World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Zwinmar »

I'm definitively better with the TD's:
http://wotreplays.com/site/394764#malin ... zerj_ger_i

Victory!
Map: Malinovka
Date: 10/21/2013 4:13:59 PM
Vehicle: Panzerjäger I
Exp: 1,540 (x2) Credits: 8,770
Achievements: : Top Gun, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Zwinmar wrote:I'm definitively better with the TD's:
http://wotreplays.com/site/394764#malin ... zerj_ger_i

Victory!
Map: Malinovka
Date: 10/21/2013 4:13:59 PM
Vehicle: Panzerjäger I
Exp: 1,540 (x2) Credits: 8,770
Achievements: : Top Gun, Sharpshooter, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Why so low tier?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Everyone starts at low tiers.

Except rerolls who buy high tier prems to skip low tiers and have bigger purple.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Ghetto edit: I noticed you carried a lot of HE.

Tier 2 is about the last time where that will work out for you, because it will very rarely penetrate you will do a tiny fraction of the listed damage, and enemies will be able to basically ignore the fact you are shooting them. At most carry one HE shell just in case you need to guarantee a reset against something hard to pen (but then you can just shoot tracks anyway because that counts for the reset, then start shooting gold like I did in that VK3001D game)
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I us HE just to fill up the ammo slots, cause the notification annoys me, and HE is usually cheaper,
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I rarely carry any more than 3 or so HE shells personally (regardless of tank).
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Okay, that was odd. I was just in an 8-8 match in my ST-1.

By which I mean...each team had just 8 players. Did they change the team size for top tier or something?
Weirdest one I've ever had was a match where I was the only tier 9.

And I was top tier, too.

Now, carrying in a T95 is pretty difficult, especially when your remaining teammates are afraid of the artillery piece that has been firing at you the entire match. Fortunately, the enemy tried to kill me instead of forcing me to move. The joys of leading idiots into battle against fools.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zwinmar wrote:I us HE just to fill up the ammo slots, cause the notification annoys me, and HE is usually cheaper,
Just fill your loadout with AP. AP is cheap enough at low tiers that you can't possibly lose money. After all, you only pay for what you fired.

And really, don't carry HE. I have actually lost matches when I used to carry as many as 10 HE out of 70 shells because I ran out of AP.

HE: Just Say No.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Is there something wrong with the profanity filter? I have, as always, turned it off, and still I see a lot of stars instead of the naughty words.

Nice weekend with 30% on ammo. Bought premium ammo for 3 000 000 credits. BTW, have any of you tried premium ammo on the Pz1c? I think that must be the biggest waste of gold/credits you can do in this game. 400 credits pr shot instead of 3 and 8 shots on each burst (I think).
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I usually carry about 5 HE shells for those situations when AP just dings and I don't want to spend my premium shells. They should do module damage better than AP and don't need to penetrate. This is for all my tiers.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

The Infidel wrote:I usually carry about 5 HE shells for those situations when AP just dings and I don't want to spend my premium shells. They should do module damage better than AP and don't need to penetrate. This is for all my tiers.
The problem at higher tiers is that HE shells start BOUNCING on the extreme armor they're facing, or doing zero damage. In those cases, it is better to shoot one gold round rather than a few HE shells for the same cost.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Vendetta wrote:Ghetto edit: I noticed you carried a lot of HE.

Tier 2 is about the last time where that will work out for you, because it will very rarely penetrate you will do a tiny fraction of the listed damage, and enemies will be able to basically ignore the fact you are shooting them. At most carry one HE shell just in case you need to guarantee a reset against something hard to pen (but then you can just shoot tracks anyway because that counts for the reset, then start shooting gold like I did in that VK3001D game)
I get pretty good results with HE in my Hetzer. Of course, I use the 105mm, which has high enough HE alpha to punch through tier 6 armor and still do 100 damage. *shrugs*
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

