Connecticut Lawmakers can change history!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Connecticut Lawmakers can change history!

Post by Ahriman238 »

Or so says the Connecticut legislature.
NBC wrote:Connecticut's leading role in aviation has never been disputed, but legislators have passed a bill insisting that a Connecticut aviator flew two years before the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk, N.C.

The measure is the latest twist in an effort to credit the first successful airplane flight to German-born aviator and Bridgeport resident Gustave Whitehead.

The legislation is a flight of fancy, say Wright brothers partisans. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has not committed to signing the legislation, but will review it when it reaches his desk, a spokesman said.

The bill honors what it calls the first powered flight by Whitehead in 1901, "rather than the Wright brothers." Whitehead is credited by some for the first flight in August 1901. The Wright brothers lifted off from North Carolina in December 1903.

"We want to correct something that should have been corrected long ago," said state Rep. Larry Miller, R-Stratford, who spearheaded the legislation. "All we're trying to do is correct history. There's nothing in it for us."

Tom Crouch, senior curator for aeronautics at the Smithsonian Institution, which displays Wilbur and Orville Wright's plane at the National Air and Space Museum, said Whitehead's backers are "absolutely wrong."

"Whitehead's legend has spawned much speculation and hearsay," he said. "People who have looked at this over the years ... almost unanimously reject the claim."

Connecticut has a long and storied history in aviation. Aircraft engines were made at Pratt and Whitney in East Hartford beginning in 1925, and a desk used by Charles Lindbergh is still on display at the jet engine manufacturer. And famed helicopter maker Igor Sikorsky set up shop in Stratford in 1929 to make seaplanes.

A recent burst of interest in Whitehead followed a documentary by an Australian historian, John Brown. In addition, Whitehead Research Committees in the United States and Germany have stoked interest. Jane's All the World's Aircraft, an influential industry publication, recently cited contemporary news accounts in concluding that Whitehead beat the brothers from Dayton, Ohio, into the air.

Andrew Kosch, a high school science teacher in Milford, said he has been working 30 years to promote Whitehead's achievement. He lobbied the legislature and even persuaded Chip's Family Restaurant in Fairfield to name an omelet the No. 21, for the plane Whitehead flew.

He said the aviator is well-known in Connecticut for flying before the Wright brothers and the world now needs to know it.

"How can you prove someone didn't fly? That's what the Smithsonian is trying to do," Kosch said.

He and Miller said the Smithsonian is forbidden by a contract with the executors of the Wright brothers' estate to admit that anyone else was the first to fly.

Crouch said the Smithsonian signed a contract with two heirs of the Wright brothers' estate in 1948, after the brothers' deaths. The heirs insisted on the provision, he said, because they fought a fraudulent claim of early flights for 20 years.

It doesn't change what he said is the fact that Wilbur and Orville Wright operated the first heavier-than-air machine.

"What they achieved changed the face of the world," he said. "They were the ones who took those final steps. They deserve the credit for it."

Kosch will not be persuaded to reject Whitehead.

"I do everything I can to keep the story alive," he said.
Linky Here in case anyone wants it from the horse's mouth, but I did quote the article in it's entirety.

So what do you think, Whitehead or Wrights? For that matter, does this state legislature really have so little of weight to discuss and do?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Connecticut Lawmakers can change history!

Post by Flagg »

I hope Connecticut taxpayers are happy. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Whitehead does have a lot of evidence on his side supporting his claim to powered heavier-than-air flight in 1901.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This isn't as bad as, say, legislating that pi equals four. In this case there's actual evidence; I've actually heard of Whitehead before. On the other hand, I have a horrible suspicion that the state legislature didn't review the evidence as well as they should have.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

There's even a nice touch of conspiracy theory thinking and Prove He Didn'tism :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

There are at least four persons claiming to have been the first, and to be frank, the Wright brothers were the only ones clever enough to bring a camera...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

See, I'd heard in the local news they were going to start issuing "First in Flight" license plates to compete with Ohio and North Carolina, so this doesn't sound as bad.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Man, say they are right. What for? This will be nothing but dick waving.

Well on the other hand, if their electorate is full of idiots who actually think this dick waving means something, they might have a reason to do this. Then they're scumbags, because they are abusing public money to help their reelection. They might as well call this Your Taxes at Work Act to be complete dicks.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Unless they have solid evidence like the Wright brothers did (i.e. a camera) then they can just keep on with the wishful thinking.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

There was a photograph, from which a drawing for a newspaper article in a local Sunday newspaper was made. That photograph can not currently be located. Several other sources refer to photographs taken of Whitehead's machine in flight. None can currently be found (over a century later).
ThatOneCatC
Redshirt

Post by ThatOneCatC »

Well the man has an omelette named after him so it must be legit. This is interesting and something I will have to research more of. It is nice that the Conn. legislature has solved enough problems that they can take the time to do due diligence on this hot button topic and finally lay to rest the fact that NC and OH can suck it. All this time I thought the first human powered flight happened in Kitty Hawk when Saul McBoozenstein was thrown out of the Crab and Ale for groping the barkeeps wife. It has always annoyed me that photo evidence of the Wright brothers is used as the benchmark rather than the story my Uncles neighbors, best friends business partner who's great grandfather was at the bar that night. I hear the humans powered his flight so much he almost died in the surf swimming back.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The Wrights documented their flight, were able to control the plane, and even more importantly they were able to duplicated it.

For the record, I am a Native Daytonian, and from a short walk from my apartment I can see Huffman Prairie Flying Field.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

This.

They invited people, showed their capabilities, took photos. Tell them the time and place, they would show up and prove their claim.

Everyone else who claims the title can only say "Well, it did fly, perfectly, this one time, but no one saw it, we didn't had a camera with us, and since we already did it once, we lost interest, and didn't repeat it the next day/week in front of witnesses (and a camera), but trust us!"
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Uh, have you actually looked at Whitehead's claim? Newspaper article, witnesses, multiple claimed flights.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Terralthra wrote:Uh, have you actually looked at Whitehead's claim? Newspaper article, witnesses, multiple claimed flights.
article in question

An unsigned article, containing only an "eyewitness" report and no photos... Well, August is still considered a slow month for news.

Allegedly that machine made many more flights, and Whithead has pictures of it sittong on the ground, but he never made pictures of it flying?

Also, Whitehead himself admits in that article that he had no method to steer his machine apart from throttle to fly higher, and had to resort to a lucky intuition on his first flight leaning to one side in order to evade a few trees. Which mean that this "Airplane" had no controls, at all.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

So? The Wrights' plane didn't have a cockpit, nor even really a seat for the pilot. "Heavier-than-air powered flight" is the claim, not "heavier-than-air powered flight with mechanical steering."

And, as relayed in sources, it was common at the time for articles by the newspaper's editor to be unsigned. It's claimed that there were, in fact, pictures of it flying, from which drawings were made, but in the past 110 years, they've gone missing.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Flagg wrote:I hope Connecticut taxpayers are happy. :lol:
This.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

LaCroix wrote:
Terralthra wrote:Uh, have you actually looked at Whitehead's claim? Newspaper article, witnesses, multiple claimed flights.
article in question

An unsigned article, containing only an "eyewitness" report and no photos... Well, August is still considered a slow month for news.
How much did the Wright Brothers have? One camera, maybe a few witnesses who were willing to stand out on a windy day in December to watch them test. A local newspaper talking about their flight might not have been able to make a much more credible report than the one you describe.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Simon_Jester wrote:How much did the Wright Brothers have? One camera, maybe a few witnesses who were willing to stand out on a windy day in December to watch them test. A local newspaper talking about their flight might not have been able to make a much more credible report than the one you describe.
Yeah, but they have a photo, of good quality, which is a quite a good proof.

If there were a photo, I'd fully agree with Whitehead being the first, but there was only one independent person (the reporter) present. One person. I don't consider a single report as proof. For all we know, that guy could have been under pressure to get any story, or being bought to report a success. I know that this drawing was supposed to be made after a photo, or at least a photo is said to have existed, but why didn't they print that picture? After all, it was a earth-shattering new achievement.

They printed lots of photos in this issue, including some of ships unloading lumber and earthworks in progress, but not a photograph of the first motorized flight, ever? A feat thought to be impossible? Why?

My guess - it didn't exist...

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

IMHO people put way too much stock into the first flight anyways: I mean Ohio has Connecticut beat in a massive number of things when it comes to aviation ; I mean, fucking Neil Armstrong was from Ohio...how the hell are you going to beat that? :D

Though this is probably why this pissing match is ocurring anyways - since people put too much stock in the first (barely controllable) flight, getting your area promoted as the deifnitive site of one gets your tourism and prestige, so... :)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

PeZook wrote:I mean, fucking Neil Armstrong was from Ohio...how the hell are you going to beat that?
By not being from Ohio, as I gather in the wind. <shades>
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

In general, I find the concept whether a man sat in it or not irrelevant. To me, the claim of first heavier than air powered flight belongs to either Clement Ader, or Sir Maxim. (If you don't want to go as far as to attribute them to Alphonse Pénaud, who made a model fly with a rubber band - which also constitutes powered flight...)

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Honestly, I have no problem having a non-collapsible wave form when it comes to the question of who flew first. At the end of the day, we dont actually know. In 100 years, evidence has gone missing. Documentation at the time was sketchy. Why not credit the possible candidates as the visionaries they all were and be done with it. Take calculus for example. Does it really detract from Newton's genius that he may not have been the first person to invent/discover it, but instead developed it independently and in parallel with another individual? No. No it does not.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Honestly, I have no problem having a non-collapsible wave form when it comes to the question of who flew first. At the end of the day, we dont actually know. In 100 years, evidence has gone missing. Documentation at the time was sketchy. Why not credit the possible candidates as the visionaries they all were and be done with it. Take calculus for example. Does it really detract from Newton's genius that he may not have been the first person to invent/discover it, but instead developed it independently and in parallel with another individual? No. No it does not.
It does detract from a state's prestige and possible tourism revenue, though ;)

It's basically marketing and a touch of the human spirit - every place tries to promote itself as being good at something, whether it's the world capital of pizza, home to the pope or the birthplace of a great person. Sometimes it even works, like with Ohio which just keeps spawning astronauts because every kid is gently shoved towards aerospace and aviation through, well, marketing :P

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Given what some state legislatures are doing, I am glad the ones in CT are doing something so benign as pumping rainbows into the state ego.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter