World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:lol:

There are some tanks that are worth pushing (ST-1 on a hill) but there are some that just don't gain enough to bother. Like the TOG.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I find myself somewhat in the same boat as Simon_Jester, I want to improve but I keep being dumb. I have somehow pulled my WR up to 50% from 48%, but damn if I know how I did it.
Image[
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Xess wrote:I find myself somewhat in the same boat as Simon_Jester, I want to improve but I keep being dumb. I have somehow pulled my WR up to 50% from 48%, but damn if I know how I did it.
Use the techniques I mentioned on the previous page. I'll give you more if you want.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Some things to do to get better are:

1. Know the tanks you're fighting. You should aim to have a general understanding of where to shoot any given tank in whatever you're driving and have numbers come out of it. If you find it difficult to learn and process this whilst in a game, download Tank Inspector (at work so no link) and check out the armour layouts.

2. Disregard armour, acquire cover. The only sure way to protect your tank from enemy guns is a solid object between you and the gun. The only time enemies should have a line of sight to you is when you are going to shoot them. When you are going to shoot an enemy expose the least amount of your tank for the least amount of time possible to make the shot. This goes even in something like a hull down T29. Don't stay exposed and rely on that turret armour to protect you over the long term, your cupola can still be hit or they could just fire gold. Expose, fire, and return to cover. Pick covered positions such that the enemy has to expose the maximum amount of his tank for the longest time possible to get at you.

3. Situational Awareness is king. Install a minimap mod which shows last known locations, the 445m circle and the 700m, draw square. Press the + key a couple of times. A few more than that. Once more. There you go. Make your minimap as big as you reasonably can and get into the habit of looking at it regularly. Like if you are not aiming at a tank right now then glance down at the map. Even if you're in a peekaboom fight you have time in those 10 seconds of your reload to get quite a good look at the map.

The first thing to work on is knowing who can be pointing a gun at you. Look at where the enemies are on the minimap and the last known locations of enemies not currently on the minimap and decide whether they can be pointing a gun at you. Also pay attention to commonly used locations, if you regularly see an enemy in a given location operate on the assumption that there is someone there.

Prioritise knowing where particularly high alpha guns and autoloaders are and what they are doing.

4. Conserve HP in the early game. If taking a shot in the early game is likely to lose you hitpoints then wait for the enemy to use their gun on someone else. That means you will have more hitpoints available in the late game and can use that as an advantage.

5. Fight where you have an advantage. Advantages can come in a number of flavours. Either having more tanks than the enemy (and therefore more things for them to shoot at that aren't you), favourable terrain that allows you minimal exposure to fire, or just them having low HP and you being able to soak a shot and kill them. When you are looking for advantages look for:

Tanks that are between the spot circle and draw box. If a tank is more than 445m away then he cannot spot you, if you can see a tank that can't spot you when you shoot him. He will be unable to return fire. Being able to shoot without being seen is the most powerful advantage to gain because you can keep doing it.

Opportunities to outnumber an enemy force. More tanks around you is more tanks for enemies to shoot instead of you, preserving your HP.

Tanks that are on low HP. If an enemy has low hitpoints then he can't do much damage back before he's dead.

If you are at a disadvantage, decline to engage. Use the S key and go to a position where you have an advantage.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Have you tried the mods I posted? How effective are they for your configuration?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I tried the tweaker for my laptop. Gave me a good 5-10 more fps just by turning off exhaust and dead tank smoke.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Imperial528 wrote:I tried the tweaker for my laptop. Gave me a good 5-10 more fps just by turning off exhaust and dead tank smoke.
More taxing are the shell explosions and object destruction (wall crushing) smoke.
Texture packs help greatly too. What resolution are you playing on?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

On my laptop I play at 1366x768, with lowest settings across the board. Shell explosions aren't that taxing anymore with the exhaust turned off at the same time, so I keep them on.

On my desktop I play at 1600x900 and maximum at 60 fps.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Imperial528 wrote:On my laptop I play at 1366x768, with lowest settings across the board. Shell explosions aren't that taxing anymore with the exhaust turned off at the same time, so I keep them on.

On my desktop I play at 1600x900 and maximum at 60 fps.
You have no problems then. Simon Jester struggles at 6-7fps. I had that once, and found the solution, and now I want to help him if this thread is visited again.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The human eye can't really process anything faster than 10-15 fps anyway. There may be a slight qualitative experience above that, but if my computer were that good I'd crank up the graphics quality until it was running at 15-20 fps again, because the prettier graphics are worth more than a 60 fps frame rate.

At 6-7 fps, objects sometimes move in a noticeably jerky way, and the gap between frames is comparable to the human reaction time. It's a whole different order of problem.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The tweaker was helpful, as before I used it on my laptop I'd get massive framerate drop whenever a vehicle was destroyed or a shell flew into my face. I'd go from ~15-25 fps to 3 easily for about 5-10 seconds.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Simon_Jester wrote:The human eye can't really process anything faster than 10-15 fps anyway. There may be a slight qualitative experience above that, but if my computer were that good I'd crank up the graphics quality until it was running at 15-20 fps again, because the prettier graphics are worth more than a 60 fps frame rate.

At 6-7 fps, objects sometimes move in a noticeably jerky way, and the gap between frames is comparable to the human reaction time. It's a whole different order of problem.
The human brain can perceive far, far more than 10-15 fps, in fact, testing has shown that humans can detect a difference of one frame in 200 every second. The human eye can physiologically, if not psychologically, process up to 1000 fps, and the average human, tasked with determining what framerate they are looking at, can tell the difference up to around 150 fps. In fact;
The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.
Maybe you're used to it, but 10-15 fps for me is so jerky and stuttery that I consider it nearly unplayable. I value maintaining 60+ fps as far more important than some slightly improved textures, since everything will always look as fluid as possible.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

There's a program linked near the bottom of the page that lets you see an image with two separate halves, and you can adjust the framerate of each. The difference between 15 and 60 is staggering.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

24 fps is the absolute minimum for gameplay.
In WoT, it is important to maintain high fps not because you can percieve the difference (no gameplay difference between 25 and 60 for example) but for those lag spike and freezes which make your fps plummet.

With 25 fps, the sharp drop will allow you to react to what is happening. At 6/7 fps, all you can is lift you hands from the keyboard and wait for things to die down.

Seriously, just increase your fps.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

The idea that 15fps or above is indistinguishable is insane. 30fps looks like a horrible abortion compared to 60, and higher framerates look better still.

Have a look at this:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

and see the horiffic juddery mess 30fps looks like next to 60fps.

Beyond about 30fps the improvements start to tail off, and after 60fps you're at diminishing returns, but still it does make a very significant difference to your ability as a player to process and interpolate movement to predict motion of targets and react to things. This makes much more difference in twitch shooters compared to WoT where you should be engaging in a commanding position or not at all, but it still makes a difference, and losing due to controllable technical factors is miserable.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:The human eye can't really process anything faster than 10-15 fps anyway. There may be a slight qualitative experience above that, but if my computer were that good I'd crank up the graphics quality until it was running at 15-20 fps again, because the prettier graphics are worth more than a 60 fps frame rate.

The human brain can perceive far, far more than 10-15 fps, in fact, testing has shown that humans can detect a difference of one frame in 200 every second. The human eye can physiologically, if not psychologically, process up to 1000 fps, and the average human, tasked with determining what framerate they are looking at, can tell the difference up to around 150 fps. In fact;
Really? Interesting.

I was basing my position on the fact that the eye will start automatically merging multiple frames into a single continuous motion at, say, 8 fps... but will not normally do so at 4-5 fps.

I'm not entirely surprised that there's a qualitative difference in the experience, or that you can tell the difference between 30 fps, 60 fps, and 120 fps if you look for it. But I think somewhere around 20 fps would be my personal threshold of "good enough," when the gap between frames is shorter than my reaction time could ever be.

So if I had 20 fps, I would cease to ever complain about it.
Maybe you're used to it, but 10-15 fps for me is so jerky and stuttery that I consider it nearly unplayable. I value maintaining 60+ fps as far more important than some slightly improved textures, since everything will always look as fluid as possible.
I'm used to it and consider, say, 20-25 fps to be fluid 'enough.' At that point, I can meaningfully judge the position and velocity of objects accurately, and a typical quick-moving enemy tank is only moving, say, 40-50 centimeters between frames. Since I can't aim the gun much more accurately than to the nearest meter at my typical combat ranges anyway, and since all the targets are, say, two meters high and at least 3-4 meters long, at that point I'm sitting pretty.

It's when the tank appears to move in two-meter jumps rendered 0.2 seconds apart that I have a problem.
krakonfour wrote:24 fps is the absolute minimum for gameplay.
In WoT, it is important to maintain high fps not because you can percieve the difference (no gameplay difference between 25 and 60 for example) but for those lag spike and freezes which make your fps plummet.
Those don't happen to me often enough to be more than a minor inconvenience, and a deterrent against using sniper mode (which always causes a lag/fps spike for me for some reason).
Seriously, just increase your fps.
I'm lazy, complacent, and under no circumstances will I buy a hardware upgrade for my computer just so I can play a game. I'm sorry if that offends you.

I DID used to use a compressed texture pack that helped, but it's been rendered obsolete by successive updates to the game, so I'd have to go back and reload it, which I'm willing to do eventually when I get around to it.
Steel wrote:The idea that 15fps or above is indistinguishable is insane. 30fps looks like a horrible abortion compared to 60, and higher framerates look better still.
I accept that I am flat wrong about the point of diminishing returns, that it is several times higher than I thought. However, I still think that anyone who's complaining about how, say, they can't get World of Tanks to play about 30 fps is off their rocker.

If *I* can play the game to a mediocre standard of performance at 6-7 fps, then anyone who's complaining about 25-30 not being good enough for them is just blaming their tools for their own imperfections.
Have a look at this:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

and see the horiffic juddery mess 30fps looks like next to 60fps.
I wouldn't say 30 looks like a "horrific juddery mess." The difference is detectable, but I wouldn't see any practical difference in terms of my ability to lay a gunsight on that UFO and shoot it by aiming ahead along its line of flight.

Of course, maybe my brain just processes stuff weirdly; I also drive people nuts by running the windshield wipers at low frequency in the rain, because a windshield that to me is still quite usable is to them covered with enough raindrops that somehow they can't track the positions of cars through it.
Beyond about 30fps the improvements start to tail off, and after 60fps you're at diminishing returns, but still it does make a very significant difference to your ability as a player to process and interpolate movement to predict motion of targets and react to things. This makes much more difference in twitch shooters compared to WoT where you should be engaging in a commanding position or not at all, but it still makes a difference, and losing due to controllable technical factors is miserable.
I fail to be miserable about it, actually. It's when I put myself in a bad physical position and get blown up by being a fool that I feel bad.

My 'gaming rig' (ha!) might be inadequate to someone else's needs, but I am basically content, not that I'm going to turn up the option to improve it for free if I can find the time.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Simon_Jester wrote:I'm used to it and consider, say, 20-25 fps to be fluid 'enough.' At that point, I can meaningfully judge the position and velocity of objects accurately, and a typical quick-moving enemy tank is only moving, say, 40-50 centimeters between frames. Since I can't aim the gun much more accurately than to the nearest meter at my typical combat ranges anyway, and since all the targets are, say, two meters high and at least 3-4 meters long, at that point I'm sitting pretty.

It's when the tank appears to move in two-meter jumps rendered 0.2 seconds apart that I have a problem.
Ah, but do you really want to be hitting that huge upper plate or do you want to detrack through the front wheel? Weakspots are tiny. It reduces you to the level of a newbie shooting in the general direction of the enemy. You also take longer to aim, and sniping from a bush (most advantageous position in WoT) is off-limits to you.

And don't even try shooting on the move :)

Those don't happen to me often enough to be more than a minor inconvenience, and a deterrent against using sniper mode (which always causes a lag/fps spike for me for some reason).
My computer can run WoT, with the current settings and mods, at 30-40 fps. I've reduced it to something on the level of a PS2 game. However, maxing out my graphics card when I'm just looking at grass is both taxing on my small laptop fan* and utterly useless to me. I manually capped my fps at 24.

The dips in sniper mode are not random. Three things happen that kill your fps:
-The black border around your screen is a huge >1MB file that eats up the Vram that should be dedicated to other things. Loading it causes a temporary dip in fps.
-Faraway textures that were rendered at 6% now have to be loaded to full resolution as you zoom in on them. The switch from low to high textures is noticeable on slow computers. While your GPU is flooding its vram with the new textures, your fps drops.
-The previous events cause major but temporary drops in fps. It's the bushes that your are sniping through that cause the persistent drop in fps. This is caused by them being rendered as multiple, moving and overlapping semitransparent materials, all in full resolution.
I'm lazy, complacent, and under no circumstances will I buy a hardware upgrade for my computer just so I can play a game. I'm sorry if that offends you.

I DID used to use a compressed texture pack that helped, but it's been rendered obsolete by successive updates to the game, so I'd have to go back and reload it, which I'm willing to do eventually when I get around to it.
I can't buy a hardware upgrade because I don't have the money, so the end result is the same. There's a 'check my rig' thread over here somewhere. I have an OK processor (2.4GHz Duo) and an utterly shitty GPU (nvidia 8400GS) that is worse than the current generation of integrated crap.

What are your specs? If you don't know them, just post the model of your computer.

The best fps increase you can get from the texture packs comes from the Particles and Speedtree folder. Particles folder helps with the random fps drops caused by artillery shells or tanks exploding. Speedtree folder is a massive help with the biggest resource hog of WoT: the trees. The remaining textures help with map loading times and eliminate the 2-3s freezes when loading the model of a recently destroyed tank or that on an enemy that has just dissapeared. I don't know about you, but having an opponent peek around a corner, shoot me then retreat before I've even rendered his tank is not something I like.

*:On top of the above, I have the world's worst ventilation fan. The GPU automatically throttles back at a temperature of 80 degrees C. It climbs to this temperature in 15 minutes from cold if I max it out, severely limiting gaming sessions. Limiting the fps to 24 and forcing the fan to go at the fastest RPM possible all the time managed to keep my temperature a constant 65C.
Steel wrote:The idea that 15fps or above is indistinguishable is insane. 30fps looks like a horrible abortion compared to 60, and higher framerates look better still.
I accept that I am flat wrong about the point of diminishing returns, that it is several times higher than I thought. However, I still think that anyone who's complaining about how, say, they can't get World of Tanks to play about 30 fps is off their rocker.
I'm going to have to agree with Simon on this one.
5-10 atrocious.
10-20 playable but tiresome and stressful.
20-30 playable.
30-40 perfect
40+ Eye candy
60+ You need a new monitor
200+ Yay now I can spot and react to missiles incoming at relative mach 4 speed like those fighter pilots were asked to.
If *I* can play the game to a mediocre standard of performance at 6-7 fps, then anyone who's complaining about 25-30 not being good enough for them is just blaming their tools for their own imperfections.
I played 6000 games with 7-11 fps, then 5000 more games with 11-15 fps when I discovered overclocking. I brought a new computer and played 8000 more games at 22-26 fps.

My WN6 rating went from 800 (slightly above bad) to 980 (average) to 1184 (above average). The problem with the last stat is that after 19k played games, its very hard to make the rating budge even if you play very well. For example, my last-1000-games rating is 1723 (unicum).
Of course, maybe my brain just processes stuff weirdly; I also drive people nuts by running the windshield wipers at low frequency in the rain, because a windshield that to me is still quite usable is to them covered with enough raindrops that somehow they can't track the positions of cars through it.
But Siiiiiiiiiiiiimon, that kiiiiiiiiiiiilllllls people!
My 'gaming rig' (ha!) might be inadequate to someone else's needs, but I am basically content, not that I'm going to turn up the option to improve it for free if I can find the time.
WoT tweaker and texture mods take 10 minutes together. Overclocking can be accomplished over an hour if you have proper instructions.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've been playing the game at a standard 15ish FPS since day one. It's not really proved much of a problem in the last 5000 matches, I've got to say.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

krakonfour wrote:*:On top of the above, I have the world's worst ventilation fan. The GPU automatically throttles back at a temperature of 80 degrees C. It climbs to this temperature in 15 minutes from cold if I max it out, severely limiting gaming sessions. Limiting the fps to 24 and forcing the fan to go at the fastest RPM possible all the time managed to keep my temperature a constant 65C.
How is your computer placed when you are playing?
If it is placed flat on a table then you are making it harder for the fan to suck in enough air.
You can try propping it up at the back so that it stands at an angle, that should help. If you are willing to spend a small amount of money then you can try buying a laptop stand with a build in fan.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

krakonfour wrote:Ah, but do you really want to be hitting that huge upper plate or do you want to detrack through the front wheel? Weakspots are tiny. It reduces you to the level of a newbie shooting in the general direction of the enemy. You also take longer to aim, and sniping from a bush (most advantageous position in WoT) is off-limits to you.
Actually, sniping is pretty much the only thing I'm in a position to do effectively- take up a firing position, shoot, look for new firing position. In mobile battles, yes, I'm at a grave disadvantage.
-The black border around your screen is a huge >1MB file that eats up the Vram that should be dedicated to other things. Loading it causes a temporary dip in fps.
Is there any way to fix that? That sounds incredibly stupid.
-Faraway textures that were rendered at 6% now have to be loaded to full resolution as you zoom in on them. The switch from low to high textures is noticeable on slow computers. While your GPU is flooding its vram with the new textures, your fps drops.
Yep.
-The previous events cause major but temporary drops in fps. It's the bushes that your are sniping through that cause the persistent drop in fps. This is caused by them being rendered as multiple, moving and overlapping semitransparent materials, all in full resolution.
Ah, good point, though it happens when I'm not looking through a bush too.

I can't buy a hardware upgrade because I don't have the money, so the end result is the same. There's a 'check my rig' thread over here somewhere. I have an OK processor (2.4GHz Duo) and an utterly shitty GPU (nvidia 8400GS) that is worse than the current generation of integrated crap.

What are your specs? If you don't know them, just post the model of your computer.
Satellite C655 laptop, integrated graphics. Bought it in spring 2011; my purchase criteria were:

Largest reasonably practical screen? Optimize this subject to constraints:
Web browser? Y/N
Office? Y/N
Cheap? Y/N

That was very much consistent with my needs at the time. Due to lifestyle changes and a computer breakdown, it has sadly become my primary if not sole computer.
The best fps increase you can get from the texture packs comes from the Particles and Speedtree folder. Particles folder helps with the random fps drops caused by artillery shells or tanks exploding. Speedtree folder is a massive help with the biggest resource hog of WoT: the trees. The remaining textures help with map loading times and eliminate the 2-3s freezes when loading the model of a recently destroyed tank or that on an enemy that has just dissapeared. I don't know about you, but having an opponent peek around a corner, shoot me then retreat before I've even rendered his tank is not something I like.
Yep. Been there occasionally, though not often.

The other point I'd like to make is that unlike many people you may be familiar with, I have a strong "can't be assed" reaction to serious optimization of my existing computer hardware. I haven't got a computer geek bone in my body, and my actual job is psychologically demanding enough that I have very little energy left over for tinkering. Pretty much everything I do off work, I do either for other people's sake, or for short term entertainment value.
But Siiiiiiiiiiiiimon, that kiiiiiiiiiiiilllllls people!
That kills people who can't keep track of the position of a car when there's a raindrop in the way, and the people they crash into. I can't do anything about the second, and I'm not the first. :D
WoT tweaker and texture mods take 10 minutes together. Overclocking can be accomplished over an hour if you have proper instructions.
Overclocking I'll pass on because the of risk of doing it improperly; it is NOT worth even a tiny chance of frying my computer. The laptop I play World of Tanks on is not a luxury item even if I use it for games, and while I could probably make do without it I would really prefer to not have to.

Tweaker/texture mods I have considered and even DONE in the past, but it seems like every time I consider it, it's right before a new release comes out and I figure I'll hold off until the new update.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Simon_Jester wrote:Actually, sniping is pretty much the only thing I'm in a position to do effectively- take up a firing position, shoot, look for new firing position. In mobile battles, yes, I'm at a grave disadvantage.
I see...
Is there any way to fix that? That sounds incredibly stupid.
It's Wargamin levels of optimization, you mean. Use this.
Ah, good point, though it happens when I'm not looking through a bush too.
It's not just the bushes, true, but it's the most noticeable. Groups of tree trunks are killers as well, as is sniping into a built-up area.
Satellite C655 laptop, integrated graphics. Bought it in spring 2011; my purchase criteria were:

Largest reasonably practical screen? Optimize this subject to constraints:
Web browser? Y/N
Office? Y/N
Cheap? Y/N

That was very much consistent with my needs at the time. Due to lifestyle changes and a computer breakdown, it has sadly become my primary if not sole computer.
The good: 2.2GHz processor.
The bad: 533MHz GPU
The ugly: Integrated card means no onboard RAM for the GPU. In other words, you are constantly loading stuff from the harddrive at 2-10x slower speeds than a dedicated GPU can from its RAM.