krakonfour wrote:
The Infidel wrote:I usually carry about 5 HE shells for those situations when AP just dings and I don't want to spend my premium shells. They should do module damage better than AP and don't need to penetrate. This is for all my tiers.
The problem at higher tiers is that HE shells start BOUNCING on the extreme armor they're facing, or doing zero damage. In those cases, it is better to shoot one gold round rather than a few HE shells for the same cost.
I use it mostly on high tier. Everything with an open cabin or small tiers gets hurt. When I play high tier, I often let my first round be HE because I'm most likely to meet a scout first. Man, either I squat them like flies, or their tracks go off and they die soon after. I don't use HE often, but it is worth having a few of them, just in case. I once took a snap shot at a T-50-2 with my IS-4. Man, that thing died fast. :) Module damage doesn't show unless it is tracks or your commander has eagle eye, but a damaged ammo rack or gun can really ruin the game for the one you're shooting. Sometimes even premium shells doesn't work and then HE can be handy to slow down the enemy, but to be honest, I use HE on average only every fifth game or so except for that first round.
Darth Yoshi wrote:I get pretty good results with HE in my Hetzer. Of course, I use the 105mm, which has high enough HE alpha to punch through tier 6 armor and still do 100 damage. *shrugs*
If you use the 105, HE is the way to go on Hetzer. AP has only 64 penetration and can bounce a bit. On Hetzer with the 105, I would say the opposite. Carry mostly HE and a few AP/APCR (if you can afford them). I never really tried Hetzer/105 with APCR when I had it, as I can remember. I bet that could be awesome. Now, that you can buy APCR with credits, I see no reason not to carry 2-3 of those. I sold my Hetzer with heavy heart a long time ago, but had a few great games with it.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The Infidel wrote:Is there something wrong with the profanity filter? I have, as always, turned it off, and still I see a lot of stars instead of the naughty words.
It's a bug in 8.8. Some say turning it on and then off again works, but I've had no success.
Yeah, I usually do as well, except on guns where HE is just a waste of space. Even have a few on my T95 and T110E3, if only to destroy a Leo 1 when I see it, or when I just feel like doing a little spalling.
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Imperial528 wrote:
The Infidel wrote:Is there something wrong with the profanity filter? I have, as always, turned it off, and still I see a lot of stars instead of the naughty words.
It's a bug in 8.8. Some say turning it on and then off again works, but I've had no success.
It works for me, you have to remember to do it every time you open the game.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Turn off/on censor, hit apply, turn on/off censor, hit apply. Should work then.

On the HE note, I only actually load it in the gun when at least half the team is lower teir than I am, as a general rule of thumb.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Malagar wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:
It works for me, you have to remember to do it every time you open the game.
It's never worked for me, and it's a frustrating bug.

Not as frustrating as German low-tiers, though. God damned they are horrid to play from stock. And in some cases, play at all.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I used to carry a few HE in my high tier tanks "just in case," but after months of not firing a single one I don't even carry any anymore. AP/APCR/HEAT are always better options.

The one exception if I actually had it would be thr FV215b 183, but that's an entirely different type of HE.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Vendetta wrote:
Zwinmar wrote:I us HE just to fill up the ammo slots, cause the notification annoys me, and HE is usually cheaper,
Just fill your loadout with AP. AP is cheap enough at low tiers that you can't possibly lose money. After all, you only pay for what you fired.

And really, don't carry HE. I have actually lost matches when I used to carry as many as 10 HE out of 70 shells because I ran out of AP.

HE: Just Say No.

How the hell are you firing that many shots in one match? I usually carry 5 or 10 prem rounds and 5 or 10 HE, I haven't run out of ammo since I was using the SU-5, which only carried 14 shots total.

I generally* find using prem ammo to be a punishment, almost every time I use APCR or HEAT, it either bounces or otherwise does no damage. Its infuriating.

*Exception, the extra blast radius of the T92's prem shells has proven quite useful on occasion.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Is it normal to deal damage to an IS-7 by shooting it in the tracks with a T32's 105?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Yeah, shooting a tank in the tracks treats the tracks as a sort of armor, kind of. Essentially with the angle of your shot and what was behind the tracks, you shot through them and the armor to something soft and valuable. Usually this occurs when shooting at a drive sprocket but it can on just the side as well.

Also, that 105mm is beast anyway. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I kind of wish the 105mm had a bit more alpha, but other than that I agree that it's beast; especially when attached to the T32 which can pretty much hide in any ripple in the ground.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Jub wrote:I kind of wish the 105mm had a bit more alpha, but other than that I agree that it's beast; especially when attached to the T32 which can pretty much hide in any ripple in the ground.
I found the T32 to be okay, but the T29 before it and the M103 afterwards are real bests. The T32's main problem is not alpha or low penetration, but accuracy. 0.41 just doesn't allow you to compensate for the low pen by aiming accurately.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Well, aren't 105mm mid-range guns anyway?

Oh, and have a replay:

http://wotreplays.com/site/396581

Bwahaha! xvm gave us a 28% chance of victory. I guess that makes up for all the 70+% matches that I lost earlier tonight.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Well, aren't 105mm mid-range guns anyway?

Oh, and have a replay:

http://wotreplays.com/site/396581

Bwahaha! xvm gave us a 28% chance of victory. I guess that makes up for all the 70+% matches that I lost earlier tonight.
The win chance thing is always wrong, I switched it off.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art