World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Vendetta »

It's more that you're lucky you weren't facing someone sensible enough to line up a 350 pen APCR shell and blat you straight in the face.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Also true.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I honestly think that premium ammo for credits has messed up the game balance, to the detriment of slow, heavily armored tanks. Granted that high mobility being a better defense is a real truism of modern armored warfare. But WWII tanks we use in Tiers V, VI, and VII were often designed in a threat environment where the typical antitank weapon was a 37mm, 57mm, or short 75mm gun, with 100mm or less of penetration, with only a handful of exceptions.

And yet, a lot of Tier 5 and 6 tanks are quite capable of rolling out premium ammo that will penetrate virtually any Tier 6 or 7 tank from any angle. It makes armor into a bad joke.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk 11/8/2013 5:57:08 PM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 1,050
Credits received: 36,142 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 650)
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Man I love this thing.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I am seriously wondering just what the hell Wargaming has against tier seven tanks, especially mediums. Trying to get past the Comet and Pershing is pure hell, since all I face are tier nines. And the TD's. Dear jobu the TD's. They're turning into a goddamned plague, with 7-9 on a single team.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

on second account:

Victory!
Map: Erlenberg
Date: 11/8/2013 11:47:33 PM
Vehicle: Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. C
Exp: 615 Credits: 21,068
Achievements: : Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Holy fuck, tonight was absolutely unplayable. Major lag spikes the whole time. I gave up after about 5 matches when it became obvious the problem wasn't going to get any better. So much for my x5 XP...
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf 11/9/2013 10:15:47 AM
Vehicle: ST-I
Experience received: 5,400 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 54,315
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

The top-gun on this thing really makes it a different tank.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I really don't get scouting:

Proof
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Light tanks = OP as balls. (That AMX game could have been an epic scouting match but I stole all the damage as well)

Scouting, fundamentally, is about allowing your team to see targets beyond their own vision range. There are two ways of doing it, either finding a nice comfy bush and sitting in it spotting things and not firing at all, which means you can't be seen. This is called passive scouting. Or finding a position where you can repeatedly peek at a target to light it, allow your team to damage it, and be hidden again before anyone can shoot you. My favourite way to do this is to find a ridge and drive along it, peeking up every 10-15 seconds then straight back down. If you find a good rhythm of peeking you can basically relight targets just as your team is loaded and ready to shoot them. This is called active scouting.

The other thing you can do in high tier scouts is what I do, which is basically play like a baby medium. Use your mobility to get to the spotting positions, but don't decline the option to make damage, in fact the light tanks are great for opportunist damage because you either have the autoloader to clip out a fool, or you have a sub 5 second reload on a 200 alpha gun.

Unfortunately, despite the fact it has "scout" matchmaking the A-20 is terrible at scouting (much as it is terrible at everything else) because it has puny vision range, puny guns, and poor turning ability. The only saving grace of the A-20 is that the T-34 comes after it. (A-20 is easily the worst of the tanks with scout MM and really shouldn't have it, even more than the other tier 4s shouldn't)
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Zwinmar wrote:I really don't get scouting:

Proof
I watched the replay, and while you made some mistakes, you have some of the fundamentals down.

You spent the first five minutes doing half court scouting, which is exactly what you want to do on that map. You were even making the proper kinds of movements for active scouting.. Unfortunately you never actually peeked over the central ridge enough to actually spot anything. You basically spent the first five minutes of the match just doing figure eights on your side of the map.

The first time you got a really good spot the whole game when was you finally went over the ridge on to their side of the map. That was also the right thing to do. By then, half the enemy team was dead and the map had really opened up. Scouts really shine in the second half of the game when they have freedom of movement. It makes scouting easier, and it makes attacking the enemy easier. After you went over the edge though, you should have just either continued straight and tried to get the enemy arty, then continued on to other parts of the map trying to spot/attack more enemies, or popped right back over the central ridge back to your side of the map.

What you did instead was try to do the same thing you had been doing on your side of the map, which is continue moving in circles and figure eights, counting on the fact that you were in a dip of land and the fact that you were moving to keep you alive. Unfortunately, you were driving an A20, which is fast in a straight line, but bleeds speed like crazy in turns and the dip wasn't shallow enough to protect your tank from enemy fire. You just made yourself an easy target.

Basically... you're a newbie at scouting. You know what you should do, but you don't quite know how to do it yet. As you get more experience, and start to learn how the read the map and the terrain better, I see no reason why you couldn't become an excellent scout. Also, it's easier when you're in a real scout tank, and not the fucking A20.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Holy crap. I'd never thought I'd see it. I thought I'd see a unicorn first...

So I'm playing an encounter on Steppes in my T20 in a tier 9 game. I'm on the west flank with the majority of my team, and we demolished the enemy on that side. Unfortunately, the enemy did the same thing on the east flank and are now capping. That's when I realise that all the tanks near me are really fucking slow, so I rush to the cap, since we would surely lose otherwise.

I'm almost there, and I have my life left. An AMX 13/75 tries to intercept me, as well as an enemy TD. But I managed to light up the cap just before I died, which is all I wanted in the first place. And then...

The arty reset the cap. I sacrificed myself and my team took advantage instead of just watching me die!

Then a few minutes later, when the majority of my team is still slowly rumbling to the cap, a T30 realises that we're still going to lose, and goes on a suicide run just to light up the cap again. He died, but accomplished his goal.

And then arty reset the cap again. Again someone sacrificed himself, and again it was taken advantage of!

We ended up winning.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Had a battle in the VK3002M on Sand River, we had a unicum player amongst us which helped quite a bit as both sides were mostly evenly matched. Since I was fully kitted out and had coated optics along with fully trained crew I was able to help spot and flank snipe a number of opfor guys enough for my teammates on my side of the map to finish them off. It's so much better having guys who know how to coordinate like that. :)
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Interesting game. Siegfried line, me in a t1 heavy. I go field, along with 2 others. Entire enemy team goes city, we 3 sneak in behind and cap to win, as the only tanks on our team still alive. Not a single one of the 11 enemy tanks still alive at the end even saw us. Of course, it was my first game of the day in that tank, so my "x5" victory came to 665 exp.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Finally unlocked a tier VI vehicle, the Hellcat. I do need to train my crew up in my T49 first though so only going to be playing it for the 5x multiplier for the time being.

Also, I think I'm going to get back that crap td wannabe and work my way toward the Chafee
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Just had a game with my SU-26 and we lost. I did some damage, but they were better than us and a Hetzer got me. The battle report showed he did 9 kills and 1600 of dmg. That is quite much for such a low tier and I saw this was the most kills he ever got, so I opened a private channel and congratulated him. He seemed very suspicious at my first congrats-statement, probably thinking I was sarcastic and angry for him killing me, so I had to reassure him. I can swear at players ingame sometimes, so I try to congratulate people who do very well to balance out at least a little bit.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

How do you even get 1 spotting damage.

Really.

It's not even like anyone stole the 1HP kill because I ammoracked it.

I guess it must have been one of the lemmings firing HE, but really. 1 spotting damage. (Okay, second most actual damage on the team, but that's just standard AMX terrorising the neighborhood business)
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Could have been a very low speed ram, maybe.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

If a guy is close enough to ram the target, wouldn't he also be close enough to spot the target himself, and therefore not give you any spotting XP?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I'd guess it was some HE splash that just barely counted as a hit. Or is there a minimum for that sort of damage to be counted?
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I'd guess it was some HE splash that just barely counted as a hit. Or is there a minimum for that sort of damage to be counted?
Its probably that KV3 that shot three HE shells, hit twice... for 3 dmg.

I have this for you:
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Huh...Warplanes is live. Doubt I'll get it mind you (I only have my mouse and keyboard, no joystick) but its about time. Now where's Warships? :P
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Huh...Warplanes is live. Doubt I'll get it mind you (I only have my mouse and keyboard, no joystick) but its about time. Now where's Warships? :P
Actually from what I've read on the forums the game actually plays better with a mouse and keyboard than it does with a joystick.
Though I still prefer driving my tanks to flying the skies.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Warplanes is broken and shit at the moment. The balance is horribly fucked to the point that there's basically no point playing anything other than energy fighters, preferably the German heavy branch because the pace of the game rewards being monstrously overgunned.

Warships is about to enter closed alpha, you can see the signup requirements on the website.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Just had a game with my BT-2. Fast little bugger! I think it is the best tank of its tier, but I died... In the end, there was 4 players on my team still alive and 2 on the other team (one with 5 kills). Only 2 of my team actually did something. One hid in a bush far from anyone and another parked in a bush just outside enemy capping circle, refusing to go inside and help the other 2 to cap. When enemy shoved up to stop the cap, his gun went everywhere except in the direction of the enemy. Thankfully, the 2 capping managed to kill off the enemy and we won by capping. I just had to check the stats of the guy who refused to cap. 42% win rate... Makes sense... I wonder if there is a way to find the best and worst player in WoT that have played ... lets say more than 1000 battles. Could be interesting to look at their stats.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting