Modern and Post-Modern Military Aircraft: Analysis

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Marcus
Padawan Learner

Modern and Post-Modern Military Aircraft: Analysis

Post by Marcus »

I just wanted to throw this out there for commentary from those who know more than I do..

Modern Combat Aircraft- Who has the best what, and why? Some simple categories..

Interceptor- I ~assume~ that an ASRAAM-equipped F-22 takes the cake, but ive been wrong before. How capable are the last-generation Soviet 'Superfighters'? Pending entrance of the F-22 into major service, how do the aformentioend Soviet Superfighters compare with the late-build F-15s and F-14s? And are the people in Europe building anything on par?

Genericus Fighterus- I dont know what else to call it.. the F-16s, the F-18s, the Viggens and Eurofighters and the like of the world. Designed not to be the best aircraft in the sky... but the best aircraft we can afford alot of.

Groud-Attack- RAF Tornado? Something from Sukhoi or Illuyshin? Do the A-10s advantages outwigh its disadvantages? Dont you wish we still had F-111s and that SOMETHING had come out of the A-12 program?

Just seeking information... I grew up consuming manuals on military hardware, but they just dont print as many, or as easily accesible, ones as they did then.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Modern and Post-Modern Military Aircraft: Analysis

Post by NecronLord »

Marcus wrote:How capable are the last-generation Soviet 'Superfighters'?
The post soviet (we can't afford to implement them but we've got the designs) no one knows for sure, though there are a mix of crappy and terrifing rumours.

(I even heard one about the Russian Federation developing a working cloaking device :shock: )
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

NecronLord wrote:
The post soviet (we can't afford to implement them but we've got the designs) no one knows for sure, though there are a mix of crappy and terrifing rumours.
Which superfighters? The Russian Su-35/37 series is a very formidable heavy fighter- nothing can match it in the air until the F/A-22 comes out. The Indian's already have it inventory- the Su-30MKI is an Su-37UB in all but name. China's Su-30MKK aircraft aren't nearly as well equipped, though they're still extremely fearsome. What a difference an I and a K makes ... :)

If you mean the MiG MFI or the Sukhoi Su-47 FIRKIN (previously S-37 Berkut), then in the first case, this was meant to be the Russian 'Raptor killer' but it got axed, and is now being used a technology testbed for MiG's part in the PAK FA program (current program to create the next generation Russian fighter)- MiG is a subcontractor. Sukhoi, the prime contractor and victor of the tender to design the fighter, is using the Su-47 design for both testing and as a base for the new fighter- a line-drawing of the proposal was put up by Jane's Defense Weekly- it's a twin-engined (pair of 175kN class AL-41F turbofans) design in the same weight and size class as the FLANKER, with wings similar to those of the F/A-22 and a fuselage very similar to the Su-47 (with no canards). Of course, this design will be much refined as the process goes on. First prototype flight is expected in 2006, with IOC in 2010 and service in 2012.
(I even heard one about the Russian Federation developing a working cloaking device :shock: )
Ah ... the 'plasma stealth'. Everyone's skeptical about it. It's still pie in the sky, IMO.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Marcus wrote:Interceptor- I ~assume~ that an ASRAAM-equipped F-22 takes the cake, but ive been wrong before.
The F/A-22 will carry the AMRAAM and AIM-9X. The US withdrew from the ASRAAM project.
How capable are the last-generation Soviet 'Superfighters'?
Very.
Pending entrance of the F-22 into major service, how do the aformentioend Soviet Superfighters compare with the late-build F-15s and F-14s?
Generally superior to the Western designs, though the F-14D is probably a superior interceptor to any of those fighters.
And are the people in Europe building anything on par?
The Eurofighter Typhoon, which is quite good.
Genericus Fighterus
Prepare to be attacked for fake Latin.
I dont know what else to call it.. the F-16s, the F-18s, the Viggens and Eurofighters and the like of the world. Designed not to be the best aircraft in the sky... but the best aircraft we can afford alot of.
What about them? Eurofighter isn't supposed to be a "generic fighter." Viggen is being replaced by Gripen, IIRC. F-35 will dominate this market, though the Gripen may seize the low-end with its lower costs.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

phongn wrote: Generally superior to the Western designs, though the F-14D is probably a superior interceptor to any of those fighters.
Didn't they get rid of AIM-54 Phoenix?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Marcus
Padawan Learner

Post by Marcus »

1.) Im terribly well aware that it isnt real latin, being in my usage something of a verbal shorthand.

2.) Ahh, I suppose my mental grouping of production fighters into 'expensive and limited numerically' and 'less expensive, greater numerically', as represented by the USAF F-15/F-16, had blead over into other matters. It was my apparently misunderstanding that the Eurofighter was in the school of the F-16, intended to be more affordable and produced in greater numbers.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

MKSheppard wrote:
phongn wrote: Generally superior to the Western designs, though the F-14D is probably a superior interceptor to any of those fighters.
Didn't they get rid of AIM-54 Phoenix?
Effectively, the F-14 will be retired in the not too distant future and it is still the only aircraft capable of using that missile.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Some one forgot the JSF as a low end high numbers fighter. it will whoop any thing in that classes ass like there's no tomorrow. VTAL, and stealth, and lotsa other technological nuggets, c'mon it rocks.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Some one forgot the JSF as a low end high numbers fighter. it will whoop any thing in that classes ass like there's no tomorrow. VTAL, and stealth, and lotsa other technological nuggets, c'mon it rocks.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

darthdavid wrote:Some one forgot the JSF as a low end high numbers fighter. it will whoop any thing in that classes ass like there's no tomorrow. VTAL, and stealth, and lotsa other technological nuggets, c'mon it rocks.
i thought the funding on that program got pulled?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
darthdavid wrote:Some one forgot the JSF as a low end high numbers fighter. it will whoop any thing in that classes ass like there's no tomorrow. VTAL, and stealth, and lotsa other technological nuggets, c'mon it rocks.
Bit behind the times considering they'll start delivering the first units not a million years from now.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Lockheed won the JSF contract. I think the JSF is going to enter service before the end of the decade.

Still, I love the new Super Hornets.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Arrow Mk84 wrote:Still, I love the new Super Hornets.
The problem with the Super Hornets is that they have too short of legs still. They simply don't have the same range as the F-14 or A-6.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Vympel wrote:
Ah ... the 'plasma stealth'. Everyone's skeptical about it. It's still pie in the sky, IMO.
The opinion of the world stealth experts is that no one will have it within 50 years. I hold the opinions of designers who have actually built stealth aircraft and come from nations with more advanced electronics over totally unsupported Russian claims.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Umm no, the USN and USMC order recently got cut back, but the F-35 still is looking at firm orders for thousands of aircraft to about a dozen airforces.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Marcus wrote:I

Interceptor- I ~assume~ that an ASRAAM-equipped F-22 takes the cake, but ive been wrong before. How capable are the last-generation Soviet 'Superfighters'? Pending entrance of the F-22 into major service, how do the aformentioend Soviet Superfighters compare with the late-build F-15s and F-14s? And are the people in Europe building anything on par?
Of the planes named only the F-14 is actually and Interceptor. And that was only in mission, the design is a quite good fighter.

Groud-Attack- RAF Tornado? Something from Sukhoi or Illuyshin? Do the A-10s advantages outwigh its disadvantages? Dont you wish we still had F-111s and that SOMETHING had come out of the A-12 program?
Tornado and F-111 are both interdiction/strike aircraft. Not ground attack. Assuming we count things, which only exist as prototypes, the best is probably one of the recent Su-25 upgrades
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Marcus wrote:I just wanted to throw this out there for commentary from those who know more than I do..

Modern Combat Aircraft- Who has the best what, and why? Some simple categories..