This computer is best comparable to my old laptop. It had a 1.7GHz processor and a 400MHz integrated piece of shit. Still, I managed to pull 14 fps out of it.
Your best bet is to heavily reduce all textures and effects. Go into your graphics manager (Intel) and opimize it for 3D work: all setting to performance instead of quality. That helps a bit. If you've got a good program, you can do other tricks such as forcing antialiasing off and prerendering only 1 frame instead of the default 3.
You can't overclock an integrated card, nor will I touch that CPU. Try running the game through something such as Game Booster by Razer. It dedicates your entire computer to only running WoT. However, its not good if you want to alt-tab and do something else in the meanwhile.
The other point I'd like to make is that unlike many people you may be familiar with, I have a strong "can't be assed" reaction to serious optimization of my existing computer hardware. I haven't got a computer geek bone in my body, and my actual job is psychologically demanding enough that I have very little energy left over for tinkering. Pretty much everything I do off work, I do either for other people's sake, or for short term entertainment value.
Do you want a list of links you want to click on and just Execute Ok Ok Ok Done while watching TV?
This optimization is going to help you psychologically. If you come home tired in the head, struggling to shoot teleporting targets at 6 fps is not my idea of relaxed fun.
Overclocking I'll pass on because the of risk of doing it improperly; it is NOT worth even a tiny chance of frying my computer. The laptop I play World of Tanks on is not a luxury item even if I use it for games, and while I could probably make do without it I would really prefer to not have to.
Overclocking is much safer than that if you know what you're doing. The stories of people frying their computers are true... but they're the same guys who slide the bar all the way to the left on their first attemp, or try and break their card with a pencil lead to increase the voltage manually...
Tweaker/texture mods I have considered and even DONE in the past, but it seems like every time I consider it, it's right before a new release comes out and I figure I'll hold off until the new update.
This is wrong.
Updates 8.3 to 8.6 could run with the same texture packs. Updates 8.3 to 8.8 were fine with he same speedtree and particle folders. 8.9 and 8.10, and even the upcoming 8.11 share the tetures.

Why?

Each update only changes a small fraction of the overall content in the game. Five new tank skins in the database is nothing compared to the gigabytes of map and object textures. When a new map is added, it does not interfere with your texture mod, since it creates a new folder for it. Particles were handled the same way for a dozen updates in a row, so compressing them from the start would give you a mod viable for a year or two.

The bottom line is that the 8.10 texture mod you're putting off right now will still be effective for many months to come. If there's a new map, and you start loading it, then you'll notice a shift from low to high res. A new tank will look sharper and better than all the other modded tanks. And that is how it's going to be for months.

Just do it. Unzip, run the exe and put it in the res folder.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

krakonfour wrote:Do you want a list of links you want to click on and just Execute Ok Ok Ok Done while watching TV?
This optimization is going to help you psychologically. If you come home tired in the head, struggling to shoot teleporting targets at 6 fps is not my idea of relaxed fun.
You'd be amazed. :D
Overclocking is much safer than that if you know what you're doing. The stories of people frying their computers are true... but they're the same guys who slide the bar all the way to the left on their first attemp, or try and break their card with a pencil lead to increase the voltage manually...
I have come to believe that there are times in a man's life when he should just leave something alone, if he does not see it as broken and if there is a risk of a screwup costing hundreds of dollars. Even if the risk is small, why court it?
This is wrong.
Updates 8.3 to 8.6 could run with the same texture packs. Updates 8.3 to 8.8 were fine with he same speedtree and particle folders. 8.9 and 8.10, and even the upcoming 8.11 share the tetures.
Let me clarify: each time I look at tweaker/texture mods, I look at the World of Tanks website and find out there's going to be a significant graphics overhaul soon. That explains why I don't have such mods on my computer already, because I keep forgetting to do it again for three months by which point Wargaming has another major graphics overhaul coming.

Now, digging up another set of such mods sounds like a great idea and I'll try to remember to do it... one of these days.

Please don't patronize me.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I'd recommend a vegetation removal mod as that would speed your performance way the hell up, but unfortunately they just banned it on the NA server since it makes it way easier to shoot people behind them when there are any objects in between.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Researched:
Bat.-Châtillon 25 t researched. Undistributed experience spent: 195,370. Free Experience spent: 4,630.

Lorraine 40t done. Now just need the other four and a half million credits.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

So I just finished a 14/14 win session in my Type with this. My ~300 hp Type and a 55/53 against a full health Sturer Emil, ~100 hp Rhm and british arty.

Probably the tensest game I played in a long time. Killing even a TD from full health is nervewracking when you're waiting for an arty shell.

http://wotreplays.com/site/564022#self
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Just picked up the WT auf PzIV, and holy shit is it powerful. I thought the Borsig was good for its tier, but this thing is even better. Basically has a slightly improved version of the Jagdtigers gun on a small, reasonably fast, well camoed platform.