Star Wars in the Future (what type of tech would they have?)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Star Wars in the Future (what type of tech would they have?)

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Since Star Wars Takes place a long time ago, when earth reaches the 23rd 24th century, wouldn't the Star Wars Galaxy be more technologically advanced then what we see in the movies. Just speculate with me guys how would thing be?
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Excellent point (one of which ST types tend to ignore). ANH takes place likely when Earth folks are still chucking spears and riding horses.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Oh the pain dear god the pain.

We have no idea how long ago it was and since we dont even know what the situation is after 30 years theres no real way to guess what the hell is going to happen - an uber alien force could wipe the NR off the map (I dont mean the vong who 3 hillbilles could defeat maybe the guys the Chiss are fighting or a plague or everyone gives up warfare or etc etc etc).

Also if you are about to pull the "SW was a long time ago so they will be more powerful when they come after Trek" argument I will be forced to go crazy.

That was a bit harsh, I think SirNitrams a bad influence on me :twisted: .
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Following the Vong invasion, a new ruler will rise up and pitch the idea of another Empire. This idea will be quickly ratified and the new Empire will focus its research efforts on "Hyperphysics", construction, and weapons tech just like Palpatine's Empire did.

By the time the Federation rolls around, the origins of this new empire will have been lost to history. Instead, the group will call itself after the new empire's founder:

Xeelee

:twisted:
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

TheDarkling wrote:Oh the pain dear god the pain.

We have no idea how long ago it was and since we dont even know what the situation is after 30 years theres no real way to guess what the hell is going to happen - an uber alien force could wipe the NR off the map (I dont mean the vong who 3 hillbilles could defeat maybe the guys the Chiss are fighting or a plague or everyone gives up warfare or etc etc etc).

Also if you are about to pull the "SW was a long time ago so they will be more powerful when they come after Trek" argument I will be forced to go crazy.

That was a bit harsh, I think SirNitrams a bad influence on me :twisted: .
geez I wasn't even gonna come to that (yet). Don't make assumptions please. :roll: This is for speculation on where Star Wars tech would be in the Future.

-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I find it likely that SW has pretty much run into the physical and cultural limitations for creating better technology, and cannot hope to advance much further. That being said, I believe that they will achieve similar levels of technology to the ancient species that used to live in the Galaxy. They will likely, in the distant future, have the ability to move black holes and similar phenomena, and to construct micro-filaments, that are capable of manipulating things at a molecular level.

Their computers still seem to be improving, and so I find it reasonable to assume that they will continue to be faster and superior, and their starships seem to be developing to a limited extent (more versatility in roles, and more abilities for similarly sized starships). However, I do not think that they will be able to progress in this direction for much longer. I think that their capital ships are about as good as they will ever be, and their starfighters are also about as good as they will ever be. Hyperdrives might improve marginally (.25 drives in the distant future might be fairly standard, even on capital ships), but their STL drives are likely as advanced as ever.

With their ground combat technology, I see little ability to continue to improve, except that the SW universe will likely eventually design battle droids that are smarter and more creative even than living troops (and, likely, be both better armed and protected, perhaps even less expensive), but their repulsorlifts, basic weapons design (more power is probable, but not orders of magnitude more power), and armor will likely be the same or recognizably very similar in even the most distant future.

As far as special technology, they will eventually develop limited versions of transporters (unless prevented from doing so by cultural reasons) the limits make them FAR less useful than ST transporters, especially for military applications.

Bacta is likely not going to improve, but prosthetic limbs and other cybernetic implants appear to be improving with reasonable rapidity.

While we are not sure how long ago the SW movies took place, I find it reasonable to assume that they took place no less than 200 years ago. In that time, I believe that most of the advancements in technology I spoke of will have been made, except that advanced battle droids will be significantly more expensive than humans (advanced droid brains are expensive), they will not have any ability to move astrological bodies, and they will not have even prototype transporters (Magwit's Mystifying Hoop). If we believe that the SW movies took place more than 2,000 years ago, I find it reasonable to assume that the SW universe's technology is at the levels that I speak of. I am unable to see further into their technological advancement, but I would be very surprised if they were able to advance significantly beyond the levels I spoke of above.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Imperial Federation
Youngling

Post by Imperial Federation »

Ay, I can hear the rabid Trekkies shouting with rage at the increased unfairness.
Yeah well TOUGH LUCK :twisted:
All members of the Imperial Redshirt Troopers are expected to die horribly for their Empire!
Go, and get killed in the most pointless way imaginable!
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Imperial Federation: The above thinking was banned on ASVS because once Warsies unleash this trekies open up the time travel bag o fun and use it to crush the empire.

Basically its a one way trip to flameville from there on in.
geez I wasn't even gonna come to that (yet).
Got to love that (yet).

