Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Decue
Padawan Learner

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Post by Decue »

PeZook, that image got me an idea;

The Escape Vehicle 2000: From one certain death to another!
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am currently ruminting on finally achieving a manned EVE return mission. Last attempts have all broken at the fact that you need a ginormous rocket to get even a one-Kerbal pod to orbit.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Have you tried assembling a rocket in Eve orbit via docking, then land it via plenty of parachutes and use that for return?
Should be easier than building a rocket that has enough fuel to get to Eve, and then enough to get back all in one go.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Of course I separated the rockets into distinct parts. The problem is that you need some 9k delta-v to power through the atmosphere and get to orbit, and that's a pretty beefy rocket you have to land in one piece however you deliver it. I even cheated by using buyoancy to get me to 10km and had a rocket with 5k delta-v...no joy :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Shouldn't solid fuel boosters work very well in Eves atmosphere?
Dunno, only landed on Eve once so far, not even with a manned mission, much less return (and yes, manned missions come before return mission. It's the Kerbal Way!)

Right now i am busy painting the Mun with flags. Already completed a nice Pentagram - and each site has a rover, who are supposed to drag a thin conductive wire to the next flagpole and connect it to complete the circuit...
Why? SCIENCE of course!
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Serafina wrote:Shouldn't solid fuel boosters work very well in Eves atmosphere?
Actually, they are worse because you can't reduce the throttle to avoid excess thrust early on that gets turned into drag. It's a worse problem than on Kerbin because the atmosphere is so much thicker.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I think i discovered the best trick to building rockets yet:

Attach Cubic Octagonal struts below large fuel tanks (such as the orange jumbo one).
Engines can be placed directly under those without any notable loss of stability and no need for a seperate fuel feed.
That means that you can place up to five (one in the middle, four at the corners) engines instead of one large engine.

Every test so far that i've made produced MUCH better results with this method, ususally getting 90% more out of the fuel in that tank! AND it allows placing engines that you otherwise couldn't, notably atomic rocket engines!

The only disadvantage is that, sometimes, if you use a decoupler under those engine clusters, some of them fall off. I've yet to figure out why, it may be related to the engine covering thats blown off in such cases.

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

engine clustering is normally only good for the first stage due to the problems with ataching anything below them. if you want to use it for an upper stage, leave the center point free, then put a girder or I-beam there and put the decoupler on the bottom of that. strut heavily.

i've been using the radial atachment points rather then the cubics, they're flat and their 1m diameter gives you a better idea of clearence.
p.s. it is possible to do 6x1 as well but doesnt look as good due to the engines overhanging the sides of the tank
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Marko Dash wrote:engine clustering is normally only good for the first stage due to the problems with ataching anything below them. if you want to use it for an upper stage, leave the center point free, then put a girder or I-beam there and put the decoupler on the bottom of that. strut heavily.
High TWR is mostly useful in the first stage, anyways. Higher thrust = higher acceleration = you move past the densest parts of the atmosphere quicker, thus you save fuel.

I usually don't bother with fiddly bits like carefully positioning engines around, my rockets are rather conservative in design :D

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Mental note: The Mun does actually have gravity.

Why is this relevant? The first two Kerbals I landed on the Mun died while jetpacking across the surface because I wasn't applying enough upwards thrust and they came down too fast.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

when jetpacking across the Mun it's not the fall that kills you, it's all that horizontal speed you've picked up without realizing it till your Kerman is a green smear.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

With radially mounted landing engines and large landing struts its relatively easy to mount a rover on your Mun lander.
Simply take a rover mate (or similar surface), mount an external seat on it, add four wheels of your chosing and four static solar panels or radioisotope generators (or equivalents). Connect the whole thing via a centrally mounted i-beam and a stack seperator to the underside of your lander, and make sure the landing struts work in such a way that the rover doesnt have to fall far.
Voila, you can now cruise around the Mun with about 20 km/h!

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

You might also try delivering your rover separately. There's either the Mars Curiosity approach of attaching it by decoupler to a sort of latticework cradle fitted with radial engines, or a couple of mods that add cargo bays.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up just sticking a rover to the nose of a rocket and launching that at the Mun. I gave it a rocket for a body so it could do its own landing descent, it just uses RCS to flip over so that it lands on its wheels.

Unfortunately using a rocket fuel tank as your chassis has some other, explosive consequences, so I am now on my second rover. But I did manage to get to one of the arches.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

My last rover had a landing stage - a proper lander that it sat on top of. After touchdown, it separated and used its own teeny tiny rockets to leap up and hop to the side.

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

And of course, my current project for a Duna Base basically consists of a bunch of really big rovers that can dock together when on the ground. Spoiler

The main advantage is that it looks cool, but it also means that you don't have to worry about precision landings - if you're a bit off, you can just drive there!
Oh, and as for testing whether any two colony modules can dock - just do that on Kerbal if you want to avoid the frustration of flying aall the way to Duna and then find out that you placed the docking clamps at different heights.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Cool? It looks bloody awesome!

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

PeZook wrote:Cool? It looks bloody awesome!
Heh, thanks :D
I'm currently working on designing different modules that i can link together to form a proper base. The idea is to have habitation modules, hydroponic modules and power plant modules.
Hab modules are what you see above - room for up to 7 Kerbals. Power modules will be higher and use both tons of solar sails and radioisotope generators - specifically, spires of the latter mounting the former. And hydroponic modules out of copulas and storage modules, along with tons of lights, struts and fuel pipes to make it fancier.

Problem is that the first module i landed can only link in a straight line - and so far i haven't really found a good method to design a cross-section that allows better linking. The main issue are the wheels - if they aren't all on the same axis, they break really easily.

A method i might try is to make a really wide module where i can dock three other modules next to each other. Still working on that though.

But if everything works out, you'll have a bunch of those things connected together into one giant base on wheels, housing at least 20 Kerbals :D

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Have a hub with docking ports sticking every which way. It would be immobile and serve as the starting point of the base - the roving modules would then connect to it. That way you neatly sidestep the wheel problem :)

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

No that doesn't really work either.
Because the modules i dock sideways will have their wheels on the wrong axis - horizontal to that of the others. Thus they won't work for propulsion (i could deal with that), but worse every time i have tried that so far they break very easily.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Has no one tried doing a skycrane idea like NASA did with Curiosity? That is, having a stage that can drop a rover, then fly off to crash or land for later use?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Has no one tried doing a skycrane idea like NASA did with Curiosity? That is, having a stage that can drop a rover, then fly off to crash or land for later use?
There's even a default skycrane ship that comes with the game!

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Is there? I never really checked all the default types, other than Kerbal X. I'm still playing about more with spaceplanes at the moment.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

It's pretty easy.
Just add a lander stage atop whatever payload you want to drop with a means to detach it (the double-side decouplers are best for this). Use some struts for stability, and then make a normal landing - just make sure you have fuel left when you're almost on the ground, detach and drop a few meters.

Using parachutes on your payload (and triggering them while high up) gives you way more room for error.
Using small engines is generally always a good idea for landers that aren't supposed to take off again.
Using a small number of Seperatron solid engines to trigger the moment to detach can make sure that even a heavier lander gets far away without much liquid fuel remaining

Mind you, other than being cool and an achievement, sky cranes serve no purpose because after all, you don't need to worry about throwing up dust in this game. Still, using the stock skycrane is fun :D

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Wasn't Curiosity's used down to it being just too damn heavy to drop with parachutes and get a decent landing? It would be cool if they added dust effects for landings, though. Scorch marks, dust, shockwaves and Max Q effects would all add to the eye candy.