World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by AniThyng »

Jub wrote:You can also sell the Super Pershing for a full refund. If you want the premium french arty best buy now as it won't be back in stores.
This is excellent news as I no longer care to use the SP and getting 7200 gold back will be awesome :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Xbox 360 version announced at E3.

Still free to play apparently, probably not cross play, who knows whether any account value will transfer.

Personally I would have thought World of Warplanes a better match due to it being way easier to adapt to a pad (lots of people always complain about vehicle controls no matter how you implement them), but I guess it wasn't ready yet. Though in the main E3 WG may be telling us more about the open beta which should be on soon.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'm fairly excited about this, my PC isn't the best and the 360 has quite a bit more graphical horsepower. little worried about fine aiming with thumbstick but had no problems nailing moving banshees with the scorpion in halo, so hitting what you're aiming at shouldn't be to hard. as long as it doesn't take too long to be released (like sometime this year) or they only do it for the XBone or something like that.

gaijin announced they're doing a PS4 port for warthunder a week or two ago, related?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Vendetta wrote:Xbox 360 version announced at E3.

Still free to play apparently, probably not cross play, who knows whether any account value will transfer.

Personally I would have thought World of Warplanes a better match due to it being way easier to adapt to a pad (lots of people always complain about vehicle controls no matter how you implement them), but I guess it wasn't ready yet. Though in the main E3 WG may be telling us more about the open beta which should be on soon.
While driving may be more intuitive on a pad, attempting accurate aiming is going to feel worse than playing the Church VII in a tier 8 match with 5 arties per side.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Imperial528 wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Xbox 360 version announced at E3.

While driving may be more intuitive on a pad, attempting accurate aiming is going to feel worse than playing the Church VII in a tier 8 match with 5 arties per side.
You might intuitively think that, but remember that in World of Tanks it doesn't matter how fast you can point your mouse at the bad tank your turret will take two seconds to point at it and then you have to wait five more seconds for your aim circle to close. Plenty of time to make small corrections to point at that commander's hatch.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Eh, perhaps I just suck at using sticks then, because I have always felt I had more fine control with the mouse.

Though with low-accuracy tanks I have used a wide dispersion pattern to hit soft areas without directly aiming at them, so it may just require a similar change in play style.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The advantage of the mouse has always been about how quick you can get that fine aim. But in WoT you don't benefit from that speed because the vehicle you're driving almost certainly can't keep up with it.

I still think that WoWp would be easier to get the feel right on a pad, but WoT is a much more mature product.

Also, apparently the open beta will start on XBL soon after E3 and will only have US and German tanks to start with, with Russian and British tanks available by the full game launch. There's no account value transfer, it's a wholly seperate ecosystem, but it will still be F2P. It's being developed by what used to be Day 1 Studios (the guys who did Mechassault, FEAR 3, etc. So they're a studio with plenty of experience with XBL games.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

What's the point of crew members when grinding to higher tiers? I replace tanks before they can get above 70% skill, and I don't get the purpose of retraining them at all, it just seems to drop their skills back down to near 50%.

Should I just dismiss and rehire crew members when replacing tanks? Or is there a point to keeping them around and switching them between tanks?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

They do keep an amount of experience even with the free retraining. You can pay to have them keep more using either credits or gold, gold of course keeps all experience.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If you get into a grind with enough EXP in one tank the crew will get enough experience that retraining them costs as much and gives more experience than bringing a new crew to 75%. They'll also keep any skills you unlocked. I've found this hits in tier 5 at the earliest, unless you really tool around in a lower tier tank a lot.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My KV-4's crew is from my original KV-1, while the crew I had in the Indien was from my III\IV (they are just in the barracks now though).

As others have said, the advantage to that is crew skills. In higher tiers, the grind is long enough that crews will begin to get high enough skills that its better to keep them. Especially when you actually get stuff like Sixth Sense.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

So I was briefly in a clan. I was only in one battle, but everyone was using T1s, and camping. One of the most boring things I've ever seen. I think they were under the impression that simply participating in the campaigns would win them M60s. Anyway, they kicked me out and I only care enough to comment on it.
Image[
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Remind me again what the Super Pershing's frontal weak spots are?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Simon_Jester wrote:Remind me again what the Super Pershing's frontal weak spots are?
The cupola on top, the bottom corners of the turret, the hull MG port. Anything not covered by those spaced armor slabs.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Remind me again what the Super Pershing's frontal weak spots are?
The cupola on top, the bottom corners of the turret, the hull MG port. Anything not covered by those spaced armor slabs.
Also those two cylinders sticking out over the front of the turret.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Temjin wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:
Also those two cylinders sticking out over the front of the turret.
The cylinders themselves aren't hitboxes iirc, it's just that they are a good spot to aim for to hit the top of the turret. I personally always aim for the bottom turret cheeks.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dominus Atheos wrote:What's the point of crew members when grinding to higher tiers? I replace tanks before they can get above 70% skill, and I don't get the purpose of retraining them at all, it just seems to drop their skills back down to near 50%.

Should I just dismiss and rehire crew members when replacing tanks? Or is there a point to keeping them around and switching them between tanks?

When you start getting to about tier 5-6 your crews will trivially hit 100% and start training secondary skills like Repair before you finish with the tank. Once that happens you'll want to keep them because even if their primary skill drops down to 90% on retraining they keep their secondary skills, and some of those are utter lifesavers.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:What's the point of crew members when grinding to higher tiers? I replace tanks before they can get above 70% skill, and I don't get the purpose of retraining them at all, it just seems to drop their skills back down to near 50%.

When you start getting to about tier 5-6 your crews will trivially hit 100% and start training secondary skills like Repair before you finish with the tank. Once that happens you'll want to keep them because even if their primary skill drops down to 90% on retraining they keep their secondary skills, and some of those are utter lifesavers.
^^ This!
If you want to spend some gold, retraining with 100% is the thing you want to spend it on. When they are trained at 100%, they start to train their skills/perks. Perks is only available when you reach 100% of a skill, but then you can give your commander "sixth sense" and that is the single most useful perk you can have. It gives you a warning when you're spotted by enemy, and if you move fast enough, you'll avoid getting shot. If you retrain a 100% crew to 90%, their skills and perks will be disabled until they are at 100% again.

Also remember that the stats of the tank is with 100% crew. The better the crew, the better the tank will handle. If you have only 50% crew, the tank handles noticeably worse than with a 100% crew. You'll have shorter radio range, gun will reload slower, turret move slower, everything. When I was grinding, I did the mistake of buying new crew to every new tank, but then again, I usually kept the old one and I also spent gold to train crew to 100%... That cost me a lot of grinding of the crew, but now, all the tanks I play often have 100% crew with 100% primary skills/perks and a nice set of secondary skills. My commanders usually have "sixth sense" and "jack of all trades". The latter lets the commander step in if another crew member is injured.

If you don't have gold, at least use the credits to get the crew to 75%. It is worth it.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Hm... Another possibly silly question.
Looking at the battle report, I noticed an enemy tank destroyed by its own commander. Thing is that the tank did not move at all, so it couldn't have driven off a cliff or anything. How is that possible? Only thing I can think of, is that several of his team mates decided to push an inactive tank over a cliff, but the spawn point is far from any natural hazards. If you quit the game, your tank is not destroyed, either.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

you can kill yourself at low health when shooting a big enough HE round if nose to nose with an enemy
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Marko Dash wrote:you can kill yourself at low health when shooting a big enough HE round if nose to nose with an enemy
But he was inactive. No shots fired. (forgot to mention that.) He was afk.

BTW: This has been a few nasty days. Win rate of 25-30%...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Infidel wrote:^^ This!
If you want to spend some gold, retraining with 100% is the thing you want to spend it on. When they are trained at 100%, they start to train their skills/perks. Perks is only available when you reach 100% of a skill, but then you can give your commander "sixth sense" and that is the single most useful perk you can have. It gives you a warning when you're spotted by enemy, and if you move fast enough, you'll avoid getting shot. If you retrain a 100% crew to 90%, their skills and perks will be disabled until they are at 100% again.
Not actually true.

Skills and perks are disabled if the crew are in a vehicle they're not trained for (unless it's a premium vehicle of the right type), but the level of the primary qualification doesn't matter. The skills just won't start going up again until the primary reaches 100%. As soon as you retrain, even if you retrain for free and drop to 80%, your skills start working again.

For instance, my IS-6 currently has a crew trained for the IS, they're at 95% on their primary qualification and about 40% on their third skill. Their skills are all fully active because the tank they're qualified for is a Russian heavy, and the tank they're in is a premium Russian heavy. If I put them in any other tank than an IS their skills would stop working unless I retrained them to that tank, but as long as it was still a Russian heavy their skills would still work fine in the IS-6.

Retraining for gold is never really worth it, the 90%-100% xp requirement is basically nothing at high tiers. Dropping skills for gold is, if the crew are on their third skill or beyond, because the amount of skill XP they would lose would be pretty large. Before that the 10% loss for credit retraining would be pretty minimal.

Buying a new crew with gold is something you might consider if, for instance, you're starting a new crew on a high tier tank. (F'rinstance if I were to get a Lorraine 40t it might get a gold crew because the skills on the AMX 13-90 crew would be wrong and want retraining for gold anyway because they'd be a 3 skill crew by then, and starting a tier IX with a 75% crew would be harsh).

My main uses for gold are moving complex equipment around (10 gold is a non-price, it's 4p) and skill retraining for my 3 skill crews as I figure out better builds for their particular vehicles (currently trying to maximise detection range on my Centurion 7/1, deciding whether to go optics or binocs as I do tend to reposition a lot and trundle around a little to dodge arty). Well, that and garage slots for Moar Tanks.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Xess wrote:So I was briefly in a clan. I was only in one battle, but everyone was using T1s, and camping. One of the most boring things I've ever seen. I think they were under the impression that simply participating in the campaigns would win them M60s. Anyway, they kicked me out and I only care enough to comment on it.
Screw people hard camping that forever. You're not going to win it, so you're playing for a draw which screws both sides. Also, while mid tier clans are getting on the list of favorites for getting M60s, the event clans just won't be able to pull it. If you're good you could try to get in an established clan.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

What the hell do I do with a medium tank? What is it good at? It's too slow to dodge shots, not powerful enough one-shot (or even two-shot) lights, armor isn't good enough to bounce shots, I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell to do to be effective when playing a med tank.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

What mediums are you specifically having issues in?

Generally need to use your maneuverability and speed to be a second line tank that can exploit a flank when an enemy is otherwise busy. If the tank and terrain allows go hull down to expose yourself less. Use your quicker reload speed to exploit tanks that fire a shot and get stuck reloading.