World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by The Infidel »

Yeah, that must be it. I didn't think much. Doh!
Nobody start in this game with that win rate, so second account seems likely, yeah.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Finally finished the Churchill VII and sold it, and I'm ecstatic that I'll never have to touch that irredeemable piece of shit again. Slow, not enough armor to bounce shots with any reliability unless it's top tier, and the gun, while okay in and of itself, has so little gun depression or elevation that you're basically screwed when you're not on flat terrain.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Finally finished the Churchill VII and sold it, and I'm ecstatic that I'll never have to touch that irredeemable piece of shit again. Slow, not enough armor to bounce shots with any reliability unless it's top tier, and the gun, while okay in and of itself, has so little gun depression or elevation that you're basically screwed when you're not on flat terrain.
That tank has almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's such a useless turd of a tank. I've never encountered such a painful grind before. I only managed a 30% win rating in that thing. In 60 battles in that piece of shit I can not think of one that I actually enjoyed.

The Black Prince is so much better. I've gone up against tier 8 heavies in that thing and won.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Isn't it nice, being armored like a medium, fast as a heavy, and armed like a light?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Most mediums have some degree of angle to their armor, heavies are faster than that turd on tracks, and lights have gun depression. There is no good quality to that tank, the only worse tank is the Churchill GC...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Vortex Empire wrote:He likely bought a tier 8 premium and used gold to convert free xp from it in order to skip all the low tiers.
Yeah, that's pretty much how Garbad started out when WoT went from Beta to live.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Temjin wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:Finally finished the Churchill VII and sold it, and I'm ecstatic that I'll never have to touch that irredeemable piece of shit again. Slow, not enough armor to bounce shots with any reliability unless it's top tier, and the gun, while okay in and of itself, has so little gun depression or elevation that you're basically screwed when you're not on flat terrain.
That tank has almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's such a useless turd of a tank. I've never encountered such a painful grind before. I only managed a 30% win rating in that thing. In 60 battles in that piece of shit I can not think of one that I actually enjoyed.

The Black Prince is so much better. I've gone up against tier 8 heavies in that thing and won.
Your experiences with the Churchill VII are pretty much the complete opposite of mine. Just shy of 200 or so battles, roughly 51% win rate, and a whole lot of Sniper and Steel Wall medals.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Your experiences with the Churchill VII are pretty much the complete opposite of mine. Just shy of 200 or so battles, roughly 51% win rate, and a whole lot of Sniper and Steel Wall medals.
I managed to get precisely one Steel Wall in that tank. For comparison, I managed two in the VK 3001H, and that has hope and tin foil for armour.

I'm wondering how you've had so much success with the tank? I have to admit I could never figure out a successful playstyle with it.
-Sir James Dewar

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:
Temjin wrote:

Your experiences with the Churchill VII are pretty much the complete opposite of mine. Just shy of 200 or so battles, roughly 51% win rate, and a whole lot of Sniper and Steel Wall medals.
I got 51% in the Churchill VII as well.

But I got 55% in the Black Prince and 53% in the Caernarvon.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I ended with a 61% winrate in it, but it's still a piece of shit.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Temjin wrote:
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Your experiences with the Churchill VII are pretty much the complete opposite of mine. Just shy of 200 or so battles, roughly 51% win rate, and a whole lot of Sniper and Steel Wall medals.
I managed to get precisely one Steel Wall in that tank. For comparison, I managed two in the VK 3001H, and that has hope and tin foil for armour.

I'm wondering how you've had so much success with the tank? I have to admit I could never figure out a successful playstyle with it.
It's a very strange tank. I once bounced 70 shots in it. I did this by being the only one still near our base and tried to stop the cap. I still died and the team lost. I was barely able to shoot anything because of how fast I was getting shot, yet I still managed a defender medal before the tanks with the most cap points hid behind their allies.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

My Heavy Churhcill has a higher win rate than my Caernarvon, which is amusing. 43% to 41% I'm not a huge fan of the Heavy, but I don't think it's terrible

The Caernarvon desperately needs competence from other people to be half-decent. So, in my experience, doomed to failure.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Caernarvon needs positioning. If you're in the right place the gun will clean up, highest penetration on a tier 8 tank gun, minimal aim time, low on the move penalties, and good rate of fire. But you need to not be giving the enemy shots at your hull, that's when you'll get wrecked.

It doesn't so much need competence from allies as them to just be there as a distraction to stop enemies thinking it's a good idea to rush you down and give you time to use your DPM.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

No, it needs competence.

Taking a position is utterly irrelevant when the rest of the team is busy hiding behind a rock 35 miles behind you and expecting you to scout.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Vanas wrote:No, it needs competence.

Taking a position is utterly irrelevant when the rest of the team is busy hiding behind a rock 35 miles behind you and expecting you to scout.
That would be bad positioning. To choose a good position you need to be aware of where your team is and where, based on the enemy team's composition they are likely to be. Whilst the terrain is an important tactical component of good positioning, it's useless without the strategic component which is knowing where you are positioned relative to the rest of your team.

If your team is camping behind a rock 35 miles behind you they're doing it wrong, but if you advanced that far on your own you are also doing it wrong, no matter how tactically strong your position would have been if you were supported.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

So I like arty and heavy tanks, which tech trees should I focus on? Or put another way, which country has the best artys and which has the best heavy tanks?
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Arty is for terrible people.

Best heavy line in general is the American one leading up the the T110E5, the German E-100 line is also good. American heavies tend to have good gun depression and strong turret armor, making them extremely versatile, while German heavies tend to have tough frontal armor and good firepower, but lowish speed. Varies depending on the particular tank, of course.
Last edited by The Vortex Empire on 2013-06-09 09:48pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So I like arty and heavy tanks, which tech trees should I focus on? Or put another way, which country has the best artys and which has the best heavy tanks?
Define "best", each nation tends to play a certain way so we need to know how you like to play before making any recommendations.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Out of every line though, I'd recommend Soviet mediums the most. The T-54 alone is a monster, and the rest of the tree is great too.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Personally I love the KV-line heavies (KV-1, T-150, KV-3, KV-4). But that's just me.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I second the Soviet heavy heavies. On the other hand, you might consider the KV-1S and following if what you really enjoy is smashing huge holes in enemy tanks with every shot.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So I like arty and heavy tanks, which tech trees should I focus on? Or put another way, which country has the best artys and which has the best heavy tanks?
With the new patch coming up, I'm pretty sure the French arty will be the most fun to play. French arty alpha sucks, but you have really good aim time compared to the other countries.

As for heavy tanks, it really depends on your playstyle, but I would heavily recommend the Soviet heavies.

American heavies can be quite good as well but they tend to focus on turret armour. American Heavies are best in hull down positions, but those same positions can be quite vulnerable to arty.

I don't have that much experience with British heavies beyond the Churchill variants so I don't really want to comment. If you do decide to go down this line, be prepared: The Church 7 is considered the worst tier 6 heavy in the game by many people.

French heavies have a unique playstyle, especially at the higher tiers. Weak armour, but with good mobility. Their auto-loaders are able to put out impressive damage in a short amount of time but pay for it with a killer reload.

German heavies are a bit of a mixed bag. For the most part, they make good snipers but poor brawlers. The E-100 and the Maus have amazing armour that's basically useless nowadays with all the premium that's flying around.

I would argue the Soviets have the best all around heavies. Their accuracy is a bit on the poor side, but with the upcoming patch everyone's accuracy is being upped a bit anyway so it remains to be seen how much of a handicap that end up being in the future.

[Edit] In other news, the Superpershing is being temporarily removed from the store while they make some changes to the armour values. If you already own it, you can continue to use it. The French premium arty is being bumped up a tier, and the Sexton is not going to be released this patch.
-Sir James Dewar

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

You can also sell the Super Pershing for a full refund. If you want the premium french arty best buy now as it won't be back in stores.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i wonder why they're delaying the sexton so much, it was ready two updates ago.

i have a feeling 8.7 is going to be british SPGs and they want to bundle it in with that.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Possibly. The only SPG's I've used are American ones up to the Priest, so it doesn't matter that much to me. I still need to finish grinding the darn KV-4 before I think of a new tree.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE