BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Darth Wong wrote:
Howedar wrote:Is anyone besides me a little perturbed at how well this is all going?
Everyone knew all along that the invasion would effortlessly sweep through the outlying areas. Saddam pulled all his quality forces back into Baghdad, where he obviously plans to make a stand. At this point, what happens will depend on whether the people around him can organize a coup, and whether his "elite" Republican Guard choose to be smart instead of fanatical.
Well, yeah. I expected the desert to be abandoned. It just bugs me how these port cities were taken with zero casualties. What is the saying, plans never survive first contact with the enemy?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

According to Sky News the Turks have sent troops in...
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Oh crud. Just what we didn't want.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

It says small units have crossed into Iraq now.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:According to Sky News the Turks have sent troops in...
Things will get interesting now. My guess is that we'll tell them both to play nice and turn away from that area -- that fight was going to materialize sooner or later anyway...
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

According to sky news on the TV 1500 Turkish troops have crossed the border.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Btw, the Dow Jones was at its highest point in 20 years today. Also, the price of oil went down a dollar.

Go economic recovery!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Darth Fanboy wrote:The New York Times is reporting a top Iraqi commander just surrendered to US Marines.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 40,00.html

Commander of the Iraqi 51st division. Not sure yet if the troops are surrendering with him though I think.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

There is a marked difference between the uncertainty of looming war and the act of war itself. So long as the US and British forces appear to be heading toward a swift and decisive victory, and so long as civilian casualties are kept relatively low, I think the economic recovery should continue.
Warwolves G2
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

According to the ticker on the TV the division has surrendered with him.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:The New York Times is reporting a top Iraqi commander just surrendered to US Marines.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 40,00.html

Commander of the Iraqi 51st division. Not sure yet if the troops are surrendering with him though I think.
Think the troops just up and left, for the most part.
Warwolves G2
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Commander of the Iraqi 51st division. Not sure yet if the troops are surrendering with him though I think.
Pentagon says 8,000. That's a lot of people to keep watch.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Their 51st Infantry Division has surrendered; Basra is now effectively ours.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

fgalkin wrote:Btw, the Dow Jones was at its highest point in 20 years today. Also, the price of oil went down a dollar.
Um, no. The DJIA is nowhere near it's high. It did, however, post an impressive single-day gain of well over 200 points.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

fgalkin wrote:Btw, the Dow Jones was at its highest point in 20 years today. Also, the price of oil went down a dollar.
No, it had its highest increase, percentage wise, in 20 years over the past couple days. Its still 2500 points below its highest mark. Gold is also down 40 dollars
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Warspite wrote:
Crazy_Vasey wrote:Commander of the Iraqi 51st division. Not sure yet if the troops are surrendering with him though I think.
Pentagon says 8,000. That's a lot of people to keep watch.
I heard that they are telling the soldiers to go home, and stay inside. I'm not sure how solid this is though...I saw it scroll across the screen while I was watching CNN.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Well, doesn't this seem to be a Glorious Little War...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The crossing of Turkish troops has been confirmed by the US government, but the number is only 1000-1500. So far anyway.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Turks claim to be on a humanitarian mission? who the fuck do they thinktheyre kidding the whole world knows they hate kurds and that if northern Iraq becomes Kurdistan they'll go in and slaughter the whole lot of them.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

"We're on a humanitarian mission."

"So...much...pain..."

"Er..."

-BLAM-

"Call it an errand of mercy."
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They're rational for it being a "humanitarian mission" is that it will stop a flood of refugees across the border. In some respect it would help. South Eastern Turkey cant support or house a large number of refugees, and Turkish troops might help keep the lines of supply open. However its not going to work out that way.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Ok, is anybody else really creeped out by this "live from the front" footage of the 7th cavalry? They're sitting around waiting right now, with an Iraqi detatchment right in front of them over the horizon. General Wesley Clark and Aaron Brown are rambling on in the background about what's been going on recently, while this unit could be facing combat at any moment. This is just something you don't expect to see happening live....
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

It is pretty bizarre.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

irishmick79 wrote:Ok, is anybody else really creeped out by this "live from the front" footage of the 7th cavalry? They're sitting around waiting right now, with an Iraqi detatchment right in front of them over the horizon. General Wesley Clark and Aaron Brown are rambling on in the background about what's been going on recently, while this unit could be facing combat at any moment. This is just something you don't expect to see happening live....
I find the idea of a live news crew traveling with a US combat unit at the front to be ......odd......and somehow wrong. I'd be worried that the armor crewers would be busy keeping the newsie from getting dead that they might miss something important and get a true soilder killed as a result.....
BotM
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Iraqi information minister is claiming 207 wounded civilians on TV right now...
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.