World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Vendetta »

The new shell tracers have the advantage of looking a lot more like actual tank shells though, and not like a graphical effect from 2005.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

You can still counterbattery. You just need to know generally where the artillery is set up.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

There was a period without tracers while they implemented the current system which is what I believe he's talking about.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

So, the AT 2.

450HP. Potential damage taken in my last match: 5,737. 34 hits recieved. Yeah, that'll do nicely.

I've decided to roll around with the AT howitzer in an attempt to be a threat to other AT 2s. I mean, there's a chance I might actually do damage to them.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Maybe I should be glad I'm only playing at Tiers 2 and 8 right now...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Course, the AT series all suffer from a critical weakness. Too. Slow. If you get flanked, it's over, and they can't react to the changing battlefield. If a flank that you're not on falls, there's nothing you can do about it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Certainly tells me that if I ever play with my T-150 or KV-1 again anytime soon (not likely with how much grinding the KV-4 and DB need, and how much I'm trying to get the BEST SCORE EVAH in the Pz I) I just need to go for flanks that are open areas and thus less likely to have a (competent) AT player.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Vanas wrote:So, the AT 2.

450HP. Potential damage taken in my last match: 5,737. 34 hits recieved. Yeah, that'll do nicely.

I've decided to roll around with the AT howitzer in an attempt to be a threat to other AT 2s. I mean, there's a chance I might actually do damage to them.

And then people shoot the commander's cupola.

Now, it's small and hitting it is unreliable, so face to face in a KV-1 it might get to DPM you down, but if you're not a moron (most people are) it will suffer for it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I think I did that to an AT-8 (?) in my DB the last time I played it. Course, an AT-15 (non-prem one) was shooting me in the side, negating my absurdly bouncy slope.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Oh, the cupola is going to be vulnerable on all of these. Not having them is a redeeming feature of the heavies, but the assault tanks more than make up for it.
Luckily, all but the AT 2 should have ranged capability. The 2's main gun at the moment is the AT howitzer, so getting close is important in order to actually hit things.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You know what gives me a never-ending supply of amusement in pub matches? Idiots who ask for modern tanks. To me, modern tanks like the Abrams or T-90=sniped from across the map and one-shot. Even more so than usual.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT: And this:

Victory!
Battle: Karelia Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:18:17 PM
Vehicle: ELC AMX
Experience received: 1,744 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 22,925
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Is why I love the ELC.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:You know what gives me a never-ending supply of amusement in pub matches? Idiots who ask for modern tanks. To me, modern tanks like the Abrams or T-90=sniped from across the map and one-shot. Even more so than usual.
It's the Tiger Syndrome: the unspoken assumption is that the whiners would be the ones to have an Abrams while everybody else drove T-54s, so that they'd be Gods Of The Battlefield, rather than facing Challenger 2s, T-90s and Leopard 2A4s...

Similar to how people expect their Tigers to destroy everybody...but then it turns out they have to face other Tier VII tanks.

Of course demanding modern tanks is stupid for other reasons, too (the game is built around maneuver, shooting for weakspots and terrain for one), but I'd hazard a guess this is the primary reason why people whine about it at all.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I still don't master the IS-4 very well, but I'm often among the 5 best in dealing damage even if I don't have a good win rate with it. It's a tricky tank to master and all those heavy arty that comes with its battles are a challenge, too. IS-3 is my favorite heavy so far. I've also done some really good battles when I mix and think I play IS-3 when I play IS-8. That's quite interesting, because the IS-3 is best not to angle while IS-8 should be angled. I'm trying to drive IS-8 like a heavy medium because of its weak armor and powerful engine.

E-75... Meh... Never really got under the skin of that thing. I'm thinking about retraining my crew back to the Tiger II. I had more fun with that.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Is there any way to check what the current highest XP in a tank is? Mostly curious since with the fact I already have Ace Tanker in the Pz I, I have no way of knowing how high I have to go to secure at least a Type 62 in this contest.

On a related subject...HOLY MOTHER OF GOD do people get high XP values in the Pz I C. I mean, 1,600+ XP in a Tier 3? My God...it shows I made the right choice in sticking with the Pz I-basic since I can't even touch scores like that.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I got out of a great training room last night. A few rounds of 10v10 pz 1cs only. It became an suppressing fire/leapfrog movement game on Himmselsdorf. Rather hilarious. I must have spent 400 bullets.

Also for luls, 5v5... with the UI turned off. No situational awareness or accuracy.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Victory!
Battle: Mountain Pass 14 March 2013 15:24:33
Vehicle: AT 2
Experience received: 2,238
Credits received: 36,364
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sniper, Reaper, Cool-Headed, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

No messing around here. As one of the largest things on the map, it's hilarious. I killed a PzIV and an III/IV before following a StuG and Valentine AT into the enemy base. Sadly, the StuG was killed by the enemy's pair of Val ATs and our Val AT was killed by the arty and a T-50 teaming up. To cut a story short, I killed everything there and a passing StuG while taking a shocking ~15Hp damage. The spall liner was the best thing I ever picked up for this.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Victory!
Battle: Redshire Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:01:24 PM
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 4,792 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 57,924
Battle Achievements: Radley-Walters's Medal, Steel Wall, Top Gun, Defender, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

I will never understand why this isn't universally agreed upon to be the best tier 8 heavy. Sure, it has the same 105mm as the T29, but everything else about it is even better, and 198mm of pen is enough for 90% of targets. For the rest, well, that's what APCR is for.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

So coming from a german/US med tank background, what's the best way to play a Luchs and Leopard? I'm just going up that line because I want to try something different from my usual tanks, and because it looks like it might also lead in to some postwar german tankls
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I will never understand why this isn't universally agreed upon to be the best tier 8 heavy. Sure, it has the same 105mm as the T29, but everything else about it is even better, and 198mm of pen is enough for 90% of targets. For the rest, well, that's what APCR is for.
Because people will never agree on anything. Personally, I don't like the 32. It's nothing concrete, I just don't like the way it feels like an utterly pointless machine. It's just a 29. That's about the sum of it.

I mean, the other T8s I drive regularly, the Carenarvon and the King Tiger, both feel different from their predecessors. The King Tiger's capable of actually getting into a slugging match with things and winning, while the Caernarvon can perform a hitherto unknown feat amongst UK heavies; it can move. In comparison, the 32 feels flat? It's boring to me. I've spent a hundred or so matches grinding up the 29 which eventually grew on me to a tank I almost liked, so I upgrade... to the same tank, but a tier higher.

Then again, I tend to drive things based on feel rather than 'MUST GET MORE EFFICIENCY!' and happily tool around in a Crusader. Not because it's any good, but because that little thing is so much fun to drive.
AniThyng wrote:So coming from a german/US med tank background, what's the best way to play a Luchs and Leopard? I'm just going up that line because I want to try something different from my usual tanks, and because it looks like it might also lead in to some postwar german tankls
I can't speak for the Luchs, but from what I've heard the Leo is pretty much a passive scout. Find soemwhere to hide and spot things and you'll do your job nicely. It's also possibly the most adorable tank in the game.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Wow, I just made a kill while I was afk :D
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Man there's a hilarious thread in the US forum where a poster is whining that he doesn't like the implications of putting the Leo I in the Nazi tree. Because FRG continuity with Nazi Germany something something really bad implications something. I guess it will break his heart to learn that there were more than a handful of ex-Wehrmacht officers that rose to very high positions in the Bundeswehr after the war...

I suppose one thing people might want to think about is the choice of flag for the "German" tree, if people care at all. At least they intend to put the postwar shaped cross rather then the WW2 style one.

But I digress. I've been playing the Luchs and Leopard alternately and when I get a sucky game and die early, I earn blag experience, but in a good game with good arty and TD teamates, my goodness, i can earn XP on par with my best medium and heavy tanks. I'm sold on Light Tank scouts now :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

One of the most stupid XP moments I earned in my Sherman. Outflanking the enemy, my team mate bunker down to "snipe" at the enemy, and I decided to scout in front and outflank the only visible tank on the screen.

Oops. Its turns out there was an entire line of enemy tanks behind him, along the path I chose with a direct LOS to me in the open.......

I was second highest XP scorer in the match because I spotted a shit ton of tanks, earned that small XP bonus for being the first one to spot them, my teamates blew them away giving me that shared XP . All this in return for firing one shell that bounced off:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Just curious Painrack, do you play on the US server as well or on the SEA server? Does anyone here play on the SEA server?

(I'm kiwi_mango btw )
I do know how to spell
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

AniThyng wrote:Just curious Painrack, do you play on the US server as well or on the SEA server? Does anyone here play on the SEA server?

(I'm kiwi_mango btw )
SEA server. But I'm now extremely casual...... I spend too much time playing games as it is.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner