World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I would offer to help, but Mediums aren't my strong-suit...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dominus Atheos wrote:What the hell do I do with a medium tank? What is it good at? It's too slow to dodge shots, not powerful enough one-shot (or even two-shot) lights, armor isn't good enough to bounce shots, I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell to do to be effective when playing a med tank.
For Russian and Chinese medium tanks and the Cromwell, use your mobility to flank enemies that are busy dealing with your heavies and exploit weaknesses in their lines, get around them and circle, work their limited mobility to damage their sides and rear without taking return fire.

For US mediums and the Comet do the above but make use of terrain and your excellent gun depression to strike from angles the enemy cannot easily respond to you from.

For German E-series mediums use your gun's accuracy to snipe high value targets from long range, use your speed to take up the most advantageous positions and reposition if it looks like the enemy might close distance or for effective ramming.

For Centurions and Indienpanzer combine the strategies of the German and US mediums, snipe from inconvenient hull down positions, let your high penetration do the work, don't let enemies close on you without at least seriously inconveniencing them on the way in. If you can get the sides of the enemy exploit that (though Centurion rarely needs it) but don't get into a brawl unless you have to because they don't have the mobility of other mediums.

For French mediums use your autoloader to burst enemies down and disengage quickly.

Russian, Chinese, US, and French mediums multiply their effectiveness when used in packs, two mediums together are more than twice as effective as one alone. German mediums and the high tier British not as much, they are snipers so they can happily support either heavy or medium allies.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I just started playing a few days ago and am grinding the American line. I'm at tier 3 and am having good luck in the M3 light and M37 arty, but keep dying uselessly in the M2 Medium Tank.

So far the only decent role I've found is "guard arty".
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The low tiers are pretty funky. The M2 MT doesn't play like any medium in the mid or high tiers. I strongly recommend using the 75mm derp on it, and abusing its insane gun depression by only poking the turret up over a hill.

Man, 20 degrees of depression... I wish there was a high tier tank like that.

"Guarding" arty is something I would warn against. The proper way to defend whackamoles is to stop the enemy from breaking through your lines in the first place, all sitting at the back with them does is take your gun out of the fight.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Being hull-down is great and all, but I don't know the maps very well and am having a hard time finding positions. I fucking hate this tank. It's armor is 32/18/13 and it has 210 HP. Light tanks can practically one shot me if they get around behind me. I have a 31% win rate in this fucking tank, compared to 50% in the previous tier T2 MT. :banghead:
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The M2 MT excels at using its allies as armor, using the map as armor and at flanking. Hull down is okay in it but it doesn't have a super-mantlet. Or much armor at all. In fact you should try to not get shot while driving that.

Also, the 75mm is the only gun for that tank. Any other gun is a crapshoot on it. I find I do my best when I don't take the thing 100% seriously, and play it like a troll.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Tiers 2-3 mostly consist of everyone zerging around without much of a plan anyway, there isn't really any great play style to be developed until you hit tier 5.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Just finished grinding 200+ battles on WoWP, hopefully the 5000 gold in WoT comes soon enough for some nifty upgrades. :)
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Apparently my calling is scouting. 643 damage upon my spotting in a M3 Stuart, although 0 done by me as I'm too busy zig-zaging across the map to click any red tanks real gud.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Is anyone registering for the Battle of Gazala tournament? Quite a number prizes available for participating teams.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

What's the sound a Centurion 7/1 makes when there's 13 tier 8 heavy tanks on each side and no arty?

Om Nom Nom Nom.

Mastery badge too for the 1358 score.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've been further expanding my T9 collection, giving some love to ze chermans.

The E-50 feels very nice to drive; not stunning acceleration, but it does out mass the battlefield, so I'll let it pass. Need to work on getting more kills with it, but I'm outputting damage nicely. Not entirely sure if the 88/100 or 105/52 are funnier.

Re-buying the E-75, it is merely glorious. Thanks to minor performance issues with the 128 I sadly missed the top gun by one in my first match in it in over a year.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Erlenberg Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:10:12 AM
Vehicle: M103
Experience received: 3,342 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 61,683
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Despite being hounded by their GwPanther for the first half of the match, I killed an E-50, KV-3, T29, and Lowe. Did 4.8k damage, all 18 shots hit.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

8.6 is here and the golden days of the SU-26 are over and the arty players are whining... a lot! In the game and in general chat. The 76mm of the SU-26 has better range, but the shells travel at glacial speeds and it's difficult to hit anything at all. Damage is also reduced. No more one shot. At least it should be more bearable to play heavy tanks.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

NA doesn't get it until next tuesday, you bastard. But man, certainly took them long enough to nerf the SU-26.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Infidel wrote:At least it should be more bearable to play heavy tanks.
Until you get matched against some horrible great big high tier monster.

Your KV-1S might not have to be annoyed to death by Su-26s any more, but now it has to deal with GwTiger Ps that can one shot it with splash alone.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Or even worse, the TOG II against that same 210mm monster. And tier 5s can now face S-51s, which will one shot any of them with splash alone. At least tier 9 and 10 tanks should be somewhat better off than they are now.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TOG II at least has preferential matchmaking, so the worst it can meet is the S-51 which can only one shot it by penetrating.

Which will happen all the time because it's huge and paper thin.

The solution is still for 100% of the playerbase to immediately teamkill all artillery so they can play World of Tanks not World of Hide Behind A Rock.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I'd be in heaven if I could organize that every match.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

All those arty players that are apparently whining are funny to me. I've played arty and I don't think its a problem that its nerfed. Vary rarely do I have problems with it myself, but I can understand that it needed work.

If this does any good or not...I can't say. I don't use the Test Servers anymore, and its still a while till 8.6 launches here.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Victory!
Battle: Mines 19 June 2013 21:11:47
Vehicle: M10 Wolverine
Experience received: 5,036 (x2)
Credits received: 48,219
Battle Achievements: De Langlade's Medal, Pool's Medal, Top Gun, Defender, Sniper, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Reaper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Sweet jesus, were the enemy team asleep? It seemed like I couldn't do anything wrong. I feel that taking the central hill and popping out to kill people is the one true way to play that map. Over 2700
damage and 11 kills. I didn't even switch to premium shells until the end, when I ran out of my normal ones despite hitting 35/37 times. Just checked and it turns out I didn't even have the best gun on this thing!
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Dear Lord man!

I wish I could get matches like that.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

If your team can secure that central hill on Mines, it's over. Gives you clear lines of fire to and cover from every section of the map.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Man, the Konisch is so cheesy now, 3 top guns in 3 matches... (albeit one was a loss by cap and one would have been if I hadn't done a hero reset against three tanks)
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Well I just tried some artillery, and its totally worthless. Increased load and aim time means that it is impossible to aim at anything other than an afk target. Hummel takes 30s to reload and 7s to aim (feels like 20s), and even trying to lead the slowest heavy is a misery as the shell speeds have been dropped so much, and now that the opportunity cost of a shot is so large you can't really go for anything other than the easiest shots. They nerfed artillery in the worst way possible: now hits come once in a blue moon with no skill behind them and ruin your match, but they've kept the damage so that the random match ruining bullshit factor is at an absolute maximum making artillery frustrating for both sides. Surely it would have made more sense for artillery to be a constant threat of consistent low level damage, thus rewarding artillery target selection and prioritisation, but if you start being targeted you could get out of the area.

On the other hand, all my matches today have been great fun. Time to get the tank matches in before all the shouting on the forums gets the arty buffed again.
Last edited by Steel on 2013-06-19 06:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.