World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Vortex Empire »

GHETTO EDIT: Wait, were you asking why CW teams don't run full teams of mediums or tds? Same reason they don't run full teams of heavies, because you need flexibility. Mediums have greater mobility and DPM than heavies, but less health and armor and therefore less ability to just trade shots and expect to win, but greater ability to exploit terrain and the slower speed of heavies. Although I have fought a few full medium teams before in CW, SSGS and VOLT IIRC, and the battles have been just as close as any other.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Vendetta wrote:
Stark wrote:ITT people still learning snipers are cowards?
Mang, arty aren't even snipers, they're the mortar from bf3.
The mortar from BF3 had to be used by people actually in danger. WoT arty is little more than reskinned rocket launcher camping.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Anybody have experience with the M103? I'll be getting to it soon, so I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Hawkwings wrote:The point of arty is to give heavy tanks something to be afraid of. Otherwise it would be World of Heavy Tanks and everyone would be bored or sad.
The proper balance to that is larger maps with terrain that allows mediums to actually make use of their mobility advantage, not adding in explosive whack-a-mole.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Highlord Laan wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Stark wrote:ITT people still learning snipers are cowards?
Mang, arty aren't even snipers, they're the mortar from bf3.
The mortar from BF3 had to be used by people actually in danger. WoT arty is little more than reskinned rocket launcher camping.
Had it fuck. It was used by people at the back of the map (like arty) dopping on people halfway through or bettter (like arty). Coward's weapon, deserving of all the scorn you can muster.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Anybody have experience with the M103? I'll be getting to it soon, so I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into.

you'll want you get off the 105mm as soon as possible, it was good at tier 7 and decent at 8 but it's crap against what the 103 faces every battle. the first 120mm is basically the T34's gun with a better RoF, and will make you competitive while you go for the turret and the tier 10 gun.

of note is that you don't seem to need the tracks to mount anything, and the tank is decently mobile stock. so i'd save the tracks and engines for last.

the frontal armor's pretty good, better hull than the T32 and the front hull is rounded, but that makes it so that angling hurts instead of helps. the turret's weaker front armor stats are compensated by the mantlet and better angles. the turret 'cheeks' are weakly armored but nearly at auto-bounce angles from the front, however, the sides are thin, i think I've taken more damage from a near-miss to the sides or rear (from arty) than i would if it had hit the front or roof.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The M103 is really a heavy medium. I think xtheteth lovingly called it the "Fatton", as it's big, somewhat squishy (but a bouncy front) and a very, very sweet 120mm gun that spits out shells at a very fast rate.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

First reports from the test server are that the Leopard 1 is epic. Wargaming have obviously been at the vodka again, because they've inadvertently made a high tier German tank that's not completely underpowered.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vendetta wrote:First reports from the test server are that the Leopard 1 is epic. Wargaming have obviously been at the vodka again, because they've inadvertently made a high tier German tank that's not completely underpowered.
Can you provide a link to some reliable reports?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...and suddenly I'm regretting not getting on the test server. That looks amazing
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Vendetta wrote:First reports from the test server are that the Leopard 1 is epic.
I havn't got the chance to get in yet. The waiting line is stupendously large. Will this get any better in the future?
Last edited by wautd on 2013-04-07 02:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Fatton is actually M48, not M103... It basically guts all the advantages of the first patton... While also being huuuuge
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

wautd wrote:
Vendetta wrote:First reports from the test server are that the Leopard 1 is epic.
I havn't got the chance to get in yet. The waiting line is stupendously large. Will this get any better in the future?

With everyone and their grandmother wanting to take a Leo for a spin...highly doubtful. Which sucks...I'm just glad that since I already have the DB that's at least a little grinding done.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Vendetta wrote:First reports from the test server are that the Leopard 1 is epic. Wargaming have obviously been at the vodka again, because they've inadvertently made a high tier German tank that's not completely underpowered.
No they aren't. You see, all the fascist tanks are underpowered.

Although I maintain the Maus is totally awesome because nobody knows how to drive it and fewer know how to shoot it.

Also, I can do this in CW in a Maus
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The E-100 is pretty excellent too, just extremely vulnerable to whackamole. It can do some crazy things on city maps.
xthetenth wrote: No they aren't. You see, all the fascist tanks are underpowered.

Although I maintain the Maus is totally awesome because nobody knows how to drive it and fewer know how to shoot it.

Also, I can do this in CW in a Maus
I assume you've heard that the Maus is confirmed to be getting a buff? Wonder if they're buffing the gun, armor, or hit points.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote: I assume you've heard that the Maus is confirmed to be getting a buff? Wonder if they're buffing the gun, armor, or hit points.
Yeah, I know, I'm kind of super happy with that because I already do pretty well with the silly thing. It's amazing how effective it is when reverse angled, especially at range. Just remember to angle the turret between shots because the cheeks are weak.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Could you define "reverse angled?"

I'm guessing you mean "park the front against an obstacle and angle outward, so that you present only a slab of side armor which is in turn angled at something like 50-60 degrees with respect to incoming fire."

Like:

_____
/ /
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yep, pretty much exactly, lets you hide the lower glacis and works great with rear turrets and heavy side armor, makes the maus amazingly tough because the only time one can be penetrated unless outflanked is when it turns its turret out of cover to fire. I'll see if I can come up with the replay.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So, just had a nice moment in my M6.

Waltzed up the the middle hill in Prokhorovka just in time for our scout to die and lose sight of their SU-8, all the way at the bottom of the map. Fired two shots at where I figured it would be a boom, dead arty.

Now that's some poetic justice.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I did that in my Matilda. Lost sight of a Lee and just shrugged, and fired a couple shells in his general area. Boom :P

(and after THAT I got my first ever ammo-rack kill on a T57)
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Mines Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:44:35 PM
Vehicle: M2 Medium Tank
Experience received: 715
Credits received: 11,477
Battle Achievements: Spartan

And yet another fine day in World of Seal Clubbing.

5 kills. Took a bunch of shots from those pesky Pz. 1 C autocannons, and derped them in return.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I did that in my Matilda. Lost sight of a Lee and just shrugged, and fired a couple shells in his general area. Boom :P

(and after THAT I got my first ever ammo-rack kill on a T57)
Blind shots are the best, especially when you hit moving targets. My favourite shot I can remember is from a Murovanka encounter match. A few seconds into the match our scout had caught a split-second glimpse of a P4 charging full speed straight at the hill but had lost sight before I could get a clear shot. I just stopped anyway, aimed where I figured he probably was going to be, accounted for a lot of drop since it was the 105 on my Jumbo, and when the shell hit after I'd started moving again, it one-shot the vehicle.

The Matilda almost seems cheating since I'm so used to slow shells. I have to remember to not lead when I use that.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:05:36 PM
Vehicle: M6
Experience received: 3,044
Credits received: 29,984
Battle Achievements: Patrol Duty

I always seem to get this medal in this tank. Spotted 3k damage, did 1k myself. Basically sat at the middle of the southern side of the hill and dodged their arty while sighting the five-ish tanks on the hill and a few in the field for our forest-based sniping TDs.

2k exp extra due to the patrol duty event, all to the crew.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region Monday, April 08, 2013 7:45:13 AM
Vehicle: M10 Wolverine
Experience received: 2,310 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 44,775
Battle Achievements: Radley-Walters's Medal, Top Gun, Cool-Headed

Killed 9, and damaged another two. Cool-headed ended up on every tank on my side of the map due to a Pz I C that decided to auto-cannon spam everyone. Got 20k credits from an event, don't know which, though.

Oh I do love a shell every 3 seconds.