Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Post by PeZook »

This will change when you're flying an airship in Jool's upper atmosphere.

You know you want this!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I kind of cheated by launching this via Orion, but that was just to get it to solar orbit. It's a kethane depot, currently weighing at about 49.51 tons. Orbiting Ike because gravity is easy there:

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I finally have docking. Yes, I am that sad and pathetic.

The main station module has the new Wet Workshop mod as it's main compartment. The RCS tanks are from the KSPX mod (as are the short RCS tanks on the orbiters, the large SAS modules, and the large battery on the station).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well, my Lightspeed Prototype topped out at just under 1% of c, and poor Jebediah is now screaming his way past Eeloo's orbit. I think I'll leave the Orions in the barn for now.

In other news, have now mastered orbits to the point of achieving stable orbits every time, barring some rocket-related failure. I've sent Kerbals around the Mun, the mission which showed me the wonders of the NERVA engine in the stock game. Next effort is to get docking sorted so I can go and retrieve the aforementioned Kerbals.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Is anyone else doing gravity assists, by the way? By now i tend to slingshot around the Mun on most on my extra-Kerbin missions, it just saves pretty significant amounts of delta-V.

It's not really complicated either - just put your vector so that you get into the Muns influence, but without getting captured. It's almost guaranteed to give you an extra bit of delta-V - while it's possible to use gravity assists to slow down, that tends to be lot more difficult (i'm still practicing that around Jool, using its moons to slow down).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am just about to try it on the outbound leg of my Eve mission, actually, though I'm worried the lack of precision will mean I'll waste more delta-v than I've saved during correction burns.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Serafina wrote:Is anyone else doing gravity assists, by the way? By now i tend to slingshot around the Mun on most on my extra-Kerbin missions, it just saves pretty significant amounts of delta-V.

It's not really complicated either - just put your vector so that you get into the Muns influence, but without getting captured. It's almost guaranteed to give you an extra bit of delta-V - while it's possible to use gravity assists to slow down, that tends to be lot more difficult (i'm still practicing that around Jool, using its moons to slow down).
Pezook is right, the amount of DeltaV you buy tends to not be worth more than the extra you need for course corrections unless the timing is perfect. For slowing down, Aero-braking is very useful to complete a capture.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In real life, gravity-assists are planned out years in advance by teams of NASA astrodynamicists with supercomputers; it's no wonder that we can't do it by the seat of our pants in KSP.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

TimothyC wrote:I finally have docking. Yes, I am that sad and pathetic.
To be fair, I've not docked anything yet. I've just sent up a docking testbed thing, but as ever, I'm doing everything with no plan, clue or autopilot, so it should be interesting.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I'm having another go at building my first space station, and this is the first module. It features twelve micro-rockets, each of which weighs 300 kilograms and is capable of safely delivering a Kerbal from Low Kerbin Orbit to the surface.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, I got Jeb to the Mun. He doesn't have enough fuel to get back off again, and I've yet to replicate the feat of entering a stable Munar orbit, but the lander's on the surface and more or less in working order.

Also, I've learned that gravity turns aren't all they're cracked up to be; if your rocket has even slightly imperfect flight characteristics it tends to result in unplanned lithobraking.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Zaune wrote:Well, I got Jeb to the Mun. He doesn't have enough fuel to get back off again, and I've yet to replicate the feat of entering a stable Munar orbit, but the lander's on the surface and more or less in working order.

Also, I've learned that gravity turns aren't all they're cracked up to be; if your rocket has even slightly imperfect flight characteristics it tends to result in unplanned lithobraking.
The main thing to do is make sure your center of drag is aft of your center of mass. Sometimes this means that you have larger fins on your first stage that you don't always need.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Huh. I thought the ideal was for the centre of lift exactly dead-on or slightly in front of the centre of mass.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Zaune wrote:Huh. I thought the ideal was for the centre of lift exactly dead-on or slightly in front of the centre of mass.
No. Think of it like a parachute - the centre of mass wants to keep going at the same speed, while the centre of drag wants to go more slowly. If the back of the rocket is trying to go faster than the front of the rocket, it is inclined to flip, making it less stable.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Zaune wrote:Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
It follows also that you want your center of lift aft of your center of mass because if the CoL is forward of the CoM, your plane wants to pitch up uncontrollably. don't forget to think about how the the CoM changes as the fuel gets burned.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I've just landed my second rover on the Mun, after the first was destroyed in a freak handbrake accident. This is the rocket that got it there.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

So... Guessing you don't have the improved aerodynamics mod installed?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

No, I don't. The only mod I have is the Kerbal Engineer, to do the work of calculating rocket stats for me.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

First successful Mun landing and return! Hell yeah!

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Space Station Goliath is up and running. It weighs 70 tons, and was delivered to orbit by three 40-ton turborockets.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I really love the microrockets, but I can't help but wonder if the chutes don't rip the girders off when they deploy.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

PeZook wrote:I really love the microrockets, but I can't help but wonder if the chutes don't rip the girders off when they deploy.
It hasn't been a problem so far. Mk 1 command pods are capable of landing with a single Mk 16 chute, and the microrockets only weigh a third as much. They just don't have enough inertia to fail in such a manner. Here's proof, from the first manned test.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Just a heads up: The next patch (0.21) is probably going to be out next week, and it will break save game compatibility. They're changing how the game keeps track of your Kerbanauts and improving the Mun terrain, so if you want your stuff to carry over you might need to do some tinkering or copying and pasting to get things working.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

ASAS is also getting reworked, IIRC the ASAS part itself is going away and the function will be integral to the pods. the way it acts is also being changed so that it doesn't over react when it's close to the set heading, so control surfaces won't flap around endlessly, and it wont waste as much RCS fuel.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?