Such speculation is pretty pointless in general stuff gets quicker and faster but the way the SW verse works I think the culture needs to catch up with the tech (no not THAT culture ) because the government cant function and sooner or later some wacko will get ahold of an easy to produce super weapon and thats will be the end of it.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Imperial Federation: The above thinking was banned on ASVS because once Warsies unleash this trekies open up the time travel bag o fun and use it to crush the empire.
Naah, it's more like the 'give us 50000 years' trekkie argument saying that the fight is unfair because ST had less time to develop.
Either way I think Darkling is right and I think the question is moor in regard of the vs theme, however it might be fun to speculate what tech would be like in SW's future without touching the vs topic.
Supermod
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well we already have a type of Hull tech floating around that can survive in the core of a Sun or Gas Giant and take part of a DS blast(Yota-tons of damage there) Hmm the only thing I can see is evoulving into Culture style speeds and harnessing WormHoles

Oh and Cybrog Jedi, Definatily :P

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Don't forget the continual shrinking of DS beams down even further to where they could become the new HEAVY heavy turbolasers. (An Eclipse type blast from an ISD? pretty darn good)
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

TheDarkling wrote: Basically its a one way trip to flameville from there on in.

Such speculation is pretty pointless in general stuff gets quicker and faster but the way the SW verse works I think the culture needs to catch up with the tech (no not THAT culture ) because the government cant function and sooner or later some wacko will get ahold of an easy to produce super weapon and thats will be the end of it.
I agree completely. I think my analysis was reasonable, but I really don't think we should be opening this can of worms due to the obvious potential of starting worthless debates.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

KNOWN advancements in SW tech in the future(Vong period):

Fighters capable of dogfighting and engaging at speeds ranging from .1c to .9c.

Starfighter ranges measured in lightseconds.

Capital ranges measured in lighthours.

(The above two require opponents incapable of heavy jamming, AKA, the Vong)

DS-firepower superlasers mountable on ISD-II hulls, with ranges of 1LY(NJO Sourcebook)

The third appearance of Quantum Crystalline Armour.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Mr Bean wrote:
Already exist. His name is Luke Skywalker.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Already exist. His name is Luke Skywalker.
Piif wimpy Bio-mechanical stuff, no no I'm talking about the full out augmentation with Force powers/speed along with built in Cortsan armor along with regular Stormy type along with HEPA style closed suits and the gun arms NTM the build in Rockerlanucher and jetpack :D

And those are Dual Repeater style Blaster Cannons, ALA Blaster machine-guns :D

Jedi be good but can jedi block two blasts at the same time one at head one at feet?

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I find it reasonable to assume that they took place no less than 200 years ago.
Reasonable? That's quite unreasonable, actually, to assume that in the past 14 billion years of universal existence, you'd get an (albeit fictional) society set up so relatively close to our own. Frankly, I find it far more plausible to assume that it was at least several million years ago... probably even closer to a billion or so.

But, then, I think big.
The Great and Malignant
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

SPOOFE wrote:
I find it reasonable to assume that they took place no less than 200 years ago.
Reasonable? That's quite unreasonable, actually, to assume that in the past 14 billion years of universal existence, you'd get an (albeit fictional) society set up so relatively close to our own. Frankly, I find it far more plausible to assume that it was at least several million years ago... probably even closer to a billion or so.

But, then, I think big.
Yeah, I find it more likely that SW took place at least a thousand years ago and probably far longer. I just did not think it reasonable to assume it took place LESS than 200 years ago. You're right. I should have worded it differently.

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, SW technology is pretty static, so if there are any advancements, they'll probably be in other fields. It's not like earth, where lots of new technologies can be implemented in 30 years.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

They definitely need to develop culturally. 25,000 of development and the best they can come up with is a unicameral legislature with no checks on it at all, and a dictatorship held together through the sheer force of personality of its leader. Basically, they can blow planets to fragments and cross the galaxy in a few days, but they can't figure out a better way to govern themselves than the Romans could.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

SW galaxy becomes the Q contiuum.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Well, SW technology is pretty static, so if there are any advancements, they'll probably be in other fields. It's not like earth, where lots of new technologies can be implemented in 30 years.
What? You say that it is static, then say that they will have to evolve in other areas. What are you talking about? You ignore the fact that I documented a number of technologies in which they are anything but static.

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Mr Bean wrote:Well we already have a type of Hull tech floating around that can survive in the core of a Sun or Gas Giant and take part of a DS blast(Yota-tons of damage there) Hmm the only thing I can see is evoulving into Culture style speeds and harnessing WormHoles

dont cybernetic implants strengthen the chance of becoming a dark jedi I remember reading that in a few places.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Well well well Lots of interesting subjects brought up. Well heres another.
What about the Jedi how will they evolve? I had an Interesting theory not too long ago. It's about the whole Balance of the force concept brought up in the prequels, what I think it may mean is that there will be no more factioning of the force. There will be no darkside and Light side just the force. And perhaps when that happens the jedi could evolve beyond what they are. Just a theory.

BTW I didn't mean to stir things up here.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well well well Lots of interesting subjects brought up. Well heres another.
What about the Jedi how will they evolve? I had an Interesting theory not too long ago. It's about the whole Balance of the force concept brought up in the prequels, what I think it may mean is that there will be no more factioning of the force. There will be no darkside and Light side just the force. And perhaps when that happens the jedi could evolve beyond what they are. Just a theory.
Somone's Been reading Trator from the NJ saga

And a add-on to the Cybrog Jedi

With Buzzsaw hands Bzzzzzzzzzz! :P-Name who and a cookie could be yours

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

First: Shouldn't this, technically, be in the Star Wars forum?
Secondly: Corusucant gets renamed to "Trantor"