World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Vortex Empire »

In other news, the T71 is hilarious. Nothing quite like screaming in behind a Type 59 and pumping six 76mm shells into it's engine in a few seconds. 90% of the time you light them on fire.

Definitely going to enjoy the T54E1 more though, the T71 is ridiculously squishy.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

And here I thought the T71 line was supposed to be bad. :D
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

T71 is borderline overpowered. It's at the same tier as the AMX 13-75, but it's smaller, the gun does more damage and has way better penetration meaning that more of the burst is going to be effective, better elevation and depression so it can be used in more situations, and all for a tiny drop in speed and HP and a small increase in drum reload.

Really it should match its better gun with a 5 round drum not a 6 round, it would still probably on average do more than the 13-75 because 175 pen is significantly better than 144, but it wouldn't be as much better than it is now
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, we have official screenshots of the new tanks (and a new tank period in the 2001 D...which looks like a Pz IV). Buuuttt...

VK 3001 D(B)

VK 3002 DB

:?:

Is it just me, or do those two look identical to each other. I honestly can't tell them apart...

EDIT: I mean, I already have the original DB, so it doesn't effect me. But that seriously looks like they put the 3002 DB a tier lower with slight changes. Like the machine gun port being gone. If they don't change the old DB any, that seems...rather cheap really.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Yeah I can't imagine why the 3001D is needed. Aren;t there enough German T6's as it is?

Ditto the VK2001D, which is as far as I can tell, basically a PZIV with a PZIII turret.

Ah well, the more the merrier. Bring on the Indien Panzer! Because it looks like a hell of a long grind to the 172000 xp needed to get the Leo I PT. BTW, what's the top gun on the T9 Leopard going to be?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The idea of the 3001 D is doubly hilarious since a lot of the DB players have been saying it needs to be a T6 instead of a Tier 7. Well...now you have it. :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote: Is it just me, or do those two look identical to each other. I honestly can't tell them apart...
That'd be because they're two design submissions for the same spec. They literally are two versions of the same thing. The reason it's being included is to have the Daimler branch start by itself rather than dropping off the Henschel tree halfway through.

Also, it looks like the in game names are being changed to represent the actual design documents, so it'll be the VK 30.01 D when it appears. (roughly: Prototype, 30 ton, version 1, by Daimler)
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Come back to WoT after a long hiatus to discover that the Leo 1 will soon be available. I now have a goal in this game. Had to rebuy the PzIII to research the PzIII/IV, so to that end...

Victory!
Battle: Widepark Wednesday, April 03, 2013 12:20:30 PM
Vehicle: PzKpfw III
Experience received: 1,278
Credits received: 23,593
Battle Achievements: Reaper, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

I forgot how much I loved this thing.

As for the new tanks themselves, they annoy me. Or, more specifically, the Leopard 1 annoys me. The Soviet tree gets the T-62, the Brits get the Centurion 7/1, and now the Germans get the Leopard 1. Yet Wargaming continually says that putting the M60 in the game would be unbalancing. I'm not crying favortism, because it's not really, but I am calling bullshit.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Erm, there have already been screens of the M60 leaked from the supertest. The M60 is coming, along with the VK7201 and Object 907 as some sort of special reward tanks for something.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Yeah, I caught that. "reward tanks" rather than putting them in the tech tree. WoT's developers are also being excruciatingly accurate with the Leo1's stats and abilities, which means it's hull can be panned on the side by a tier 3, and the front by a tier 4 TD. Not that I care, I'm still going for one. My gunnery is good enough that I get 90% of my kills from absurd range.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The fact that it's got an even more accurate L7 variant than the FV4202 should indicate that you should be engaging enemies from way over there anyway, rather than letting them get close enough for any of this rude shooting back behaviour.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Steppes Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:47:34 PM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 633
Credits received: 17,467

While not my best showing, this match is ironic considering I ran into Esquire. Small world :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT:

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:40:20 PM
Vehicle: Matilda
Experience received: 671
Credits received: 15,564
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Best battle in the turtle so far. And really only because I face-hugged a 107mm armed KV-2 and pumped somewhere around 15-17 shells into his armor :P
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Had a few interesting games latly, in one I was low tiered in my T-34 on a defence match on sigfried line, I decided to do something stupid;

I charged right to one of the enemy spawn points, to say that they wern't expecting a lone T-34 to come crashing in there was an understatment, a SU 85 and a SU were dead before I even got any return fire, took a bit of damage downing a KV-1S and then with about 20 HP left I was running circles around a Churchil 1 and almost killed him until a baraage of the entire enemy arty and some fire from a Hellcat who'd slipped back from the offensive took me down. Hilariously my team was 3>2 up at that point, all because of me, and they ultimatly won that match!

