opportunities that the other hugemongous gun on the Jagdpanzer E100 doesn't.

Also, you only get 12 rounds.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

How's the gun depression?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

That kind of information doesn't generally get worked out for a little while, as it's not in the published stats.

On the other hand, the tree also has some other crazy business in it. 203 armour at tier 5 anyone?
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:In other news, watching Girls Und Panzer makes me want to paint my tanks very, very bright colours.
If it was featured in the show, then there's a skin mod for it, and there are even quite a few for vehicles not featured in the show. However, with the absence of the Type 89 I-Go and Type 3 Chi-Nu from the game so far, the modders have had to substitute other tanks as surrogates for those.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:How's the gun depression?
Profoundly meh. Also, that HESH pen isn't as good as it looks because hitting spaced armor or tracks kills the damage. If you hit flat side armor, you do stupid damage but unless you're flanking it isn't consistent.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:29:09 PM
Vehicle: Churchill VII
Experience received: 4,041 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 29,503 (fine for causing damage to allies: 45)
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Very good match. Pointed self at enemy and moved forward. Our team steamrolled right over theirs, 15 to 2 kills. I got three kills.

Now here's the thing I don't get:

I should by all rights have gotten a sniper medal. All 16 of my shots hit, 13 penetrated. I did 1.4k damage. An enemy T14 got the sniper medal, however it only had 10 hits and only 808 damage. Even if every single one of those hits was maximum damage, it would only total to 1,380 damage. Unless it fired HE, however I doubt that as it had 8 penetrations. However that should not matter as I fired and hit more shots than the T14.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:28:03 PM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 4,098 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 37,794
Battle Achievements: Invader

Woo, second ever invader medal.

Also was at 89 hp at the end, and somehow, in a match full of TDs, I survived. I was the only heavy there. Now they did have two M7s as their top but they had more TDs than us, and our tier IV arty was a retard who let both itself and the tier 3 arty get killed towards the end, leaving it down to four v four. A T-34 and I went towards their base, taking out their artillery defenders, and their remaining SU-85 and Hetzer killed our suriving SU-85. The Hetzer, however, went to stop cap. It got tracked in the field and I took pot shots at it while I capped. T-34 killed it after I did some damage, just as I captured their base.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Vendetta wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:The WoT forums are having a bitchfest

The WoT forums are always having a bitchfest about something or other. Usually gold ammo, to be honest.

Also, 5539 damage in a match in my Black Prince, 76 shots fired, 52 hits, 42 penetrations. (Only one kill, but hit 11 of the enemy)

And we lost because I ran out of AP and only had HE left with 30% health on an enemy Tiger P left, reckon I could have DPMd him down if I had a few more shells left.

Not carrying HE any more, the occasional troll hit on an arty or hellcat isn't worth it.
Is it that good huh? I got the experience, perhaps it's time I should get me some money as well
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It can be. It's like all the other Churchills in that sometimes everything bounces off forever and you can pound enemies flat, and it can be an unholy terror in tier 7 matches, but when you meet things that can reliably penetrate it it has more trouble.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Wow

So apparently on the test server the E-50 is getting its gun depression reduced to fucking 0 and the E-50M is getting it reduced to 2 over their frontal arcs. Not for the sake of balance, but to stop it from clipping through that round bit sticking out of the hull and the vision slits. No buff to compensate. Well, if that stays I'll be selling my E-50 and quitting that line. It won't be able to aim at any tanks lower plate from any distance on level terrain without turning sideways.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

So, due to almost the entire test server being SU100Y right now, it's impossible to really gauge most of the UK TDs. The Tortoise, however, is glorious. I think I'm in love. As expected, it's the AT15-A's older and punchier brother. And with 2k HP, it's mighter than most T9 tanks too.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Wow

So apparently on the test server the E-50 is getting its gun depression reduced to fucking 0 and the E-50M is getting it reduced to 2 over their frontal arcs. Not for the sake of balance, but to stop it from clipping through that round bit sticking out of the hull and the vision slits. No buff to compensate. Well, if that stays I'll be selling my E-50 and quitting that line. It won't be able to aim at any tanks lower plate from any distance on level terrain without turning sideways.
So they are going to incur the wrath of everyone who drives those tanks to address a relatively minor graphical error most people probably don't even notice? I'm glad they are so fastidious with the appearance of things where there are other issues to be addressed...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: South Coast Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:26:57 PM
Vehicle: M2 Medium Tank
Experience received: 525
Credits received: 12,639

Oh yes, small tanks are fun to troll with. Did 452 damage, more than anyone else on the team (including both of the KV-1 s). Did 242 to a stug caught with an M10, killed a stug that tried to kill me but let me get behind it, and did 199 to a BDR G1B that forgot I existed until I got behind it. Then it killed me.

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:37:43 PM
Vehicle: M2 Medium Tank
Experience received: 866
Credits received: 15,557
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sniper, Sharpshooter, Reaper, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

This one was really nice.

Noobs abound in tier 3 match, so I used some cover to go beside them and around their rears to derp them, getting 1,028 damage in. Woop woop!

Oh, and the player below me in exp only got 552. All ten of my shots hit, too.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

FSTargetDrone wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Wow

So they are going to incur the wrath of everyone who drives those tanks to address a relatively minor graphical error most people probably don't even notice? I'm glad they are so fastidious with the appearance of things where there are other issues to be addressed...
Okay, seems SerB confirmed that it'll be getting its normal depression back in the next public test. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea in the first place, but whatever, I'm just glad I can keep it. It's a damn good tank.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Defeat
Battle: Abbey Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:43:17 PM
Vehicle: KV-3
Experience received: 554
Credits received: 26,308

This was a loss, but it made me fall in love with the second 122mm on the KV-3. I held the flank by the river all on my own, against two Panthers, an IS, a VK 3001 (P) and a 3601. Killed one of the Panthers, and both VK's, while getting the second Panther and IS down to very low health. If my team hadn't collapsed and let an IS flank me, this would have been a GREAT victory.

(though the shell cost certainly hurts...need to be very careful what I shoot at now)

EDIT: Oh, and I did 2,647 damage.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT:

Defeat
Battle: Fjords Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:33:10 PM
Vehicle: KV-3
Experience received: 536
Credits received: 23,951
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter

This just goes to show how a bad team can shoot a great player in the foot. I won't say I'm great at this game (I'm not) but when I do THIS well, and still lose, it is very annoying.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE