God damn it, DC. (Batwoman writers and artist quit)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: God damn it, DC. (Batwoman writers and artist quit)

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Pah, European snobbery. :P
It ain't snobbery when supported by facts. Shall I do so?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If it involves linking to pictures, then I support this move.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Flashpoint and the New 52 pretty much killed all my interest in buying superhero comics. I am going to probably buy the Injustice comics, but aside from Rocketeer comics, I haven't really bought any comics at all in the past two years.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

To play devil's advocate, have you ever read Blacksad?

It's like Golden Age Disney meets noir and it's fucking awesome.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm seconding Grandmaster Joghurts request for pictures because my experience with european comics is essentially limited to Lucky Luke, Asterix, Rintintin and the local iterations of Disney comics, old iterations of those for the most part, so I would like to see what Thanas is talking about.
At this point, I'm holding my opinon at admitting that DC Comics DID manage to cover the entire spectrum from the 'you gotta be kidding me' bad to the 'that's awesome' regarding the visuals.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:
Sure, why not? Though I was hoping the smiley made it clear I was joking with you.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am wondering if I should make a new thread about that and call it general introduction to European comics or something.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Thanas wrote:I am wondering if I should make a new thread about that and call it general introduction to European comics or something.

You should.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

Here's an idea from a non-reader: how about if you start by giving your characters clear beginning, middles, and ends...and then when the story's over, you can start over in a completely different continuity? I mean hell, many of these guys have been reimagined dozens of times since the 1930s. From my understanding, the comic book universe is filled with "What If" stories and alternate universes, so it's not like the fans are going to be confused by this even if you have two or three distinct universes going at the same time, plus however many one-shot 'verses. Have fun with it--how about a modern-day Terry McGinnes taking up the mantle from an Adam West-era Batman? Might be worth considering, at least. (Or it might make the universe explode :P.)

Some other advice for the industry: What outsiders know of this comes from the movies (unfortunately including the Green Lantern movie--might be time to retire Hal Jordan), Justice League*, and Teen Titans (so, you know...might want to reimagine Starfire to reflect this). Keep that in mind if you're going to try to attract new readers.
* Which in conjunction with the GL movie has etched "John Stewart >>>>>>>>>>>> Hal Jordan" in letters of fire upon my brain. Sorry guys, have not idea if it's true of the comics, but it's true for me.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Thanas wrote:I am wondering if I should make a new thread about that and call it general introduction to European comics or something.

You should.
Dibs on making a long rant on Tintin or Asterix! Triple dibs on Morpeus (Although Technobarons, Incal are south american, no?).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

SMJB wrote:Here's an idea from a non-reader: how about if you start by giving your characters clear beginning, middles, and ends...and then when the story's over, you can start over in a completely different continuity?
I hate this idea, and I always will. It's fine if you don't care about anyone but Batman, but by the time there was enough world for a Secret Six or a Cable & Deadpool you'd be getting ready to tear it all down again.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:
Indeed.

This> anything American. Ever.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Styphon wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here...
An update:
As it turns out, DC could have avoided this whole mess by saying what they had planned: a page of somebody completely failing to understand what the team name "Suicide Squad" refers to (The Dirty Dozen as opposed to the Judean People's Front).

But don't worry, they found a new way to screw it up: the winner was already an artist for DC. So despite the stated purpose being to find "new", "undiscovered" talent, it ended up looking like one of those fake employment notices you see when an organisation isn't allowed to recruit internally but wants to anyway.