World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by darthdavid »

Something funny happened yesterday...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I hate the damn things.

HATE THEM
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

You know, I really like the Caernarvon. I've got a 43% win rate in it.
I really enjoy the tank, but for some reason, teams melt around it. And it doesn't have the armour to stand up to enemies at close range, which I am typically forced into by Useless Fuckers. I don't get a chance to leverage the strengths of the gun if my team is a puddle of fail washing around my ankles.
Honestly, I find it a miracle if I actually kill anything before I'm overwhelmed.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I love the KV-4 for that very reason. Even if the team is horrid, it has the armor and firepower to turn the tide...provided I don't get flanked by guys who can pen said armor, since my turret traverse is somewhere around an American TD :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

IS-3. Keep losing games with 3k damage.

Horrific winrate. Horrific teams. Yet, my performance is always good. The thing's cursed :P

Yesterday, I saw an E8 Sherman brought in by a failplatoon beat an E-75 on my team. It made me want to cry.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I now cackle in glee everytime I end a match in the top 3 scores with a Leopard LT. It's hilarious. This is a nerfed tank?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

I am getting so sick of Abbey and Lakeville.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the maps themselves. Those are actually two of my favourite maps... when I have a good team. That's turning into a rare occurrence.

On Abbey, there are essentially four "lanes' across the map. One on each side, and two in the middle. On every match I have on this map, my team will ignore one or even two lanes, leaving me to try to cover one all by my lonesome (while frequently being mid or even bottom tier), and then react with shock when I inevitably die and they get flanked. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one on my team with a god damned minimap.

On Lakeville, the stupidity just feels worse. For some reason, there's a lot of people out there who think pushing valley is a good idea and a sure fire path to success. Those people are morons. Valley is too defensible from both sides. A few tanks can actually hold against a much larger push, especially against pubbies. I've seen very few successful pushes through valley. Town is where the match is won or lost.

But try getting your team to understand that. Pubbies don't often listen to pre-match battle plans, but if someone says "push valley" two thirds of your team will listen to that order. Today, after that was said, I piped up with "push town. Valley too defensible." I proceeded to be called a noob by several people and then watched as my team got destroyed by the enemy team that went through town because only me and another guy tried to hold it.
AniThyng wrote:I now cackle in glee everytime I end a match in the top 3 scores with a Leopard LT. It's hilarious. This is a nerfed tank?
It was the VK2801 that was nerfed. The only nerf the Leopard got was being bumped up a tier, but since it gets scout matchmaking anyway that doesn't really matter. It got a bunch of buffs to compensate for the tier bump though. Before, it was more of a pain to drive than anything.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

PeZook wrote:I hate the damn things.

HATE THEM
I'll never sell my T49. It's the ultimate glass cannon
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Maybe I just suck (lately, that's probably more true than it used to be :P), but I've had T-49s bounce shots from my KV-1S. And not that rarely, either.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

PeZook wrote:Maybe I just suck (lately, that's probably more true than it used to be :P), but I've had T-49s bounce shots from my KV-1S. And not that rarely, either.
The armor is very well sloped and anything past a certain angle will autobounce, so it's not surprising that it happens from time to time. And it probably happens less than you think, you just remember it more than it was because blowing things to bits in one shot with the KV-1S's gun is 'business as usual' and doesn't really stick in your brain but bouncing of things with paper thin armor lodges right into your memory cause it's so weird.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

luck, remember there's a sherman IRL that managed to bounce a 128mm round.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Temjin wrote: It was the VK2801 that was nerfed. The only nerf the Leopard got was being bumped up a tier, but since it gets scout matchmaking anyway that doesn't really matter. It got a bunch of buffs to compensate for the tier bump though. Before, it was more of a pain to drive than anything.
Hmm. Looks like I'll have some choice to make when I get enough XP for the VK2801, namely should i ditch my Luchs and transfer crew to it. I really do enjoy driving both the Luchs and the Leo with that autocannon - it's especially satisfying when I pump 300 points of burst damage into a heavy or med and blow it up - more than once I've done it while waiting for the heavy/med to rush out into the street, which makes it doubly tense because I must get all those shots in before he can fire.

On a similar note, I rebought my PzIII since there's a credit special on it for the weekend. It was one of my best tanks by W/R when it was my highest tier tank oh so long ago, and I still remember it fondly. It's diminished now that I've gotten used to the Leo and other tanks, and the peashooter it has is kinda weak, but it's still a joy to play. I rammed headfirst into a charging T49 because it was the last enemy and i had nothing to lose - the collision was hilarious, the PzIII actually bounced up and back from the T49 to land facing 90deg away. Got a kamikaze medal out of it and survived with 3% health. Tank heavens for no realism, the crew would be spattered all over the insides of the tank even if the tank didn't blow up with that crazy impact XD

There was also a horrifying head on collision where my Leopard and an enemy ELC AMX rammed head on, I can't remember if it was on purpose or we both simply had too much speed to even bother trying to turn away. Mutual destruction ensued.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

This weekend's special has also led to me picking up a spare JagdPanther rather than the AT 8 that I was looking at. Sadly, I forgot that my JP isn't elite yet as I'd picked up the JP II rather than the Ferdi.
Still, despite that mild disappointment, I forgot that the JagdPanther is actually a really really nice TD to drive. It's a nice blend of speed and gun with the barest hint of decent armour that might almost be useful if you can angle the TD and still bring the gun to bear. (Nope.) It's a keeper; no-one enjoys a decently concealed 105 that keeps sneaking away after the shot to evade arty fire.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

OMG! Pz1.C so OP. Nerf it now!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You are reinforcing my choice to stick with the Pz I-basic :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Jesus Christ, man, that's some serious scouting.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, it was on Malinovka, he scuttled around to bushes north of the lake and lit up targets trying to reach the hill which me, the T29, and his platoonmate blasted, then once they'd been smacked around and their hill group was dealt with (apart from an IS-8) he pushed on and spotted all their arty, then everyone turned around and finished the IS-8.

I reckon of the 3000 damage I did he spotted around half to 2/3 of it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

While I'm not getting the Ausf C. until after the contest is over (I am fairly confident I'm at least getting some gold...what are the odds that over 100 people have eclipsed 1k XP in a rather unpopular Tier 2?), I am doing fairly well scouting in the Pz I-basic. All five of my Patrol Duty medals are in that tank, and I didn't even get one (as that shows) until after I started playing the Pz I. I love the thing, its my favorite low-tier now, even if the gun is horridly anemic against Pz II's and T18s.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

On Malinovka? Holy shit, I could see that on Himmelsdorf, but that's fucking impressive either way.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Malinovka encounter. It helped him in a big way by funneling enemies.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:shock: My dear Lord :shock:

That is...whoa...
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Really good match. Better than I would have done in that situation probably.

Although, he was really helped by the fact that there was only one tier 10 tank per team in the match, with another tier 9 each, in a predominately tier 8 match. If he didn't do well, I would have been surprised. Just wouldn't have expected him to do that well.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

9 fucking kills with arty! Fuck Yeah! Like a Boss! I was very close of getting 10 kills, but missed a shot and a team mate took him out.
Victory!
Map: Abbey
Date: 26. mars 2013 00:03:09
Vehicle: SU-26
Exp: 948 + Credits: 18 709
Achievements: : Top Gun
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Monday, March 25, 2013 8:44:05 PM
Vehicle: M6
Experience received: 2,410 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 27,740
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Damaged 6, destroyed 2, 3k potential damage taken, 2.3k damage done.

Oh, I do love this tank. Top of the match exp wise in a tier 7 match. Bounced a lot of shots from a 1S and a KV-3, too. Also ate a lot of shells with my tracks.