World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Everyone sucks ass when they first start playing, the game has a rather sizable learning curve.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Just hit tier 4. By god the Matilda at stock is slow. Maybe the Mk 3 spoiled me a little.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

barnest2 wrote:Just hit tier 4. By god the Matilda at stock is slow. Maybe the Mk 3 spoiled me a little.
It may be slow, but it has similar armor to the KV-1 and the top 6pdr is a completely insane gun for the tier. It's a fun tank.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

The Vortex Empire wrote: It may be slow, but it has similar armor to the KV-1 and the top 6pdr is a completely insane gun for the tier. It's a fun tank.
Well... now I feel much better. Or I will when I get that gun :P
Seriously? It's that heavily armoured?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, the Mighty Matilda is basically a pocket-KV with an awesome gun.

Probably my favorite Brit tank so far, though I tend to lean towards slow and heavily armored tanks in general.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

barnest2 wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote: It may be slow, but it has similar armor to the KV-1 and the top 6pdr is a completely insane gun for the tier. It's a fun tank.
Well... now I feel much better. Or I will when I get that gun :P
Seriously? It's that heavily armoured?
The sloping is a little less good than on the KV-1, but both have 75mm thick frontal armor. Prepare to print Steel Walls when you're not in tier 6 battles.

Of course, due to the slow speed, if your enemy punches through your team on the other flank you're screwed.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Need advice. On the matilda, I got the 3 inch howitzer... I'm not feeling it yet. Is it any better than the stock weapon?

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

All howitzer weapons on British tanks are garbage, worthless, no good, very bad, and shit.

You want the 2pdr Mk X-b, which gives you enough penetration to tackle, from the front, basically all but two or three of the tanks you will ever meet.

There's a reason my Matilda has something like 3 Oskin's Medals and 2 Levaslaiho's (medals for killing multiple tanks two tiers above you in a single game).

55 damage a shot might not be much, but shoot every 1.8 seconds and it really adds up.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Welp... At least I had to spend the 2100xp to get to the next tier :P
Back to the 2pdr for now then, till I grind another 1200 or so...

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, my last battle with the KV-4 went rather well.

2k damage done, and 7k potential damage taken (in 27 hits from a Super-Pershing, a T32, and a T43). Not that bad all things considered, since it was two Tier 8's and a Tier 7 pumping shells into me.

EDIT: Also...

Researched:
ST-I researched. Undistributed experience spent: 166000. Free Experience spent: 0.

FINALLY.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

barnest2 wrote:Need advice. On the matilda, I got the 3 inch howitzer... I'm not feeling it yet. Is it any better than the stock weapon?
The extremely high firing angle lets you shoot over some cover.

It has no other advantage and comes with the disadvantages of every howitzer. Just stick with the regular guns.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The howitzer is great on the Tier 2 tank that can get it, since in some matches you will one-shot everything on the field. Like a KV-2 with a fraction of the load time! Shooting over cover to blow up tanks that can't hit you yet is also pretty amazing.

On anything else it's just useless, though. The really long arc time makes hitting anything a chore when you don't have artillery vision.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Vendetta wrote:All howitzer weapons on British tanks are garbage, worthless, no good, very bad, and shit.
I would agree with this... except for the 3.7 inch howitzer in the British TD line. That thing turns the Alecto into a quick little murder machine, and is even useful while grinding up the AT 2.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The AT2 only gets away with it because it's got infinite armour and most people are too noob to hurt it back whilst it takes forever to derp them.

The trouble is that the HE damage of the british howitzers is just too low, which means that by the time it's been halved and reduced by armour you're basically doing nothing of any use except to very soft targets.

I've effortlessly killed derp Cromwells in my Matilda because they did even less damage per shot to me than my 2pdr did to them.

Derp: Not Even Once.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Vendetta wrote:Derp: Not Even Once.
Except the T18 and T82 where not being able to one shot things is an extreme rarity, so the derps make them murder machines.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

It's so nice having good team mates. Had my E-75 out for a spin, playing left side. I noticed that 4 enemies were in the town and that I was alone to guard it. One IS-7, that was on the top of the map, started to poke the map in the town and I wrote I knew they were there, but I would not go in there alone. A few instances later, he rushed past me and me and an KV-4 followed suit. We wiped the town clean, always attacking from each corner of the houses they hid behind. KV-4 perished and me and the IS-7 went to stop 2 meds from capping our base. He went into close combat and took out one while I stayed a bit behind and took out one that tried to circle him. He did more than 7000 dmg, me around 2000 and we had 4 kills each.

Such battles are glorious! Hope they won't nerf the speed too much in 8.8.

Victory!
Map: Westfield
Date: 29. august 2013 15:33:13
Vehicle: E-75
Exp: 2 008 (x2) + Credits: 23 852
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Steel wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Derp: Not Even Once.
Except the T18 and T82 where not being able to one shot things is an extreme rarity, so the derps make them murder machines.
Yeah, but really, they're tier 2 and 3 vehicles. "Is good at seal clubbing" doesn't really sell a vehicle, I'd prefer to be able to make decent winrates in any tier, rather than pad them with seal clubs.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:47:23 AM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 1,322
Credits received: 36,617

And that^ is why I love the T-150. Just a great tank IMO.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka 29 August 2013 18:44:45
Vehicle: Matilda
Experience received: 866 (x2)
Credits received: 9,843

Two kills, but 5 other vehicles hit and the kills were the last two of the game. It's a good day to kill hetzers!

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

It's always a good day to kill Hetzers. The first time I ran one over in my (then new) KV-1 was one of my favorite World of Tanks experiences.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Esquire wrote:It's always a good day to kill Hetzers. The first time I ran one over in my (then new) KV-1 was one of my favorite World of Tanks experiences.
When one rolled over a hill and sat so I could put shells into it's belly, that was one hell of a day...

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

4530 dmg. The E-75 is growing on me. :)
Victory!
Map: South Coast
Date: 29. august 2013 21:37:19
Vehicle: E-75
Exp: 1 273 + Credits: 47 022
Achievements: : Steel Wall, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

So, I just got done with a rather "interesting" match. One of our guys decides to go for a swim, declaring that the map, South Coast, sucks. Our SPG apparently took exception to that, and blew him up. The swimmer then proceeds to spend the rest of the match bitching about being team-killed, despite the fact that when he died he was sitting in a lake waiting to drown anyway. He also told the other team where the SPG was. A bunch of people ending up reporting him, and a couple of guys on the other team basically told him to shut up. Anyway, because the swimmer died in my view, I ended getting fined for spotting the team-kill.

Other than that, the match went quite well, which was surprising, since I've only reached tier 3, and usually what happens to me in a tier 5 match is that I die as soon as I see someone. At one point I did run into an M7 in town, and should have died right there, but I guess he either wasn't paying attention or was reloading, so I had time to get behind cover. I'm pretty worried at this point, since as much as I like my Marder II, the armor is paper thin and the M7 could still spot for someone. But our SPG was on the ball, because the M7 spontaneously explodes. Not dying was a relief, so I thanked him.

end result:
Victory!
8737 credits (9012-330+55)
412 XP (416-4)
Mastery Badge "2nd Class"
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Need to make some money, tier 5 tanks are expensive ... compared to lower tiers. 3k exp to go until T-34.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

yep and 6s are twice that, 7s twice the 6s and so on.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?