Not so good have been my forays into the british TD line, up to the Valentine AT now, and I'm realising "Wait I havn't really driven a TD except for the Lee" that said in my last 3 matches I've got 3 kills in the thing even if I do drive more like an assault gun, only one one of the matches thanks to disintergrating teams though!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've found that scouts and TDs are not for me. I'm decent at Arty and Mediums (though the DB seems cursed with fail-teams), and heavies are where I really shine. Which is why I'm looking forward to moving on to the Church from the Matilda.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Honestly, I found the Matilda to be the peak of the British heavy line. It was pretty fun to play and very easy to get a phenomenal win rate in, so much so that when I elited my Churchill I went back and rebought a Matilda instead of moving on.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Matilda's awesome largely because its best gun can actually penetrate a lot of things.

Also, I used to be exceedingly bad at scouts, but I'm beginning to find I'm decent at scouting even with non-scout tanks.

Finally, I had a mad match last night in a Type 59. Sped solo through an enemy formation including a Tiger, an IS3, a T34 Heavy, and a TD without getting hit while punching half a dozen shells into them. :D
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Honestly, I found the Matilda to be the peak of the British heavy line. It was pretty fun to play and very easy to get a phenomenal win rate in, so much so that when I elited my Churchill I went back and rebought a Matilda instead of moving on.
Whilst the Matilda is fun, and the Churchill VII is decidedly not, I don't regret carrying on up the heavy line. Being top of the tree in the Black Prince is amazingly fun, because although it has the same 20 kmh top speed as the other Churchills it hits that almost immediately and turns well, so you're able to maximise the effectiveness of your 152mm front, and it doesn't have the many glaring weakspots that the earlier churchills do. Even your commander hatch is small and flat.

You can also do balls out crazy stuff, like going down the central road on lakeville and acting like a giant retard magnet, keeping the enemy team out of the town shooting at you and not killing you, using the rocks to shield from the town and generally distracting 10 people until the rest of your lemmings get into position.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Caernarvon as well, because it's a Centurion but more so and will get me the 20 pdr Type B with its increased accuracy and firepower.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

People. If the enemy already has three people in your cap when you just start capping, it doesn't matter how many people you have in their cap, they're going to win unless somebody goes back to stop them.

Why is this is so hard to understand?
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Man, you'll be expecting people to read chat and act on information therein next.

That red bar that fills in on the screen? Graphical error, just ignore it.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

OmegaChief wrote:Not so good have been my forays into the british TD line, up to the Valentine AT now, and I'm realising "Wait I havn't really driven a TD except for the Lee" that said in my last 3 matches I've got 3 kills in the thing even if I do drive more like an assault gun, only one one of the matches thanks to disintergrating teams though!
You'll likely like the AT 2 and onwards. They *are* assault tanks rather than TDs. I'm loving my AT 7, which is quite happy driving up to T8s and punching them until the screaming stops.

As for the UK heavies, teams and maps continue to frustrate the Caernarvon. The TOG, however, remains unstoppable and invincible.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:26:09 PM
Vehicle: M2 Medium Tank
Experience received: 1,798 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 14,167

This wasn't even seal clubbing. This was like...

Slaughter.

Took a pot-shot at an Alecto and finished it while driving by, it had 50% or so health and it all went to my mini-derp. Ran past their base to get to hill and ran into a T-28. Dueled it without taking a hit and killed it with only four shots. Went up the hill, started taking shots on a T-34 up there, doing a total 138 damage. M5A1 Stuart runs up to me to take me out, it dies when I notice it. Covenanter tries the same, almost succeeds, but ultimately fails. Did almost 1k damage.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I think in my second or so game with the miniderp I got 8 kills and a 5 kill Reaper ribbon. It never did anything nearly like that again, but it was hell of entertaining when it happened.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Best match I ever had in it I got six or seven kills, ten damages, a reaper ribbon, ten shot sharpshooter ribbon, sniper, ten shot master gunner ribbon, and ace tanker.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The 8.5 test nothing server is up, for those who enjoy utterly pointless matches.

The iPanzer remains the only interesting looking thing on the tree, although the AwfulPanther with the konisch should be amusing. of course, I can't test the iPanzer in anything resembling sensible condition, so I won't.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.