Raptor is the best out there, equipped with AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-9X Sidewinder. With its combination of stealth, highly accurate missiles, and target prioritizing AI system, it's virtually unbeatable in most fights. If they're pitted class-to-class (F-14 against MiG-31, F-15 against Su-27), Russian and American fighters were roughly equivalent. American fighters tended to be slightly better for radar and weapons systems, Russian fighters were usually a touch more maneuverable for the large ones.
Genericus Fighterus- I dont know what else to call it.. the F-16s, the F-18s, the Viggens and Eurofighters and the like of the world. Designed not to be the best aircraft in the sky... but the best aircraft we can afford alot of.
Late block Falcons are still among the best. The Gripen's close in capabilities, but the new Sniper/Pantera system maintains the electronic superiority. I don't know exactly how their maneuverability compares, but everything I've heard makes it sound as if they're fairly close.
Depends on what you're looking for. In CAS, the Thunderbolt II is probably still among the best. Its 30mm GAU-8A Avenger autocannon is very useful against armor assets, and it is actually hard for other fighters to take out because it is so slow. The Frogfoot (Su-25) is another good CAS aircraft. Other than that, I can't think of a good one in use right now. The Harrier is a horrible airplane. It's weak structurally and has problems with vibration. Lockheed Martin engineers who have tried to develop electronics pods for it have given up because the centerline on it vibrates worse than the wingtip pods of a Hornet.
Just seeking information... I grew up consuming manuals on military hardware, but they just dont print as many, or as easily accesible, ones as they did then.
True. I'm still trying to find better resources than what I have. I've got decent World War II sources and moderately good modern sources, but they're all almost a decade out of date.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:
Umm no, the USN and USMC order recently got cut back, but the F-35 still is looking at firm orders for thousands of aircraft to about a dozen airforces.
Unfortunately, the cost of the prototypes alone (six or eight aircraft combined between the -32 and -35, can't recall off the top of my head) would have paid for a few hundred Raptors. Even one of the planners who helped develop the F-35 feels it's an unnecessary aircraft. No mission it fulfills cannot currently be done by another aircraft.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

The US And Britain ordered 3,006 of the JSF And They said delivery will be ready by 2008.
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

The Dark wrote: Unfortunately, the cost of the prototypes alone (six or eight aircraft combined between the -32 and -35, can't recall off the top of my head) would have paid for a few hundred Raptors. Even one of the planners who helped develop the F-35 feels it's an unnecessary aircraft. No mission it fulfills cannot currently be done by another aircraft.
Surely the US needs JSF as a fighter it can export?
MDC/Boeing had trouble selling the F-15 to all but the very richest countries. How many nations could afford even a token force of Raptors? And how sellable is the Super Hornet?
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Unfortunately, the cost of the prototypes alone (six or eight aircraft combined between the -32 and -35, can't recall off the top of my head) would have paid for a few hundred Raptors. Even one of the planners who helped develop the F-35 feels it's an unnecessary aircraft. No mission it fulfills cannot currently be done by another aircraft.
The JSF is expensive but frankly with stealth becoming as important as it is, we'll need a stealth replacement for a lot of those aircraft.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Dark wrote:
There are no real JSF prototypes. Both the X-32 and X-35 where technology demonstrators. But the costs behind them include all of the heavy devolopment work which does cost billions. Really though, the F-35 is three aircraft that happen to share 75% of there parts. When judging costs it should be thought of as such.

The JSF is far more important then a few hundred F-22's. Already there are orders equal to nearly 3/4's of the F-16 production run, though the F-16 has orders through 2009 and may have more coming.

Also remember that many other countries are counting on it and have paid quite a bit of money. The UK has two billion in the project for development, and several other nations gave 175 million each to have a say in more minor aspects of the design.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Arrow Mk84 wrote:Lockheed won the JSF contract. I think the JSF is going to enter service before the end of the decade.

Still, I love the new Super Hornets.
The Super Hornet is meant to replace the Tomcat as fleet protector and interceptor. One slight problem. The Super Hornet is inferior in every single respect. And it gets worse. All the standard Hornets are going to be replaced by the JSF eventually. So they replace the strike element of the fleet with a better aircraft but put a worse aircraft to replace the Interceptors of the fleet.

The Super Hornet is the wost possible choice the Navy can make. The entire Hornet series will be replaced by the JSF and they put an inferior design to replace the Tomcat.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Interceptors capabilities of the F-14 are of minimal use. Most of the threat they where to counter never existed in the first place. And for medium range work, the Super Hornet is more capable.